DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records

Go down 
+44
J.B.R.
colmillionaire
Gaslight23
Prisoner
gaslightfan89
Phil Rockabill
Grant Michael
madsmom
LuceroDiehard
riversedge
brucesboots
mingus
J_Schooly
Shrewsbury_Stars
kupe
JJW319
spgilbert
bt211
ksupilot
Harbortown
enola
B701
Down by the Mersey
plugga
Daire
I am Incinerator
markbarlow
IKeeptheDiner
Pel.71
marcsnitz
CluckyB
steady now steady now
StopAndSlideToTheRight
MxBx!
Debonair
luckysparks
JukeboxJuliet
TGAFAN25
Jerseyrain
simo
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Bea
Holland
Christophe
48 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 4:49 pm

CluckyB wrote:

As much as I hate to say it because I like a lot of the bands on S1D -- they have honestly gotten Gaslight as far as they can.

I couldn't agree with you more.
Back to top Go down
marcsnitz
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
marcsnitz

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 4:55 pm

http://www.altpress.com/news/entry/the_gaslight_anthem_sign_to_mercury_records_new_album_in_2012

Alternative Press has confirmed it with SideOneDummy

Quote :
Former AP cover stars the Gaslight Anthem have signed to Mercury Records, current home of Neon Trees, Portishead, Noel Gallagher and more. “We can confirm this," says a spokesperson for Gaslight's former label, SideOneDummy Records. "We are super-happy for the dudes in Gaslight and wish them the best!” The band will release their major-label debut and follow-up to 2010's American Slang next year; their final S1D release will be an iTunes Session set to drop digitally on Dec. 13.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/snitzonsnacks
Pel.71
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Pel.71

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 5:00 pm

they deserve all the money in the world for the fab records they have turned out , will be sad for sideone, but ive said for along time now that brian fallon is just too good a singer not be more well known than he is now and mercury could help with that . just hope we can all still get tickets if true ..
Back to top Go down
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
IKeeptheDiner

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 5:10 pm

Uhh.....congrats.........I'm not upset with this. I'm actually happy for the guys. I'm just trying to figure out some sort of 49 Mercury joke.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 5:17 pm

IKeeptheDiner wrote:
Uhh.....congrats.........I'm not upset with this. I'm actually happy for the guys. I'm just trying to figure out some sort of 49 Mercury joke.

no need for a joke, the lines speak for themselves:

"Thank the good Lord for sending His angels, in a '49 Mercury for lightning fast getaways.
And keep your singin' voice golden, keep your red shoes on.
I just wanna sing Motown soul, and buy my baby something nice to take home."
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
markbarlow
Wooderson
Wooderson
markbarlow

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 5:20 pm

Pleased for the band if this is true, they certainly deserve it and it'd be nice to hear them on the radio more.

I'll make the most of the Revival shows I see though as those kind of gigs will be a lot rarer once Brian's a pop star!
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 5:25 pm

Its on punk news now too so i guess it is pretty official
Back to top Go down
I am Incinerator
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 5:27 pm

That's pretty cool.

I have always hated the backlash bands receive when they go to a major label. Being a Pro musician is like being a pro athlete, you gotta make this money when you can, while you can, for ever how long it's coming in and you are relevant.

I highly doubt labels set up 401k's and retirement/pension accounts for the bands, and unlike pro athletes, I don't think there are unions set up to have the best interests of the bands/musicians.

Now, if I see a bunch of douchebag a-holes at a Gaslight show next time they come 'round. I will be sad. I saw this kind of progression when I saw The Black Keys three times over the course of a year, and they have been on a sub. of a major label (Nonesuch/Warner) since atleast 06, and within the past year or two they blew up. I guess it depends on how fast the major label can get them out there.
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 5:33 pm

Fake Problems mention it on Twitter. Guess it's true.

Good luck to the guys, hope it works out for them unlike other bands who have moved on to Mercury.
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 5:49 pm

happy for them, I trust them completely and I absolutely cannot wait for this album.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Im happy for them they do deserve it. Im coming around to the idea. When I look at a band like The Goo Goo Dolls, theyre with a good label, good level of popularity but theyre still only playing places like Manchester Apollo and Manchester Academy when they come over. I think as long as the venue size doesn't go up too much I don't mind that they go for the megabucks.
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
Down by the Mersey
Wooderson
Wooderson
Down by the Mersey

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 6:42 pm

Good luck to them I say. We all hope that we don't lose the level of access we currently have but this is good news for them and their career. Personally I think their story is only just beginning and we are lucky to have been involved in the first few chapters.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/bosshugo
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 6:47 pm

By the way, as someone mentioned on the FB group (which has more discussion on this than we have), it would appear that The Horrible Crowes are still with SideOneDummy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 6:51 pm

jerseyrain wrote:
When I look at a band like The Goo Goo Dolls, theyre with a good label, good level of popularity but theyre still only playing places like Manchester Apollo and Manchester Academy when they come over.

the biggest issue with the Goo Goo Dolls is that all of their recent music SUCKS.

They're playing smaller venues over their because they're resting on the laurels of Boy Named Goo, Dizzy Up the GIrl and Gutterflower....

If Gaslight ever ended up like Goo Goo Dolls, just making half-ass records to try to stay relevant and cash in, I'd be SO SO SO disappointed....

