DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid

Go down 
+27
JJW319
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
moonlight
SubconsciousRitual
CluckyB
drifter69
Yozzy
gaslightfan89
TheContender
cockypessimist
Jack
StitchesOnTheRadio
jzancan
bakerfall
fatbench
njguy99
eagles1139
nebraska
TGAFAN25
DaleCooper
A_Regular
Kosburn59
IKeeptheDiner
bringiton_ty
rumham
Christophe
Xanthias
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
gaslightfan89
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid   National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:30 am

Here's looking at you kid is the consummate slow song from Gaslight in my mind. But National Anthem is going to give it a run for its money. I am surprised by the lack of love for National Anthem, I really love the song.
Back to top Go down
Yozzy
A Contender
A Contender
Yozzy

PostSubject: Re: National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid   National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:43 am

National Anthem. May be the best song on Handwritten. I like it's lack of structure in comparison to Here's Looking At You, Kid. Both fantastic songs.
Back to top Go down
drifter69
Wooderson
Wooderson
drifter69

PostSubject: Re: National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid   National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 1:34 pm

more i listen to national anthem the more i kinda think i love it more than here's looking at you.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.mafiamusic.proboards99.com
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid   National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 2:31 pm

National Anthem is just too disconnected for me. Maybe I'm just missing the deeper meaning, but like, I love the whole "Now everybody lately is living up in space" metaphor as a Brian expressing his apprehensions about the internet, but I'm not sure how it fits the rest of the song. Likewise, the "take it easy baby, it's not over yet" is beautiful but seems to contradict "The place where you were in my heart is now closed". How many different things is Brian trying to sing about here?

Also "we drink on the job and go home early" really bugs me. Completely breaks the flow of the song. That and not quieting his voice down at the end of the song are the two real detractors.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid   National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 4:20 pm

I was gonna make a new thread for this but thought it was better to come into this one. Sorry this is a long one!!

National Anthem IMHO is the masterpiece of Handwritten. It's now in the top 5 Gaslight songs for me. I don't hear I'm On Fire or HLAYK - I hear echo's of Jackson Browne. Brians vocals are superb - this is my favourite 'Brian Voice' - I love it when he sings like this. The acoustic guitar and strings are beautiful. This song shows how much potential Brian has to get even better as a songwriter.

I'm liking the whole album a little bit more now but on the first couple of listens I was underwhelmed. But as soon as National Anthem came on, my heart fluttered, my ears pricked up, I knew instantly it was special. I'd love to hear more of this kind of song from Brian - either in Gaslight, Horrible Crowes or solo.

This is how I interpret the song:

To me this is Brian closing a chapter in Gaslight's career. He's saying goodbye to places, people and things he used to write about. The old Gaslight of diners, ferris wheels, old cars, dancing with maria. He needs to move on and write about other things - the band is changing. Nothing lasts forever. All good things come to an end.

I never will forget you my American love
And I'll always remember you, wild as they come
And though if I saw you I'd pretend not to know
The place where you were in my heart is now closed
I already live with too many ghosts

American love = Gaslight Anthem of old. He's saying goodbye to the previous chapter of the band.
The "Ghosts"= time to step out of his influence's shadows.

Now everybody lately is living up in space
Flying through transmissions on invisible airwaves
With everything discovered just waiting to be known
What's left for God to teach from his thrown?
And who will forgive us when he's gone?

As CluckyB says, this is Brian saying we're now in the age of Twitter, Facebook etc. Is there a place anymore for nostalgia, soul, spirit - things romanticized by the old Gaslight? People will need these things less and less.

So, take what you need now honey
And do what you like
Don't worry about me Mama, I'm alright

The old Gaslight records will always be there to fall back on and reminisce.

And I can't stand the weather, no I never liked the rain
We drink on the job then we go home early
And I remember she used to look so good in that dress
Now she just screams how I promised her more than this
Take it easy baby, it ain't over yet

I get old song references here. Weather/Rain = Wooderson, Contender. Is the dress the same one from Old White Lincoln? What he's saying here is if you keep living the same things over and over again it will no longer be romantic or exciting but boring and mundane. Stuck in a rut, a dead end. "It ain't over yet" because he's saying there's more to come from the 'new' Gaslight.

So, take what you need now honey
And do what you like
Don't worry about me Mama, I'm alright

And if there's something you need
And if there's something you find
Whatever gets you through the night
Whatever gets you through the night

I never will forget you my american love
And I'll always remember you wild as they do come

Again, here he is saying you still have the old records if you need them but it's goodbye to the old Gaslight. Sad

Sorry for the long post but this is just what I get from the song - to me it is a heartbreaking masterpiece and worth the money I paid for the deluxe boxset alone. The whole album may have fell a bit short for me but as long as Brian keeps producing songs like this I'll be a lifelong fan. Cool
Back to top Go down
SubconsciousRitual
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
SubconsciousRitual

PostSubject: Re: National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid   National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 10:41 pm

I didn't notice a similarity. I love National Anthem way more than Here's Looking At You, Kid. Here's Looking is a good song, but it was never one of my favorites.

Off topic, but am I the only one who likes Teenage Rebellion more than Blue Dahlia? Again, I like Blue Dahlia, but not nearly as much.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid   National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 5:47 pm

Not sure if it's already been mentioned but my view is that Brian threw in a couple of lines in National Anthem that stick out a mile deliberately as some kind of artistic statement if you know what I mean. The lines I'm referring to are:

'I can't stand the weather no I never liked the rain, we drink on the job and we go home early'

It doesn't sound right as it doesn't rhyme and disrupts the flow of the song. When I listened I presumed the line would be:

'I can't stand the weather no I never liked the rain, we drink on the job and we go home again'

It seems like the logical word to rhyme with rain and I think Brian knows this but threw in early to surprise the listener perhaps?

The other one is at the end:

'I never will forget you my American love, and I'll always remember you wild as they do come'

Again adding 'do' disrupts the flow of the song and personally I just find these two points distracting and is the main reason i can't warm to this song like some others. Again I don't know if Brian did it purposefully to make it different or something I don't know. I just feel these little details stop the song from being great which I think is shame because it is almost perfectly written.
Back to top Go down
moonlight
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
moonlight

PostSubject: Re: National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid   National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 9:55 am

dan gaslight wrote:
I was gonna make a new thread for this but thought it was better to come into this one. Sorry this is a long one!!
the description fits perfectly, what about the title now?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid   National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 2:46 pm

moonlight wrote:
dan gaslight wrote:
the description fits perfectly, what about the title now?

Yeah, I was trying to think about that! Well it's got the word 'Anthem' in it so there must be a connection somewhere......hahaha......I'm working on it! study
Back to top Go down
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
A Contender
A Contender
sandyangryjohnnyormary?

PostSubject: Re: National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid   National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 3:08 pm

CluckyB wrote:
Likewise, the "take it easy baby, it's not over yet" is beautiful but seems to contradict.

How does that contradict? I agree that the song is a bit disjointed, but some of the lines are so good that it's still one of my favorites.
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid   National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 1:16 am

Christophe wrote:
Not sure if it's already been mentioned but my view is that Brian threw in a couple of lines in National Anthem that stick out a mile deliberately as some kind of artistic statement if you know what I mean. The lines I'm referring to are:

'I can't stand the weather no I never liked the rain, we drink on the job and we go home early'

It doesn't sound right as it doesn't rhyme and disrupts the flow of the song. When I listened I presumed the line would be:

'I can't stand the weather no I never liked the rain, we drink on the job and we go home again'

It seems like the logical word to rhyme with rain and I think Brian knows this but threw in early to surprise the listener perhaps?

