DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Turntable and stereo set up

Go down 
+8
HorribleCrowe
Matilda Noir
Debonair
Sinngh
Harbortown
Shrewsbury_Stars
CluckyB
Phil Rockabill
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Phil Rockabill
A Contender
A Contender
Phil Rockabill

Turntable and stereo set up Empty
PostSubject: Turntable and stereo set up   Turntable and stereo set up Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 4:54 pm

How about we make a thread of our music/movie room? Or maybe a sticky if enough people are posting pictures Smile

I'll start

Basement - Social D, J. Cash and two of my all time favorite movies: Swingers and Pulp Fiction. I've got also Reservoir dogs and a couple of others on the other side of the room.
Turntable and stereo set up DSC00258-R

A couple of LP's
Turntable and stereo set up DSC00229

CD's
Turntable and stereo set up DSC00252-R

Live at the Roxy - Audio Technica PL120 (technic 1200 rip off) with a Shure Mx97xe cartridge. It sounds amazing. I'm using a brand new Onkyo receiver (no phono) as i'm using the internal pre amp that comes with the LP120. I heard it is not the best but i didn't experiment an external phono box yet so i can't compare. Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7gr-iuZ6uU
Turntable and stereo set up DSC00223

HTNR - Yellow - /1000. I'm thinking about getting this poster framed...
Turntable and stereo set up DSC00182

My vintage set up in my upstairs living room. Pionner receiver and a Garrard turntable from 1979. It belonged to my grand father and it still work perfectly.
Turntable and stereo set up DSC00221

And of course, Gaslight/Horrible Crowes combo from El Jefe! Don't you just love this animated Elvis lamp? Very Happy
Turntable and stereo set up DSC00245-R
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: Turntable and stereo set up   Turntable and stereo set up Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 4:52 am

My setup is nothing picture-worthy fancy looking. Hard to have a "music room" in a two room apartment =P. Its just one box sitting on top of another box.

I also have a Audio Technica ATLP120, hooked up to a Sherwood RX-4109 receiver with some lower-mid level Sony speakers. Sounds decent enough that I shaln't complain. Probably don't use it enough to make it a sound purchase but whatever its cool to have =)
Back to top Go down
Phil Rockabill
A Contender
A Contender
Phil Rockabill

PostSubject: Re: Turntable and stereo set up   Turntable and stereo set up Icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2011 10:37 am

CluckyB wrote:
My setup is nothing picture-worthy fancy looking. Hard to have a "music room" in a two room apartment =P. Its just one box sitting on top of another box.

I also have a Audio Technica ATLP120, hooked up to a Sherwood RX-4109 receiver with some lower-mid level Sony speakers. Sounds decent enough that I shaln't complain. Probably don't use it enough to make it a sound purchase but whatever its cool to have =)

Are you still using the stock cartridge that comes with the LP120? I switched cause it is tracking 2.5-3 grams, a little heavy for records. That cartridge was made for DJ'ing and scratching.

Come on people, post some pictures Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Turntable and stereo set up   Turntable and stereo set up Icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2011 7:51 pm

That's a sick set-up. I need to keep my equipment behind closed cabinet doors to keep my little one from destroying it. I also need to figure something out for my wine/whiskey rack as she's taken to pulling bottles out whenever she can.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Turntable and stereo set up   Turntable and stereo set up Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 3:43 am

You've got an awesome house.
Back to top Go down
Phil Rockabill
A Contender
A Contender
Phil Rockabill

PostSubject: Re: Turntable and stereo set up   Turntable and stereo set up Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 3:59 pm

Harbortown wrote:
You've got an awesome house.

Thanks man!
Back to top Go down
Sinngh
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Sinngh

PostSubject: Re: Turntable and stereo set up   Turntable and stereo set up Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 4:38 pm

Well, I'm afraid I can't compete with your set-up (that Garrard record player looks really neat), anyway, here's mine (I believe I've already posted this before on this website, I'm not sure though):
Turntable and stereo set up Th_DSC00023
The turntable is a Dual 626 from 1981, coupled to a Kenwood integrated amp that my father bought in Holland back in the mid-70's. Works like a charm. Smile
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Turntable and stereo set up   Turntable and stereo set up Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 5:55 pm

