DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!

Go down 
+52
SubconsciousRitual
The Cool
Camus
heartlikeatomb
brucesboots
Shrewsbury_Stars
SirBrad
pleasepassthesoup
bringiton
steady now steady now
Ghost
Xanthias
NYYFAN523
mingus
kayla_tga
CapedAvenger
Little Eden
Hanswurst
covsc1922
OldManShoes3
saltandburn1967
RobertODonnell
rem999
EveryWordHandwritten
gaslightfan89
simo
Bea
enola
PPQ
ral
holdsteady82
Chesser19
VanillaMintFusion
BuddyHolly
njguy99
Klown
TheContender
'49mercury
SirPaco
bakerfall
jdc
Jack
Kosburn59
JJW319
Harbortown
StitchesOnTheRadio
azlisa
The Angry Johnny Revue
songs like a comfort
Christophe
IrishNameAndAnInjury
CluckyB
56 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

'45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! Empty
PostSubject: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 4:20 pm

45 'debuted' at 36 on the Billboard Alternative Rock charts this week: http://www.billboard.com/news#/column/chartbeat/chart-highlights-katy-perry-s-wide-awake-1007172752.story High Five

One spot lower than T59S hit, but technically Gaslight isn't a "one hit wonder" anymore Razz Plus I get a feeling its only going to get higher as time goes on. bounce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 4:45 pm

36 is my lucky number, awright!

I have a feeling we're going to see at least one more hit from 45. Brian has really talked up the other songs, I can't imagine them not being amazing.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:01 pm

Awesome! Hopefully it will just get better from here for the guys. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:02 pm

Clap Clap Clap
Back to top Go down
songs like a comfort
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
songs like a comfort

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:10 pm

This song is definetly a #1 one king
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:15 pm

I really don't like the song, but I'm thrilled for the band.
Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
azlisa

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 10:08 pm

The Angry Johnny Revue wrote:

this boggles me! i think it's amazing.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 10:10 pm

azlisa wrote:

I don't understand that either! I think 45 is an incredible song and classic Gaslight. What don't like you about it, Angry Johnny?
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 10:31 pm

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
azlisa wrote:

I don't understand that either! I think 45 is an incredible song and classic Gaslight. What don't like you about it, Angry Johnny?

Was in the middle of making a lengthy post about why in the recently created least favourite song thread but my computer randomly shut down so I'll do it here instead. Basically to me it sounds like a watered down pop-punk version of Pearl Jam. One thing that I love about Gaslight so much is the deep lyrics, but in 45 the lyrics are trying to be deep but just come across as cheesy. The song lacks the special originality that every single previous Gaslight song has had, I really don't get that feeling that there's nobody else out there creating this sound. With this song I feel that anyone of those kinds of haircut bands that play on the warped tour could've written and performed this. Also I guess I was hoping/expecting a rawer saound in Brian's vocals given how the iTunes session turned out. It was bound to happen eventually, and it's not an uncommon thing but it's a shame my favourite band has managed to right a song that I actually hate. 45 has absolutely nothing on every other song this badn has ever done. I go on about how fantastic Gaslight our to anyone who will give me the time of day and quite frankly I would just be embarrassed to show anyone this song after making such a fuss about the band.

Not everyone's opinion but it's good to get that off my chest.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 10:57 pm

I agree with Angry Johnny here. Don't get me wrong, I like 45, and I've listened to it a lot, but it's just kind of a generic song to me. With that being said, I also didn't enjoy American Slang when it was first released and had almost the exact same opinion on it that I have on 45, but after the whole album came out it really, really grew on me and now it's one of my favorite Gaslight songs.
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 11:13 pm

stepsandnumbers wrote:
I agree with Angry Johnny here. Don't get me wrong, I like 45, and I've listened to it a lot, but it's just kind of a generic song to me. With that being said, I also didn't enjoy American Slang when it was first released and had almost the exact same opinion on it that I have on 45, but after the whole album came out it really, really grew on me and now it's one of my favorite Gaslight songs.

