DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten

Go down 
+15
StitchesOnTheRadio
Labhras
Camus
NeverTrustAJunkie
Steve70s
ral
Jerseyrain
smetz224
simo
bringiton
bakerfall
rumham
acousticbandit
RandyMachoManCabbage
LuceroDiehard
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten   Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 9:47 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
I'll calm you down alright.

you're sexy when you're mad.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten   Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 10:14 pm

You're derailing the thread. Is Steady Now sexy when he's mad? Let's not find out.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten   Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 11:51 pm

rubberducky wrote:

I'm speculating but I assume they don't want to give into the demand. They're a special commodity when there is a large demand for them, but as soon as everyone can get a ticket they're not as big a deal. I guess Mercury/TGA probably think there is more to gain in the long run by keeping themselves as a commodity. You can't saturate the market with your product otherwise it becomes devalued. That's the honest answer and which I think is probably the case. However you can be pretty sinister about the situation and say the ticket problem was intentional so they could create the 45 club to pocket some more money. People paying $25.00 to receive $1.00 worth of material cost in gifts and having them purchase reserved seats as a fall back option when they're still going to try to buy floor seats and retail merchandise is an easy business decision. I don't think Brian is a bad guy by any stretch, however I do think it's a bit disingenuous of him to act like he's doing us a favor when really it was a business decision that his management and mercury came up with. I see it on this board tons, the idol worship of him because he's a "good" guy is a bit ridiculous, Alex gave you the honest answer for why tons of fans are getting shut out or paying 3x face value for tickets whereas Brian gives you the PR answer.

I agree with you about "not saturating the market". And the 45 club is yes another way to make money but that doesn't mean it's meant to screw anybody. It's optional and they modeled it after a fanclub that Brian's a member of. Also, every single manufactured product you buy was made for way cheaper than it costs. That's nothing new.

As for Brian, I know some of us worship the guy but that doesn't mean we don't pay attention and question too. We don't know what went on in the discussions about this stuff. For all we know, the label insisted they do these small venues for marketing reasons and in turn Brian (or any of the guys) insisted on the fan club then to compensate. It also doesn't mean that they didn't agree to do the small venues and Brian looked at it as "well we'll get to have intimate shows one more time, that's cool". But did you forget how much he keeps assuring us that they'll come back and do bigger venues? Someone who didn't care wouldn't be so concerned with how upset people were/are. I'm just saying let's not assume he's just "giving the PR answer" we don't know. And so what if he is? What could his motivation be for that? Maybe 1) not wanting to create an uproar in the fan community 2) pressure from the label 3) money to pay the bills (they're not rich yet). 4) not wanting to get called a sellout just because they gotta deal with some major label stuff now.

All I'm saying is these guys have been good to us for 6 years, lets give them ALL the benefit of the doubt.
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten   Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 5:47 am

I really hadn't realised they had not been on the road in the US for so long.

But the European festival circuit is relentless and probably pretty lucrative too - plus you get the best chance of nice weather although the summer in the UK has so far been a wash-out.

Personally these festivals are not my cup of tea but TGA should definitely go where the money is.
Back to top Go down
RandyMachoManCabbage
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
RandyMachoManCabbage

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten   Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 10:30 am

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:

All I'm saying is these guys have been good to us for 6 years, lets give them ALL the benefit of the doubt.

Good point. I've been a member of the 10 Club for 17 years and I do not regret joining for one second. In fact, joining (and to a greater extent renewing every year) is one of my proudest moments from my youth. I have a killer 7" collection that they've sent me thru the years, I've met great people thru it and I'm fortunate enough to have a good member number so that I am usually within the first 15 or so rows on the floor. TGA are not playing arenas yet like Pearl Jam but they want to and I believe they have the talent and ambition to do so. When they do reach that level of success our access to tickets and priority seating will be worth far more than 25.00. I understand the skepticism but let's try and keep an open mind. This fan club is for US and setting it up before their first major label release is a class act and a great gesture to the fans that have been with them for a long time!

Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten   Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 11:35 am

In regards to the fan club, I think it's very cynical to think there are huge ulterior motives for that. They wanted a fan club, they wanted to give people access tickets outside the normal channels and give them some side benefits. The cost is very reasonable and they will not be generating a ton of revenue from this. This was for US and thinking its to line their pockets is a bit silly. IF Gaslight ever gets big enough to be playing large seated venues or even arenas, you're going to be very glad if you're a member of the 45 club. Using the ten club as a model, you'll consistently get much better seats than you would through TM.