Phil, what ever it is you do for a living, I'm highly considering it. How much (estimated) is all of that? Or is it not really as expensive as it looks, ( I'm not great at pricing stuff lol! )
Back to top Go down
Phil Rockabill
A Contender
A Contender
Phil Rockabill

PostSubject: Re: Turntable and stereo set up   Turntable and stereo set up Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 6:38 pm

Sinngh wrote:
Well, I'm afraid I can't compete with your set-up (that Garrard record player looks really neat), anyway, here's mine (I believe I've already posted this before on this website, I'm not sure though):
The turntable is a Dual 626 from 1981, coupled to a Kenwood integrated amp that my father bought in Holland back in the mid-70's. Works like a charm. Smile

Nice amp and turntable. Gotta love the vintage stuff. They were built to last!

Debonair wrote:
Phil, what ever it is you do for a living, I'm highly considering it. How much (estimated) is all of that? Or is it not really as expensive as it looks, ( I'm not great at pricing stuff lol! )

Well, the vintage set up I didn’t pay for it. For the newer set up, in the basement, we’re talking at about 5000-5500$ total for the Plasma, amp, blueray, turntable and speakers. I still need surrounds though!

This basement was built over a couple of years…I don’t do anything special for a living ! lol I just put a lot of work in it.

Guys, I’m 33 years old…I’m an old man! Wink

Keep 'em coming!

Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Turntable and stereo set up   Turntable and stereo set up Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 6:41 pm

Phil Rockabill wrote:

Hey, speak for yourself! I just turned 33 and I'm a spry young buck.
Back to top Go down
Phil Rockabill
A Contender
A Contender
Phil Rockabill

PostSubject: Re: Turntable and stereo set up   Turntable and stereo set up Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 6:52 pm

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
Phil Rockabill wrote:

Only my girlfriend says i'm a young buck...she's 5 years and a half older than me hahaha Wink

Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Turntable and stereo set up   Turntable and stereo set up Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 6:58 pm

Phil Rockabill wrote:
Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
Phil Rockabill wrote:

Only my girlfriend says i'm a young buck...she's 5 years and a half older than me hahaha Wink

Ha! I call my wife a couger 'cause she's three days older than me. She loves that.

Back to the topic, I think there's a thread on vinyl collective where hundreds of peeps have posted pics of their audio setup.
Back to top Go down
Phil Rockabill
A Contender
A Contender
Phil Rockabill

PostSubject: Re: Turntable and stereo set up   Turntable and stereo set up Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 7:07 pm

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
Phil Rockabill wrote:
Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
Phil Rockabill wrote:

Ha! I call my wife a couger 'cause she's three days older than me. She loves that.

Back to the topic, I think there's a thread on vinyl collective where hundreds of peeps have posted pics of their audio setup.

Cougars! Ummm....ok back to the topic.
Yes, there is one on vinyl collective. That's where i got the idea of starting one here, since we have our share of record collectors on the forum. I must admit, there's some sick set up that have been posted there... affraid
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Turntable and stereo set up   Turntable and stereo set up Icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 12:04 am

Thayts awesome man, I'm the same way, I've invested alot/ have a nice 32- in flat screen, blue ray player/ surround sound combo, and an Xbox also, seems like alot, just invested time to getting all of it.

I'm looking to get a record player, since I have a surround sound system /blu ray player, I'm hoping to hook it up to it, to avoid additional speakers. Any recommendations? I have no clue what decent record players are? I don't want to go crazy, just something that could play the gaslight vinyls I have. Not too cheap, not too expensive.....
Back to top Go down
Phil Rockabill
A Contender
A Contender
Phil Rockabill

PostSubject: Re: Turntable and stereo set up   Turntable and stereo set up Icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 12:56 am

Debonair, if you want to hook it up directly to your surround system, you'll need a turntable with an internal pre amp since there is no phono on your receiver.

They are easy to recognize as you will have a phono/line out switch in the back. Most USB turntable have this. You will need to put the switch to line out to make it work.

Audio Technica, Stanton and Newmark, just to name a few, have a couple of models with this option.

You're in the states, so i believe you could get the same turntable as me for about ~250-280$. I wanted to get mine from Amazon but they don't ship this item to Canada. So, after a little bit of research, i had to order it from a local store and pay a little bit more.

If you want something cheaper, there's always the audio technica lp60 for about ~120$.

No matter what you get, in that price range, invest 50$ more for an audiophile Shure M97xe cartridge. It's a good investement. It's only tracking at about 1.5 grams (it'll reduce record wear) compare to the 2.5-3 grams turntables that i have mentionned. And the sound will be much better!

Setting up a turntable can be a pain sometimes. It's a lot of tweaking and you need to have a lot of patience, especially when you'll allign the cartridge. But once it's set up right, playing your favorite record is a very good feeling. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Turntable and stereo set up   Turntable and stereo set up Icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 1:14 am

Thanks for the info, will that play 7" also?
Back to top Go down
Phil Rockabill
A Contender
A Contender
Phil Rockabill

PostSubject: Re: Turntable and stereo set up   Turntable and stereo set up Icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 1:28 am

Debonair wrote:
Thanks for the info, will that play 7" also?

Yes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Turntable and stereo set up   Turntable and stereo set up Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 3:38 am

So I got a turntable, speakers, EQ box and a CD player from my friend's dad...all I have to buy now is a receiver for it to work.

Anyone got any cheap recommendations? I live in an apartment so I just want something that I'll get the job done.
Back to top Go down
Phil Rockabill
A Contender
A Contender
Phil Rockabill

PostSubject: Re: Turntable and stereo set up   Turntable and stereo set up Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 7:17 pm

oldgospelchoir wrote:
So I got a turntable, speakers, EQ box and a CD player from my friend's dad...all I have to buy now is a receiver for it to work.

Anyone got any cheap recommendations? I live in an apartment so I just want something that I'll get the job done.

What kind of turntable? New? Used? Let us know if it's got his own pre amp cause this will determine what kind of receiver you will need to buy.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Turntable and stereo set up   Turntable and stereo set up Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 10:38 pm

Phil Rockabill wrote:
oldgospelchoir wrote:

What kind of turntable? New? Used? Let us know if it's got his own pre amp cause this will determine what kind of receiver you will need to buy.

Its a used turntable. it says it is a servo controlled turntable Sony PS-LX 56....not sure if that helps. It didn't come in a box but I can take pics of it post em if that would help.

Much thanks
Back to top Go down
Phil Rockabill
A Contender
A Contender
Phil Rockabill

PostSubject: Re: Turntable and stereo set up   Turntable and stereo set up Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 12:46 am

oldgospelchoir wrote:
Phil Rockabill wrote:
oldgospelchoir wrote:

Its a used turntable. it says it is a servo controlled turntable Sony PS-LX 56....not sure if that helps. It didn't come in a box but I can take pics of it post em if that would help.

Much thanks

I did a quick search on google and this turntable doesn't have a pre amp so you'll need to get one if you will be connecting the turntable to a newer receiver with no phono. Or get an older receiver.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Turntable and stereo set up   Turntable and stereo set up Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 5:04 pm

thank you soo much for the help.
I'll post pictures once I buy the receiver and set everything up.
Back to top Go down
Matilda Noir
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Matilda Noir

PostSubject: Re: Turntable and stereo set up   Turntable and stereo set up Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 9:44 pm

OP: I noticed from your set up that you have the jackets stored in plastic sleeves -- but do you have the records on another shelf separate? I keep reading everywhere that to reduce/prevent ringwear on the jacket, they need to be stored separately w/ each in its own plastic sleeve....thoughts? ...nice set up btw.
Back to top Go down
Phil Rockabill
A Contender
A Contender
Phil Rockabill

PostSubject: Re: Turntable and stereo set up   Turntable and stereo set up Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 9:57 pm

Matilda Noir wrote:
OP: I noticed from your set up that you have the jackets stored in plastic sleeves -- but do you have the records on another shelf separate? I keep reading everywhere that to reduce/prevent ringwear on the jacket, they need to be stored separately w/ each in its own plastic sleeve....thoughts? ...nice set up btw.

No, the records are in the sleeves. Protective plastic sleeves will prevent ringwear.

Back to top Go down
Matilda Noir
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Matilda Noir

PostSubject: Re: Turntable and stereo set up   Turntable and stereo set up Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 1:01 am

Phil Rockabill wrote:
Matilda Noir wrote:

No, the records are in the sleeves. Protective plastic sleeves will prevent ringwear.

Good enough, thanks! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Turntable and stereo set up   Turntable and stereo set up Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Turntable and stereo set up
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next