I think the GGD are the most perfect example of a band that could have been special, but sold out... I'd die if that happeend to Gaslight too....
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 7:22 pm

*grabs popcorn and heads to punknews to watch all the punx complain about Gaslight being the next against me!*
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 7:59 pm

rkirkpatrick25 wrote:
jerseyrain wrote:
When I look at a band like The Goo Goo Dolls, theyre with a good label, good level of popularity but theyre still only playing places like Manchester Apollo and Manchester Academy when they come over.

the biggest issue with the Goo Goo Dolls is that all of their recent music SUCKS.

They're playing smaller venues over their because they're resting on the laurels of Boy Named Goo, Dizzy Up the GIrl and Gutterflower....

If Gaslight ever ended up like Goo Goo Dolls, just making half-ass records to try to stay relevant and cash in, I'd be SO SO SO disappointed....

I think the GGD are the most perfect example of a band that could have been special, but sold out... I'd die if that happeend to Gaslight too....

Goo Goo Dolls recent music does NOT suck. They have never made a 'half-ass' record as you put it and aside from Gaslight they are my next favourite band. Goo Goo Dolls have made some of the best rock music of the past 15 years or so and I really don't see how they have 'sold-out'. They are one of the hardest working and hardest touring bands I've come across and the music they write is sincere and well-crafted just like Gaslight. That's why I love both of these bands so much because the songwriting actually means something unlike a lot of the mediocre crap in the charts these days. I also don't see why it should be a crime for an artist to want to be successful and stay relevant as after all if you don't stay relevant you fade away pretty quick in the music industry. I think a lot of people just can't accept that the Goo Goo Dolls sound has changed and adapted over time as is pretty much inevitable with every band. I think it would be pretty boring if every record they did sounded like A Boy Named Goo or Dizzy Up The Girl.

Phew...rant over I just wish people would stop knocking the Goo Goo Dolls and give them some credit for a change as I believe they are a genuinely great band who deserve success particularly over here in the UK where they are less known.
Back to top Go down
B701
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 8:04 pm

Kind of mixed feelings.

On the one hand, I'm happy for the guys to be recognized for their fine work thus far, they certainly deserve it. Also, I don't begrudge them for trying to make money, because, after all it is still a job for them and they should be compensated for it.

Also, having met some of them a few times (most recently this past weekend), as individuals I don't think this will change them, as they are normal down to earth guys who know their roots.

On the other hand, for selfish reasons which I'm sure most here will relate to, it's going to suck to see the mainstream, generic, rock fans pick up on these guys. Nothing against the band in that regard, but for us fans who have been with them from pretty much the beginning, it kind of feels like a part of us will be lost once the influx of new fans discovers this "new, awesome band, The Gaslight Anthem", of which we've known about for years. Again, though, these guys deserve all the accolades sent their way.

Bottom line, I'm happy for the band, and I don't think this will change the way they make music, with all of their heart and soul. My hope, they fulfill this contract (x number of albums, or x number of years, whichever it is) and them come back and create their own label.

And as someone else mentioned, I can't wait to see what the "up the punx" at Punknews.org have to say about this. I'm sure it won't be pretty.
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 8:25 pm

Honestly I was afraid to read the thread but I'm relieved now that there are hardly ans sellout shouts. I think they deserve to have the best opportunities they can get and if that means signing to a major label - it's no big deal.

Steady said it right: with their age and experience they know what they are doing and what they are signing.

And I am very thankful for what S1D did to bring TGA to the place they are now. I just think at some stage an indie label doesn't have the ressources to handle that all. So to me it looks like a really smart move!
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 8:29 pm

Gaslight Anthem is such a hard working band and I think they deserve more than what they have.
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 8:48 pm

This announcement has had little effect on me , all i am going to judge them on is their music anyway. It seemed like on the last album video releases etc were not that well timed and they were not regularly on the radio or music video channels such as kerrang, this could be due to budget restraints of SideOne Dummy who i think would have Gaslight back any day if it did not work out with Mercury. I think they will play similar venues as they did last year in the UK unless they have some kind of Kings of Leon style breakthrough. Not much to worry about i don't think but lets wait and see.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 9:14 pm

Not surprised by this...Brian always had good things to say about Side one but I have talked to few bands who are currently on Side One and they have mixed feelings about the label.

As for the Horrible Crowes....anyone think that maybe Side One agreed to put it out hoping that it might help convince TGA to stay with them longer....just something to think about.
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 9:21 pm

Quote :
As for the Horrible Crowes....anyone think that maybe Side One agreed to put it out hoping that it might help convince TGA to stay with them longer....just something to think about.

That's alitle too conspiracy esc, maybe but I highly doubt that. Side one just knows great music
Back to top Go down
ksupilot
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 9:31 pm

Happy for them! Just glad I got to see them at Asbury Lanes when I had the chance.

Now that Gaslight has gone to a major, all three of my favorite bands have had a shot at it, Less Than Jake, Against Me!, and now Gaslight. Hopefully their stay goes better than the other two...then again, LTJ and AM! were both on Sire, and coincidentally had similar issues with the label.
Back to top Go down
bt211
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 9:47 pm

I remember mention somewhere that Brian said he was hoping they'd be recording the next record in Nashville. It may have been in one of the Horrible Crowes interviews talking about what's next for TGA. Maybe that all goes together.
Back to top Go down
spgilbert
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2011 9:52 pm

i'm glad they'll be making more money. as long as they don't start sucking, i'll be happy.

also, i hate the goo goo dolls now. 'jed' and 'a boy named goo' are still two of my all time favorite records. but from 'dizzy up the girl' and on, i have hated them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records   The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Gaslight Anthem have signed with Mercury Records
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next