DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love

Go down 
+131
matkins
nebraska
Andy_
plugga
tom.TGA.punk
DeathoftheCool
spork13
gunner
the original gauche
19thirty
nico0493
Breanne
Xanthias
GuitarMike
DiamondSinatra
thomas94
gib786
Zapuda
daria_pepper
SubconsciousRitual
Grant Michael
drifter69
loazis
pleasepassthesoup
bringiton_ty
CluckyB
TheContender
holdsteady82
huckafooter
Raoul_Duke
CapedAvenger
Kosburn59
JacksSmirkingRevenge
EveryWordHandwritten
Chappers
Jerseyrain
punkrox889
PPQ
njguy99
sandinista
sportshack
TGA30
Brother Beck
Emusic
jonnyz83
moreblue
fake_empire
Klown
Prisoner
rsj
scarsrsouvenirs
Afzoomie67
NeverTrustAJunkie
Little Eden
steph
TGAforLIFE
azlisa
jeffrey2
NYYFAN523
danny4690
Camus
YorkDan
mingus
heals
JJW319
charlesepting
bringiton
kirstyt
Ghost
steady now steady now
Casey
StitchesOnTheRadio
bt211
Shrewsbury_Stars
FelixMA
The Angry Johnny Revue
Bea
moconnell23
Harbortown
gking92
RandyMachoManCabbage
40 Miler
White Man In Hammersmith
simo
vamike
YouCanCallMeSally
JonnyisRFC
bakerfall
Jack
songs like a comfort
TheEmptyBones
EveryLittleSecret
DavyGrolton
IAmDisappeared
rumham
HorribleCrowe
Steve70s
Hanswurst
Midnight Rambler
Try Me
TGAFAN25
MKULTRA
EveryRikiHandwritten
snakester
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
SirBrad
IrishNameAndAnInjury
thebiglebowski
Jonnyn8
OldManShoes3
StateOfLoveAndGaslight
Chesser19
Vibes
The M
gtalbott
spgilbert
Labhras
ghosttocoast
riversedge
Yozzy
elliott4296
Holland
ral
DaleCooper
saltandburn1967
Christophe
acousticbandit
brianisbae
A_Regular
rgillies
eagles1139
135 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 26 ... 35  Next
AuthorMessage
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 7:11 pm

Thought I'd finally gotten tired of the album after 20 or so npr listens. Got the higher quality version on me now and it's like the first listen all over again!
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 7:16 pm

i still can't get beyond Mulholland Drive I love you
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 7:17 pm

THIS IS MY 20 ODDTH LISTEN AND IT'S FINALLY HIT ME THAT THIS ALBUM IS A CLASSIC! I'VE FINALLY GOT THAT FEELING I HAVE FOR ALL OF TGA'S OTHER WORKS!!!!
Back to top Go down
Emusic
A Contender
A Contender
Emusic

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 7:20 pm

That album is way to good, it goes above my head!
I'm not lying if i say i listen to that album up to 10 times a day since it on NPR.
Can't wait untill i have the album actually in my hands!!!

It's in my top 3 2012 albums togheter with Springsteens Wrecking Ball and Cory Branan's Mutt.
Back to top Go down
http://www.elena-fotografie.be & http://themusicmakesmehappy
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
A_Regular

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 7:48 pm

The lyrics of blue dahlia are pretty clunky, I can see why it was dropped. Song rules, just not for the mainstream thing they are going for.
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
A_Regular

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 7:50 pm

Wow blue dahlia is insanely good, the chorus sounds off though
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 7:54 pm

A_Regular wrote:
The lyrics of blue dahlia are pretty clunky, I can see why it was dropped. Song rules, just not for the mainstream thing they are going for.

Can't help but completely disagree... Its the most catchy and appealing song to me by far over any of the others, even 45
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 8:10 pm

I lost track but I think I've listened 18 times in a row over 3 days (it would be higher if I wasn't working so much). I don't think I've ever done that with an record.

Handwritten has ousted Wrecking Ball as my favorite record this year. I have to wait a little longer too know for sure but I think it has also ousted Elsie as my favorite Fallon record.

I wanna try listening to it now on shuffle with the other albums.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 8:12 pm

Klown wrote:
Vibes wrote:
StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Seriously how are people finding this so easily?

It's technically out in Germany now.

and most of Europe.

