DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Navesink Banks

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
GraveRobbers
A Contender
A Contender

The Navesink Banks Empty
PostSubject: The Navesink Banks   The Navesink Banks Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 12:22 am

So I was listening to the Navesink Banks, I mean really listening to it and I was picking the song apart for a meaning. It's just one of those songs that grips something inside you, and you can just see everything as Brian sings it. The main thing I took from it, was just a loss of innocence.

I know I am probably extremely wrong here, but this is what I took from the song. With the lyrics and the way the song is being sung.

My first sin was a young american girl - Losing physical innocence
My first sin was a fear that made me old - Losing your innocent view on life
Your first sin was a lie you told yourself - Losing or hiding the things that make you innocent
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

The Navesink Banks Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Navesink Banks   The Navesink Banks Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 10:08 am

It sounds like a gritty story about his tough growing up to me. He's done things he shouldn't have done perhaps, he maybe even regrets. Experienced things he was too young and pure for. But that's in the past and although he thinks of it regularly ("If you'da known me when") his love says: "it's ok, I know you now honey, don't worry". So it doesn't really let him go, the past kinda haunts him but it's kinda alright now, 'live in the present'. Old haunts are for forgotten ghosts after all Wink
Back to top Go down

The Navesink Banks Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Navesink Banks   The Navesink Banks Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 12:44 am

This song reminds me a lot of "My Father's House" by Springsteen...What I mean by this is it's so profoundly haunting, and it's about taking a look back at childhood/the loss of innocence/redemption. Brian's songwriting is remarkable...I hope he continues to write songs that make you think back and make your heart feel heavy.
Back to top Go down
Ens
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

The Navesink Banks Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Navesink Banks   The Navesink Banks Icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 9:56 pm

probably my favourite song lyrically. I really like your analogy of it GraveRobbers, as although I'm a girl and my first sin was defiantly not 'a young American girl', the lyrics really get to you
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

The Navesink Banks Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Navesink Banks   The Navesink Banks Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 5:25 am

Threads like this just make me want to say damn it all, throw in the towel, and just stop. Not in a bad way; just from knowing that I'm not sure if I will ever be more in love with a person's creative soul than I am with Brian's.

This band, you guys. Seriously. This band.
Back to top Go down
Ens
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

The Navesink Banks Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Navesink Banks   The Navesink Banks Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 9:29 am

lol i love that! Not extreme whatsoever...
Back to top Go down
Porvin
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

The Navesink Banks Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Navesink Banks   The Navesink Banks Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 3:30 pm

I don't know if this was intentional or not, but the lyrics in this song point to the key elements of the hero's journey.

"and the sirens over wailing
but a man cant ignore the signs
you gotta keep a good eye
on the winding road ahead"

the man who can't ignore the signs because he sees his Call to Adventure, followed by the "Road" of trials which require the hero to be his sharpest lest he fail.

"and i spent time 'neath the tressels
with the punks and the dimestore saints
kept faith and a switchblade tucked beneath my coat
and i ran with dirty angels
slept out in the rain
we were scared and tired and barely 17"

this whole part seems to elaborate on the road of trials and descent into darkness.

"and i walked down by the shipyards
near the place where i was born
saying "ah maria, if you woulda known me when..."
but she just smiles by the light on the navesink banks
saying "listen baby i know you now""

this deals with the homecoming. The hero has come back to his community, but as a new person bringing back new insight. Maybe I'm horribly off, but I found this interesting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Navesink Banks Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Navesink Banks   The Navesink Banks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Navesink Banks
Page 1 of 1