For the US tour playing smaller venues. Some of it was probably because they want to play some smaller venues, Brian has frequently said how good it feels to play small places after a whole bunch of festivals. Part of it was for marketing reasons and part of it was because Gaslight just isn't that big. In many cases, these venues are appropriately sized if they want to have a sold out show. Notice they also only have one opener instead of 2 or 3 as they have on the past several tours. This increases their cut as well.

As for album marketing/bundles, this is mostly Mercury. Bottom line, album sales are down across the board. Using these bundles are ways to incentivize people buying physical copies instead of downloading. If people think they're being taken advantage of because they bought 5 copies of the album to get two different posters and 3 t-shirts, DON'T. I bought a vinyl and the autographed deluxe because I wanted to, but I don't feel like a sucker for it. Lots of bands have these different bundles now, it's not a Gaslight thing, it's how the business works. Being cynical about this is silly and certainly shouldn't be directed at the band.
Back to top Go down
rumham
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten   Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 1:20 pm

rubberducky wrote:

I'm speculating but I assume they don't want to give into the demand. They're a special commodity when there is a large demand for them, but as soon as everyone can get a ticket they're not as big a deal. I guess Mercury/TGA probably think there is more to gain in the long run by keeping themselves as a commodity. You can't saturate the market with your product otherwise it becomes devalued. That's the honest answer and which I think is probably the case. However you can be pretty sinister about the situation and say the ticket problem was intentional so they could create the 45 club to pocket some more money. People paying $25.00 to receive $1.00 worth of material cost in gifts and having them purchase reserved seats as a fall back option when they're still going to try to buy floor seats and retail merchandise is an easy business decision. I don't think Brian is a bad guy by any stretch, however I do think it's a bit disingenuous of him to act like he's doing us a favor when really it was a business decision that his management and mercury came up with. I see it on this board tons, the idol worship of him because he's a "good" guy is a bit ridiculous, Alex gave you the honest answer for why tons of fans are getting shut out or paying 3x face value for tickets whereas Brian gives you the PR answer.

I agree with you about "not saturating the market". And the 45 club is yes another way to make money but that doesn't mean it's meant to screw anybody. It's optional and they modeled it after a fanclub that Brian's a member of. Also, every single manufactured product you buy was made for way cheaper than it costs. That's nothing new.

As for Brian, I know some of us worship the guy but that doesn't mean we don't pay attention and question too. We don't know what went on in the discussions about this stuff. For all we know, the label insisted they do these small venues for marketing reasons and in turn Brian (or any of the guys) insisted on the fan club then to compensate. It also doesn't mean that they didn't agree to do the small venues and Brian looked at it as "well we'll get to have intimate shows one more time, that's cool". But did you forget how much he keeps assuring us that they'll come back and do bigger venues? Someone who didn't care wouldn't be so concerned with how upset people were/are. I'm just saying let's not assume he's just "giving the PR answer" we don't know. And so what if he is? What could his motivation be for that? Maybe 1) not wanting to create an uproar in the fan community 2) pressure from the label 3) money to pay the bills (they're not rich yet). 4) not wanting to get called a sellout just because they gotta deal with some major label stuff now.

The amount of money i've thrown in their direction since they joined Mercury in October is evidence i'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. For a guy who traces his musical roots to people like Springsteen, Vedder, Strummer, etc. icons who made sure things were done their way and in some cases almost committed career suicide with some of their decisions that he also would have the foresight to make sure the Gaslight brand maintains their musical integrity. However that doesn't change some of these early business decisions have been pretty questionable (at least in my opinion) since they've come at the expense of the fans. Obviously there's an upper threshold for what Gaslight can draw in certain areas and hopefully the second trip around they try to satisfy this demand rather than withold from a significant portion of the fans in an area by playing marginally larger venues and "forcing" more people to join the 45 club if they want to see them play. You shouldn't have to join a membership club to have a legitimate chance to see a band and the 45 club shouldn't become the primary avenue to see TGA. As for why Brian has to be all PR about it is because it's a pretty chintzy model to build up your fan base. Of course i'm speculating some and I guess it really just depends on how successful Handwritten is as to whether Gaslight can make the jump to larger veneus so we'll have to wait and see but in any case I would glad to be wrong.

Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten   Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 2:23 pm

Please stop acting like you're a victim.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten   Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 2:33 pm

rubberducky wrote:
rubberducky wrote:

The amount of money i've thrown in their direction since they joined Mercury in October is evidence i'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. For a guy who traces his musical roots to people like Springsteen, Vedder, Strummer, etc. icons who made sure things were done their way and in some cases almost committed career suicide with some of their decisions that he also would have the foresight to make sure the Gaslight brand maintains their musical integrity. However that doesn't change some of these early business decisions have been pretty questionable (at least in my opinion) since they've come at the expense of the fans. Obviously there's an upper threshold for what Gaslight can draw in certain areas and hopefully the second trip around they try to satisfy this demand rather than withold from a significant portion of the fans in an area by playing marginally larger venues and "forcing" more people to join the 45 club if they want to see them play. You shouldn't have to join a membership club to have a legitimate chance to see a band and the 45 club shouldn't become the primary avenue to see TGA. As for why Brian has to be all PR about it is because it's a pretty chintzy model to build up your fan base. Of course i'm speculating some and I guess it really just depends on how successful Handwritten is as to whether Gaslight can make the jump to larger veneus so we'll have to wait and see but in any case I would glad to be wrong.

I don't think you are understanding how ticketing through the fan club will work. The fan club will have a small % of tickets, probably < 10%, to make available to their fans. No one is "forcing" you to join the fan club to buy tickets, the fan club is not becoming the exclusive avenue for ticket sales. The fan club is not building their fan base, it is for existing fans. No one is going to join a fan club of a band they are not already a fan of and that speculation on your part makes zero sense.

You mention Vedder as an example of Brian's influences and then denounce the 45 club which is based almost 100% off of the ten club, right down to the word for word ticket policy. Honestly, do you even know what you're angry about?
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten   Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 2:39 pm

Probably pissed off that Brian got drunk the other night as well.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
rumham
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten   Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 2:41 pm

bakerfall wrote:
rubberducky wrote:
rubberducky wrote:

I don't think you are understanding how ticketing through the fan club will work. The fan club will have a small % of tickets, probably < 10%, to make available to their fans. No one is "forcing" you to join the fan club to buy tickets, the fan club is not becoming the exclusive avenue for ticket sales. The fan club is not building their fan base, it is for existing fans. No one is going to join a fan club of a band they are not already a fan of and that speculation on your part makes zero sense.

You mention Vedder as an example of Brian's influences and then denounce the 45 club which is based almost 100% off of the ten club, right down to the word for word ticket policy. Honestly, do you even know what you're angry about?

Oh shit nevermind you're completely right... i thought you had to join and were guaranteed presale tickets but you had to buy 2 and wouldn't know where the seats were located.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten   Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 2:45 pm

If you don't like what the fan club has to offer, don't join. It's as simple as that. Why come on here and complain endlessly about it, making people mad, when you can just choose not to sign up. No one is forcing you to do it. Just like how no one is forcing you to buy the albums or the bundles. We're lucky that we have options at all!

What is boils down to is that we're getting a new album soon that is almost certainly going to be incredible, and we should be happy about that. All of the other stuff, the marketing, the merch, being on Mercury, that's the business end of it, and if people can't understand that this is a business, they should just shut up about it and focus on the music.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten   Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 2:54 pm

What it boils down to is $25 is barely enough to cover a movie, soda and popcorn for one person. I bet non-fan club members will pay over that just to get their hands on that holiday vinyl.

Why do you keep thinking you HAVE to join? You're upset with the terms they've laid out then DON'T join.
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten   Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 2:56 pm

Seriously, what's the big deal, i didn't join the club and didn't buy any deluxe edition and my life goes on as per usual. You sound like you have just discovered the music industry.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten   Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 2:57 pm

rubberducky wrote:
bakerfall wrote:
rubberducky wrote:
rubberducky wrote:

Oh shit nevermind you're completely right... i thought you had to join and were guaranteed presale tickets but you had to buy 2 and wouldn't know where the seats were located.

a.) you don't have to join to buy tickets, b.) unless you live in NYC, getting tickets isn't exactly hard, c.) 99% of venues Gaslight has EVER played have been GA, so seat location at this point is irrelevant.
Back to top Go down
DiamondSinatra
A Contender
A Contender
DiamondSinatra

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten   Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 2:59 pm

Whoa, this thread has blown up since I've visited it last.

Kid who's pissed about the fan club: if you don't like it don't buy it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.robdirienzo.com
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten   Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 3:08 pm

chaingangchorus wrote:
if you don't like it don't buy it.

This right here, is the main point of this whole debate. I didn't like the way 10c was ran, I left. I still get into gigs, I still get up to the front. I lose out on xmas vinyl and exclusive merch. I'll live, it's my choice.

Last edited by Klown on Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten   Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 3:15 pm

I'm most likely not joining 45 RPM because of the ticket terms. I'm not morally against it all, the terms just don't work for me. Plus I don't have a turntable, and I'm ok with the merch access I currently have. But I'm not like "OMG THEY'RE TRYING TO RAPE US FINANCIALLY!" Jeez.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten   Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gaslight Anthem guitarist Alex Rosamilia on the Cure, European tours, and Handwritten
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2