DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

hey there

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SubconsciousRitual
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
SubconsciousRitual

hey there Empty
PostSubject: hey there   hey there Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 11:52 pm

Hi all! So I just joined up here this week. I'm maybe a newer TGA fan but have been completely addicted for the last year after seeing Brian on the Revival Tour (well, streaming, not in person).

Music has always been my life, but something about TGA and Brian's writing has completely changed the way I appreciate music. I don't know, it's hard to explain, I just go with it. I figure you guys probably understand!

I just saw them last week and I think it was the best show I've ever seen, (or maybe tied with this year's Revival Tour).

Anyway, hi, I'm Beth.
Back to top Go down
OllieC
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

hey there Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey there   hey there Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 12:02 am

Hey Beth!
I'm Ollie; thought I'd reply because I'm new here too, and also I completely understand what you mean when you talk about the way Brian writes changeing he way you appreciate music. I am a music lover and have been all my life, but TGA (for me at least) are that band that come along once or twice in a lifetime and just change your whole perspective on music, and not to sound dramatic, but life too!

I've never been able to see them live (I live in the east coast of Canada where very few good artists come) but its definitely on my bucket list, because I think it would be such an amazing experience. Hopefully this tour they'll come close to me, or I'll road trip to New York, or New Jersey, or Boston or somewhere.

Anyway in short Hi Beth, welcome to the forum!
Hope you enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
SubconsciousRitual
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
SubconsciousRitual

hey there Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey there   hey there Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 12:18 am

Hi Ollie!
Quote :
change your whole perspective on music, and not to sound dramatic, but life too!
So true!

At the show in Boston there was a group that drove down from Halifax. Such dedication, but it's so much easier when the band will come to you!
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

hey there Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey there   hey there Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 12:36 am

Haha you two will fit in here just fine Smile

Welcome!

I'm Shelby.

I like to space out my typing because reading dense paragraphs sucks.

You're right about TGA being one of those bands that just changes everything.

What's your favorite TGA song? and what do you think of Handwritten? Also, you were at Boston? wasn't the show amazing!

Also, you already have 17 posts already? wow, good work!

I'll shut up now.
Back to top Go down
OllieC
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

hey there Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey there   hey there Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 10:34 am

Dunno if this was aimed at me or Beth, but I'll bite anyway!

Picking a favourite song is like picking a favourite child for me, nigh on impossible because it just depends on the day, my mood etc. But I'll try anyway.

I adore She Loves You. I also can't get enough Blue Jeans and White T-shirts and The Navesank banks. I also love the beat and vibe off The Diamond Street Choir. I love the lyrics of I'da Called You Woody Joe, I'm gonna stop before I list all their songs! haha

As for Handwritten; I'm quietly impressed. I'm not utterly blown away like I was with their other stuff, but I think part of that is all the reviews and feedback I got frommags/on here etc that said how amazing it was.

Its quickly frowing on me though and I definitely think its going to be a favourite of mine soon. Some of the songs like Here Comes My Man, Mulholland Drive, and Too Much Blood are classics to me already, and the othes aren't far behind it.

What are you favourite songs? Your impression of Handwritten?
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

hey there Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey there   hey there Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 11:51 am

Cool! It wass kinda half aimed at both of you, I tried to leave it open that way, haha.

My favs are always the title tracks for some reason and each one outdid the previous for me. Like before AS came out I was like 59 Sound's my favorite Gaslight song, then American Slang, now it's Handwritten. Other favorites though include Mullholland Drive, Mae, Boxer, Bring it On, 1930, The Backseat...okay I'll stop now.

I was blown away by Handwritten which is amazing because my expectations were through the roof. I had started trying to mentally prepare myself to feel "eh" about the album because I knew they were getting too high, but it exceeded them for me. There isn't a bad song, right through the bonus tracks even. I love the direction these guys are going and at the same time I still love what they started with.

