DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Maria In The Songs

Go down 
+27
Gaslight23
Bea
katiehughes22
PFREEZY
Topher
lpxc09
At the corner round 9
paul-r-cfc
WoodyJoe
dmac
Stevearm
MKULTRA
steady now steady now
lynchyeatspizza
Scarlett
TGAFAN25
Sissy Hankshaw
Jukebox Romeo
kyleetrotter
MCStevepants
lhdez
JoshRaymond
njestreetbrat
spraypainthero
Stalls_Standing
e7c
Forum Owner
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
lynchyeatspizza
Wooderson
Wooderson
lynchyeatspizza

Maria In The Songs - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maria In The Songs   Maria In The Songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 7:02 am

Yeah it is different Smile It's still pretty good though. 
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lynchy911
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Maria In The Songs   Maria In The Songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 3:55 pm

e7c wrote:
I've done some more research* and found a few interesting Bruce Springsteen references to Maria. The first is called Maria's Bed, but the second reference I found is from a song called Highway Patrolman from the Nebraska album... I think this might be the song where Maria comes from:

here's a list, as of 2 Feb. 2009, of Springsteen's women (ie. of how often their names appears, incl. within the same song, hence chorus references skew the picture):

Mary/Maria 53
Janey 23
Kitty 10
Rosie 9
Sandy 9
Candy 8
Sherry 7
Frankie 5
Jenny 4
Wendy 3
Cherry 1

so you might as well say that every time Brian sings about Mary, he sings about the great Springteenean universal woman; and the reason Springsteen keeps going on about Marys/Marias, and the reason she is the universal woman, is that Mary is of course the great iconic dichotomous female figure of the Roman Catholicism he has struggled with for so long, Mary the saint and Mary the sinner

lastly, and just for fun (ie. with no analysis), here are Springsteen's car references:

Cadillac 20
Ford 6
Buick 3
Chevy 3
Mercedes 3
Harley 2
Dodge 1
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org

PostSubject: Re: Maria In The Songs   Maria In The Songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 5:32 pm

Steady that last post is brilliant! Did you count them yourself of find the info somewhere?

I guess Kitty or Rosie might be popping up on the next TGA album then!!??!
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: Maria In The Songs   Maria In The Songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 10:23 pm

Linda would be high on that list as well, as he says that name a ton in "linda, will you let me be the one?"

as for Maria, it's a pretty generic name (called every girl we ever met Maria), so i agree that it represents all women.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Maria In The Songs   Maria In The Songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 4:49 am

Tomaldo wrote:
Steady that last post is brilliant! Did you count them yourself of find the info somewhere?

I'm not nerdy enough to gather that sort of info myself; it's from a great double page in 'New York Magazine', 2 Feb. 2009, avaliable as a PDF here:

http://nymag.com/arts/articles/09/02/pop090202.pdf
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Stevearm
Wooderson
Wooderson
Stevearm

PostSubject: Re: Maria In The Songs   Maria In The Songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 11:40 am

Tomaldo wrote:

I guess Kitty or Rosie might be popping up on the next TGA album then!!??!

Kitty might have been in Great Expectations, but not sure if this really counts;

"And I learned about the blues from this Kitten I knew"
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/stevearm
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Maria In The Songs   Maria In The Songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 3:19 pm

Brian has said that he calls cute girls "kittens". i think it was at the Annandale Hotel show in Sydney
Back to top Go down
dmac
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Maria In The Songs   Maria In The Songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 3:41 pm

Kropotkin wrote:
I've often wondered about her, thanks for clearing it up. How long has he been married to Hollie if you know?

...even though this was posted over a year ago, they've been married 5 years and together for 9.
Back to top Go down
http://dmmaaacccc.tumblr.com
WoodyJoe
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
WoodyJoe

PostSubject: Re: Maria In The Songs   Maria In The Songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 1:08 am

I dunno if you guys listen to any rap music, but there's a rap duo from Minneapolis called Atmosphere.
The concept of Maria being all women and also a stand-in for other broader concepts, is very similar to his (the rapper Slug's) use of the character of Lucy in his songs.
Back to top Go down
paul-r-cfc
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
paul-r-cfc

PostSubject: Re: Maria In The Songs   Maria In The Songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 7:16 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVg7IyzTECc&feature=related

Link for the 1930 demo
Back to top Go down
At the corner round 9
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
At the corner round 9

PostSubject: Re: Maria In The Songs   Maria In The Songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 9:07 am

The earlier version is on Youtube

I don't reckon its Brian doing half the vocals on She Coulda Raised the Titanic, you can distinctly hear him when he comes in, did anyone else do any vocals on this amazing band
Back to top Go down
lpxc09
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Maria In The Songs   Maria In The Songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 7:13 pm

