DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)

Go down 
+15
Shrewsbury_Stars
ozfacter
rsi1991
acousticbandit
DiamondSinatra
DaleCooper
B701
njguy99
TGAFAN25
steady now steady now
J.B.R.
CluckyB
Holland
Debonair
LuceroDiehard
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)    Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 2:51 am

Speaking as a mod: Please respect each others opinion and argue without offending others.

Take a look at the forum netiquette reminder which you can find in every subforum:
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com/t4361-forum-netiquette-reminder
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
Gumption
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)    Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 12:01 pm

rkirkpatrick25 wrote:
Gumption, coming in here and being a douche with your early posts isn't quite so endearing. There's lots of different opinions about what a place was or wasn't, yours doesn't reign supreme regardless of whether or not you'd like it to.
Not supreme, just objective.

I have been to the Pony many times, both to see bands and to just hang out. The difference is the Stone Pony is a live music venue first and bar second. Not the nicest of places either, but the Court Tavern is more of a bar that has music.

The Stone Pony is iconic because it has a rich history of musical legends having played there. It is known globally to casual music fans. The Court Tavern has had some small successes and played host to up and coming bands, and (other than this site) is not known beyond the region. "Iconic" is a bold term with big meaning.

Years ago, one of the many times the Stone Pony was rumored to be closing, it was national news that Bruce Springsteen was going to buy it. The Court Tavern closed without much of a blip on the local radar. To use the term iconic to describe both is fallacy.
Back to top Go down
DiamondSinatra
A Contender
A Contender
DiamondSinatra

PostSubject: Re: Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)    Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 4:15 pm

Gumption wrote:
rkirkpatrick25 wrote:
Gumption, coming in here and being a douche with your early posts isn't quite so endearing. There's lots of different opinions about what a place was or wasn't, yours doesn't reign supreme regardless of whether or not you'd like it to.

I have been to the Pony many times, both to see bands and to just hang out. The difference is the Stone Pony is a live music venue first and bar second. Not the nicest of places either, but the Court Tavern is more of a bar that has music.

The Stone Pony is iconic because it has a rich history of musical legends having played there. It is known globally to casual music fans. The Court Tavern has had some small successes and played host to up and coming bands, and (other than this site) is not known beyond the region. "Iconic" is a bold term with big meaning.

Years ago, one of the many times the Stone Pony was rumored to be closing, it was national news that Bruce Springsteen was going to buy it. The Court Tavern closed without much of a blip on the local radar. To use the term iconic to describe both is fallacy.

Let's put it this way: just because it's not special to you, doesn't mean it's not special to everyone. Case closed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.robdirienzo.com
Gumption
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)    Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 5:35 pm

DiamondSinatra wrote:
Gumption wrote:
rkirkpatrick25 wrote:

Let's put it this way: just because it's not special to you, doesn't mean it's not special to everyone. Case closed.

Special =/= iconic.
Back to top Go down
DiamondSinatra
A Contender
A Contender
DiamondSinatra

PostSubject: Re: Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)    Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 5:39 pm

Gumption wrote:
DiamondSinatra wrote:
Gumption wrote:
rkirkpatrick25 wrote:

Special =/= iconic.

Good lord....It's iconic to me and many artists that I value grew up playing there. Because you may not share the same sentiment, it probably won't be iconic to you. You're making such a stink off of such a silly thing.
Back to top Go down
Gumption
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)    Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 8:25 am

DiamondSinatra wrote:
Gumption wrote:
DiamondSinatra wrote:
Gumption wrote:
rkirkpatrick25 wrote:

Special =/= iconic.

Good lord....It's iconic to me and many artists that I value grew up playing there. Because you may not share the same sentiment, it probably won't be iconic to you. You're making such a stink off of such a silly thing.

And you can't not reply. You are devaluing the word.
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)    Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 10:37 am

Gumption, you're devaluing this board and everyone's right to express their own opinion. I think all that's needed to be said on this topic has been said, so let's move on.
Back to top Go down
DiamondSinatra
A Contender
A Contender
DiamondSinatra

PostSubject: Re: Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)    Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 5:02 pm

rkirkpatrick25 wrote:
Gumption, you're devaluing this board and everyone's right to express their own opinion. I think all that's needed to be said on this topic has been said, so let's move on.

Agreed. This place's opening in a few days...anyone plan on going?
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)    Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 5:04 pm

When does it actually open? I know Third Eye Blind is playing hte Pony on Friday night, if this place is open I just may kill two birds in one trip...
Back to top Go down
B701
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)    Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 8:13 pm

November 3.
Back to top Go down
B701
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)    Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 2:33 pm

Now it looks like beginning of October. Seems to change by the week.

http://newbrunswick.patch.com/articles/court-tavern-reopening-planned-for-beginning-of-october
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)    Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 5:21 am

The Star Ledger says Samiam will be the first to play at the reopened Court Tavern...

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/music/index.ssf/2012/10/court_tavern_to_reopen_with_sh.html

Quote :
The Court Tavern is picking up where it left off.

The New Brunswick club made its reputation as a haven for punk rock. When the doors of the club reopen next month, it'll be a punk rock favorite blaring away in the sweaty Church St. basement.

Samiam, a long-running and tunefully abrasive punk band from Berkeley, California, has announced through its Facebook page that it will play the Court's reopening party on Nov. 3. The quintet last appeared at the Court in October 2010.
Back to top Go down
DiamondSinatra
A Contender
A Contender
DiamondSinatra

PostSubject: Re: Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)    Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 2:02 pm

Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)  - Page 3 536269_3837945506625_1712385435_n

Andy Diamond's promoting the grand repoening.. poster by El Jefe

Cover will apparently be $1
..I might actually go to this
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)    Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 5:36 pm

awesome!
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)    Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 4:53 pm

So, how did the opening go?

Quote :
City music scene staple Court Tavern re-opens

By Marissa Oliva / Contributing Writer | Posted: Thursday, November 8, 2012 12:00 am

The Court Tavern has reopened under new management to reclaim its landmark status with the city’s music scene.

Michael Barrood, owner of Mike’s Courtside Bar and Grill in New Brunswick, purchased the bar in March after it closed in January. He said renovations took about six months to complete.

The bar held its grand opening Nov. 3, which was sponsored by Red Bull. The opening featured punk band Samiam, as well as The Scandals, Gates and Chris Batten, who are veterans to the Court Tavern, said manager Rocky Catanese.

Barrood felt that regulars of the old Court as well as newcomers were impressed with the renovations and changes made.

“It was great to see how happy it made them,” he said.[snip]

read the whole article here.

There's also a new website: http://www.court-tavern.com
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)    Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)  - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Court Tavern (Venue in NJ)
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3