DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Frank Turner

Go down 
+142
pleasepassthesoup
AngryRyan
Anya_TGA
sinkorswimmydear
jdc
redheadchick
visible_karma
barkjon
A_Regular
Christophe
33RPMHero
IAmDisappeared
HolyBreakOfDay
eagles1139
mitchard
cruzila
rumham
The Last Jukebox Romeo
UpLateAtNightAgain
Paula
CasanovaBaby90
Hanswurst
SevenThreeTwo
StitchesOnTheRadio
Shrewsbury_Stars
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
AineS
SubconsciousRitual
DeathoftheCool
Yozzy
DiamondSinatra
Paddy
Jables
holdsteady82
Tiffany
Álvaro
gking92
spgilbert
bobbyjames
kirstyt
njguy99
Klown
steph
_rebekka_
MKULTRA
Danieljsmith
Camus
nico0493
clezynski25
B701
Ryan!
I Came To Dance
westcountryeastcoast
Rizz
edzozo
Jerseyrain
LuceroDiehard
ifieverstray
mingus
born2run
Ghost
MxBx!
drifter69
The Boxer
Harbortown
BuddyHolly
riversedge
Templeton
enola
RockNRollOut
mercyandaminute
Kosburn59
carryon820
IKeeptheDiner
plugga
shuffle
madsmom
Rock bus
Gaslight23
Holland
Down by the Mersey
brianisbae
JJW319
Jaywalk
fullcollapse
Turn the Casanova On
hynesie
GraveRobbers
steady now steady now
brucesboots
NeverTrustAJunkie
Grant Michael
anarkistbavern
Bea
GaslightCeltic
Sinngh
Don Juan
sydney_carden
janet.
JoshRaymond
CluckyB
itszombietime
Ryan
massie1903
colmillionaire
Asleepontheforestfloor
bringiton
loazis
goldlion_
Jack
JadedGoober7
simo
Daire
Jay
Johnny99
PFREEZY
Shipyards
Scarlett
ktp
Prisoner
kieran
andy.mac
thecosmickid
thomas94
ral
noble_man
Deeper Shade of Blue
Vibes
Palmer89
vamike
Tiffiny
rhg5010
TonyRockyHorror
losethetragic
The Dude
Refused
Jukebox Romeo
faster_than_the_world@hot
Stalls_Standing
laurendelore
lhdez
isthisreal
146 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
AuthorMessage
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

Frank Turner - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Turner   Frank Turner - Page 38 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 2:59 am

WingsForWheels wrote:

for me, Frank Turner albums alternate chronologically between "good" and "great" albums. Sleep Is For The Week is good, Love Ire and Song is great, Poetry of the Deed is good, England Keep My Bones is great, and now Tape Deck Heart is good again. hopefully we get another great one next.

Cool insight. For me, I'd rank FT's albums
England Keep My Bones
Love Ire & Song
Poetry of the Deed / Tape Deck Heart (tie)
Sleep is for the Week
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: Frank Turner   Frank Turner - Page 38 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 3:09 am

DeathoftheCool wrote:
WingsForWheels wrote:

for me, Frank Turner albums alternate chronologically between "good" and "great" albums. Sleep Is For The Week is good, Love Ire and Song is great, Poetry of the Deed is good, England Keep My Bones is great, and now Tape Deck Heart is good again. hopefully we get another great one next.

Cool insight. For me, I'd rank FT's albums
England Keep My Bones
Love Ire & Song
Poetry of the Deed / Tape Deck Heart (tie)
Sleep is for the Week

looks about right to me!
Back to top Go down
HolyBreakOfDay
Wooderson
Wooderson
HolyBreakOfDay

PostSubject: Re: Frank Turner   Frank Turner - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 4:38 am

I don't know if you have already seens this but I don't think I don't think I saw this anywhere here:

Back to top Go down
http://rockthiswayforum.forumsactifs.com/forum
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
A Contender
A Contender
sandyangryjohnnyormary?