Do you have a favorite of their albums?
Back to top Go down
SubconsciousRitual
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
SubconsciousRitual

hey there Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey there   hey there Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 12:07 pm

My faves are 1930 and Navesink Banks (the acoustic version). But then I have 10-20 close seconds--it's so hard to choose!

I love Handwritten. It's so different from everything else, but still so them. I'm not as into the middle tracks, but even those have grown on me a lot over the week. Someone else said on here that the weakest TGA tracks are still better than most other stuff out there, and I agree with that!

Sink or Swim is my favorite album. We Came to Dance, 1930, and Navesink Banks all in a row, just blows me away. We Came to Dance is maybe my 3rd favorite. But yeah, it depends on my mood.

What's your favorite album?
Back to top Go down
OllieC
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

hey there Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey there   hey there Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 12:56 pm

I forgot about 1930; I have a question about that song actually, if you can help. Sorry if its dumb or I should know already or whatever, but who is Mary in that song? Its one of my favourites, but still till this day it confuses the life out of me.

Anyway, for overall sound I have to say my favourite is 59 sound, but I love the blood and thunder of Sink or Swim because it seems like their most punk album. I think thats why Handwritten is growing on me so much; songs like Mulholland Drive, Howl, and Keepsake taking me right back there. I REALLY like where they are heading though.

They're one of the few bands for me that have such different sounds on their albums, but all of them are done so so well. Like AS was such a different sound to 59' sound, especially considering it was a follow-up, but both are just wonderful!

Ps. I forgot earlier; I love the Itunes session version of Boxer! Alot!
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

hey there Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey there   hey there Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 1:10 pm

Beth, I agree with you on those SoS tracks, they're some of my favorites too. My favorite album is definitely Handwritten though. My best to least best (can't say worst) album order is Handwritten, AS, T59S, SoS. The EP is lumped in there somewhere around T59S. I just think they keep getting better and better.

Ollie,
1930 is all about Brian's grandmother having Alzheimer's. Pretty sure (though I forget my source) that Mary was actually his grandmother's name. But I know in the song that Mary is meant to be his Grandmother. "Mary you look just like it was 1930 that night" to me is his way of saying, you were just as beautiful when you died as you were when you were a young woman. Kind of a way of giving her her dignity back because loss of dignity is a horrible thing with old age but it's even worse for Alzheimer's patients. My grandfather just died of that disease so I know a lot about it that I think makes that song have an even greater meaning to me. I think A LOT of people have no idea what the song means. It confused me until someone said on here what it was about and then I was like "DUH!"

I have too many versions of Boxer on my iPod haha. And this band is batting a thousand with me which is really something. Even my least favorites hardly ever get skipped on my iPod.
Back to top Go down
SubconsciousRitual
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
SubconsciousRitual

hey there Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey there   hey there Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 1:27 pm

Quote :
They're one of the few bands for me that have such different sounds on their albums, but all of them are done so so well. Like AS was such a different sound to 59' sound, especially considering it was a follow-up, but both are just wonderful!
Yes yes yes!

I actually came here trying to figure out what 1930 was all about. That's how I found this place! Shelby, I'm sorry about your grandfather. My stepdad just got diagnosed with Parkinson's which is a bit similar in terms of what happens to the mind. If I'm in a certain mood, 1930 can make me cry. But if I'm in another mood it just makes me dance. Guess that's why I love it!

Shelby, it's awesome that Handwritten is your favorite. It takes an amazing band in order to say their 4th album is your fave.

I do love the "blood and thunder" of SoS. I tend to be drawn more to the loud, fast, upbeat stuff. But that's one of the things I was saying about Brian changing music for me. Like the acoustic version of Great Expectations made me appreciate the song so much more, and really pay attention to the imagery he uses. I used to be all about the music (not just TGA, but music in general) and not really care about the lyrics as much. But he's such an incredible songwriter! So now I appreciate the slower, quieter stuff too, because it's just as brilliant.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

hey there Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey there   hey there Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 1:57 pm

Welcome to the forum Beth, and you too Ollie! Smile There are a lot of great people around here and I hope you have fun!

