DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gaslight Anthem's Brian Fallon Looks Inward With The Horrible Crowes

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
LuceroDiehard
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
LuceroDiehard

Gaslight Anthem's Brian Fallon Looks Inward With The Horrible Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Gaslight Anthem's Brian Fallon Looks Inward With The Horrible Crowes   Gaslight Anthem's Brian Fallon Looks Inward With The Horrible Crowes Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 3:43 pm

Source: http://www.billboard.com/news/gaslight-anthem-s-brian-fallon-looks-inward-1005345612.story#/news/gaslight-anthem-s-brian-fallon-looks-inward-1005345612.story

"I needed to write these songs so that I could carry on as a person on my own and function," explains Gaslight Anthem frontman Brian Fallon of his new project, the Horrible Crowes. "With 'Elsie' [the Horrible Crowes' debut album], we wanted to find out what else is there -- what else are we capable of.

More intimate and haunting than his previous work, Fallon's collaboration with friend and Gaslight Anthem guitar tech Ian Perkins sounds confident in its vulnerability. While the Gaslight Anthem sticks mainly to the classic guitar-bass-drums formula to create loud, soulful American rock laced with punk and hardcore energy, "Elsie," released Sept. 6, finds Fallon and Perkins exploring more diverse sonic arrangements and new songwriting forms. "The Gaslight Anthem is very streamlined," Fallon admits. "We don't usually use organs and strings and things like that. We wanted to separate what we were doing [in Gaslight Anthem] to something new and something that we could experiment with."

Perkins and Fallon aren't shy about their sweeping musical influences, and aren't afraid to admit their more hardcore punk roots presented a challenge with the Horrible Crowes. "I never got a chance to do Tom Waits or PJ Harvey kind of stuff in the Gaslight Anthem," Fallon explains, also citing The Afghan Whigs' album "Black Love" and Elvis Costello's 1977 single "Watching The Detectives" as major inspirations. "That takes a certain amount of finesse that maybe a rock band doesn't have, so we had to learn all that finesse [for Horrible Crowes], which was difficult."
Back to top Go down
http://bobbyw24.tumblr.com/archive
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

Gaslight Anthem's Brian Fallon Looks Inward With The Horrible Crowes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaslight Anthem's Brian Fallon Looks Inward With The Horrible Crowes   Gaslight Anthem's Brian Fallon Looks Inward With The Horrible Crowes Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 4:21 pm

Thats only like a quarter of the article. Key highlights from the rest

Quote :
"The record is about three relationships that I had -- one when I was 18, one when I was 19 or 20, and my current one now," Fallon says. "[They] ended up causing me a lot of grief and a lot of sorrow from the process of living through [them] but it felt like big rock songs weren't the right way to do it. I think that this record taught me how to write more personally and not necessarily use stories. It was just me trying to work out my own stuff from my head."

Quote :
I'm a lucky boy, that's what I think," Perkins confesses. Although Fallon is quick to remind him that this is equally their project, Perkins remains understated. "I'm helping him out doing his thing, and I'm just focused on doing that. I never thought I'd have the opportunity to do [this], especially a record that I would listen to [myself]."

Quote :
As for the Gaslight Anthem, Fallon confirmed that they're currently recording new material. "We're making demos and our goal is 25 of them, and we've got 10. The songs that are fast, they're a lot faster. It's definitely pretty personal and pretty aggressive right now. I'm really happy with it so far."
Back to top Go down

Gaslight Anthem's Brian Fallon Looks Inward With The Horrible Crowes
Page 1 of 1