DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!

Go down 
+52
SubconsciousRitual
The Cool
Camus
heartlikeatomb
brucesboots
Shrewsbury_Stars
SirBrad
pleasepassthesoup
bringiton
steady now steady now
Ghost
Xanthias
NYYFAN523
mingus
kayla_tga
CapedAvenger
Little Eden
Hanswurst
covsc1922
OldManShoes3
saltandburn1967
RobertODonnell
rem999
EveryWordHandwritten
gaslightfan89
simo
Bea
enola
PPQ
ral
holdsteady82
Chesser19
VanillaMintFusion
BuddyHolly
njguy99
Klown
TheContender
'49mercury
SirPaco
bakerfall
jdc
Jack
Kosburn59
JJW319
Harbortown
StitchesOnTheRadio
azlisa
The Angry Johnny Revue
songs like a comfort
Christophe
IrishNameAndAnInjury
CluckyB
56 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
AuthorMessage
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

'45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 5:24 pm

The drop was also bigger than that of AS. I feel like they're floating just under the surface and for whatever reason they just can't break through. I mean, I know rock isn't the most popular genre right now but King of Leon did it. What did they do that TGA isn't doing? Their 2 singles were "slightly" more radio friendly, yes but I don't think that was what made all the difference. I feel like someone's not doing their job right but I don't know who.

Also, why haven't they properly released another single at this point? (in the US I mean). I don't know how this stuff is supposed to go but I feel "new single from #3 album on the Billboard charts..." sounds better than "New single from that album that was #3 weeks ago and is now #150..."
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 5:25 pm

their sex isn't on fire Sad
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 5:32 pm

steph wrote:

their sex isn't on fire Sad

lol! I knew that was the problem.
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 5:35 pm

I can't stand this man...but I love this sketch, and seeing Sex Is On Fire mentioned...

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 5:36 pm

Klown wrote:
Good, that happened me once....itched for days.

that's what happens when you bang everything that walks past you!
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 5:37 pm

steph wrote:
Klown wrote:
Good, that happened me once....itched for days.

that's what happens when you bang everything that walks past you!

Haha, I changed my post, but I KNEW someone would quote it haha
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 10:49 pm

11 on the alternative songs this week. That's up like 3. Might crack top ten next week!

Meanwhile the album slides to 57 which is rather sad but still not completely terrible for a third week performance.
Back to top Go down
Xanthias
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Xanthias

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 12:13 pm

http://www.billboard.com/charts/alternative-songs#/charts/alternative-songs?begin=11&order=position

12 on Alternative Songs. Not bad, still not overwhelming. What do you think they should do to enlarge their fan base? They got on NHL 13 Soundtrack, which isn't bad, and also 45 was airplayed at the Etihad Stadium... hope it will do them good!
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 1:14 pm

But the album has fallen to #98 on the top 200, #32 on Rock Albums and #22 on Alternative Albums...
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 6:40 am

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
The drop was also bigger than that of AS. I feel like they're floating just under the surface and for whatever reason they just can't break through. I mean, I know rock isn't the most popular genre right now but King of Leon did it. What did they do that TGA isn't doing? Their 2 singles were "slightly" more radio friendly, yes but I don't think that was what made all the difference. I feel like someone's not doing their job right but I don't know who.

Also, why haven't they properly released another single at this point? (in the US I mean). I don't know how this stuff is supposed to go but I feel "new single from #3 album on the Billboard charts..." sounds better than "New single from that album that was #3 weeks ago and is now #150..."

Given that a high chart performance was expected, I still wonder why they did0n't announce a big tour in time with the album's release, when people might have bought the album and the ticket, rather than sell out a good-bye-to-small-venues-tour prior to release. Come next year, will enough people be bothered to still buy tickets for an arena tour?

As for the drop, the high showing was clearly based on pre-orders and an existing fan base, albeit one that has grown since AS was released. The album itself though didn't have that much impact as such, and the reviews were worse than for AS (not many record of the month listings). To be honest, HW just isn't upbeat and summery enough, and I'm not surprised it didn't catch on more widely (sad to say, it's my least favourite TGA album - AS was so much better). And Brian coming across all weird in interviews doesn't help (too big for his own boots).
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
brucesboots
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 12:13 pm

steady now steady now wrote:

Given that a high chart performance was expected, I still wonder why they did0n't announce a big tour in time with the album's release, when people might have bought the album and the ticket, rather than sell out a good-bye-to-small-venues-tour prior to release. Come next year, will enough people be bothered to still buy tickets for an arena tour?

