DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Brian in Virginia Avenue?

Go down 
+2
Jay
loazis
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Brian in Virginia Avenue? Empty
PostSubject: Brian in Virginia Avenue?   Brian in Virginia Avenue? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 6:11 pm

This is from Absolute Punk:
http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?s=adca831ef414c5f114a9c73b591471f1&t=1970532

Quote :
Some of the greatest musical minds of our generation have grown to create a quiet, beautiful garden of new music.
Introducing: Virginia Avenue.

Virginia Avenue is...

Vocals/Guitar - Brian Fallon of The Gaslight Anthem
Lead Guitar - Tom Morello of Rage Against The Machine/The Nightwatchman
Keys/Programming - Sufjan Stevens
Bass/Banjo/Guitar - Aaron Dessner of The National
Drums - Jay Weinberg of the E Street Band

The seeds were planted in early 2009, with two men meeting on the Manhattan Bridge. Sufjan was wrapping up some multimedia work for his release of BQE, his 2007 venture into classical music based on the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway. The Gaslight Anthem was writing pieces of their new record, 2010 critical darling "American Slang," and Brian wanted to visit the grizzled New York highway for some inspiration. They met on the bridge, and as Sufjan says, "There was an immediate understanding. The first thing Brian and I started talking about is the number of musicians who've turned to this bridge for inspiration, and it just sort've evolved from there into a discussion of folk and rock music."

The two discovered a common love of "night time" music, the minor-key melodies of Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen. It wasn't long before Brian had Sufjan over to listen to some of their new studio music (Sufjan actually plays an old piano in the bridge of "Old Haunts"), and the modern legends began working together.

Soon, they decided to involve more people, and contacted Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine and Jay Weinberg, son and fill-in of Max Weinberg of E-Street Band fame. Brian was especially impressed with Tom's haunting duet "The Ghost of Tom Joad" with one of his musical idols, Bruce Springsteen. Finally, Aaron Dessner, bassist for the National (which both Brian and Sufjan are both huge fans of) was contacted to see if he wanted to collaborate on a few wine-stricken blues songs. With a moody, disquieting nighttime as their backdrop, the men began work on a few songs that would become the basis for their debut album, "Don't Invite Me Over Anymore," scheduled for release In early 2011.

The streets of New York may make a high and lonesome sound for some, but all is well on Virgina Avenue.

EDIT: Brian just tweeted

Quote :
I Am not in a band called Virginia Avenue... No matter what absolute punk says. And that's my foot across the piano in old haunts.

So I am not sure where Absolute Punk got this from.
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: Brian in Virginia Avenue?   Brian in Virginia Avenue? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 6:20 pm

This is just... weird :/

Tom Morello is awesome though.
Back to top Go down
Jay
A Contender
A Contender
Jay

PostSubject: Re: Brian in Virginia Avenue?   Brian in Virginia Avenue? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 8:20 pm

WHat the fuck I just read the article and got super pumped and ecited and now I just read the bottom part and what the fuck that would have been the greatest thing in the world they should definitely do it and they just are fucking with me!!!!!

What the fuck absolute punk Why do you feel the need to fuck with my life like this?!?!?!?!?
Back to top Go down
Philo
Wooderson
Wooderson
Philo

PostSubject: Re: Brian in Virginia Avenue?   Brian in Virginia Avenue? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 8:49 pm

In all fairness, that 'band' has ridiculous amount of talent in it. Wasn't Brian talking about 'night time music' on Cassettes in the MAilbox not that long ago.

Sounds unreal but it just seems as if theyve thrown together as list of people from a '6 Degrees of Seperation' type thing:
- Sufjan Stevens did backing vocals on the last National album.
- Morello playing with Bruce and The E-Street Band, meeting Weinburg.
- Hey! Doesnt Brian Fallon like the National AND Bruce Springsteen?
Back to top Go down
Philo
Wooderson
Wooderson
Philo

PostSubject: Re: Brian in Virginia Avenue?   Brian in Virginia Avenue? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 8:55 pm

Scroll down, complete fake - http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1971902
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brian in Virginia Avenue?   Brian in Virginia Avenue? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 9:57 pm

Just a massive Tease fellas
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: Brian in Virginia Avenue?   Brian in Virginia Avenue? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 10:01 pm

Yea, just saw this on ap.net

But honestly though, I could never see Brian forming some "super group" at this time.
Back to top Go down
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
IKeeptheDiner

PostSubject: Re: Brian in Virginia Avenue?   Brian in Virginia Avenue? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 10:07 pm

It was just a game type thing they were playing on the boards over at AP apparently. I would like it, without one member. :-x
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brian in Virginia Avenue?   Brian in Virginia Avenue? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 10:13 pm

If this was true then I would prefer Tom Morello from The Nightwatchman, not the Tom Morello from RATM
Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
azlisa

PostSubject: Re: Brian in Virginia Avenue?   Brian in Virginia Avenue? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 2:07 am

oldgospelchoir wrote:

A random user posted it on ap.net because it's for a "fantasy band draft". Somehow it just got into the wrong context and someone thought it was actually REAL, when in reality it was just someone's crazy fantasy lineup Smile
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa

PostSubject: Re: Brian in Virginia Avenue?   Brian in Virginia Avenue? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 2:13 am

azlisa wrote:
oldgospelchoir wrote:

A random user posted it on ap.net because it's for a "fantasy band draft". Somehow it just got into the wrong context and someone thought it was actually REAL, when in reality it was just someone's crazy fantasy lineup Smile

yeah i got that. It was unexplained when I posted it earlier.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brian in Virginia Avenue?   Brian in Virginia Avenue? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brian in Virginia Avenue?
Page 1 of 1