I know that but where are the US people finding it?
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
A_Regular

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 8:23 pm

Secret internet websites that don't exist shhhhhhhhhhh
Back to top Go down
Brother Beck
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Brother Beck

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 9:16 pm

I’ve been coming to this forum for a couple years now to get my Gaslight news, but I’ve never wanted to register before today. I had to sign up just to say that the new album is incredible, but I really cannot see why Blue Dahlia was left off. At least with She Loves You in regards to American Slang (the album), I can see that it was a stylistic departure from the rest of the songs, even though I believe it to be one of the best songs from those sessions. Blue Dahlia fits the style of this album perfectly, and I really find it to be one of the stronger songs by a longshot. If it were on the album I would definitely consider it one of the major highlights, both musically and lyrically. Plus, it’s not like the album had way too many songs and they needed to trim something somewhere - 11 tracks really aren’t that many.

I don’t want to come off as sounding too negative here, but it’s a huge head-scratcher for me… It’s a great album and at least we got to have the song in some form, but one of the things I’ve always loved about Gaslight is that they put out full albums that feel perfect to me. This one just feels kinda incomplete to me without Blue Dahlia on it.

At the end of the day, I guess it’s much better to have too many awesome songs and no place to put them rather than not enough good songs to even fill up an album.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 10:47 pm

A_Regular wrote:
Secret internet websites that don't exist shhhhhhhhhhh

Well I can't spill the beans because I don't know about these websites apparently.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 17 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 11:43 pm

Brother Beck wrote:
I’ve been coming to this forum for a couple years now to get my Gaslight news, but I’ve never wanted to register before today. I had to sign up just to say that the new album is incredible, but I really cannot see why Blue Dahlia was left off. At least with She Loves You in regards to American Slang (the album), I can see that it was a stylistic departure from the rest of the songs, even though I believe it to be one of the best songs from those sessions. Blue Dahlia fits the style of this album perfectly, and I really find it to be one of the stronger songs by a longshot. If it were on the album I would definitely consider it one of the major highlights, both musically and lyrically. Plus, it’s not like the album had way too many songs and they needed to trim something somewhere - 11 tracks really aren’t that many.

I don’t want to come off as sounding too negative here, but it’s a huge head-scratcher for me… It’s a great album and at least we got to have the song in some form, but one of the things I’ve always loved about Gaslight is that they put out full albums that feel perfect to me. This one just feels kinda incomplete to me without Blue Dahlia on it.

At the end of the day, I guess it’s much better to have too many awesome songs and no place to put them rather than not enough good songs to even fill up an album.

Thank god for tumblr. Finally found it.

I agree with you 100%. I'd love to know why they kept it off because not only does it fit, I think this would be a great song to release as a single and they've kind of lost that option by making it a bonus song. There must have been a good reason because it seems so obvious to me that you'd put it on the album. But you're right, at least we have it.
Back to top Go down
Brother Beck
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Brother Beck

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 12:17 am

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. Each time I listen to the album, Blue Dahlia definitely stands out as a highlight. It screams single to me, and really seems to contain/sum up everything they seemed to be going for with this project.

I've only heard the 1:30 preview of the other bonus track Teenage Rebellion, and while that one sounds really cool and interesting too, I can see it being a bonus track based on how it sounds.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 12:21 am

Yeah, to be honest, Blue Dahlia sounds more radio-ready than practically anything else on Handwritten besides maybe 45. And it is a great song.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 12:25 am

Yeah, I was just gonna say Blue Dahlia seems like the song most likely to ignite on rock radio, but hey, maybe there's something we don't know. Can't imagine what that is, since everyone seems to love the song, but whatever.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 12:29 am

Also did you guys notice in Blue Dahlia? - "I've been so low down I'm almost level with the ground"

I know that's a line from an old song but interesting that's on both the Horrible Crowes song and this
Back to top Go down
gtalbott
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
gtalbott

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 12:38 am

simo wrote:
Also did you guys notice in Blue Dahlia? - "I've been so low down I'm almost level with the ground"

I know that's a line from an old song but interesting that's on both the Horrible Crowes song and this

Yep that's off Crush, love it. One of my fav THC songs
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 12:44 am

I feel like someone either in the band, at mercury, or Mr. O'Brien deserves a Frying Pan

Seriously though, can someone either ask the guys this question at a show or something? I'm going to try when I go Sunday/Tuesday. All this time I was trying to think of what song they should put out as the next single. Who knew it was hiding in the bonus tracks!
Back to top Go down
snakester
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 2:49 am

To any of you guys who actually have a physical copy of the Deluxe Edition,

Does it have the lyrics for Blue Dahlia in it? Any chance I could get a scan or a typed up version of them? There are a few in there that are questionable for me and I wanna know what the real ones are.
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 2:55 am

This is what I'm hearing, but you never really know...

What a hot and sultry summer, the steam just slides up off them streets. You got to stay inside and wait for the night, and then come on over and see me.There’s a poetry about these streets, it just slips from your skin and goes right underneath and mama always knew I’d meet a girl like you, but me, I never believed.

