DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Going to shows alone...?

Go down 
+29
JoshRaymond
oh_megan
TheOtherNewestOne
The Major
Mechamunky
enola
PFREEZY
steady now steady now
IKeeptheDiner
mescalero
Zeebs07
verbos
Gaslight23
amberfoyd
Rock bus
azlisa
Ryan
ForgottenGhosts
CluckyB
hynesie
simo
loazis
fullcollapse
JJW319
Daire
Down by the Mersey
chickenman
NeverTrustAJunkie
Jay
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

Going to shows alone...? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 4:48 am

To add to the stories, I have a female friend who flew from RI to Burning Man by herself and she had the best time hanging out and meeting people. As far as safety concerns, just use common sense like you would any other place.

Back to top Go down
Gaslight23
Wooderson
Wooderson
Gaslight23

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 2:24 pm

I went to the Saturday of Reading festival 2009 on my own, it was great didn't have to worry about trying to convince people to go see who i wanted to, so could just go see who i wanted when i wanted, was alot better than the friday when i went with a friend who was very awkward and had lots of debates over who to see. I would go to any show on my own, i like the freedom of it.
Back to top Go down
verbos
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
verbos

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 7:58 pm

I agree with the general consensus of GO! You'll regret it if you don't. Life is about new experiences, meet some people that are into the same music as you!
Back to top Go down
Zeebs07
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 10:22 pm

I travelled around Australia alone for a year. Somewhere in there I got a last minute ticket to Pearl Jam (mainly because I was alone) in Sydney. Amazing.

Doooo iiiiiiit! The positives far out weigh any negatives you could come up with.

PS - I agree with Hynesie (Exhibit A - I'm one of the randomers he met when he went to a gig alone & Exhibit B - The chances of finding that one person totally in step with you in relation to where you wanna stand, how into the band you both are etc are, I believe, slim!)

Back to top Go down
mescalero
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
mescalero

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 11:00 pm

i'm glad i read this thread... i just moved and i don't really have any "show" friends in the area, and since my wife is pregnant, she's kinda out of commission...

i agree with a lot of you on here, i've missed a lot of shows because i didn't have anybody to go with, and i always kick myself later on. it can still be lame sometimes, especially if there's a lot of time between bands and you're kinda feeling like a loner, but i saw Ted Leo & The Pharmacists by myself and it was totally awesome, i think i actually liked it better since i didn't have to worry about anybody else.
Back to top Go down
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
IKeeptheDiner

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 11:13 pm

really nothing bad about going to a show. nothing i can think of. its actually a bit enjoyable if you have other people who are really into the band around you. you'll all look funny hootin' and hollerin'.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 4:18 pm

If you plan to be at the front and get there early, you won't be going to the show alone, because Gaslight Anthem fans are a great bunch and you'll have made a friend by the time you walk into the venue.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
PFREEZY
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 10:26 am

I've been to plenty of shows by myself. Shit, the last time I saw TGA was by myself. If it is someone I really want to see I'll go by myself. It has been harder lately to find people to go with so I have ended up going to shows I don't really want to go to, but other people do. But like most people said, there is nothing wrong with going by yourself.
Back to top Go down
http://freezy.tumblr.com
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 1:42 pm

Just do it!

I've also been to shows on my own and I agree with you all. You probably meet nice people there esp when you come early. And if you don't, just bring something with you to kill time until the band starts to play, like a magazine, your phone, mp3 player - whatever suits you ;o)

It is nice to have someone to go to concerts with, though (and lucky me my husband and I have nearly the exact taste in music) but sometimes it just doesn't work out and it would be worse to miss a great show than to worry about what other people think of you, wouldn't it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
Mechamunky
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Mechamunky

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 5:36 pm

Hey guys!
Just joined because this topic caught my interest. I absolutely hate going to shows alone. Mainly because the nearest cities that bands tend to go through are about a 1-2 hour drive. After a show I at least like to have someone to talk to about how awesome/crappy/etc it was.

