DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

If "blank" left TGA

Go down 
+9
Gaslight23
Harbortown
StopAndSlideToTheRight
spgilbert
J.B.R.
IKeeptheDiner
Phil Rockabill
RobertODonnell
Debonair
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

If "blank" left  TGA Empty
PostSubject: If "blank" left TGA   If "blank" left  TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 11:39 am

I thought of this mainly due to the (relatively) recent departure of john frusciante from the red hot chili peppers.
People are giveing shit over the new guitarist, some say they should break up ect. and its just caused a major rift between fans of the band

So it got me thinking if a member of gaslight left, would you still listen to them or be furious and angry like the rhcp fans

And obviously you can't really pick Brian to leave because the band would be over since he's main vocals, song writer- but hey if you can give a good argument, go for it, I like a good debate

This was just ment as a discussion topic, kind of a what if, I am in no way saying one member sucks and they should leave (for example maybe they decide they just don't want to be in the band anymore)

And please respect other ideas or beliefs, this is ment for discussion not cursing
Back to top Go down
RobertODonnell
Wooderson
Wooderson
RobertODonnell

PostSubject: Re: If "blank" left TGA   If "blank" left  TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 11:57 am

If Alex L. left, they would have to find a new "the quiet one." Wink

But seriously, I think any bandmember leaving would be a potentially dramatic change in the way the band sounds. And I don't really see it happening, since all outward appearances seem to show that they work extremely well together.
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: If "blank" left TGA   If "blank" left  TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 12:04 pm

Quote :
, since all outward appearances seem to show that they work extremely well together.

Agreed, I don't think it would happen, (I hope it wouldn't), mainly how the rhcp fans are acting really stood out,
the same thing happened when Brett reed left rancid(and Tim Armstrong said in a interview around 2000 they would break up if someone left)

So I'm just wondering how people would react, if they would still listen ect

No hate at TGA hope they last forever
Back to top Go down
Phil Rockabill
A Contender
A Contender
Phil Rockabill

PostSubject: Re: If "blank" left TGA   If "blank" left  TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 12:28 pm

One thing i know is that i'll follow Brian's work for sure in the future. Would you all follow other Gaslight members musical career if the band breaks up? Personnaly, probably not.

So to answer your question, i would still follow Gaslight if any of the members would quit besides Brian. I think Gaslight wouldn't survive if Brian would left anyway.

Brian is Gaslight Anthem imo. Just like Mike Ness is Social Distortion.

Btw, interresting thread! king
Back to top Go down
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
IKeeptheDiner

PostSubject: Re: If "blank" left TGA   If "blank" left  TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 1:03 pm

It would all depends on what terms the member left on and what the future plans were.
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: If "blank" left TGA   If "blank" left  TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 1:12 pm

Quote :
It would all depends on what terms the member left on and what the future plans were.

Aw that's kinda boring- jk, elaberate, its a discussion Razz

Quote :
Would you all follow other Gaslight members musical career if the band breaks up? Personnaly, probably not.

Yeah I sorta agree, I don't really like their current side projects (Spiro Agnew, and the new one benny just started) their too heavy, metally, not really a fan of that type, but I respect people who are
Back to top Go down
J.B.R.
A Contender
A Contender
J.B.R.

PostSubject: Re: If "blank" left TGA   If "blank" left  TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 1:28 pm

Frusciante is a guitar God (imo) and I think Anthony is the weakest link in RHCP.

that being said, I wouldn't miss Alex if he left and they got someone who can actually sing. I forget what concert it was that I was watching on Palladia but his screaming/singing was unbearable.
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: If "blank" left TGA   If "blank" left  TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 1:35 pm

Gaslight anthem with frusciante Question hahaha weird thought
Back to top Go down
J.B.R.
A Contender
A Contender
J.B.R.

PostSubject: Re: If "blank" left TGA   If "blank" left  TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 1:42 pm

not only his guitar playing but with his falsetto backup omg
Back to top Go down
spgilbert
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: If "blank" left TGA   If "blank" left  TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 1:50 pm

If anybody or everybody but Brian quit from TGA, I would still totally listen. If they all quit and he changed the name to something else, I would still listen. If Brian quit and they kept trying to put out albums without him? No way.
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

PostSubject: Re: If "blank" left TGA   If "blank" left  TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 2:19 pm

I think that although Levine is subtle, he does a lot to shape their sound. Imagine someone like Flea replacing him. It just wouldn't work.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: If "blank" left TGA   If "blank" left  TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 2:59 pm

Alex Levine is probably my favorite member simply based on how fucking badass he looks. Always reppin' that white t-shirt and greasy hairdo like a boss.

Obviously Brian Fallon is the only truly significant member but I wouldn't want any of them replaced. I'm just crossing my fingers that their next record will have a production focusing more heavily on rhythm guitar.
Back to top Go down
Gaslight23
Wooderson
Wooderson
Gaslight23

PostSubject: Re: If "blank" left TGA   If "blank" left  TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 5:44 pm

I think if any of them were to leave it would be hard to see them as TGA as they have built the image of the band and I feel they all contribute significantly to the sound
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: If "blank" left TGA   If "blank" left  TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 5:52 pm

Brian couldn't make it before joining up with the three others. I don't see what would make him a success without them in the future either.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: If "blank" left TGA   If "blank" left  TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 5:55 pm

Daire wrote:
Brian couldn't make it before joining up with the three others. I don't see what would make him a success without them in the future either.
If "blank" left  TGA The%20Horrible%20Crowes%200811%202

I beg your pardon?
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: If "blank" left TGA   If "blank" left  TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 6:04 pm

Daire wrote:

well, that already got answered the Elsie way; however, Daire has a point in that the Gaslight Anthem only happened because of the contribution the four of them made, not least, in my opinion, Benny, whose drumming gave it an edge that This Charming Man was certainly missing, just a Alex's guitar playing is quite distinct
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
I am Incinerator
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: If "blank" left TGA   If "blank" left  TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 6:30 pm

I think Brian is a HUGE part of Gaslight, in the sound, vibe, and as ignorant as this may sound, their success so far (all of this is my personal opinion, so take with a grain of salt if you disagree). I feel like if Brian were to leave and the rest trucked on as Gaslight (think about it, Peter Green founded Fleetwood Mac, he left and the rest trucked on...and are still trucking on). I think it would be Brian who I would follow.

