DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam...

Go down 
+9
drifter69
StitchesOnTheRadio
DiamondSinatra
Jack
Grant Michael
bakerfall
CluckyB
simo
TheContender
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TheContender
A Contender
A Contender
TheContender

"Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam... Empty
PostSubject: "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam...   "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 10:44 pm

does anyone else notice some similarities? Not necessarily glaring, but I hear it. Not surprising given Brian has said that's his favorite PJ song..
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam...   "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 11:24 pm

Well I'd never heard the song before just now. Yeah, it's not glaring. It's mostly just the pacing and the harmonica that is similar.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam...   "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 12:17 am

Love the lyrics to this song. Still not feeling the music. The whole "bone chillingly personal message masked by a fast happy tune" worked so well for 1930 I'd probably be happier if he repeated it. But stuff like "I just want to love someone who has the same blood" is really powerful.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam...   "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 11:00 am

The chords/harmonica are similar. It's also Brian's favorite Pearl Jam song and he played on a radio show a few weeks ago ("Smile").
Back to top Go down
Grant Michael
A Contender
A Contender
Grant Michael

PostSubject: Re: "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam...   "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 11:52 am

Yeah, I posted the same thing on the "Handwritten: Impressions" thread yesterday. The similarity in the riff is even more evident in PJ's live performances of the song.

Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam...   "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 2:09 pm

Doesn't sound like it at all. It's just the "Neil Young stomp" rhythm (that's what I call it, anyway). But yeah, no substantive similarity.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
DiamondSinatra
A Contender
A Contender
DiamondSinatra

PostSubject: Re: "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam...   "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 4:04 pm

JackStreetcar wrote:
Doesn't sound like it at all. It's just the "Neil Young stomp" rhythm (that's what I call it, anyway). But yeah, no substantive similarity.

Really? It is glaring to me, especially the beginning. This isn't neccesarily a bad thing though...just as Red at Night pays homage to Billie Bragg/Guthrie
Back to top Go down
http://www.robdirienzo.com
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam...   "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 4:24 pm

chaingangchorus wrote:
JackStreetcar wrote:

Really? It is glaring to me, especially the beginning. This isn't neccesarily a bad thing though...just as Red at Night pays homage to Billie Bragg/Guthrie

Well, superficially, sure. The harmonica, rhythm and tempo allow the listener to draw up some surface comparisons, but musically they're not similar at all. Meaning the chords and melody.
Back to top Go down
DiamondSinatra
A Contender
A Contender
DiamondSinatra

PostSubject: Re: "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam...   "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 4:38 pm

JackStreetcar wrote:
chaingangchorus wrote:
JackStreetcar wrote:

Well, superficially, sure. The harmonica, rhythm and tempo allow the listener to draw up some surface comparisons, but musically they're not similar at all. Meaning the chords and melody.

The chords are really irrelevant in terms of sound, and the melody is very similar. You're entitled to your own opinion, but nothing is really superficial about the comparison...
Back to top Go down
TheContender
A Contender
A Contender
TheContender

PostSubject: Re: "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam...   "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 9:18 pm

Melody is similar for sure. If you believe otherwise, you aren't listening closely.

Harmonica too...."ready eady eady' vs. "heart heart heart"...I mean, come on.

It's not a copy cat by any means, just some similarities and, again, not surprising given Brian's love for "Smile". It influenced him and there's nothing wrong with that. Good stuff.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam...   "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 4:52 pm

My point was all this "oh this sounds like this" stuff should never even be brought up unless it's so glaring, blatant and specific that the original artist could actually sue (and win) in a court of law. Otherwise it's just a case of there being a million songs with twelve notes.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam...   "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 12:57 am

chaingangchorus wrote:
JackStreetcar wrote:
chaingangchorus wrote:
JackStreetcar wrote:

The chords are really irrelevant in terms of sound, and the melody is very similar. You're entitled to your own opinion, but nothing is really superficial about the comparison...

Haha I love that you said "chords are irrelevant in terms of sound" it just cracked me up because of how much people seem to obsess over similar chords on here.

