DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Meet Me By The Rivers Edge

Go down 
+4
JJW319
AngryJohnnyN1930
scarsrsouvenirs
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Meet Me By The Rivers Edge Empty
PostSubject: Meet Me By The Rivers Edge   Meet Me By The Rivers Edge Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 10:13 am

Just thought id start a topic to see what you all inturpret the lyrics to mean.

See I've been here for 28 years.
Pounding sweat beneath these wheels.
We tattooed lines beneath our skin.
No surrender, my Bobby Jean.

We've been burned by all our fears.
Just from growing up around here.
Our father's factories marked our cars.
While Eden burned against the stars.

And Sally said, Sally said.
I can't take no more regret.
It cut us deep, into our souls.
Came and climbed into our bed.
Meet me by the River's edge.
We're going to wash these sins away.
Or else we won't come back again.

You know I had these ballroom dreams.
That, as a child, came to me.
I was a boy in Grandma's arms.
A mother's pride and a wounded heart.
And I was full with fiery wonder.
You wore Audrey Hepburn pearls.
You were the only one who understood me then and the only one who will.

And now I drive the 101 on the California night.
And I'm amazed at all the stars beneath that old Hollywood sign.
And they waltz, (?), to a place we never kept.
And I'm not sure if we belong here, if I ever really left, or If I can go home.

No retreat. No regrets.
Meet me by the river's edge.

To me the "fathers factories marked our cars" means because where their fathers work kinda shows the life that they will lead them selfs.

what do you all inturpret this song as ?
Back to top Go down
scarsrsouvenirs
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Meet Me By The Rivers Edge   Meet Me By The Rivers Edge Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 6:15 pm

that line in the bridge is "and they waltz the ballet up the boulevard to a pace we've never kept"

Back to top Go down
AngryJohnnyN1930
A Contender
A Contender
AngryJohnnyN1930

PostSubject: Re: Meet Me By The Rivers Edge   Meet Me By The Rivers Edge Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 12:02 pm

This was one of my first favorite Gaslight tunes! I think it's one giant tribute to Springsteen, among other things...
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: Meet Me By The Rivers Edge   Meet Me By The Rivers Edge Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 4:58 pm

It talks about childhood and growing up, and written at points as a letter of somesort to a girl

or at least how I interpret it. For now.
Back to top Go down
MagicRatAFC
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Meet Me By The Rivers Edge   Meet Me By The Rivers Edge Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 11:04 am

AngryJohnnyN1930 wrote:
This was one of my first favorite Gaslight tunes! I think it's one giant tribute to Springsteen, among other things...

Totally agree, too many Bruce references to itemise!
Back to top Go down
http://www.invernessreds.co.uk
thebiglebowski
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Meet Me By The Rivers Edge   Meet Me By The Rivers Edge Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 1:30 pm

There is a bar on the Detroit river called "the river's edge". Fits in with the "father's factories marked our cars".

Probably just a coincidence, but at least worth a thought.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Meet Me By The Rivers Edge   Meet Me By The Rivers Edge Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 3:06 pm

thebiglebowski wrote:
There is a bar on the Detroit river called "the river's edge". Fits in with the "father's factories marked our cars".

I think it's generally accepted that both the "river's edge" and "father's factories" references are homages to Spingsteen's "The River" and "Factory" as opposed to actual places.
Back to top Go down
thebiglebowski
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Meet Me By The Rivers Edge   Meet Me By The Rivers Edge Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 3:14 pm

Yeah I know the connection isn't strong. Just saying that it sort of fits as well.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Meet Me By The Rivers Edge   Meet Me By The Rivers Edge Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 3:24 pm

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
thebiglebowski wrote:

I think it's generally accepted that both the "river's edge" and "father's factories" references are homages to Spingsteen's "The River" and "Factory" as opposed to actual places.
Brian's father did work in a factory, though.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Meet Me By The Rivers Edge   Meet Me By The Rivers Edge Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 3:46 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
thebiglebowski wrote:

Brian's father did work in a factory, though.

Brian has also been to a river's edge before but that doesn't mean he would have written a song about it if Bruce hadn't written The River.
Back to top Go down
thebiglebowski
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Meet Me By The Rivers Edge   Meet Me By The Rivers Edge Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 3:57 pm

You seem to think it is fact the the song is about Springsteen song "the river". Has Brian said this directly in an interview somewhere? I see no connection in the lyrics other than that they both have "river" in them. If it was about that song wouldn't he have used "mary" instead of "sally" in the lyrics?

Not saying it isn't referencing "the river" but usually the gaslight reference are pretty obvious ("hiding in a basement mixing up your medicines", "last gang in town", etc...). I just don't see it other than the "river" connection.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Meet Me By The Rivers Edge   Meet Me By The Rivers Edge Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 4:28 pm

thebiglebowski wrote:
You seem to think it is fact the the song is about Springsteen song "the river". Has Brian said this directly in an interview somewhere? I see no connection in the lyrics other than that they both have "river" in them. If it was about that song wouldn't he have used "mary" instead of "sally" in the lyrics?

Not saying it isn't referencing "the river" but usually the gaslight reference are pretty obvious ("hiding in a basement mixing up your medicines", "last gang in town", etc...). I just don't see it other than the "river" connection.

The song is one long homage to several different Springsteen songs. If you go to the thread discussing song interpretations, this has been discussed ad naseum.

The song is littered with multiple obvious references to the following Springsteen songs: "No Surrender", "Bobby Jean", "The River", "Factory", "Growing Up", and "Fourth of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)."

A single isolated reference to a "river" is not what makes the Springsteen reference obvious, it is the many unsubtle references (all within the same song) that make it clear that these are not just a coincidental use of words and phrases.

And yes, Brian has acknowledged in interviews that this song is an homage to Bruce.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Meet Me By The Rivers Edge   Meet Me By The Rivers Edge Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Meet Me By The Rivers Edge
Page 1 of 1