Counting Crows also uses the name Maria often.
The line "And Maria came to Nashville with a suitcase in her hand, I always kind of sort of wished I looked like Elvis" from High Lonesome is an allusion to CC's song 'Round Here, where they say "Maria came to Nashville with a suitcase in her hand, she said she'd like to meet a boy who looks like Elvis."
Back to top Go down
Topher
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Topher

PostSubject: Re: Maria In The Songs   Maria In The Songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 3:07 am

Very interesting thread, in general. I'd like to have a copy of Cut The Rope, one of the songs posted on that PureVolume page. Verrrry nice. You can tell this is before Brian really had his voice REALLY developed. She Coulda Raised The Titanic still sounds incredible, better than some of TGA songs. The song 1930 in specific has a very personal meaning to me... so this is even more incredible to me. And in regards to the Maria subject, which is why I'm here in the first place, haha; I think the Iconic Mary and Maria are the women spoken of in Springsteen records. I thought that on a few occasions, along with that line spoken in Blue Jeans and White T-shirts (call every girl we ever met maria...).
And the Cadillac referenced in Boomboxes and Dictionaries I think is more of a nostalgic springsteen reference. Not a direct one, but influenced by a Springsteen kind of memory. I do this a lot when I write songs. I write about things that other songs, be it Springsteen, or otherwise, remind me of. I think that's what Brian does. Enough mindless blathering. Good thread, guys.
Back to top Go down
http://youkeepthediner.tumblr.com
PFREEZY
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Maria In The Songs   Maria In The Songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 11:43 am

I love Maria.
Back to top Go down
http://freezy.tumblr.com
katiehughes22
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
katiehughes22

PostSubject: Re: Maria In The Songs   Maria In The Songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 11:37 am

wow 'she coulda raised the titanic' version is awsome. so raw, amazing.

yeah he said in an interview that the mary/maria referecne is quite a personal one and didnt give a proper reasoning.

brian also has a tattoo on his left side of his chest (above his heart) that says 'mary' inside a heart. interesting..
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: Maria In The Songs   Maria In The Songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 3:36 pm

this made me laugh:

On both Sink or Swim and Senor and the Queen we hear a lot about Maria. Why did you decide to call every girl Maria?
BF: That's kind of a secret. You'll steal all my mojo if I tell you what that's about. Nah, man that's a personal thing.

http://www.punknews.org/article/29575
Back to top Go down
Gaslight23
Wooderson
Wooderson
Gaslight23

PostSubject: Re: Maria In The Songs   Maria In The Songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 2:22 pm

Its like in Goodfellas where lots of the woman and called Maria
Back to top Go down
tipper.baggies
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Maria In The Songs   Maria In The Songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 2:50 pm

"Maria came from Nashville with a suitcase in her hand, she said she'd like to meet a boy who looks like Elvis" is the first line to Round Here by Counting Crows. I'm 99.9% certain that they used and mixed this line up for the chorus for High Lonesome. Counting Crows use the name Maria all the time too.

Seems a lot of bands searching for that old school American sound uses Maria.... at least that's how I view it from an English point of view.
Back to top Go down
elnoiangles
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
elnoiangles

PostSubject: Re: Maria In The Songs   Maria In The Songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 8:17 am

The Menzingers also reference Maria a fair bit I think, don't they?
I'm actually thinking of getting loads of girls' names from my favourite songs tattooed all over my chest and shoulders.
Ridiculous idea?
Back to top Go down
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
ivienco

PostSubject: Re: Maria In The Songs   Maria In The Songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 1:36 pm

elnoiangles wrote:
The Menzingers also reference Maria a fair bit I think, don't they?
I'm actually thinking of getting loads of girls' names from my favourite songs tattooed all over my chest and shoulders.
Ridiculous idea?

Well... It's gonna be highly misconsgtrued AND you'll probably regret it in a couple years Smile How bout an image instead of names? Like summing up all girls from the songs in one and have that tattoed Smile
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Maria In The Songs   Maria In The Songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 2:38 pm

I think Maria is to Brian, what "Mary" is to Bruce.
Back to top Go down
elnoiangles
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
elnoiangles

PostSubject: Re: Maria In The Songs   Maria In The Songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 5:14 am

ivienco you're right about it being misconstrued by any future ladies in my life....but I kind of like the ambiguity and the randomness of it!
But I agree it may not be a good idea long term.....maybe I should just go for 'Maria' and at least I can explain it by keeping a Gaslight Anthem 'Maria' playlist on hand as proof!?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Maria In The Songs   Maria In The Songs - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Maria In The Songs
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2