PostSubject: Re: Frank Turner   Frank Turner - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 11:54 pm

Haven't dug heavy into this enough to have a real opinion, but does anyone else think he might gain some radio traction with this? The first three songs sound pretty mainstream friendly (in a good way IMO). Of course, popular music confuses me to no end these days so what do I know. Recovery is just a great track.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Frank Turner   Frank Turner - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 12:06 am

It sure sounds like that's what he's going for, but I have no idea how those things work.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Frank Turner   Frank Turner - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 1:04 am

He is already getting major radio play in California.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Frank Turner   Frank Turner - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 3:40 am

oldgospelchoir wrote:
He is already getting major radio play in California.

Is they playing him on the alt rock stations like KROQ or live 105? if so that'd be pretty badass
Back to top Go down
IAmDisappeared
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
IAmDisappeared

PostSubject: Re: Frank Turner   Frank Turner - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 8:38 am

Don't think its his best.

Been a huge fan since the first EP, so I get no joy in being disappointed in this record. I'd rank it above Poetry of the Deed, but below everything else and a fair bit below EKMB.

My first problem is that a lot of the songs have been kicking about for over a year so most of the songs, especially the better ones sound like old songs already. I know that it was my decision to constantly listen to the live/acoustic/session versions on youtube but thats part of being a fan, I guess.

I'd say the best songs are Recovery, Plain Sailing Weather, Good & Gone, Tell Tale Signs & Polaroid Picture. The last 4 songs of TDH, Fisher King Blues, Anymore, Oh Brother or Broken Piano are 4 songs I get no enjoyment from. In the case of Broken Piano, I'm pretty sure I'll never listen to it again, it's kinda reminiscent of POTD where a lot of the later songs on the record were weak. There are 4 good songs in the bonus section in We Shall Not Overcome, Wherefore Art..., Time Machine & Cowboy Chords which imo would have made the album a much stronger one if they replaced the last 4 on the actual album.

It's fair to say this is the least "punk" record, it is very bland, fairly generic and overall a bit boring. It definitely feels like a more mellow & more mainstream Frank & very very different from classics like Vital Signs.

Overall, I suppose as a whole I like the album & would probably be raving about it if another artist put it out but I have such high exceptions and such a high opinion of FT i did expect more, I miss the songs with the attitude of I knew Prufrock..., Real Damage, Photosynthesis etc etc.
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Frank Turner   Frank Turner - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 12:57 pm

IAmDisappeared wrote:
It's fair to say this is the least "punk" record, it is very bland, fairly generic and overall a bit boring. It definitely feels like a more mellow & more mainstream Frank & very very different from classics like Vital Signs.

I do see where you're coming from on this statement, although I wouldn't call it boring.
'Broken Piano' i'm enjoying quite a lot by the way... I guess that's what opinions are for.
Back to top Go down
_rebekka_
A Contender
A Contender
_rebekka_

PostSubject: Re: Frank Turner   Frank Turner - Page 38 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 8:25 am

German tour dates:

05.09.2013 Dortmund, FZW
06.09.2013 Bremen, Schlachthof
08.09.2013 Berlin, Huxley’s
09.09.2013 Hamburg, Große Freiheit 36
10.09.2013 Hannover, Faust
11.09.2013 Wiesbaden, Schlachthof
12.09.2013 München, Backstage Werk
14.09.2013 Lindau, Club Vaudeville
19.09.2013 Stuttgart, Longhorn
20.09.2013 Köln, E-Werk

VVK: zwischen 18,- € und 22,-€ zzgl. Gebühren
Pre-Sale via Eventim: Freitag, 19. April, 9 Uhr
Genereller VVK-Start: Montag, 22. April, 9 Uhr
Back to top Go down
LuceroDiehard
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
LuceroDiehard

PostSubject: Re: Frank Turner   Frank Turner - Page 38 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 10:01 am

'Losing Days'

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/frank-turner-explores-times-passage-in-losing-days-20130418
Back to top Go down
http://bobbyw24.tumblr.com/archive
33RPMHero
Wooderson
Wooderson
33RPMHero

PostSubject: Re: Frank Turner   Frank Turner - Page 38 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 2:24 pm

The last two minutes of "Plain Sailing Weather" have to be the best two minutes of my life. This song really hits home.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: Frank Turner   Frank Turner - Page 38 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 3:41 pm