As for the drop, the high showing was clearly based on pre-orders and an existing fan base, albeit one that has grown since AS was released. The album itself though didn't have that much impact as such, and the reviews were worse than for AS (not many record of the month listings). To be honest, HW just isn't upbeat and summery enough, and I'm not surprised it didn't catch on more widely (sad to say, it's my least favourite TGA album - AS was so much better). And Brian coming across all weird in interviews doesn't help (too big for his own boots).

is your love affair with TGA starting to strain ?
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 12:36 pm

Theyve had some great exposure but unfortunatly its not sticking Sad HW is my least favourite album so far but hoped the guys would do well from it
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 12:39 pm

If it makes you guys feel better, I got at least 3 or 4 new people to like the band due to the new album...
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 12:40 pm

Thats cool. they should be die hard fans when they hear the best stuff then lol Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 12:50 pm

brucesboots wrote:

is your love affair with TGA starting to strain ?

there has always been an element of strain; no doubt Brian is my favourite songwriter in a generation, but how that talent and his work is expressed, packaged & marketed (by the label or by himself) is another matter and will inevitably vary; moreover, I have always been a critical friend, not a sycophant, especially as I am in this for the long haul
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 12:58 pm

there has always been an element of strain; no doubt Brian is my favourite songwriter in a generation, but how that talent and his work is expressed, packaged & marketed (by the label or by himself) is another matter and will inevitably vary; moreover, I have always been a critical friend, not a sycophant, especially as I am in this for the long haul

For the love of god, would you stop stirring shit??!!!??!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 6:46 pm

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:

For the love of god, would you stop stirring shit??!!!??!! Very Happy

I'm really getting the hang of it now Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 7:44 pm

I've heard from a couple people that the "good bye to small venues" US tour was actually a "woops, our album was supposed to be out at the start of this but now it's been pushed back" tour. They're also a long ways from small arenas in the US with the exception of a very few markets (maybe even just NYC/NJ).

Quote :

As for the drop, the high showing was clearly based on pre-orders and an existing fan base, albeit one that has grown since AS was released.
This is pretty much what I thought too. The overall numbers are up which can be due to both organic growth and Mercury's presence but it's not like the major label pushed them into the main stream. It's pretty amazing to me that there's been just one single (released 3+ months ago).

Here's an update on Handwritten

Week#SalesOverall
1 3 41159 41159
2 38 9673 50832
3 57 6147 56979
4 98 4790 61769
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 8:10 pm

I agree with the tour thing. You'd think the way to go would be to be like "Here we are, you can't ignore us anymore!" not "uh, here ya go, we're gonna go run off and do some festivals in Europe now. Catch ya later".

It's interesting what you said about it not being upbeat and summery enough. I never thought of that but I think you're dead right. I mean I picture late summer/early fall for Mulholland and Mae but overall because it's so deep and heavy it seems like it'd be better for an early fall release. I think this album is tied for my favorite with AS but it feels more right to be blasting AS or one of their other albums in the car with the windows down in the summer heat.

Personally, in my humble not-an-expert-in-the-music-industry opinion, I think this is a great album surrounded by extremely mishandled marketing/promotion of the band and the album, bad timing of release dates and tour dates, and while I love all the songs and they have catchy elements, 45 is the only one that sounds like a single to me. Unless you count Blue Dahlia, which in the world of album singles, you can't because it's a bonus track.
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 9:19 am

Last week, Handwritten fell to 139 on the Billboard chart, 44 in rock albums and 19 in tastemaker albums.

Perfect time to release another single.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 3:01 pm

njguy99 wrote:
Last week, Handwritten fell to 139 on the Billboard chart, 44 in rock albums and 19 in tastemaker albums.

Perfect time to release another single.

Yeah, idk, might be a good idea to do so before it's off the charts completely. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 9:00 pm

Anyone have the updated sales figures year to date?
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 9:53 pm

njguy99 wrote:

I haven't seen any yearly sales lists yet but I don't think Handwritten has been on the Billboard 200 since October. Back then the total was something around 70-75k sold. It's a lot harder to find overall numbers since then when the album isn't actually charting.
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 6:03 am

ral wrote:
njguy99 wrote:

I haven't seen any yearly sales lists yet but I don't think Handwritten has been on the Billboard 200 since October. Back then the total was something around 70-75k sold. It's a lot harder to find overall numbers since then when the album isn't actually charting.

That's what I figured. We need to find someone with access to Soundscan.

My educated guess is something in the 100k range, but that could be way off.
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2014 5:07 pm

Bumping a really old thread but I came across a number from SoundScan for the overall sales of Handwritten that I hadn't seen before - 122k sold as of a month ago.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!
Page 9 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9