DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who needs fancy clothes?

Go down 
+8
steph
plugga
Perry
Harbortown
Phil Rockabill
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Holland
JimmyB
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Expensive/designer Clothes
worth it
Who needs fancy clothes? Vote_lcap21%Who needs fancy clothes? Vote_rcap
 21% [ 4 ]
Rip off
Who needs fancy clothes? Vote_lcap47%Who needs fancy clothes? Vote_rcap
 47% [ 9 ]
Lower the cost
Who needs fancy clothes? Vote_lcap32%Who needs fancy clothes? Vote_rcap
 32% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 19

AuthorMessage
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

Who needs fancy clothes? Empty
PostSubject: Who needs fancy clothes?   Who needs fancy clothes? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 10:32 am

I mean really. who needs 200 dollar pants or shirts?
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Who needs fancy clothes?   Who needs fancy clothes? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 10:40 am

It depends , if the quality is better i prefer to spend a lot and wear them for about 5 years.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Who needs fancy clothes?   Who needs fancy clothes? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 11:01 am

seriously for me. a Short sleeve button down shirt, a watch, a black shirt underneath, wrangler jeans (not baggy), Converse hi tops, and black socks is my style, nothing wrong with this right?
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Who needs fancy clothes?   Who needs fancy clothes? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 11:41 am

JimmyB wrote:
seriously for me. a Short sleeve button down shirt, a watch, a black shirt underneath, wrangler jeans (not baggy), Converse hi tops, and black socks is my style, nothing wrong with this right?

You can't go wrong with Converse! I have loved Converse since my first pair of purple All Stars hi tops in 1987. I was the coolest kid in Kindergarten. Wink Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Phil Rockabill
A Contender
A Contender
Phil Rockabill

PostSubject: Re: Who needs fancy clothes?   Who needs fancy clothes? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 12:50 pm

A pair of Levis, converse-vans, a t-shirt and/or a checkered shirt usually do it for me.

But i like to wear fancier shirts sometimes. Like a nice button down shirt from Fred Perry/Ben sherman with a v neck sweater. I got a couple of Fred Perry polos too.

I rarely pay full price for fancier stuff. I either buy online or buy from the clearance rack. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Who needs fancy clothes?   Who needs fancy clothes? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 2:10 pm

JimmyB wrote:
All is well except the short sleeve button down shirt. Short sleeves look kinda bad in my opinion, it's always better to go with long sleeves and then roll up the sleeves. It's a classic, manly look.

Anyway, on topic.
I used to think that you don't have to spend a lot of money on clothes. And you don't necessarily have to do that, but as with everything else, you get what you pay for. A 1000 dollar Gibson Les Paul will sound better than a 200 dollar knockoff, just like a 100 dollar pair of Levi's jeans will look better and last longer than a 15 dollar pair.

I went to a party last night, wearing nothing too fancy, but I did put some thought into it and it was more than the ordinary jeans, t-shirt and sneaker ensemble and I got compliments from a bunch of girls. It's not about the brand but about the fit and the quality. Fit is law.
Back to top Go down
Perry
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Who needs fancy clothes?   Who needs fancy clothes? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 4:16 pm

I think I agree with the notion here. Everyday wear clothes shouldn't be so expensive that you can't use them to help a stranger, or ruin them if you fall in the dirt (as long as you are young enough, or not in a job where dressing such is mandatory)
Still, if you are to have more fancy clothes as a suit, sports clothing or just about anything a little more special than everyday wear, for the love of someone, buy quality, it will pay of in the long run anyway. It's cheaper to buy a well fitted suit that lasts you 20 years for $2000 than a lesser suit lasting you 5 years for $700 dollars. And that is without comparison to the fit.
Outdoor wear aswell, lesser clothing will not protect you as good from harsh wheater than better clothing, and in most cases if a jacket is to cold you will trade it in for something better eventually.

Cost per Use is the alpha omega here, but don't shrug over fit aswell.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who needs fancy clothes?   Who needs fancy clothes? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 6:48 pm

I used to always buy cheap clothes, and would laugh at people spending hundreds of dollars on jeans or whatever. But, like others have said, it really does make a difference in quality, and now I always make sure I'm getting something that's gonna last. And since I started buying better quality clothes, I actually feel nicer too. I don't only buy expensive stuff, though. Sometimes you can find something great at Goodwill or any other thrift store. As Harbortown said, the fit is law. For me, at least, and if I find something at Goodwill that doeasnt' fit, I can always juast alter it! All that being said, it doesn't really matter to me what anyone else wears. If you're comfy in baggy jeans, and tees, that's fine. I think it was Benny who said in an interview once, "Wear what you dig.". And I definitely agree with that.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Who needs fancy clothes?   Who needs fancy clothes? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 8:02 pm

stepsandnumbers wrote:
If you're comfy in baggy jeans, and tees, that's fine.
NO! LAWBREAKER! STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who needs fancy clothes?   Who needs fancy clothes? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 12:10 am

Harbortown wrote:
stepsandnumbers wrote:

oh, Harbortown, you would love the random people I see at work every night. The other night a guy came in with pants about 5 sizes too big, and sagging almost to his knees, and then to top it off, a gigantic t-shirt, and combat boots. I laughed.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Who needs fancy clothes?   Who needs fancy clothes? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 7:38 am

stepsandnumbers wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
stepsandnumbers wrote:

oh, Harbortown, you would love the random people I see at work every night. The other night a guy came in with pants about 5 sizes too big, and sagging almost to his knees, and then to top it off, a gigantic t-shirt, and combat boots. I laughed.
Oh, Americans. One of my housemates always wears shorts, Iron Maiden shirts, combat boots and white socks pulled all the way up. But I'm profiling myself as the fashionable guy.

You know it's funny, ever since I came to Sweden I'm seeing all these really stylish people, it's almost threatening haha.
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: Who needs fancy clothes?   Who needs fancy clothes? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 8:03 am

baggy pants were hideous even when they were in fashion to me. Why would I ever want to see your underwear, eeeewwwwww
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Who needs fancy clothes?   Who needs fancy clothes? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 11:15 am

plugga wrote:
baggy pants were hideous even when they were in fashion to me. Why would I ever want to see your underwear, eeeewwwwww

Haha, you are totally right! About 90% of the guys I went to school with (back in the 90s when baggy pants were all the rage) wore their pants around their knees and looked like total idiots. I can't even count how many times I saw them running to class, losing their pants along the way. I laughed every time they tripped and fell over. So stupid!
Back to top Go down
Phil Rockabill
A Contender
A Contender
Phil Rockabill

PostSubject: Re: Who needs fancy clothes?   Who needs fancy clothes? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 2:45 pm

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
plugga wrote:

Haha, you are totally right! About 90% of the guys I went to school with (back in the 90s when baggy pants were all the rage) wore their pants around their knees and looked like total idiots. I can't even count how many times I saw them running to class, losing their pants along the way. I laughed every time they tripped and fell over. So stupid!

I can relate. Blame it on the beastie boys lol. In the 90's, even the "grunges" wore larger pants mostly because a lot of them were skateboarders or ex-skateboarders. Seriously, I'd say it's even worse today.

But, there's something uglier than baggy pants: The baseball hats with the straight bills and the lame stickers still attached.
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: Who needs fancy clothes?   Who needs fancy clothes? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 9:23 pm

the beastie boys looked (and still look) super cool though hahaha
thank god we don't see many baseball hats here!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who needs fancy clothes?   Who needs fancy clothes? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 6:32 am

Phil Rockabill wrote:
IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
plugga wrote:

I can relate. Blame it on the beastie boys lol. In the 90's, even the "grunges" wore larger pants mostly because a lot of them were skateboarders or ex-skateboarders. Seriously, I'd say it's even worse today.

But, there's something uglier than baggy pants: The baseball hats with the straight bills and the lame stickers still attached.

oh my god. Those hats are EVERYWHERE in my town. Just about every guy between the ages of 13 and 22 wears them.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Who needs fancy clothes?   Who needs fancy clothes? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 4:16 am

i used to think anything expensive (read: anything over $40) was ridiculous and overpriced and most likely bought just for the label, and while i don't completely disagree with that now, i am more open to the idea of paying more for better quality and longer lasting material than just crap. basically as long as you're not buying something for the label (i can't stand those Louis Vuitton purses, for example, with the "LV" logo all over it...it's one thing to pay for style, another thing to pay to advertise someone's company, aka paying for the privilege of advertising that you can afford to pay for that privilege...ugh).
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: Who needs fancy clothes?   Who needs fancy clothes? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 9:09 am

in a perfect world, however, everyone would dress like Alex L
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Who needs fancy clothes?   Who needs fancy clothes? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 9:10 am

plugga wrote:
in a perfect world, however, everyone would dress like Alex L
bingo
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: Who needs fancy clothes?   Who needs fancy clothes? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 9:24 am

exhibit A:

Who needs fancy clothes? Tumblr_lweg2l3yrQ1r0eu1do1_500
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Who needs fancy clothes?   Who needs fancy clothes? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 9:31 am

Exhibit B:

Who needs fancy clothes? Alex
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: Who needs fancy clothes?   Who needs fancy clothes? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 12:50 pm

Does anyone else think Alex L just has 20 white t-shirts hanging in his closet an that's it?
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Who needs fancy clothes?   Who needs fancy clothes? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 1:13 pm

He'd better.
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: Who needs fancy clothes?   Who needs fancy clothes? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 1:14 pm

Because he looks damn good in them, classiest gaslight member!
Back to top Go down
ThisMachineKillsFascists
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ThisMachineKillsFascists

PostSubject: Re: Who needs fancy clothes?   Who needs fancy clothes? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Also love those Ben Sherman button down shirts that he wears sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who needs fancy clothes?   Who needs fancy clothes? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who needs fancy clothes?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next