From the iTunes track previews Tape Deck Heart sounds pretty good overall. I have always just liked the odd song from Frank Turner but I think there are a few worth downloading on the new album.
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
A_Regular

PostSubject: Re: Frank Turner   Frank Turner - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 12:52 am

What a boring album
Back to top Go down
LuceroDiehard
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
LuceroDiehard

PostSubject: Re: Frank Turner   Frank Turner - Page 38 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 8:17 am

Back to top Go down
http://bobbyw24.tumblr.com/archive

PostSubject: Re: Frank Turner   Frank Turner - Page 38 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 12:42 pm

man I really really wanna love this as much as I love all his previous albums but I just can't get into most of the full band songs.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: Frank Turner   Frank Turner - Page 38 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 12:43 am

Still need to make up my mind about the rest of the album (after the first couple of listens, I agree it gets boring in parts), but the first four songs are pretty damn near perfect.

also we shall not overcome is awesomely catchy
Back to top Go down
33RPMHero
Wooderson
Wooderson
33RPMHero

PostSubject: Re: Frank Turner   Frank Turner - Page 38 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 1:40 pm

Besides one or two songs on this album I am loving it. I have to agree with CluckyB about the first four songs being near perfect. The Way I Tend to Be and Plain Sailing Weather are for sure my favorites.
Back to top Go down
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: Frank Turner   Frank Turner - Page 38 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 5:56 pm

anyone else watching the live-stream and thinking the B or e string is horrible out of tune?
can't listen o this - it hurts Crying or Very sad rabbit
Back to top Go down
Rock bus
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Frank Turner   Frank Turner - Page 38 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 6:38 pm

I think it's a really good album, although would perhaps just have dropped some of the tracks on the album and replaced with some of the bonus tracks

As an aside saw him last night in Birmingham and he was excellent
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Frank Turner   Frank Turner - Page 38 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 4:30 pm

Like bad sex or bad pizza, a "bad" Frank Turner album is still damn good.

I'll admit it doesn't have the edge of the last two, but the songwriting is still strong as is the overall musicality. Yeah, there are a few throw-away songs that don't strike me as well as others, but every album is going to have a couple of those.

I like it, though. Not his best work but still light-years ahead of what some others are doing.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: Frank Turner   Frank Turner - Page 38 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 5:01 pm

njguy99 wrote:
Like bad sex or bad pizza, a "bad" Frank Turner album is still damn good.

I'll admit it doesn't have the edge of the last two, but the songwriting is still strong as is the overall musicality. Yeah, there are a few throw-away songs that don't strike me as well as others, but every album is going to have a couple of those.

I like it, though. Not his best work but still light-years ahead of what some others are doing.

eh you can definitely have bad pizza.

And are you forgetting about Poetry of the Deed when you say "last two"? I mean, I know I don't speak for everyone but I think most people consider England or IR&S to be his two clearly best albums and then Poetry and Sleep are both good but not quite as good. And this one falls into the same bucket. (though I'd probably put it third at this point)
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Frank Turner   Frank Turner - Page 38 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 5:27 pm

CluckyB wrote:

And are you forgetting about Poetry of the Deed when you say "last two"? I mean, I know I don't speak for everyone but I think most people consider England or IR&S to be his two clearly best albums and then Poetry and Sleep are both good but not quite as good. And this one falls into the same bucket. (though I'd probably put it third at this point)

Ok...I did forget Poetry of the Deed. England and LR&S are his two best. I stand corrected.
Back to top Go down
barkjon
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Frank Turner   Frank Turner - Page 38 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 11:27 pm

got LIS and EKMB, really like this guy naow
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: Frank Turner   Frank Turner - Page 38 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 2:31 am

barkjon wrote:
got LIS and EKMB, really like this guy naow

Still pick up Sleep Is For The Weak and Poetry of the Deed. Neither is quite as strong as those two, but they still have some of his strongest tracks (The Road, Try This At Home, The Ballad of me and my friends...)

I think Recovery, The Way I Tend To Be and Plain Sailing Weather and We Shalt Not Overcome have all quickly become top 10 Franky T songs for me.

I mean like. "Love is about all the changes you make and not just three small words". completely in love with that line
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Frank Turner   Frank Turner - Page 38 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Frank Turner
Page 38 of 41Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next