Actually if I recall correctly I was pretty iffy on American Slang when it came out, but not in the same way as I am with 45. It still hasn't lowered my expectations for the album though Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 11:27 pm

Let me preface this by saying I love love love 45. That said:

Angry Johnny I think you made some really good points. It absolutely doesn't sound as raw and I'll admit it took me a couple of listens to warm up to it because I mean I knew I liked it I just didn't know if I saw it as Gaslight. What struck me first was the lack of lyrics. There are fewer words in this song than in I think in any other TGA song. One thing I knew when I heard it though is "this sounds like a hit".

I did listen to it more though and I'm still torn on it in a way. I definitely think a lot of their other songs paint more of a picture than this one. I was also hoping for more of another American Slang because to me that song perfectly combines the poetic nature of Gaslight lyrics and a sound that is big enough to break into the mainstream.

But I love "turn the record over". No these are not the most poetic or intricate lyrics but I don't think that's a bad thing in this case. This song is clear and too the point and but it has a worthwhile point, and it doesn't use the same words everyone else uses.

Saying turn the "record" over is what makes it gaslight. Other modern artists would be like "hit skip on da mp3" or some shit. Or use over used things like "forget her" or "move on" sort of stuff. Brian combined his style with the style that sells and I think he did it in a way that honors what they've done in the past. That said, I hope some of the other songs are more like the old style and judging by Biloxi, they are.

Also I love the harmonies, and there's something about the way he sings "turn the record over" that excites me. It has a power to it. Also live it's incredible. I kind of think this song combines the intensity of the Sink or Swim album with the fancier style of American Slang.

Sorry I'm rambling.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 11:31 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Saying turn the "record" over is what makes it gaslight. Other modern artists would be like "hit skip on da mp3" or some shit.

I laughed so hard at that.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 11:45 pm

Saying turn the "record" over is what makes it gaslight. Other modern artists would be like "hit skip on da mp3" or some shit.
'45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! 8ptXd
'45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! CKKGc
'45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! EWse7
'45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! TDWpj
'45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! Wx9yh
'45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! I71hF
'45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! 1jgTi
'45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! G3FtL
'45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! BiIJn
'45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! AA9np
'45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! KZ9uw
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 11:47 pm

what just happened hahaha. ^

only at the Dimestore...
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 11:51 pm

Harbortown's lost it.

I like how the last picture was Tom Cruise, haha.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 11:59 pm

'45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! Tom-cruise-blink
'45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! Picture+8
Quote :
hit skip on da mp3
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Kosburn59
Wooderson
Wooderson
Kosburn59

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 12:23 am

Neato. :] I'm definitely happy for the guys. I'm not going to lie, though, the more I listen to "45", the more and more I kinda want to kick Brendan O'Brien. The biased anal-retentive producer within me wishes that this song had way more depth than what's present - sound-wise that is. It's like the treble was turned all the way up and everything else was put aside until the end. Don't get me wrong, I do like the song, and it's definitely a hit, but......jeeeeeeez. >.<

Am I alone in this opinion? I'm feeling strangely conflicted about this for the first time, like, EVER. I listen back to the '59 Sound, and I just wish Ted was doing the production for this record....mehhhh....
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 12:48 am

45 is seriously one of my favorite Gaslight songs ever, so I have a difficult time finding fault in it, honestly.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 1:30 am

Kosburn59 wrote:
Neato. :] I'm definitely happy for the guys. I'm not going to lie, though, the more I listen to "45", the more and more I kinda want to kick Brendan O'Brien. The biased anal-retentive producer within me wishes that this song had way more depth than what's present - sound-wise that is. It's like the treble was turned all the way up and everything else was put aside until the end. Don't get me wrong, I do like the song, and it's definitely a hit, but......jeeeeeeez. >.<

Am I alone in this opinion? I'm feeling strangely conflicted about this for the first time, like, EVER. I listen back to the '59 Sound, and I just wish Ted was doing the production for this record....mehhhh....

