DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

3 least favorite gaslight songs

Go down 
+36
Stalls_Standing
steph
Yozzy
Casanova
Gaslight23
thecoolisdead
The Angry Johnny Revue
J_Schooly
Reinvent good times
chickenman
luckyman
Jack
Joe Jack
MKULTRA
carryon820
TGAFAN25
simo
Kosburn59
AngryJohnnyN1930
colmillionaire
CluckyB
Templeton
steady now steady now
nebraska
Ryan
StopAndSlideToTheRight
Daire
loazis
mingus
Harbortown
Holland
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
IAmDisappeared
vamike
RobertODonnell
thebiglebowski
40 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

3 least favorite gaslight songs - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 least favorite gaslight songs   3 least favorite gaslight songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 8:36 pm

sandyangryjohnnyormary? wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
Why is American Slang mentioned so often?

It's one of their best songs.

I know! That song is fantastic. Sink or Swim is way overrated here. I said it.
I completely agree. We should form an alliance.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: 3 least favorite gaslight songs   3 least favorite gaslight songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 8:53 pm

AngryJohnnyN1930 wrote:
Whoa Old Haunt hate?! (I say 'hate' very loosely) I'm surprised, thats one of my favs.... lol

its just comparatively boring. Doesnt have the same catchy riffs and upbeatness as the good punk inspired stuff or the amazing cooing and lryic found in the likes of wdiwwwy or blue jeans and white tshirts
Back to top Go down
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
A Contender
A Contender
sandyangryjohnnyormary?

PostSubject: Re: 3 least favorite gaslight songs   3 least favorite gaslight songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Harbortown wrote:

Alliance created cheers I need to know that Cowgirls isn't in your bottom 3 though. That would be a deal breaker.
Back to top Go down
Kosburn59
Wooderson
Wooderson
Kosburn59

PostSubject: Re: 3 least favorite gaslight songs   3 least favorite gaslight songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 10:21 pm

Man, there are tons of River's Edge haters on here. lol. I know that that's probably the most popular song to get the lyrics tattooed and whatever, but it's so beautiful! Definitely in my top three!

1. Old Haunts, definitely my least favorite. But duh, still good, just has no significance to me as much as most of the others.

2. We Did It When We Were Young. Same reason as Old Haunts, but the mix is awesome for how it just build and builds the further it goes.

3. Songs For Teenagers (Although it technically shouldn't count, but I'm almost ecstatic about the rest of their work). I'm not a big fan of the mix, or Brian's sustained vocals. Definitely prefer the original over theirs...
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: 3 least favorite gaslight songs   3 least favorite gaslight songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 12:06 am

Man I couldn't pick. Some of the songs from American Slang maybe...but I still love them. Like, even if I were to put Old Haunts or American Slang in the bottom 3, that doesn't really mean much because I still listen to them a ton and play covers of them. But it just speaks to the strength of the band that there are no obvious picks for worst songs.
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: 3 least favorite gaslight songs   3 least favorite gaslight songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 3:38 am

May have posted on this before...

We're getting a divorce....
Boomboxes....
Stay Lucky.....
Back to top Go down
carryon820
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 3 least favorite gaslight songs   3 least favorite gaslight songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 5:04 am

I know others have mentioned this, but I too feel the need to stress that just because these songs are considered my least favorite amongst TGA.......certainly that does not qualify them as "bad songs" or anything like that........if anything, these songs demonstrate how solid and consistent the rest of TGA's music is.

