DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

the book corner

Go down 
+42
A_Regular
DeathoftheCool
StitchesOnTheRadio
redheadchick
sickgirl
plugga
ThisMachineKillsFascists
simo
HorribleCrowe
Debonair
steph
loazis
Harbortown
IrishNameAndAnInjury
JimmyB
Camus
redd
KittyKat
I Came To Dance
massie1903
Emyr
Deeper Shade of Blue
Mandacarallo!
stupendoussven
andy.mac
tigrr13
ktp
Vibes
steady now steady now
dolan
kieran
Refused
Jukebox Romeo
Stalls_Standing
e7c
isthisreal
hostutca
Breanne
ambrose
billy pilgrim
liveit
Forum Owner
46 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Refused
A Contender
A Contender
Refused

the book corner - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 6:24 pm

I've read both of those, the survival guide really did get a bit in-depth at points though! Haha.
Aparently World War Z may be getting made into a film at some point.
Back to top Go down
http://acriddissonance.wordpress.com
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: The last book you read was ...   the book corner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 7:16 pm

As part of the TGA feature in the new Rock Sound magazine (see elsewhere on this board), each of the guys answers the question 'The last book you read was?'

Brian: 'The Problem of Pain' by C.S. Lewis
Benny: 'Slam' by Nick Hornby
Alex L.: 'Redemption Song - The Ballad of Joe Strummer' by Chris Salewicz
Alex R.: 'Double Duce' by Aaron Cometbus

So what was the last book YOU read (and if you're embarrassed by that silly thriller you slipped in, then don't mention it ...)?

Here's mine: 'The Genius of Shakespeare' by Jonathan Bate (but prior to that I read 'The Magicians' Guild' by Tudi Cavanan).

Last edited by steady now steady now on Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 4:58 am

oke

last book i finished is "der schwarm" by frank schätzing ( i read it 3 times)

currently reading:
"ich und die anderen" by matt ruff (awesome book bout two people having multiple personalities)
"das totenbuch der tibeter" autor not known (some philosophic book about what people in tibet think bout death and reincarnation)
"schule ist was für versager" by paul halpern (book discussing all the scientific issues mentioned in "the simpsons")
and once again, my favourite book: "to kill a mockingbirg" by harper lee
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 1:56 pm

The last book I read was The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell. It was a spectacular book. I'd highly recommend it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
ktp
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ktp

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 6:21 pm

i'm affraid to say i'm hooked on the twlight series at the moment! how girly can you get?!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ktpland.blogspot.com
tigrr13
A Contender
A Contender
tigrr13

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 6:55 pm

nothing wrong with being girly!

i'm on book 7 of the southern vampire series by charlaine harris... the ones the hbo series true blood is based on
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 6:56 pm

I'm afraid with University work I don't get chance to read that may books of my own choosing these days. The last book I read was probably an academic one!
Back to top Go down
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 7:14 am

The last book I read was Microeconomics: A Modern Approach.

Had my exam for that today and am glad to say that reading it once was more than enough.

Probably gonna get a Jim Morrison or Joe Stummer/Clash biography for the holidays.
Back to top Go down
Refused
A Contender
A Contender
Refused

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 3:25 pm

Just finished Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. It was recommended to me because I love 1984 so much, I enjoyed Brave New World but not quite as much!
I'm currently reading a book of music journalist Mick Wall's best articles from the 80s/90s. There's some pretty cool stuff in it.
Back to top Go down
http://acriddissonance.wordpress.com
hostutca
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 5:47 pm

Just finished Long Way Down by Nick Hornby... Look's like Benny and I have similar taste!

Starting Miles by Miles Davis as soon as it arrives from amazon.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/cnotemu
stupendoussven
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
stupendoussven

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 11:50 pm

Finished Tippecanoe and Tyler Too: Famous Slogans and Catchphrases in American History by Jan R. Van Meter. Awesome book if you are in to American history. Alas, the worst part of a good book is when it ends, I am trying to find a new one to engross myself in
Back to top Go down
http://sirsvenjensen.tumblr.com
Mandacarallo!
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Mandacarallo!

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 3:07 pm

at the moment i read "el impero del sol" ("Empire of the sun") a book of J.G. Ballard... its about a british boy living with his parents in shanghai, becomin a pow in a japanese internm. camp during ww2.. besides i like Nick nornby very much.. easy reading (for non native englsih speaker Smile) and funny .. ("High Fidelity".. like the movie aswell.)