'I never will forget you my American love, and I'll always remember you wild as they do come'

Again adding 'do' disrupts the flow of the song and personally I just find these two points distracting and is the main reason i can't warm to this song like some others. Again I don't know if Brian did it purposefully to make it different or something I don't know. I just feel these little details stop the song from being great which I think is shame because it is almost perfectly written.

if this were in person, my esponse: Frying Pan
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid   National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 1:26 am

CluckyB wrote:
Likewise, the "take it easy baby, it's not over yet" is beautiful but seems to contradict "The place where you were in my heart is now closed". How many different things is Brian trying to sing about here?

well i don't think he's talking to the same person, so no contradictions there.

and Brian is singing about a lot of things. big, important things that define the character and those like him. hence National Anthem.

that's how i see it.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid   National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 2:55 am

Christophe wrote:

Brian's American so no, that would not rhyme. Besides, since when does Brian rhyme on every line? He's written entire verses or choruses of songs that hardly ever rhyme, if at all.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid   National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 6:57 am

JackStreetcar wrote:
Christophe wrote:

Brian's American so no, that would not rhyme. Besides, since when does Brian rhyme on every line? He's written entire verses or choruses of songs that hardly ever rhyme, if at all.

Thanks for telling me Brian is American I didn't realise that! Ok it's a half rhyme - rain and again sound similar even if you pronounce it 'agen'. I'm not saying every line has to rhyme I'm just saying in a song like this for me it disrupts the flow that's all. I think you notice it more since there is such sparse instrumentation there is naturally more focus on the lyrics.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid   National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 6:59 am

JJW319 wrote:
Christophe wrote:

if this were in person, my esponse: Frying Pan

Why the frying pan? Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid   National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 1:23 pm

Christophe wrote:
JackStreetcar wrote:
Christophe wrote:

Thanks for telling me Brian is American I didn't realise that! Ok it's a half rhyme - rain and again sound similar even if you pronounce it 'agen'. I'm not saying every line has to rhyme I'm just saying in a song like this for me it disrupts the flow that's all. I think you notice it more since there is such sparse instrumentation there is naturally more focus on the lyrics.

I figured you knew he was American, but I had to state that to make the point that it wouldn't rhyme. I think that was quite clear, actually.

As far as sparse instrumentation bringing a focus to the lyrics and an increased need for rhyme, what about this?

And there was blood on my teeth
From the long winter here
Bones broke in half
A stain on my shirt
From a couple hours out with the boys
And all good things come to an end
And all memory has left my bones

I'm not seeing any issue with that part in National Anthem, considering Brian's always written like this. It doesn't disrupt the flow of the song at all.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid   National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 1:38 pm

JackStreetcar wrote:
Christophe wrote:
JackStreetcar wrote:
Christophe wrote:

I figured you knew he was American, but I had to state that to make the point that it wouldn't rhyme. I think that was quite clear, actually.

As far as sparse instrumentation bringing a focus to the lyrics and an increased need for rhyme, what about this?

And there was blood on my teeth
From the long winter here
Bones broke in half
A stain on my shirt
From a couple hours out with the boys
And all good things come to an end
And all memory has left my bones

I'm not seeing any issue with that part in National Anthem, considering Brian's always written like this. It doesn't disrupt the flow of the song at all.

I was being sarcastic geek Of course I know he is American but I don't really think it matters if he was English or American those two words are still a half-rhyme anyway.

Cherry Blossoms is a different song so it's hard to compare it lyric-wise and I'm not saying every line has to rhyme at all. I have no problem with lines that don't rhyme, I just think with NA it doesn't quite sound right on a couple of occasions. Don't get me wrong I really like the song but it's just not one of my favourites for the reasons I mentioned. I think we will just have to agree to disagree on this one.
Back to top Go down
FelixMA
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
FelixMA

PostSubject: Re: National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid   National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 7:40 am

I think National Anthem is a really beautiful song but Heres Lookin' At You Kid wins every single time for me, theres just something really endearing about it.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid   National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 9:37 am

If we're honest theres more of a comparison between HLAYK and Mae, similar tempo, similar subject matter and similar overall sound. HLAYK wins out of those two and also beats National Anthem.
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid   National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 9:54 am

HLAYK was my favourite 'slower' TGA song but I think Mae has just sneaked ahead. It's incredible. So much power and emotion it kills me every time I hear it.
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid   National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 4:01 pm

here's lookin at you kid. end of conversation. why is it end of conversation? cus i'm an arogant prick who doesn't think his opinion needs to be backed up by a coherent argument. that's why. spelling is for geeks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid   National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

National Anthem vs Here's Looking at You, Kid
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2