Speaking of big time band splits. I was stoked to see that Liam Gallagher and the rest of Oasis came together as Beady Eye. When their album came out, I got it, and after one full listen, I was severely disappointed. Here I thought Andy Bell on guitar (hello!!! the band Ride), and maybe Gem Archer would contribute some tunesmith skills, I dug Heavy Stereo. Nope, none of that was apparent. Noel Gallagher was the spark in that band IMO.
Back to top Go down
Blue_Collar_Man
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Blue_Collar_Man

PostSubject: Re: If "blank" left TGA   If "blank" left  TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 6:52 pm

I agree, Elsie is proof that other success can be made, loose from the rest.

However, if you look at GTA and the success the band has. Brian mentioned last week in an interview their succes came on 3yrs time, and they (band, label, managers, marketing etc) forecasted it on 5 years.

You can only achieve this, I think, if you have a very good combination of elements/talents.

Brian has all the charisma an solid frontman needs. He's got it all, still keeps it soul and punk. He still forgets lyrics sometimes, plays the wrong chord and his voice sometimes needs warmup during a show.
I have never known Springsteen, Vedder, Grohl taking such a young fresh guy under their wing... That's gotta mean something.

The other members seem replace-able at first sight. Levine is subtle indeed though, Alexes guitar sections... very simple, clever and Benny, he's punk....

And that is what we love about them: they're real, still fresh and ever so talented, bringing us a sound that got lost for so long. Replacing one... not the same combo...

Playing songs on festivals, being on line-ups between 30 seconds to Mars, Foo, etc... this early....in the middle of the really mainstream stuff....
That's gotta mean you have earned it (already and while still being punk and sometimes hitting the wrong notes)...
Other bands are more technical and never ever reach what GTA reached this far.

A part of the original magic leaves together when someone leaves a band.... but look at Depeche Mode and what they reached without Alan Wilder...
But Martin Gore (Alex) and Dave Gahan (Brian) are a match in DM...

If the core stays, things sometimes even get better. (and i'm not saying it's no good at this moment, not all).

I'm soo happy I found GTA, it did so much for me and I have been listening to their records, sessions and concerts for 2 years non stop.
I will follow good stuff, drop bad stuff if it's released. No matter who in the band.
However, I believe Brian is the core though of the band.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If "blank" left TGA   If "blank" left  TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 8:49 pm

I would agree that Brian is the core since he's the main songwriter, but everyone else has their place, too. I think Gaslight would sound very different without Alex R's leads. His leads are very melodic and always help push the song up to a new level. That's what I look for in any lead guitarist when I'm first listening to a band; wheather or not their parts serve the song, or if they just serve the players ego.
Next, I think Benny is an amazing drummer, and brings a great energy and personalitly to the band. Alex L keeps things simple which is fine, but I think it would be more interesting to hear him branch out a little more. Play bass lines and follow the drums more instead of just sticking to whatever notes Brian's playing. I love bass players that follow the drums. However, I also completely agree with this:

StopAndSlideToTheRight wrote:
I think that although Levine is subtle, he does a lot to shape their sound. Imagine someone like Flea replacing him. It just wouldn't work.

I also agree with those who said that background vocals need work. I don't think Alex R, or Alex L do very well here. But, hopefully they will get better with time. All that being said, I would be upset if any member of Gaslight left. I think they have a great dynamic, and all seem like very genuine people. I think in the future this is one band that no matter what happenes, I will continue to listen and at the very least check out all of their side projects.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If "blank" left TGA   If "blank" left  TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 8:59 pm

Comparing this to RHCP....RHCP were a band before Frusciante joined em. He was never a founding member, yes he was a key part of the band but the Chili Peppers had been around for 5-6 years before he joined the band. so it makes sense why they kept on going on after he decided to leave.
RHCP is all about Flea and Anthony, yeah even tho people think Anthony is the weakest member in the band, he is one who writes all the lyrics and basically makes the band fun to listen to.

The situation with TGA would be different because all the members currently are founding members. If you are looking at what each member contributes then I saw Alex L. would be the easiest replaceable members...you can't hear or feel his bass in many songs, he barely does interviews so only the hardcore fans would notice him leaving.
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: If "blank" left TGA   If "blank" left  TGA Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 11:27 pm

Quote :
Comparing this to RHCP

I was simply saying that the rhcp fan rift crisis thing going on got me wondering, if a member of gaslight left how would people feel and or react, I wasn't trying to compare gaslight to rhcp, it just gave me the idea for this topic.

Like would people freak out like they did, or would they be OK with it

So to clarify I'm not saying gaslight fans would/should freak out like rhcp fans because of similar reason, or have the same reason to react a certain way as rhcp fans

I wanted to hear how gaslight fans would feel about a leaving member from their own personal reasons and being a fan, weather they might freak out or ect.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If "blank" left TGA   If "blank" left  TGA Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

If "blank" left TGA
Page 1 of 1