DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

miles davis and the cool

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
amberfoyd
A Contender
A Contender
amberfoyd

miles davis and the cool Empty
PostSubject: miles davis and the cool   miles davis and the cool Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 12:05 pm

what do you guys incorporate the meaning of this song to be?

Don't wait too long to come home.
My how the years and our youth pass on.
Don't wait too long to come home,
I will leave the front light on.
If the night is all wrong,
don't wait too long.

he loved a girl since they were kids and he doesnt want things to change?

Like Poor Mr. Pitiful, I can't turn you loose
You move like a dream I had, woke up sweating in my room
But your Mama's got plans, and your Daddy's aim is true
But she never understood that it ain't no good
and Papa never heard the Cool.

So why don't you sing to me on this long drive home
Let the sound of your voice sway sweet and slow
As we go down, down, down from our youth to the ground
Down, down, down from our youth to the ground
We might always be blue...

??
Back to top Go down
http://www.twiter.com/amberfoyd
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: miles davis and the cool   miles davis and the cool Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 1:27 pm

Great explanation taken from someone on a different website

I think Miles Davis was the sound that these kids were listening to in their youth. The Jazz musician, by say 1959, had been well into his career. So to hear Miles Davis playing on a record or "on grandmama's radio" would bring back a flood of memories and nostalgia about this person (girl) who has wandered from him as they have grown older. "My have the years of our youth passed on" seems to mean that they continued a relationship of some kind into the future though, as predicted, she wandered.

The album actually deals quite heavily with concepts of memories/nostalgia, among others, but also abandonment. The yearning for this person to return leads him to plead for her "not take too long to come home."
And in Great Expectations we see something similar when he sings "I saw tail lights last night in a dream abut my ex-wife." He has been left again, perhaps by the same person.
In the '59 sound, he is left alone yet again, and permanently, by someone dieing in a car accident. I still have to look further into other songs to see this particular theme pop up.

Hmm...

...I'm actually starting to think that the "someone" in each case is all the same person, perhaps stretching across the album as a whole.
In this song, it is his child hood friend, who he mentions in The '59 Sound, as the person he "knows 'cause we were kids and we used to hang." Only to grow up to become his lover or spouse and be the leaving "ex-wife" mentioned in Great Expectatoins. She is the one who dies in a car crash, going "down, down, down, from [her] youth to the ground." And she plagues him in his dreams causing him to "wake up sweating in my room."
She is to forever be the recipient of the singer's longing who hopefully, and pitifully, leaves the floodlight on as a beacon for her return.
Back to top Go down
thecoolisdead
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: miles davis and the cool   miles davis and the cool Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 9:18 pm

I agree with everything The Angry Johnny Revue says, apart from one: I believe High Lonesome continues the story. During High Lonesome, he talks about how bad his life is after the girl he loved dies. This is shown through the lines 'You're gathering drinks for the same boys who once bought you everything' and even the title. He has been left High and Lonesome by this girl.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: miles davis and the cool   miles davis and the cool Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 9:35 pm

Well I always thought that one line was inspired by a stephen King Book..."Your daddy's aim is true" The Dark Tower " I know the face of my father, and aim true" or something like that Laughing

But seriously....Agreed with everything said
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: miles davis and the cool   miles davis and the cool Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

miles davis and the cool
Page 1 of 1