DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Collecting Question

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Collecting Question Empty
PostSubject: Collecting Question   Collecting Question Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 12:51 pm

Hey guys, cool site you have here. I've been listening to the Gaslight Anthem for a couple years now and they have moved up to one of my favorite bands. They don't have a song I don't like and I plan on seeing them when they come through Denver in September. Anyway, I have decided I will try to get into collecting TGA vinyls and I have a couple questions.
Is an unopened vinyl more collectible or demanded than unopened? In other words, would it be in my interest to pay more for an unopened vinyl? If so, how could I tell which pressing I am looking at without opening the package? I recently got an unopened Senor & the Queen and want to know which one I have. It was the cheapest price I could find for that album so odds are it's one of the more common pressings but I would like to confirm this.
Thanks
John
Back to top Go down
brucesboots
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Collecting Question   Collecting Question Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 1:09 pm

Unless the cover has a vinyl colour sticker on it how else can you tell the colour.
Before you start wanting to collect every varient you might want to consider how much money you want to spend, beleive me its not a cheap game , and to be honest there is a couple of rare issues that dont even turn up at all now. There are still people on this site still trying to find the missing records to complete collections.
For a complete collection if poss you are talking $$$$$$, maybe another option is just to pick a varient you most like or you can most afford. People on here sometimes offer up spares or if they have given up the hunt and decided to split collections. Another place is ebay or discogs etc.
good luck what ever you decide to do.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Collecting Question   Collecting Question Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 3:58 pm

I've checked out the approx. price list posted in this forum and noticed that some a rare. The challenge of it is part of the reason I would like to try.
I take there are no variations to be seen on the jackets then but some have a color sticker. I have to open them up to see what exactly I have if there is no sticker.
Thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
brucesboots
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: Collecting Question   Collecting Question Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 4:03 pm

good luck. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
A_Regular

PostSubject: Re: Collecting Question   Collecting Question Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 4:18 pm

HOW DO YOU LISTEN TO UNOPENED VINYL GUY
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Collecting Question   Collecting Question Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 4:42 pm

Bluuu wrote:
HOW DO YOU LISTEN TO UNOPENED VINYL GUY

Well you can't. You could ask why I would want different colors of the same albums too? I'm sure they don't sound much different from each other when you play them. I am doing this purely for the collecting element. The music I listen to through an ipod or computer. I do not plan to listen to the vinyls. Or at least I have no way to play them.
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
A_Regular

PostSubject: Re: Collecting Question   Collecting Question Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 4:49 pm

Invest in a record player, stop being lame
Back to top Go down
kcdc
A Contender
A Contender
kcdc

PostSubject: Re: Collecting Question   Collecting Question Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 4:39 am

kjeolhlny wrote:
I've checked out the approx. price list posted in this forum and noticed that some a rare. The challenge of it is part of the reason I would like to try.
I take there are no variations to be seen on the jackets then but some have a color sticker. I have to open them up to see what exactly I have if there is no sticker.
Thanks for the help.

Most of the covers are the same; so there is no way to know what you're getting until you open it. The exception is the '59 Sound had stickers that differentiated the colors (also some of the S&TQ had different jackets but it was only the 10" versions).

And opening them doesn't really appear to do anything to the value (at least on ebay) people will pay whatever they will on ebay, sometimes it is a lot and sometimes it is not. People may pay more for an unopened copy of a rare record but only if they are certain that they are getting a rare record and often times that means opening it. With TGA records the only confirmation is opening it.
Often times you will find that distros send out records that are not sealed in plastic.

You're not at all likely to get a rare color for a bargain price (though it could happen), chances are you're gonna get a standard copy. If you want to get your hands on a rarer edition you're best bet is ebay or finding a collector who will part ways with their collection.

Back to top Go down
http://www.deadformat.net/tradelist/kcdc
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Collecting Question   Collecting Question Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 5:28 am

If you don't want to end up broke, just collect one of each, never mind the colour. That way you get all the different large format artwork to enjoy.

And don't forget the promo CDs, which I and some others find very collectable as well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

PostSubject: Re: Collecting Question   Collecting Question Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 6:42 am

Bluuu wrote:
Invest in a record player, stop being lame

Hey man, don't be so rude.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Collecting Question   Collecting Question Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 9:22 am

That answers all of my questions. Thanks everybody, I appreciate your help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Collecting Question   Collecting Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Collecting Question
Page 1 of 1