Shelby, I agree with everything you've said about Handwritten, and our order of favorite albums still matches up exactly. Handwritten is definitely my favorite!
Back to top Go down
OllieC
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

hey there Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey there   hey there Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 2:46 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather, its never nice to lose a loved one, but Alzheimers is cruel. My condolences.

Wow, thats showed me 1930 in a whole new light; i read your explanation and then read again; its even more beautiful and touching than before; I teared up and I'm not even personallly affected by it.

I always forget about the EP, which surprises me because its wonderful. I can totally understand Handwritten being your favourite because everytime I listen to it I fall more and more in love with it, and give it another week and I'm sure it'll be my favourite.

And thanks for the welcome Shannon; I can't get over how nice this forum is, I'm so used to everybody fighting and yelling at each other on forums. This one is by far my favourite!
Back to top Go down
SubconsciousRitual
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
SubconsciousRitual

hey there Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey there   hey there Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 5:44 pm

Hi Shannon!

Ollie, I'm convinced TGA fans are the nicest people. At the Boston show (which Shelby, I forgot to say yes was amazing!) it was wall-to-wall dancing and a billion degrees but I don't think I've been to another show where people were so generally respectful of each other and space. And everyone was friendly. I've been to so many shows where fans just want to be more cool than the people next to them.
Back to top Go down
OllieC
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

hey there Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey there   hey there Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 9:25 pm

Quote :
I've been to so many shows where fans just want to be more cool than the people next to them.

I know what you mean entirely! Every show I've been to (including two Warped Tours) have been full of people too busy trying to be "Scene" and "Cool" to actually give a damn about their fellow fans, its actually really refreshing to meet people who are united by a common interest, and are respectful of it too. I love coming on here and talking about something I love, knowing no-one is going to mock or call me an idiot!

Sounds like I HAVE to check out a TGA show on this tour then! ROAD TRIP!!!!
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

hey there Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey there   hey there Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 9:38 pm

Shannon I feel like I haven't talked to you in forever! That needs to change.

Thanks for the condolences. It is a cruel disease and he had it for around eight years and he's much better off now. My other grandfather has parkinsons but I know very little about the mental aspect of that disease. (Haha, I'm doomed genetically). 1930 is always intense to me which I like. and I think "I love you more than the stars in the sky but you're name just escapes me tonight" might be one of the most brilliant lyrics ever written. I'm going to get it as a tattoo at some point in memory of my grandfather. I saw online some girl got the first part of that line tattooed (which is fine, it can be taken out of context) but then she tweeted at the guys "I love 1930 but what does it mean". I laughed because I think it's a bit crazy to get something tattooed before you know the original meaning, even if you choose a different meaning. You never know what you might screw up!

It's cool that everyone on here is a major fan but we all favor different aspects of the band. Some like SoS more because it's punkier, some favor the last two albums because they're smoother but still have that TGA style, etc. But for the most part everyone can debate civilly (avoid the Ian Perkins thread!) haha.

Boston had an excellent crowd. I'd say 99% of those fans were great people and there for the right reasons. NYC was the worst crowd and had so many assholes but that' okay because it was still a great show. But the crowd's the reason Boston was probably my second favorite concert of all time, not NY.

The real fans though are really the coolest people ever.
Back to top Go down
SubconsciousRitual
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
SubconsciousRitual

hey there Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey there   hey there Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 1:49 am

I do love how everyone has such different opinions about different songs, but we all love TGA so we share a common bond. I definitely think I'll be road tripping when they come around again. I wish I had gone to more shows on this last tour!

Shelby, what was your all-time favorite concert? Was it Gaslight? I think that Boston show was my all-time favorite. The Revival Tour in the spring is right up there, but the crowd was not cool that night. There were a lot of people there to mosh, which was ridiculous.

It is a little crazy to get a tattoo if you don't know what it means! I was recently telling a friend those lines from 1930 are the most beautiful lyrics ever. That would make a great tattoo, for someone who gets it for the right reason!