@dolan/refused
this World War Z sounds good, i just read a summary of it.. i m going to check that out, i m a zombie fan.
you guys play/played left 4 dead?
Back to top Go down
Mandacarallo!
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Mandacarallo!

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 3:18 pm

hostutca wrote:
Just finished Long Way Down by Nick Hornby... Look's like Benny and I have similar taste!

Starting Miles by Miles Davis as soon as it arrives from amazon.

hey, i it was not the last book i read but i read it a secound time a few weeks ago...
odd question but who was ur fav. character or you loved reading the most?
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 3:22 pm

Tomaldo wrote:
I'm afraid with University work I don't get chance to read that may books of my own choosing these days. The last book I read was probably an academic one!

Likewise I think mine was Geopolitical reader which I still have to pay a massive fine on.

Last book of my choosing was Shock doctrine by Naomi Kline real interesting look into the flaws of the global capitalist system.
Back to top Go down
Deeper Shade of Blue
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Deeper Shade of Blue

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 6:06 pm

Generation Kill by Evan Wright - excellent - got hooked on the TV series when in the States last year and this is even better.

Now re-reading Cancer Ward by Solzhenitsyn
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 4:45 pm

kieran wrote:
I still have to pay a massive fine on.

This sounds familiar....
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 5:08 pm

I just finished Blink by Gladwell, now I'm reading On The Road by Kerouac
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
Emyr
A Contender
A Contender
Emyr

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 7:01 am

I'm currently reading Gai Jin by James Clavell, it's taken me a while to get into it - nearly up to page 500 and it has about 1200! Probably my longest book.

Before that I read Tai Pan, also by James Clavell, which was brilliant.

Anyone else like Clavell?
I'm enjoying books set in Japan and China at the moment.
Back to top Go down
http://emmaprew.blogspot.com
massie1903
A Contender
A Contender
massie1903

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 5:26 pm

Watchmen.

Fantastic graphic novel.
Back to top Go down
I Came To Dance
A Contender
A Contender
I Came To Dance

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 5:32 pm

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut.
Back to top Go down
KittyKat
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
KittyKat

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 3:42 pm

EMPIRE magazine..Inglourious Basterds edition Wink
Back to top Go down
redd
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
redd

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 4:17 am

so many of you are teenagers, and youre reading what i was reading at your age. (i'm like a thousand). which is killer. i love it.

im reading
Stiff- by Mary Roach (subtitled "The Curious Lives of Cadavers")
re-reading Erik Larson's The Devil in the White City
just finished Nick Cave's (yes, that nick cave) The Ass saw the Angel (wow, gorey and wierd and creative and awful and killer)
New Tom Waits Biography

always looking for new great stuff

in case you didn't know, Chuck Klosterman and Rick Bragg both have non-fiction coming out in Oct. these things matter.

edit: is anyone into The Band? Levon Helm's "This Wheel is on Fire" is pretty awesome. and if you're not into the Band, do yourslef a favor and check that shit out.
Back to top Go down
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 4:14 am

At the moment I'm reading Doctor Dealer by Mark Bowden.

It was recommended to me by a friend, who got me really excited about it, but it's kind of a let down. It's not really that exciting and author's writing style isn't that good (while it's readable, it feels rushed and I feel more depth is needed plus it kinda feels like he's writing for a movie screenplay).

It also didn't help that I had such high expectations on the recommendation of my friend. It sorta feels like a a book I would've really enjoyed a year or two ago. I guess I'll see how it goes as I read more but it's not looking too flash at this stage.

Next read is gonna be Marching Powder, I've already read it but it was totally bad ass, it deserves another read.
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: OFFICIAL Camus' Book Corner   the book corner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 2:52 pm

A place to talk about all things written!

What's your favourite book? Have you got any books to recommend to others? What are you reading right now?

I thought it would also be quite cool to have a book club of some sort, and then we (those who are interested) can discuss the book we've all just read.
/geek

Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:09 pm

I personally absolutely love The Stand by Stephen King. I recomend it for anyone who wishes to get into King's books.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the book corner   the book corner - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the book corner
Page 2 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next