Anyway, my 3 least favorite TGA songs (in order with # 1 being my least favorite song) consists of:

1. "Red In the Morning"
2. "The Diamond Church Street Choir" (I'm sure I'll be alone on this one, at least on this forum)
3. and there's probably a tie between "Angry Johnny and the Radio" and "The Patient Ferris Wheel"
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: 3 least favorite gaslight songs   3 least favorite gaslight songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 5:15 am

Red in the Morning
Boxer
Meet Me by the River's Edge- i really have no problem with this song but i had to pick a third song.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: 3 least favorite gaslight songs   3 least favorite gaslight songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 5:25 am

Harbortown wrote:
Harbortown wrote:

Alliance created cheers I need to know that Cowgirls isn't in your bottom 3 though. That would be a deal breaker.
Cowgirls is another one of my favorite songs, no deal breaker here.
Back to top Go down
Joe Jack
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Joe Jack

PostSubject: Re: 3 least favorite gaslight songs   3 least favorite gaslight songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 10:33 am

I don't know how backseat or river's edge make it into anyone's bottom three..those are both possibly in my top three on the 59 Sound. If I had to choose:
1. Cowgirls (although I like it a bit more every time I hear it)
2. Stay Lucky
3. Miles Davis
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: 3 least favorite gaslight songs   3 least favorite gaslight songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 11:15 am

To me there are only two songs (originals) that deserve to be in a list like this:

1) American Slang - to me, doesn't sound as inspired as other Gaslight songs.
2) Red In The Morning - melody is so-so, lyrics are below Brian's standards, and it generally sounds like a bunch of 15 year olds bashing away at their instruments.

That being said, I still really like those two songs. And I'm shocked to see things like Divorce, Patient Ferris Wheel, Angry Johnny, and TDCSC making these lists. What's next, Casanova Baby! and 1930?
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: 3 least favorite gaslight songs   3 least favorite gaslight songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 11:17 am

I am struggling hard not to apply the 'ban' option to some of you guys Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: 3 least favorite gaslight songs   3 least favorite gaslight songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 2:25 pm

Putting time and energy into the psychoanalysis that i would need to undertake to pick my 3 least favourite Gaslight songs is something i cannot be bothered doing.
Back to top Go down
luckyman
A Contender
A Contender
luckyman

PostSubject: Re: 3 least favorite gaslight songs   3 least favorite gaslight songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 3:33 pm

The only song i can honestly say i skip past is

Say I Won't (Recognize)
Back to top Go down
thebiglebowski
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 3 least favorite gaslight songs   3 least favorite gaslight songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 3:55 pm

luckyman wrote:
The only song i can honestly say i skip past is

Say I Won't (Recognize)

wow
Back to top Go down
chickenman
A Contender
A Contender
chickenman

PostSubject: Re: 3 least favorite gaslight songs   3 least favorite gaslight songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 6:31 pm

Boomboxes And Dictionaries
Red In The Morning
Orphans

As for all the votes American Slang gets, I assume everybody refers to the original version? It might be just me, but Brian's acoustic rendition is so much better than the fullband version. Me, I like both, but the acoustic version is the only one I listen to. I think I started a thread about preferring the acoustic version in here earlier as well.
Back to top Go down
AngryJohnnyN1930
A Contender
A Contender
AngryJohnnyN1930

PostSubject: Re: 3 least favorite gaslight songs   3 least favorite gaslight songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 7:53 pm

CluckyB wrote:
AngryJohnnyN1930 wrote:
Whoa Old Haunt hate?! (I say 'hate' very loosely) I'm surprised, thats one of my favs.... lol

its just comparatively boring. Doesnt have the same catchy riffs and upbeatness as the good punk inspired stuff or the amazing cooing and lryic found in the likes of wdiwwwy or blue jeans and white tshirts

Although I absolutely love "Young" and "Jeans," I literally think the opposite of everything you think about Haunts Razz
I guess I got El Jefe Design in my corner because of that sick poster of Haunts that just came out! At least I ain't ALONE! lol

But hey, to each his/her own.
Back to top Go down
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
A Contender
A Contender
sandyangryjohnnyormary?

PostSubject: Re: 3 least favorite gaslight songs   3 least favorite gaslight songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 9:46 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
Harbortown wrote:

Cowgirls is another one of my favorite songs, no deal breaker here.

I like your taste sir
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: 3 least favorite gaslight songs   3 least favorite gaslight songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 10:29 pm

Boomboxes might slide into my third slot just because the song builds and builds and then borrows too heavily from Sink, Florida, Sink (IMO). The payoff's not original enough.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Reinvent good times
A Contender
A Contender
Reinvent good times

PostSubject: Re: 3 least favorite gaslight songs   3 least favorite gaslight songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 11:18 am

I can't believe Angry Johnny is a least favorite! That's crazy. And Rivers Edge too?

Different opinions make the world go round....At least we haven't seen a 1930 sighting on this topic!

Here I go:
1. Even Cowgirls
2. Old Haunts
3. I'da called you Woody, Joe. ( I may get hammered for that selection)
Back to top Go down
J_Schooly
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 3 least favorite gaslight songs   3 least favorite gaslight songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 12:38 pm

1. Red in the Morning: Can't stand Brian's vocal delivery to open the song; the rest ain't so bad
2. Once Upon A Time: Their typically impeccable cover selection process failed them here
3. WDIWWWY: Overly dramatic; tries too hard to make a big statement at the end of the record

Dishonorable mention:
Diner
Back to top Go down
chickenman
A Contender
A Contender
chickenman

PostSubject: Re: 3 least favorite gaslight songs   3 least favorite gaslight songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 1:06 pm

Reinvent good times wrote:
I can't believe Angry Johnny is a least favorite! That's crazy. And Rivers Edge too?

Different opinions make the world go round....At least we haven't seen a 1930 sighting on this topic!

Here I go:
1. Even Cowgirls
2. Old Haunts

While I am very surprised to see Angry Johnny and River's Edge mentioned here too, I certainly don't agree with your list either.

I don't understand why Old Hanuts get several votes in here, I like that
catchy opening riff, I actually prefer Old Haunts over Orphans, Boxer,
Bring It On and We Did It...

Cowgirls, I can understand, seeing as it is the odd-ball song of their
best record. But to me that song adds alot to the album just because it
is, well... diffrent. And live I think Cowgirls is even better. But like
I said, I can understand how some may not like it.

But.... One man's coffee is another man's tea, or like a friend of mine say it, one man's Chardonnay is another man's Chablis. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: 3 least favorite gaslight songs   3 least favorite gaslight songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 3:44 pm

What's with all the cowgirls hate? That song is what makes TGA for me.

1. Casanova Baby
2. Chelsea
3. American Slang
4. Ferris Wheel

Don't hate them abut find them distinctly average compared to all the other songs and don't tend to listen to them unless I've got the whole album on shuffle on my ipod.
Back to top Go down
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
A Contender
A Contender
sandyangryjohnnyormary?

PostSubject: Re: 3 least favorite gaslight songs   3 least favorite gaslight songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 6:34 pm

chickenman wrote:
Reinvent good times wrote:

Here I go:
1. Even Cowgirls
2. Old Haunts

While I am very surprised to see Angry Johnny and River's Edge mentioned here too, I certainly don't agree with your list either.

I don't understand why Old Hanuts get several votes in here, I like that
catchy opening riff, I actually prefer Old Haunts over Orphans, Boxer,
Bring It On and We Did It...

Cowgirls, I can understand, seeing as it is the odd-ball song of their
best record. But to me that song adds alot to the album just because it
is, well... diffrent. And live I think Cowgirls is even better. But like
I said, I can understand how some may not like it.

But.... One man's coffee is another man's tea, or like a friend of mine say it, one man's Chardonnay is another man's Chablis. Very Happy

I totally agree with that about Cowgirls. It's not my favorite song on the 59 sound, but it makes the album for me. Just breaks up all the punky four chord strummers with something totally different, but equally awesome.
Back to top Go down
AngryJohnnyN1930
A Contender
A Contender
AngryJohnnyN1930

PostSubject: Re: 3 least favorite gaslight songs   3 least favorite gaslight songs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 8:50 pm

Ya'll may say this and that are you least favorites TGA tunes....
"But not me, pretty baby" ;D
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3 least favorite gaslight songs   3 least favorite gaslight songs - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

3 least favorite gaslight songs
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next