As for being doomed genetically, you gotta do crossword puzzles and stuff like that to keep your brain active! And never stop going to shows. I tell myself music will keep me young and active forever. We'll see, ha!
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

hey there Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey there   hey there Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 11:37 am

My all time favorite concert is easily the most recent Springsteen concert I went to at MSG. If you haven't seen Bruce in concert, do it, trust me, even if you're not a fan. His concerts are like a spiritual experience (without actually being religious haha). It's impossible to beat Bruce for "best concert" in my opinion.

BUT Boston was a close second. That show was amazing. Although I wish I could have taken the Webster Hall show and put it in the Boston venue with all those fans. So incredible though. I wish I had had a bit more energy than I did though. Waiting in line all day really drained me, haha. There were people moshing on the Revival Tour? what? this is why Europe/the UK is better, I saw the Revival Tour in London and that crowd was wonderful.

Yea I do need to do more to keep my brain active in that sense haha.
Back to top Go down
SubconsciousRitual
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
SubconsciousRitual

hey there Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey there   hey there Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 1:22 pm

I have somehow never connected with Bruce Springsteen's music ( I know, I know, am I crazy?). But I go to concerts of artists/bands who I don't necessarily listen to but who blow me away live, so maybe one day I'll get to see him. If I could afford the tickets!

Yeah, the Against Me! fans were moshing on the Revival Tour. I happened to be standing right in front of Laura Jane (was still Tommy at that point) so everyone descended upon me during that set. A couple of guys got in a fight too and Dave Hause had to tell them it wasn't that kind of show. Really, no show is that kind of show!
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

hey there Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey there   hey there Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 1:56 pm

How much Springsteen have you actually heard? haha. but really I only ask b/c most of the people I know, know him for the Born in the USA album which, in my opinion, is like the least engaging album he's written. Although I love it. Have you heard Born to Run (album) in it's entirety? I took a friend who was never a fan and is mostly into Top 40 stuff to a show and she had a blast.

Oh, I could see the Against Me! fans doing that (nothing personal to them as I'm slowly becoming one). I got lucky, the Gaslight fans were really cool at the revival tour and they made up the majority of the audience. It was the perfect crowd. Very into it, enjoying the music whether they knew the artist playing or not, but no unnecessary shoving and no crowdsurfing or moshing.

Back to top Go down
SubconsciousRitual
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
SubconsciousRitual

hey there Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey there   hey there Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 3:06 pm

Admittedly, I've never listened to a Springsteen album all the way through! A friend of mine is always sending me random youtube links of songs to try to get me into him. Actually it's usually 'Nebraska' which is a pretty good song, but I think he wants me to say it's the greatest song I've ever heard. I don't think I'm hearing what other people are hearing!

The Against Me! stuff I heard was great. Definitely nothing against the fans, although I'm not sure I'd risk going to an actual Against Me! show. Or I wouldn't risk being up front, at least!
Back to top Go down
OllieC
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

hey there Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey there   hey there Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 3:16 pm

Shelby is right about Springsteen; his best stuff is definitely not Born In The USA. Not get me wrong, its a good album, but Born To Run is a masterpiece. It took me a little while to get into Springsteen (and it was coz of TGA) but now I'm obsessed with him, just lapping up his albums. I'm in love with his debut Ashbury Partk NJ right now.

I'm seeing him next month and it'll be my first Springsteen show; I honestly couldn't be more excited because I've heard nothing but incredible things about him. Its Aug 26th I see him and it honestly can't come quick enough.
Back to top Go down
SubconsciousRitual
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
SubconsciousRitual

hey there Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey there   hey there Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 5:15 pm

I apparently have some catching up to do! Maybe my love for TGA will help me get into Springsteen a bit more. Enjoy the show, I'm sure it'll be amazing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

hey there Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey there   hey there Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

hey there
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: The Board :: Introduce Yourself-
Jump to: