DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records

Go down 
+44
J.B.R.
colmillionaire
Gaslight23
Prisoner
gaslightfan89
Phil Rockabill
Grant Michael
madsmom
LuceroDiehard
riversedge
brucesboots
mingus
J_Schooly
Shrewsbury_Stars
kupe
JJW319
spgilbert
bt211
ksupilot
Harbortown
enola
B701
Down by the Mersey
plugga
Daire
I am Incinerator
markbarlow
IKeeptheDiner
Pel.71
marcsnitz
CluckyB
steady now steady now
StopAndSlideToTheRight
MxBx!
Debonair
luckysparks
JukeboxJuliet
TGAFAN25
Jerseyrain
simo
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Bea
Holland
Christophe
48 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 11:23 pm

bt211 wrote:
I remember mention somewhere that Brian said he was hoping they'd be recording the next record in Nashville. It may have been in one of the Horrible Crowes interviews talking about what's next for TGA. Maybe that all goes together.

Yes I remember that. I believe that Mercury (in the US) was or is located there...
Back to top Go down
kupe
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 1:46 am

JJW319 wrote:
bt211 wrote:
I remember mention somewhere that Brian said he was hoping they'd be recording the next record in Nashville. It may have been in one of the Horrible Crowes interviews talking about what's next for TGA. Maybe that all goes together.

Yes I remember that. I believe that Mercury (in the US) was or is located there...

They are recording in Nashville in January
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 4:42 am

the reaction on Punknews is generally positive and there are somne interesting comments at

www.punknews.org/article/44684
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 4:57 am

Yeah that actually surprised me. It looks like punknews has gone a full phipster (or whatever you wanna call a punk hipster) cycle on Gaslight.

I just really hope this works out for them. I like a lot of bands and there are a lot of musicians I wanna see do well, but Gaslight tops them all. This is a big risk for them. They could certainly wind up getting burned. Against Me! and Lucero didn't find much major label success, but on the other hand Rise Against went from certainly smaller than Gaslight is now (Siren Song of the Counter Culture was their major label debut and only peaked at 136 on the charts) to the biggest punk band in the world and one of the biggest rock bands. So it will be interesting to see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 5:50 am

also, i hate the goo goo dolls now. 'jed' and 'a boy named goo' are still two of my all time favorite records. but from 'dizzy up the girl' and on, i have hated them.[/quote]

I know there are a lot of Goo fans that feel the way you do. Theyre one of my top 5 bands Id say but I must admit the last album 'Something for the rest of us' really didn't strike much of a chord with me. I liked Let Love In though and obviously their best albums between 1995 and 2001 were awesome. It is worrying that they are now more reliant on slower songs but I think John Rzezniks voice has changed so maybe its what he's comfortable with but I think they need to look at changeing a few minds by making a real rocky album again with Robby singing a couple more songs. If Gaslight have the level of popularity that GGD's have I'll be happy because we'll still have that accessibility but if they experience (as Holland says) a Kings of Leon style breakthrough, we might have to forget our guaranteed spots in the first few rows and getting an autograph now and then.

There will unfortunately be an influx of fans who discover them without really knowing their history and what theyre about. This is inevitable, its a shame but something we will just have to get used to and live with. I can't see them flopping with a major label because their music is too good and I think appeals to a wider audience than Against Me! might (who I love btw).

One thing Brian liked about S1D was that he knew all the staff and had freedom to suggest things and do what he wanted. Mercury I can imagine being a lot stricter, demanding and Brian the band won't have the same freedom but if it works out I think creating their own label afterwards would be a good way to go.
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
JukeboxJuliet
A Contender
A Contender
JukeboxJuliet

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 10:10 am

I'm not sure if this was the same interview I mentioned earlier or not. I read a lot :/
Brian has also mentioned in interviews that he knows that fans want to get close to them at shows.
So, although they'd like to expand and start playing some bigger shows, I believe he said that with the next Gaslight tour they'd aim for this, but also make sure to play a few small venues and concert halls where the fans can have that small show experience they're looking for.

I really hope that stays true with the move to a bigger label.
I guess, just incase, all the more reason to see them in NJ this December?

Anyways, all the best to them, looking forward to the new album.
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 11:24 am

from Brian's twitter:

Quote :
We are very excited to announce we've signed with Mercury Records! Expect a new record in 2012!
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 11:27 am

I agree with everyone who wishes TGA as much financial success and popularity as possible. They deserve it.

One thing to keep in mind though is that signing to a major label in no way assures that increased success and popularity will come. It does ensure that TGA will get its name out there more but I think that's only half the equation. The other half is obviously the music. If the music doesn't catch on with a more mainstream audience, signing to Mercury (by itself) isn't going to make them megastars.

You could write a list a mile long of independent acts that signed to major labels only to gain a moderate increase in popularity followed by a return to an independent label. Among them are Bad Religion, Thursday, Against Me!, Less Than Jake, Reel Big Fish, Samiam, Suicide Machines, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, etc.

Although there are bands like Green Day whose signing with a major label turned them into superstars, I think there are fewer Green Days than there Less Than Jakes.

This is all just food for thought to keep things in perspective. I personally hope TGA can one day sell out stadiums.

I also think it's incredibly snobby to complain about new fans getting into TGA. There was a time that you didn't know who TGA was. You don't own their music or their scene. Get over it.
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 11:38 am

ok i will probably always listen and support this band, i have no doubt the next album will be amazing and i'm happy for them and all that blablabla. but on a selfish note, i kind of like this little "secret club" that we have going on in here, and i like the fact that no one i know knows about them.

and i'll get really pissed if i run into someone in the future that says "oh i love the Gaslight Anthem!! they're my favorite band! what's their first record called? uh... i don't know, i just like this and this song"...
Back to top Go down
J_Schooly
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 11:41 am

I'm not surprised. The "American Slang" preorder seemed like it overwhelmed S1D a bit; I know I had problems getting my shipment on time and the response was: "It's crazy here." Gaslight has simply outgrown that label.

Yeah, it makes me a little nervous that the band will change with playing bigger venues and having more fans, etc., but that was gonna happen no matter what. It already has, in some ways; they played Radio City and Glastonbury, etc., after all. I've heard TGA tracks played before Washington Capitals games over the PA, and used as background "bumper music" on talk radio stations, etc. The music's getting out there.

If the next album was on S1D and had a "Use Somebody"-type breakthrough song, Gaslight would blow up regardless of what label they're on. This may give that a bit better chance of happening than being on S1D, but it's about the songs, ultimately, not the label. So seems to me going to Mercury will only make their lives easier, and help them make as much money as they can. Who wouldn't want that?

The good thing is that it isn't like they're some fresh-faced kids who just got a hit single and some label is coming in to take advantage of them. They had to know what they're getting into, and I'm sure went into this with eyes wide open.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 11:46 am

Bea wrote:
...and i'll get really pissed if i run into someone in the future that says "oh i love the Gaslight Anthem!! they're my favorite band! what's their first record called? uh... i don't know, i just like this and this song"...

Take that opportunity to educate them about the band and their music since you have been a fan for so long. What's wrong with Brian and the guys becoming so popular that everyone knows their music? That would be fantastic for them, and that's what really matters here. I get what you're saying, but still, it's not about any of us.
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 12:10 pm

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
Bea wrote:
...and i'll get really pissed if i run into someone in the future that says "oh i love the Gaslight Anthem!! they're my favorite band! what's their first record called? uh... i don't know, i just like this and this song"...

Take that opportunity to educate them about the band and their music since you have been a fan for so long. What's wrong with Brian and the guys becoming so popular that everyone knows their music? That would be fantastic for them, and that's what really matters here. I get what you're saying, but still, it's not about any of us.
i know, that's why i said "on a selfish note...". i'm happy for the guys, but i still have an opinion Wink
Back to top Go down
mingus
A Contender
A Contender
mingus

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 12:30 pm

I'm actually quite excited about this. If this gives them the opportunity to grow as a band, and become more widely known and appreciated, ànd they can make more money with it (and that is something they deserve): why not?

As opposed to other people, I'm not against the idea of TGA attracting more fans and even playing bigger venues. As long as they don't go down with it, like Kings of Leon recently, it's okay. And I don't think that something like that will happen, a guy like Brian knows what he's doing.

But yes, I like the idea of TGA playing on the radio here, and more of my friends knowing and liking them. There is not really a problem with going mainstream as long as the music keeps rocking. I would like nothing more than a lot of people appreciating good music like TGA, and for me personally, it doesn't really matter if they are following the band since "Sink or Swim" or if they get to know them in a few months by hearing a song on the radio.
Back to top Go down
brucesboots
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 1:13 pm

at some point this had to happen, good luck to them.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 1:15 pm

quite gutted about this, cant expect them to stay on S1D all their career though. Hope this dosen't change one iota of the band though...
Back to top Go down
brucesboots
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 1:23 pm

riversedge wrote:
quite gutted about this, cant expect them to stay on S1D all their career though. Hope this dosen't change one iota of the band though...

I would say the days of meeting and chatting with them at gigs will be the first thing to go. Its been a great 4 or so years , got so many great memorys .....they desrve to go next level lo and I dont think staying with S1D they would have done that , I wonder if THC will stay with sideone or if Mercury has signed brian that includes Ian aswell ? Brian has said he intended doing more Crowes stuff.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 1:25 pm

brucesboots wrote:
riversedge wrote:

I would say the days of meeting and chatting with them at gigs will be the first thing to go. Its been a great 4 or so years , got so many great memorys .....they desrve to go next level lo and I dont think staying with S1D they would have done that , I wonder if THC will stay with sideone or if Mercury has signed brian that includes Ian aswell ? Brian has said he intended doing more Crowes stuff.

have to wait and see... quite sad to see them move on if im honest!
Back to top Go down
LuceroDiehard
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
LuceroDiehard

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 2:10 pm

"Oh yea and also expect many FULL US and Canada tours"

The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 3 313716_230591013665435_100001436135594_678660_497654906_n
Back to top Go down
http://bobbyw24.tumblr.com/archive
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 2:19 pm

brucesboots wrote:
riversedge wrote:

Why does being on a major label change their ability to hang around after gigs?
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 2:25 pm

I wonder what benny has to say, about being signed to the same label as Justin Bieber and all.
Back to top Go down
brucesboots
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 2:25 pm

CluckyB wrote:
brucesboots wrote:
riversedge wrote:

Why does being on a major label change their ability to hang around after gigs?

I would guess that a bigger label will push them on to bigger venues, which means more security.
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 2:26 pm

I just want to be there if they ever meet.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 2:29 pm

I don't know that they will stop meeting fans just because of bigger label/venues. No matter what kind of venue you play, personal contact is always a great way to build a fanbase. It's not as if that because TGA have signed to a major label that they have "made it" to where they want to be. They will still want to keep getting their name out there and attracting new fans. I've been to fairly big shows where the bands still go hang out at the merch table afterwards or whatever, so I wouldn't get too bummed out. And it's not as if TGA is going to forget about all the fans that helped them to get to this point.
Back to top Go down
luckysparks
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
luckysparks

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 2:44 pm

StopAndSlideToTheRight wrote:
I wonder what benny has to say, about being signed to the same label as Justin Bieber and all.

bwahahaha Laughing
Back to top Go down
madsmom
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
madsmom

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 3:10 pm

bobbyw24 wrote:
"Oh yea and also expect many FULL US and Canada tours"

The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 3 313716_230591013665435_100001436135594_678660_497654906_n

Haha this is my pic !!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next