I've only been to one show by myself and that was to see Tim Barry at this club when all my other friends decided to back out at the last possible second. It was totally worth it though because it was one of the best shows I ever saw. I met some nice people and got to meet everyone that played that night and actually talk to them. It was fun, but I still try to bring someone with me.
Back to top Go down
The Major
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 6:51 pm

nothing wrong with going to a show on your own...you always end up talking to someone and making new friends which can only be a good thing...Of the 15 times I've seen Gaslight have been to 7 on my own and have probably done about 500 gigs without my friends
Back to top Go down
TheOtherNewestOne
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 4:47 am

Yeah, I go to tons of shows alone. Though, I'm seeing Flogging Molly in a huge group of like 8 people. But yeah, sometimes it's more enjoyable. Though I prefer to be with someone else usually. Especially during breaks between bands. Standing and waiting for an hour can get boring as hell alone. But I tell everyone I go with that I never leave early. Never. I mean, unless they're vomiting their insides or something, I'm staying. And I like to be in front.
Back to top Go down
oh_megan
A Contender
A Contender
oh_megan

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 9:00 am

If Its a band i like and I cant find anyone to come with me, I always go alone. If you like the band it shouldnt matter if you cant find someone to go with, you'll still enjoy the music and band. I not long ago went to see Jimmy Eat World alone because it was quite expensive so noone would pay, and I had a great time. just go!
Back to top Go down
http://ohmeganfallon.tumblr.com
JoshRaymond
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JoshRaymond

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 9:17 am

i hate going alone really only because i like to get drunk and i always need a designated driver haha
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 1:52 pm

JoshRaymond wrote:
i hate going alone really only because i like to get drunk and i always need a designated driver haha
Getting drunk alone is kinda silly anyway for me though =P
Back to top Go down
JoshRaymond
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JoshRaymond

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 8:23 pm

not really some times it can be relaxing and chil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 9:44 pm

i agree with Josn, I rather just drink alone and listen to Tom Waits' "Heart of Saturday Night' then be around group of rowdy annoying drunks.
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 5:26 am

Well yeah, when you're listening to Tom Waits on your own, but I just can't imagine myself going to a Gaslight/rock/punk show and end up getting drunk all by myself. That was my point. Grabbing a beer for yourself isn't that weird no I guess =)
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 8:29 am

oldgospelchoir wrote:
i agree with Josn, I rather just drink alone and listen to Tom Waits' "Heart of Saturday Night' then be around group of rowdy annoying drunks.

Closing Time is that album for me

As for going to shows alone, if you like the artist just go, drink a beer and enjoy the show. It does get awkard in between bands though, but striking a conversation with people could help though. Especially others who go to shows alone.
Like people pointed out it's so annoying to bring people along who don't like the band.
It's so much fun to go crazy for a band with friends though.
Back to top Go down
Mechamunky
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Mechamunky

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 1:27 pm

I like talking to other people at shows because I know they either like the band, or like that style of music, so it's a lot easier to talk to them than some random person.

Back to top Go down
MagicRatAFC
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 10:50 am

I tend to go to a lot of shows on my own.
I'm guessing I'm knida older than a lot of the posters on here and I think that kind of thing does get easier as you get older.
As a lot of posters have said, it's far better to be at a show on your todd than with guys and gals who don't want to be there.
I am no sort of conversationalist during a gig by a band I really like, so bringing someone who expects to interact with me is a waste.
Top quality "Me Time"!
Back to top Go down
http://www.invernessreds.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 11:33 am

I saw Gaslight last year on my own, none of my friends wanted to go. I met some really awesome people and I'm glad I was alone because nobody got annoyed at me for singing along to every word quite badly Smile Haha. Also, after the show I waited an hour in the freezing cold to meet the band, and if I had my friends with me they would have made me leave after like five mins! The wait was well worth it, as I got a lovely hug from Brian! Very Happy

So I would say it's well worth it to go alone, you can do what you like Very Happy
Back to top Go down
908-Billy
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
908-Billy

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 6:17 pm

Yeah, I never went to a concert with anyone but myself. It seems none of my friends like the music I like, or we agree on bands that we'll never get a chance to see (like the Chili Peppers who sell out in 2 minutes, or a classic rock band that is no longer active).

When I saw Gaslight (only once unfortunately), I just kind of walked over to two guys in line and started talking. We mentioned why we liked the band, how we discovered them, talked about other punk bands we grew up with, and all that. Everyone's there for the same reason, so you can always find common ground to talk about. They become like your friends for the day/night. Yeah, it does suck coming home from it and having nobody really get it or be able to relate to the experience, but when you're there it's cool. Gaslight puts on a great show, so you can't be let down.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 8:49 pm

So we love our friends, but enjoy being away from them because they really know how to ruin a good time sometimes. I'm kidding. I actually didn't realize how common it is to go alone. Thought I was in the minority! Glad to be wrong.
Back to top Go down
molas
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 11:14 am

thanks for info!)+1
Back to top Go down
http://custom-essay.ws/dissertation.php
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Going to shows alone...?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2