I think it's glaringly obvious in the beginning too. But again, not a bad thing and it's not like Pearl Jam is the only one to do something like that. I get what Jack's saying in terms of how you can always compare songs to other songs and it's dumb to do that a ton but I think this is close enough that it's worth pointing out. Especially since this isn't a random artist they MAY have been influenced by, it's freakin Pearl Jam. Of course this influenced Keepsake.
Back to top Go down
drifter69
Wooderson
Wooderson
drifter69

PostSubject: Re: "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam...   "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 1:02 pm

keepsake reminds me of tom petty!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mafiamusic.proboards99.com
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam...   "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 2:30 pm

This had to be one of the most painful songs to write.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam...   "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 12:52 pm

Listened to it again...seriously, the songs have nothing in common other than having Neil Young influence and a harmonica. I don't know how else to put this so it can be understood, but they're just not the same song at ALL.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam...   "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 1:02 pm

Both songs are on my ipod. If I hit shuffle and they didnt' come up back to back, I'd never notice the similarities. They're easily different enough to very clearly be different songs. And the intro is the only similar part. That said, Smile is Brian's favorite PJ song is it not? You seriously don't think it maybe influenced the sound of that intro? Again, I hate obsessing over "this sounds like that" too, but it's been pointed out and I think it's a fair argument.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam...   "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 1:12 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Both songs are on my ipod. If I hit shuffle and they didnt' come up back to back, I'd never notice the similarities. They're easily different enough to very clearly be different songs. And the intro is the only similar part. That said, Smile is Brian's favorite PJ song is it not? You seriously don't think it maybe influenced the sound of that intro? Again, I hate obsessing over "this sounds like that" too, but it's been pointed out and I think it's a fair argument.

Oh, sure it could have influenced it. No doubts there. But all the similarities are superficial. There is no melodic comparison to be made, that was the point I was trying to make.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam...   "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 2:32 pm

JackStreetcar wrote:
StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:

Oh, sure it could have influenced it. No doubts there. But all the similarities are superficial. There is no melodic comparison to be made, that was the point I was trying to make.

That's fair.
Back to top Go down
TheContender
A Contender
A Contender
TheContender

PostSubject: Re: "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam...   "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 9:10 pm

Feel free to believe as you wish, Jack. I mean, Brian's never made songs based on influence by other bands, so why would his favorite song by his favorite band have any influence on a song he wrote? Smile You're right, WAY off base!
Back to top Go down
Jeff
A Contender
A Contender
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam...   "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 10:21 pm

Quote :
Feel free to believe as you wish, Jack. I mean, Brian's never made songs based on influence by other bands, so why would his favorite song by his favorite band have any influence on a song he wrote? Smile You're right, WAY off base!
JackStreetcar wrote:

Oh, sure it could have influenced it.

Yeah, he really didn't say that it couldn't have influenced it. Quite the opposite. Jack was just rightfully pointing out that the song's key, chords, and vocal melody have nothing to do with each other.

Personally, I think it just brought to mind that thing Brian said ages ago about the new album sounding like Neil Young (with harmonica and such) but "really big." And I think they nailed it, it's awesome.
Back to top Go down
DiamondSinatra
A Contender
A Contender
DiamondSinatra

PostSubject: Re: "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam...   "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 10:54 pm

JackStreetcar wrote:
superficial

"Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam... You_keep_using_that_word_large
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam...   "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 10:58 pm

chaingangchorus wrote:
JackStreetcar wrote:
superficial

Plus I have an itch you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Do you really want to go there, dude? I've posted my music here time and time again, and not to sound like an ass but it's not some talentless kid whispering off-key over an out-of-tune acoustic guitar. I know what I'm talking about. As does JlBlue. Just listen to what I'm saying.
Back to top Go down
DiamondSinatra
A Contender
A Contender
DiamondSinatra

PostSubject: Re: "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam...   "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 11:08 pm

JackStreetcar wrote:
chaingangchorus wrote:
JackStreetcar wrote:
superficial

Plus I have an itch you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Do you really want to go there, dude? I've posted my music here time and time again, and not to sound like an ass but it's not some talentless kid whispering off-key over an out-of-tune acoustic guitar. I know what I'm talking about. As does JlBlue. Just listen to what I'm saying.

Yeah I redacted that part as you'll see above, sorry. But I'm saying it's beyond the chords, I say they sound identical in the beginning, you don't. That's it.
Back to top Go down
saltandburn1967
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
saltandburn1967

PostSubject: Re: "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam...   "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 11:10 pm

Someone is always trying to start shit on the forums.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam...   "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam... Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 10:03 am

saltandburn1967 wrote:
Someone is always trying to start shit on the forums.

I do hope you're not referring to me. I'm only trying to impart knowledge. I can't control it if a couple of uninformed posters respond with sarcastic, patronizing comments.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam...   "Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Keepsake" sounds like "Smile" by Pearl Jam...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next