Okay, I hate getting technical about this stuff because I don't know shit about producing a record, (and neither do most people who seem to think they do) but I'm listening to 45 for maybe the 50th time right now, right after watching the video someone took during the music video shoot and I agree with you. I don't know why (b/c again I don't know this stuff) but the only way I can describe it is it sounds like the song is in a straight jacket. Like areas where I want to hear parts a bit clearer, I find myself straining my ears. I assume that means it sounds compressed? I don't know I just always want it to be bigger, like it was the day of the shoot.
Back to top Go down
Kosburn59
Wooderson
Wooderson
Kosburn59

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 1:54 am

Kosburn59 wrote:

Okay, I hate getting technical about this stuff because I don't know shit about producing a record, (and neither do most people who seem to think they do) but I'm listening to 45 for maybe the 50th time right now, right after watching the video someone took during the music video shoot and I agree with you. I don't know why (b/c again I don't know this stuff) but the only way I can describe it is it sounds like the song is in a straight jacket. Like areas where I want to hear parts a bit clearer, I find myself straining my ears. I assume that means it sounds compressed? I don't know I just always want it to be bigger, like it was the day of the shoot.

That's exactly it. I remember Brian saying in one of the recent interviews that he felt that this sounded like a huge record, and I could be wrong when I listen to the entire thing. But even though it sounds "big" (wtf does that mean btw?), it lacks substance in my opinion - like a lot of parts were left out that also need significance as much as Brian's voice and the main guitar parts. It's screechy and sharp, instead of full and organic. It does sound compressed, and on top of that it's basically boosted in the higher frequencies over the low frequencies, without what I feel should be more weighed out evenly. Even I have a hard time expressing it, since I've only taken basic courses, but still....

It seems like the vinyl single sounds a little better, still with bits and pieces that kinda irk me, but I'm really questionable about how the CD's going to turn out for this one....
Back to top Go down
Kosburn59
Wooderson
Wooderson
Kosburn59

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 1:59 am

And yeah, I definitely don't mean to make digs at O'Brien for his production skills, since I'm just a twenty year old dude from Georgia who's barely produced anything, let alone a major bands record, but the older I get the more I begin looking at this stuff.....
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 8:26 am

John, all of those pictures cracked me up! I love the James Franco ones! Very Happy

Quote :
Saying turn the "record" over is what makes it gaslight. Other modern artist would be like "hit skip on da mp3" or some shit.

Shelby, that made me laugh so hard, and your totally right!
Back to top Go down
jdc
A Contender
A Contender
jdc

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 9:07 am

Kosburn59 wrote:
Kosburn59 wrote:

That's exactly it. I remember Brian saying in one of the recent interviews that he felt that this sounded like a huge record, and I could be wrong when I listen to the entire thing. But even though it sounds "big" (wtf does that mean btw?), it lacks substance in my opinion - like a lot of parts were left out that also need significance as much as Brian's voice and the main guitar parts. It's screechy and sharp, instead of full and organic. It does sound compressed, and on top of that it's basically boosted in the higher frequencies over the low frequencies, without what I feel should be more weighed out evenly. Even I have a hard time expressing it, since I've only taken basic courses, but still....

It seems like the vinyl single sounds a little better, still with bits and pieces that kinda irk me, but I'm really questionable about how the CD's going to turn out for this one....

My friend and I have had pretty extensive discussions about this - and the term "compressed" keeps coming up. It feels like nothing is too high or too low, which can have some merit in certain situations - but for a band that thrives on emotion and feeling like Gaslight does, it doesn't work to me. It's still a good song and it's probably a good effort for the first "mainstream, major label single", but I don't personally feel that I am going to be able to get attached to any of the songs like I have in the past if they all sound like that (no matter how good the songwriting might be).
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 10:05 am

Well don't get me wrong. I LOVE 45. I just think it's going to be one of those songs were when I play the recorded version I just can't channel the same feeling I get with it live. My issue with it has nothing to do with the song itself, I just feel like the production isn't quite what I would have hoped for. I went back and just listened to American Slang right after, and that song, to me, has more breathing room but still has the cleaned up and polished nature of a single. I wish it was a bit closer to that. It's still though up there with my favorites by them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!   '45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'45' and 'Handwritten' (the album) on the charts!
Page 1 of 9Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next