Cuz I’ve been so lonely I can’t imagine that kind of sympathy

Where’d you get them scars? How blue is your heart? Is it sad enough to break? She said “It’s sad enough to break” How long was your life? Was it cold and strange like mine? Are you man enough to lay here? She said, “I’m man enough my baby, come see about me”

I had a dream about you once, and I could barely see your form And I met you between the wax and the needle in the words of my favorite song. Your black hair was like a raven with your tan skin on the beach. Your backdrop were the auroras and my sidekick was all this grief, I’ve been so low down, I’m almost level with the ground

Where’d you get them scars? How blue is your heart? Is it sad enough to break? She said “it’s sad enough to break” How long was your life? Was it cold and strange like mine? Are you man enough to lay here? She said, “I’m man enough my baby, come see about me”

Did they take you to the carnival to get locked up on a ride? Me, I got caught up with the fortune tellers and the ladies with the sleepy eyes. It took years my baby just to come clean, every streetlight a reminder. And all those apologies. And the night was lonely next to me. Even the night was lonely next to me.

Where’d you get them scars? How blue is your heart? Is it sad enough to break? She said “it’s sad enough to break” How long was your life? Was it cold and strange like mine? Are you man enough to lay here? She said, “I’m man enough my baby, come see about me”, whenever you’re lonely.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 3:04 am

Blue Dahlia, Mae, and Mulholland Drive are currently fighting in my head for the spot of my second favorite song on this album. (nothing's beating Handwritten).
Back to top Go down
snakester
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 3:16 am

rkirkpatrick25 wrote:
This is what I'm hearing, but you never really know...

What a hot and sultry summer, the steam just slides up off them streets. You got to stay inside and wait for the night, and then come on over and see me.There’s a poetry about these streets, it just slips from your skin and goes right underneath and mama always knew I’d meet a girl like you, but me, I never believed.

Cuz I’ve been so lonely I can’t imagine that kind of sympathy

Where’d you get them scars? How blue is your heart? Is it sad enough to break? She said “It’s sad enough to break” How long was your life? Was it cold and strange like mine? Are you man enough to lay here? She said, “I’m man enough my baby, come see about me”

I had a dream about you once, and I could barely see your form And I met you between the wax and the needle in the words of my favorite song. Your black hair was like a raven with your tan skin on the beach. Your backdrop were the auroras and my sidekick was all this grief, I’ve been so low down, I’m almost level with the ground

Where’d you get them scars? How blue is your heart? Is it sad enough to break? She said “it’s sad enough to break” How long was your life? Was it cold and strange like mine? Are you man enough to lay here? She said, “I’m man enough my baby, come see about me”

Did they take you to the carnival to get locked up on a ride? Me, I got caught up with the fortune tellers and the ladies with the sleepy eyes. It took years my baby just to come clean, every streetlight a reminder. And all those apologies. And the night was lonely next to me. Even the night was lonely next to me.

Where’d you get them scars? How blue is your heart? Is it sad enough to break? She said “it’s sad enough to break” How long was your life? Was it cold and strange like mine? Are you man enough to lay here? She said, “I’m man enough my baby, come see about me”, whenever you’re lonely.

Yeah the parts I was curious about I hear kinda different from what you wrote, which is yet even more different from what I've seen other people say which is why I'm really hoping something official is out there.

For me the parts that throw me off:

"Mama always said I'd --- a girl like you". I heard meet at first on the low quality amazon sample but with the cd version on a decent set of headphones I hear need now.

"Are you man enough my baby"... I really do think this is right but part of me is like its kind of weird to be asking her if she's man enough lol. It would just make me feel better seeing it on something official.

"Your backdrop..." line I hear something about horrors. This is a case of Fallon just squeezing way too many syllables into one place.

"I've been so - down..." Half the time I hear low half the time I hear let.

Thanks for that though!
Back to top Go down
Chesser19
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Chesser19

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 3:24 am

snakester wrote:

Does it have the lyrics for Blue Dahlia in it? Any chance I could get a scan or a typed up version of them? There are a few in there that are questionable for me and I wanna know what the real ones are.

Are you able to make out what Brian says at this part: "what a hot and ????? summer"? That's like the only part I can't really make out.
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/The_Chesser19
snakester
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 17 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 3:26 am

Chesser19 wrote:
snakester wrote:

Are you able to make out what Brian says at this part: "what a hot and ????? summer"? That's like the only part I can't really make out.

Sounds like sultry to me. Also to the person earlier who typed up the song so I'm fairly certain.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love   HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love - Page 17 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HANDWRITTEN: your impressions, comments, and declarations of love
Page 17 of 35Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 26 ... 35  Next