DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog in

"45" (lyrics)

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Cinderblock
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

"45" (lyrics) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 11:42 am

This Song is mind-blowing...if you have been in that situation before...
Back to top Go down
Ghost
A Contender
A Contender
Ghost

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 11:05 am

I've read on here before, that the end of each Gaslight album ties into the beginning of the next one, like a continuing story.

Example:

SOS: We're Getting A Divorce, "You Keep The Diner"
'59 Sound: Great Expectations -"They burned up the diner where I always used to find her"

'59 Sound : Here's Looking At You Kid - "Girls have those eyes that cut you to ribbons sometimes"
American Slang: American Slang - "Well they cut me to ribbons and taught me to drive"

Well, '45' instantly relates to Horrible Crowes. On Elsie, there is the concept of all the bad things that happened to Brian with these other girls that hurt him, before he found a girl in the same position and they fell in love. And the first line in Elsie is 'Start up the car, bury your memories" and the last thing you hear on the record, after 'I Believe Jesus..." is a car starting.

And then in '45', a song polar opposite with the mood of Elsie, you get the line "Turn the key and engine over, let somebody else lay at her feet". He's moved on, like he said he would- time for something new and positive.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 2:53 pm

^ Interesting theory. Two things, though...

The Backseat ends The '59 Sound (Not Here's Looking At You, Kid) so it doesn't work quite as well.

If you want to take it further, We Did It When We Were Young has two Brians (one singing in hushed low tones and the other screaming out to the heavens) telling a (somewhat) dark story about his past, which is basically a perfect description of Elsie.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Ghost
A Contender
A Contender
Ghost

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 5:17 am

JohnnyC wrote:
^ Interesting theory. Two things, though...

The Backseat ends The '59 Sound (Not Here's Looking At You, Kid) so it doesn't work quite as well.

It does. And Red At Night ends SoS. But, they are better songs to close the albums Then 'divorce' and 'here's looking at you' so may be the reasons they were chosen to do that, but the songs may still have been written with the intention to link.

Quote :

If you want to take it further, We Did It When We Were Young has two Brians (one singing in hushed low tones and the other screaming out to the heavens) telling a (somewhat) dark story about his past, which is basically a perfect description of Elsie.

This is true. I see Elsie as kind of the dark, raw emotional version of the story played out between '59 Sound - American Slang. E.G. Brian gets messed around by girl, misses her, wants her back, then Gaslight get big and he moves on and marries, girl wants him back, he's like, 'move on girl'.

'We Did It When We Were Young' also flows to '45' though. 'I cannot hold a candle for every pretty gun', 'don't write me no more letters', and of course 'we are older now, we did it when we were young'. Well now he's moved on in '45'. Maybe all this stuff wasn't written with that intention but it certainly works.
Back to top Go down
52imean54
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 2:12 am

norwegianstar wrote:

What I'm having a hard time understanding though, is the title. What does "45" mean?

Prisoner wrote:
i just realised that the friends Brian is singing about are the LP's themselves.

To me the song is about having the blues listening to music alone, while contemplating a lost love. Hence 'dance with your ghost' and 'the tick, ticking of hours, lonely.'

The friends that say turn the record over is the artist/band Brian is listening to.

One of those records is Better Sense by Hot Water Music

I really like the lyrics better now realising that.

I interpreted 'All my Friends say' more in the jumpy poppunk way the song embodies, but after the realisation the song is way more Gaslighty to me.

Hope this makes sense!

As someone answered the first post I've quoted, a 7inch vinyl is 45 rpm's, but it's worth nothing that a 12 inch record plays at 33rpm's aka 33 revolutions per minute. Prisoner is dead on. This is now a twice recurring theme. At least. I can't think of any other ones off the top of my head

Think about Blue Jeans and White T-Shirts: "And we sing with our heroes thirty-three rounds per minute
We're never going home until the sun says we're finished"

He's obviously talking about his heroes in life being the musicians he's idolized and listening to/singing with their work. I'm not even gonna get into how I think Blue Jeans & White T-Shirts is somewhat of an homage to 4Th Of July, Asbury Park (Sandy) by Springsteen, or how Patient Ferris Wheel, Even Cowgirls Get The Blues and a few other songs reference it right now.

Maybe that'll be song I review for the people in the Bring It On explanation thread that are asking me to do another one lol.
Seriously though, that song is worth checking out and thinking about and comparing to Blue Jeans, if anyone wants to look into it for themselves. This thread is about 45, and I don't have anything to add about that song.
Back to top Go down
Jaws
A Contender
A Contender
Jaws

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2016 2:00 pm

So, I know this song is almost four years old and the official lyrics are out there and everything, but am I really the only one who hears "let somebody else lay at my feet" in the chorus right before the outro?

I've thought that was the lyric since the song came out: that the narrator finally moves on and is willing to let someone else love him, rather than be hung up on a past love. The "where you used to be" bit makes more sense to me that way, as well.

I know acoustic versions and live versions are just "her feet", and there's no denying that. But I have never been able to hear anything else but "my feet" there in the end of the studio version. Even listening to it now.
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 5:12 pm

Definitely "my feet" in the last chorus
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 6:10 pm

I always hear "her feet" and I think it makes sense lyrically because he's describing what all his "friends say" to him.
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 6:16 pm

It's absolutely "her feet" throughout the song, then changes the last time through
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"45" (lyrics)
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: The Gaslight Anthem :: Song Meanings-
Jump to: