DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.


A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''
 
PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog in

 

 "45" (lyrics)

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

Posts : 950
Join date : 2012-02-28
Age : 40
Location : Union, NJ

"45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 11:33 am

That's the beauty of TGA....we can all have very different reactions and be fighting over the meaning of songs...and still agree the song is fun and interesting.
Back to top Go down
Jay
A Contender
A Contender
Jay

Posts : 298
Join date : 2009-11-24
Age : 29
Location : Lincoln Park, Chicago

"45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 11:36 am

njguy99 wrote:
Jay wrote:
As much as I love gaslight, does anybody else find this song a bit boring, lyrically at least? I feel like brian has already written better versions of this song.

I agree. It's a little generic for me. Not that it's bad, but when he said the songs will be very personal I was expecting something a little more.... personal?

Exactly. I'm not gonna rush to judgment about the album though. Hopefully this is the "Radio Track" designed to get the boys a little bit more mainstream rock radio airtime.

I'm really excited to hear the rest of the album but I always pause when the first single doesn't have much personality to it. Hopefully I'll be wrong. I didn't care much at all for Springsteen's first single off of wrecking ball but I love the album to death.
Back to top Go down
rumham
Wooderson
Wooderson


Posts : 346
Join date : 2011-08-18

"45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 11:51 am

oink wrote:
guess i already heard those first few chords......


youtube --> Muff Potter - Take a run at the sun

It does have an uncanny similar sound. I'm sure they did rip it off, just like Springsteen did by stealing The Animals riff for Badlands, nothing new here. I have never heard of them but I did find some vinyl with Chuck Ragan/Muff Potter so i'm sure Brian has listened to them before and i doubt it's a coincidence.
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2010-01-24
Age : 30
Location : On the flipside, Netherlands

"45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 3:39 pm

Gaslight just posted the lyrics on their blog! http://thegaslightanthem.tumblr.com/
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

Posts : 950
Join date : 2012-02-28
Age : 40
Location : Union, NJ

"45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 3:42 pm

And there's a big asterisk next to the words "Better Sense"...it is a reference to the HWM song...
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

Posts : 3009
Join date : 2012-04-13
Location : New Jersey

"45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 3:49 pm

nico0493 wrote:
I do believe its more mainstream but the lyrics are very personal. The song works on many levels, you have the big, catchy, radio anthem but you also have the concise but well-crafted story of realising that you cannot stay the same forever. That is particularly relevant to gaslight anthem's career because most of its loyal fanbase still wants to hear songs about big cars and nights out in the beach. Don't get me wrong Im absolutely in love with those songs but there comes a time in every band's career when they have to turn the record over. I think the line "I cannot change but I cant stay the same" refers to that question: how do I evolve as a songwriter without dissapointing my fans?

I think he manged to do it IMO Smile

I agree 100%. Yes the lyrics are much more "short and too the point" but all that does is make it more catchy. Is the message still there? yes. Is it a powerful/relatable message? yes. Are the lyrics that are there still creative? yes.

The fact that, like you said, it works on so many levels, that's the beauty of it. If you can make a song catchy and have it still have substance, you're golden.

That's personally how I felt about "We Take Care of Our Own" when Springsteen released that single. Catchy but with a tremendous amount of substance. Fans had the same reaction to that song too though. To each his own I guess!
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

Posts : 1881
Join date : 2010-08-24
Location : London, UK / Vienna, Austria

"45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 4:05 pm

loazis wrote:
Gaslight just posted the lyrics on their blog! http://thegaslightanthem.tumblr.com/

Just saw it Smile you all did a pretty good job with the lyrics! cheers

_________________
Manuela
twitter / instagram / youtube / last.fm

Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

Posts : 425
Join date : 2012-01-27
Age : 47
Location : Lincolnshire

"45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 4:37 pm

I love the drums.
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

Posts : 425
Join date : 2012-01-27
Age : 47
Location : Lincolnshire

"45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 4:49 pm

Devil's advocate - is Brian going over old ground here?
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

Posts : 601
Join date : 2011-01-17
Age : 24
Location : Norway

"45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 5:07 pm

Anybody else here flip the image they posted to try and read the lyrics to the song "Handwritten"?

Or did I go too far? haha
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

Posts : 601
Join date : 2011-01-17
Age : 24
Location : Norway

"45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 5:33 pm

I can say with certainty that the first 2 words are "pull it". I stopped after that because I felt too much like a creeper and too little like Gil Grissom.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

Posts : 577
Join date : 2009-02-06
Age : 32
Location : The Netherlands

"45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 5:39 pm

i just realised that the friends Brian is singing about are the LP's themselves.

To me the song is about having the blues listening to music alone, while contemplating a lost love. Hence 'dance with your ghost' and 'the tick, ticking of hours, lonely.'

The friends that say turn the record over is the artist/band Brian is listening to.

One of those records is Better Sense by Hot Water Music

I really like the lyrics better now realising that.

I interpreted 'All my Friends say' more in the jumpy poppunk way the song embodies, but after the realisation the song is way more Gaslighty to me.

Hope this makes sense!
Back to top Go down
nico0493
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
nico0493

Posts : 67
Join date : 2012-01-24
Age : 27
Location : London

"45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:00 pm

Prisoner wrote:
i just realised that the friends Brian is singing about are the LP's themselves.

To me the song is about having the blues listening to music alone, while contemplating a lost love. Hence 'dance with your ghost' and 'the tick, ticking of hours, lonely.'

The friends that say turn the record over is the artist/band Brian is listening to.

One of those records is Better Sense by Hot Water Music

I really like the lyrics better now realising that.

I interpreted 'All my Friends say' more in the jumpy poppunk way the song embodies, but after the realisation the song is way more Gaslighty to me.

Hope this makes sense!

Clap High Five EXACTLY ! but thats the beauty of it as @StitchesOnTheRadio was saying. For the broader audience is a catchy tune but if you look at it more carefully it has an amazingly well-crafted symbolism. I think is really hard to be able to accomplish such a complete matepahor in two verses, a bridge and a catchy chorus. (sorry I study literature thats how I nerd it out hahaha) anyways its opinions and nothing else Smile
Back to top Go down
nico0493
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
nico0493

Posts : 67
Join date : 2012-01-24
Age : 27
Location : London

"45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:10 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
nico0493 wrote:
I do believe its more mainstream but the lyrics are very personal. The song works on many levels, you have the big, catchy, radio anthem but you also have the concise but well-crafted story of realising that you cannot stay the same forever. That is particularly relevant to gaslight anthem's career because most of its loyal fanbase still wants to hear songs about big cars and nights out in the beach. Don't get me wrong Im absolutely in love with those songs but there comes a time in every band's career when they have to turn the record over. I think the line "I cannot change but I cant stay the same" refers to that question: how do I evolve as a songwriter without dissapointing my fans?

I think he manged to do it IMO Smile

I agree 100%. Yes the lyrics are much more "short and too the point" but all that does is make it more catchy. Is the message still there? yes. Is it a powerful/relatable message? yes. Are the lyrics that are there still creative? yes.

The fact that, like you said, it works on so many levels, that's the beauty of it. If you can make a song catchy and have it still have substance, you're golden.

That's personally how I felt about "We Take Care of Our Own" when Springsteen released that single. Catchy but with a tremendous amount of substance. Fans had the same reaction to that song too though. To each his own I guess!

High Five ! I was going to use springsteen as an example as well but didnt want to get too deep in the comparison. Thunder Road was originally 10 minutes long, it was cut down, to be more direct; more "radio friendly" if you want to use such expressions. Thats why it is so amazingly powerful. You said exactly how it is: "If you can make a song catchy and have it still have substance, you're golden."
Back to top Go down
Jay
A Contender
A Contender
Jay

Posts : 298
Join date : 2009-11-24
Age : 29
Location : Lincoln Park, Chicago

"45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 3:30 am

Prisoner wrote:
i just realised that the friends Brian is singing about are the LP's themselves.

To me the song is about having the blues listening to music alone, while contemplating a lost love. Hence 'dance with your ghost' and 'the tick, ticking of hours, lonely.'

The friends that say turn the record over is the artist/band Brian is listening to.

One of those records is Better Sense by Hot Water Music

I really like the lyrics better now realising that.

I interpreted 'All my Friends say' more in the jumpy poppunk way the song embodies, but after the realisation the song is way more Gaslighty to me.

Hope this makes sense!

Very astute observation. That went completely over my head. This song is way better knowing that!
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

Posts : 1230
Join date : 2010-01-24
Age : 30
Location : On the flipside, Netherlands

"45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 7:56 am

It's funny how we are all talking about how Brian's style might change and how Brian himself has said that it really is different this time, even though he said the same thing (sort of) about American Slang. And here we have this song called 45, about a vinyl record (nostalgia check), leaving things behind/moving on (subject check) and a direct reference to an artist he loves (reference check).

I'm not saying that Brian hasn't evolved or that he's a one-trick pony or anything like that (not at all!). It's just funny to me how we're all discussing how different this is while it's still so very Gaslight, so very Fallon. I love it.
Back to top Go down
AGoodTime
A Contender
A Contender
AGoodTime

Posts : 151
Join date : 2012-05-12
Age : 24
Location : The 'Shires

"45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 2:06 pm

njguy99 wrote:
Jay wrote:
As much as I love gaslight, does anybody else find this song a bit boring, lyrically at least? I feel like brian has already written better versions of this song.

I agree. It's a little generic for me. Not that it's bad, but when he said the songs will be very personal I was expecting something a little more.... personal?

I've got to disagree here. This song is as personal as all the others, in my opinion. It seems to me that most Gaslight Anthem songs are about the same time in Brian's life and about the same girl. This song "turn the record over" appears to be people telling him to move on and forget about her and is, as a result, setting up this album to be about something newer, possibly Hollie or his recovery.

This song is about him trying to change for the better and be happy, which is what Hot Water Music's Better Sense is about to the best of my knowledge.


Back to top Go down
TheContender
A Contender
A Contender
TheContender

Posts : 100
Join date : 2012-05-18
Age : 44
Location : Kansas

"45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 3:46 pm

luckysparks wrote:
Right now I feel like this song is the best thing my ears have ever heard. Worth the wait.

I'm obsessed with it.

The first stanza reminds me of a song that changed my life - "Black" by Pearl Jam. I know they influenced TGA so not surprising, but it's just so powerful.

Turn the record over - strong message that can mean so many things for so many people

See you on the flip side - Make that change. Just do it. Stop saying you will. Don't look back. See you in the "Rearviewmirror" Smile
Back to top Go down
saltandburn1967
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
saltandburn1967

Posts : 2891
Join date : 2012-05-21
Age : 31
Location : Overland Park, Kansas

"45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 2:09 am

I love this song so much. I have listened to it over 100 times since it was released. I think, as many people have suggested, that this song is about moving on. A guy and a girl had a good thing going on and then something went wrong. It is a hard journey for the guy to get over it but one day he realizes that he just needs to snap out of it. All his friends have been telling him to get over it and get into something new. He finally takes this advice and gets over her. Maybe down the line he will see her again but for now he just has to keep on living life happy. I actually think it is suppose to be a joyful song.
Back to top Go down
IAmDisappeared
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
IAmDisappeared

Posts : 34
Join date : 2011-03-04
Age : 29
Location : England

"45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 2:07 pm

it took me a while to get into this song, but christ, I cant get enough of it now. I find it one of Brian's most relatable songs.

It's clearly using Brian's new writing style as a metaphor for getting over a girl.

Have you seen my hands?
Just look at 'em shake.
and the song just keeps on repeating,
drop the needle again.
and I dance with your ghost,
oh, but that ain't the way…
I can't move on and I can't stay the same.


He's scared about letting go of the girl (hands shaking) he keeps going over their memories in his head (drop the needle again) he keeps thinking how they'll get together again and everything will be perfect (dance with your ghost) but realises he cant keep giving himself false hope (that aint they way)

and all my friends say…

"Hey hey, turn the record over.
Hey hey, and I'll see you on the flip side.
There you go, turn the key and engine over.
Let her go, let somebody else lay at her feet."


all his friends are telling him to leave her and let her go. to turn this chapter of his life over and let some other boy have her

Have you seen my heart,
have you seen how it bleeds?
And the nights are so long, baby,
Out here in the deep.
the tick, ticking of hours, lonely.
I hear the alarm
I used to hear when she would sleep in my arms
.

he loved the girl and is struggling to get over her (how it bleeds). time seems so long because shes not calling him, and he cant thinking of anything other than her (nights are so long....ticking of hours). he cant sleep so hes still awake when the alarm rings, when he was with the girl, he could sleep, so the alarm woke him.

But "better sense" says…

first words of 'better sense' are "To shed skin". the song is telling him hes got to let her go.

"Hey hey, turn the record over.
Hey hey, and I'll see you on the flip side.
There you go, turn the key and engine over.
Let her go, let somebody else lay at her feet."
and all my friends say,

"Hey hey, turn the record over.
Hey hey, and I'll see you on the flip side.
There you go, turn the key and engine over.
Let her go, let somebody else lay at her feet."

Where you used to be…here with me.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

Posts : 1218
Join date : 2009-12-12
Location : Jersey

"45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 3:49 pm

What's everybody's interpretation of the (implied) perspective change at the end of the song with "here with me". Obviously all his friends (or records, depending on your interpretation) aren't saying that Brian used to lay at the feet of his friends, so what is the take of the Sainters on this?
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

Posts : 1953
Join date : 2010-07-26
Age : 26
Location : The Dreaded Barbary Coast

"45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 3:56 pm

JohnnyC wrote:
What's everybody's interpretation of the (implied) perspective change at the end of the song with "here with me". Obviously all his friends (or records, depending on your interpretation) aren't saying that Brian used to lay at the feet of his friends, so what is the take of the Sainters on this?

I think he's just doing more reflection, like you used to be here but now you're gone, I think it falls in line with the rest of the song
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

Posts : 1218
Join date : 2009-12-12
Location : Jersey

"45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 3:59 pm

DeathoftheCool wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:
What's everybody's interpretation of the (implied) perspective change at the end of the song with "here with me". Obviously all his friends (or records, depending on your interpretation) aren't saying that Brian used to lay at the feet of his friends, so what is the take of the Sainters on this?

I think he's just doing more reflection, like you used to be here but now you're gone, I think it falls in line with the rest of the song

Right, I know, I just meant the flip in perspective is interesting. The chorus lyrics being told to Brian from the friends' POV and then switching back to first person for that line. One of those things that's easy to just overlook, but it enriches the experience when you really think about it.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

Posts : 1953
Join date : 2010-07-26
Age : 26
Location : The Dreaded Barbary Coast

"45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 4:13 pm

JohnnyC wrote:
DeathoftheCool wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:
What's everybody's interpretation of the (implied) perspective change at the end of the song with "here with me". Obviously all his friends (or records, depending on your interpretation) aren't saying that Brian used to lay at the feet of his friends, so what is the take of the Sainters on this?

I think he's just doing more reflection, like you used to be here but now you're gone, I think it falls in line with the rest of the song

Right, I know, I just meant the flip in perspective is interesting. The chorus lyrics being told to Brian from the friends' POV and then switching back to first person for that line. One of those things that's easy to just overlook, but it enriches the experience when you really think about it.

Yeah you're right, that is cool. Like he's taken all the advice and letting it marinate in his head, still not sure what to do. It's kind of a sad ending to the song though Sad
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

Posts : 1218
Join date : 2009-12-12
Location : Jersey

"45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 4:19 pm

Yeah, Brian knows how to get me very maudlin with a simple turn of phrase.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Sponsored content




"45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "45" (lyrics)   "45" (lyrics) - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
"45" (lyrics)
Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: The Gaslight Anthem :: Song Meanings-
Jump to: