DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

amp settings?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
johnsz
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

amp settings? Empty
PostSubject: amp settings?   amp settings? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:14 am

hello guys, any advice how to set-up a basic, non tube amplifier (nux mighty 30x) to sound like GA? maybe it's impossible without pedal, but anyway - any advice? guitar is LP vintage. thank you.
Back to top Go down
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

amp settings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: amp settings?   amp settings? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:35 am

They turn they guitars down a whole step. That's all I know of the guitars!
Back to top Go down
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

amp settings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: amp settings?   amp settings? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:36 am

This might help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCxHN6_rPzk
Back to top Go down
johnsz
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

amp settings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: amp settings?   amp settings? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:40 am

thanks man, i know about the guitar tuning, but what about amp settings? (without pedals)
Back to top Go down
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

amp settings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: amp settings?   amp settings? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:50 am

I know that brian had his amps custom made by nashguitars I believe. And he likes amps under 20 Watt.
This might help too. http://www.voxamps.com/artists/brian-fallon-interview/
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

amp settings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: amp settings?   amp settings? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 3:34 pm

That depends. Do you want Alex's or Brian's guitar sound?

If the former, you'll want quite a bit of low and I would say around 50-70% mid and high depending on what you like. The reason why is because he's usually playing stuff in the high register, and if you do that without a solid bass tone it'll sound thin and annoying. So do that, and keep your pickup switch on rhythm rather than treble. If you want to make the sound even thicker, turn the tone switch down a little bit.

For Brian's sound you should ask yourself what record you want to emulate. The more aggressive sound of SoS, the mellow tone on American Slang or the sweet soulful clamor of '59 Sound?
SoS had quite a bit more distortion and punch to its guitar sound. Put low and high all the way up, and set your middle somewhere around 50%. If it sounds too thick and compressed you can increase the middle. Keep your pickup switch on treble.

For both American Slang and '59 Sound you should use as little distortion as possible. Turn it down enough to where it doesn't sound too raw, but keep enough to where you can still hear the distortion. High, low and middle are probably all somewhere around 50-60%, possibly with mid turned up a little bit more for a clearer sound.

Now all of this depends so much on the individual amplifier and of course on the guitar so it's always really difficult give an accurate answer, but this is what I'd do based on my own experience. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

amp settings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: amp settings?   amp settings? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 4:05 pm

Just plug in the patented TGA pedal available at all good music stores!
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

amp settings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: amp settings?   amp settings? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 4:07 pm

There's a HC one too!
Back to top Go down
johnsz
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

amp settings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: amp settings?   amp settings? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 5:10 pm

many thanks! and Steve, very funny ...
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

amp settings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: amp settings?   amp settings? Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 4:22 am

johnsz wrote:
many thanks! and Steve, very funny ...

Just joking! I just bought a 15w Vox Valvetronix which has loads of onboard tweaks for a good price.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

amp settings? Empty
PostSubject: Re: amp settings?   amp settings? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

amp settings?
Page 1 of 1