DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

American Slang (the song), fullband or acoustic?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
chickenman
A Contender
A Contender
chickenman

American Slang (the song), fullband or acoustic? Empty
PostSubject: American Slang (the song), fullband or acoustic?   American Slang (the song), fullband or acoustic? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 9:48 am

Somehow I happend to have a mp3 sourced Deluxe Edition of American Slang, the album, on my harddrive, with She Loves You, and an acoustic studio version of American Slang. The 10-track album I bought dosen't have the acoustic version.

My question is, what version do you prefer?

As much as I love the band-version, the build-up intro, the guitar riff, and Brian's vocals, I gotta admit I prefer the acoustic version. I don't know exactly what it is, but I think it is the way Brian is singing it. It kinda reminds me of Bruce Springsteens album Nebraska, and especially Atlantic City.

For me, the acoustic American Slang has a feeling to it that adds alot to the song, I realy get the feeling that Brian is really trying to tell you his story with it, or something like that.

Is it just me?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: American Slang (the song), fullband or acoustic?   American Slang (the song), fullband or acoustic? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 6:55 pm

It seems like, not only with the acoustic version of American Slang, but the acoustic versions of all the songs that Brian plays, it really gives you a whole new look at the song. The full band versions are amazing, but the acoustic versions hit you harder. I think they sound more vulnerable then the full on rock versions. It probably depends on what mood you're in; sometimes you just wanna listen to great rock'n'roll, and other times you wanna hear some vulnerability. I don't know if any of what I just wrote makes any sense, cause I kinda suck at describing how music affects me to other people. hahaha
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: American Slang (the song), fullband or acoustic?   American Slang (the song), fullband or acoustic? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 11:12 pm

I don't think that song in general gets enough love. I'll admit, at first when it was uploaded on it's own I was apprehensive about the song, album and band as a whole but after a good few listens it's really grown on me.

Listening to it alone with the video really makes it something great imo, and it's without doubt in my top 10 TGA songs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: American Slang (the song), fullband or acoustic?   American Slang (the song), fullband or acoustic? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 11:48 pm

I really love the acoustic version because to me it has more emotion and has a "real-ness" to it. I saw a youtube video of Brian on Sirius...it really hit home with me because I can relate to the song. I think when Brian plays it by himself it has a certain sadness and vulnerability to it. I had the opportunity to see the band play it live at Radio City and it has a different vibe...it was just...Awesome..pure punk rock!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: American Slang (the song), fullband or acoustic?   American Slang (the song), fullband or acoustic? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

American Slang (the song), fullband or acoustic?
Page 1 of 1