DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

House of the rising sun

Go down 
+11
tdawg
simo
J.B.R.
drifter69
Bea
lynchyeatspizza
Jay
steady now steady now
Prisoner
loazis
Midnight Rambler
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Midnight Rambler
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Midnight Rambler

House of the rising sun Empty
PostSubject: House of the rising sun   House of the rising sun Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 9:13 am

Couldn't see this posted anywhere. Awesome! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: House of the rising sun   House of the rising sun Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 10:59 am

Hmm, I'm not digging it that much. Good find though : - )
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: House of the rising sun   House of the rising sun Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 12:39 pm

The song is not by Bob Dylan. He took it from Dave van Ronk who took it from somebody else and so on to the eighteenth century
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: House of the rising sun   House of the rising sun Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 1:44 pm

Nice find, even though I'm not that keen on the performance. During the fall tour 2009 they included part of this song in 'Say I Won't'.

'House of the Risising Sun' is one of the first songs I learnt to play on the guitar and the chord progression is still my favourite. I was hence not surprised when I discover that it matches that of one of my all time favourite songs, Patti Smith's 'Pissing in a River'. Am C Dm F

And 'no', it's not by Dylan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_the_rising_sun

Nothing like songs about brothels.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Jay
A Contender
A Contender
Jay

PostSubject: Re: House of the rising sun   House of the rising sun Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Not by Dylan or even close lol. But still, fun song, one of the classics.

100th post too hehe=)
Back to top Go down
lynchyeatspizza
Wooderson
Wooderson
lynchyeatspizza

PostSubject: Re: House of the rising sun   House of the rising sun Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 2:56 am

Any chance of a mp3 rip?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lynchy911
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: House of the rising sun   House of the rising sun Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 11:37 am

they also played Boxer, and Alex looks booored:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt-bQ0SPGI0&feature=related

i'm not liking this performance too much though...
Back to top Go down
drifter69
Wooderson
Wooderson
drifter69

PostSubject: Re: House of the rising sun   House of the rising sun Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 2:06 pm

http://www.video2mp3.net/view/YouTube/D9nA1Q_pE_0/19a72b08e30e3e6e8373a559fd260754/
Back to top Go down
http://www.mafiamusic.proboards99.com
J.B.R.
A Contender
A Contender
J.B.R.

PostSubject: Re: House of the rising sun   House of the rising sun Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 11:52 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5tOpyipNJs

Def not Dylan, Leadbelly even does a version.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: House of the rising sun   House of the rising sun Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 1:08 pm

I believe Dylan took it from Guthrie...I think the true author is unknown though.
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson
tdawg

PostSubject: Re: House of the rising sun   House of the rising sun Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 2:20 pm

lol, yeah, not Dylan, but it's a song with a long history. Their version's mostly like the Animals version, which is probably the best known one.
It was also one of my first songs, steady now! So much fun, but it took a while to get that drag picking down.
Back to top Go down
http://www.utdallas.edu/~dat054000
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: House of the rising sun   House of the rising sun Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 8:18 am

simo wrote:
I believe Dylan took it from Guthrie...I think the true author is unknown though.

Dylan took it from Dave Van Ronk

The Woodie Guthrie version is really different from these versions in melody and chord progressions
Back to top Go down
wonderson189
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
wonderson189

PostSubject: Re: House of the rising sun   House of the rising sun Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 3:10 am

i like it its gritty, you don't find that kind of soul and grit anymore
Back to top Go down
wonderson189
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
wonderson189

PostSubject: Re: House of the rising sun   House of the rising sun Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 5:11 am

Prisoner wrote:
simo wrote:

Dylan took it from Dave Van Ronk

The Woodie Guthrie version is really different from these versions in melody and chord progressions

actually it was adopted by both, the writer is umknown its an old folk song before either of thier times
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: House of the rising sun   House of the rising sun Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 9:00 am

It was adopted by both, but as far as I know Dylan based his version on Van Ronk's.

I believe there's even a story to it, that goes something like this I believe: Dylan calls up Van Ronk to ask if he's ok with it if he records a version of HotRS based on his for his album. Van Ronk isn't too happy about it and prefers that he doesn't because he wants to record it himself for a record. Dylan is silent for a few seconds and then tells him "Oh... well, ehm... I already recorded it actually".

Apparently every time Van Ronk played his own version of the song after Dylan's album got released he got accused of playing Dylan's song. In the interview I saw about it he was laughing about it though, although I can imagine him being a bit less happy with Bob back then =P
Back to top Go down
thecosmickid
Wooderson
Wooderson
thecosmickid

PostSubject: Re: House of the rising sun   House of the rising sun Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 2:19 pm

loazis wrote:
It was adopted by both, but as far as I know Dylan based his version on Van Ronk's.

I believe there's even a story to it, that goes something like this I believe: Dylan calls up Van Ronk to ask if he's ok with it if he records a version of HotRS based on his for his album. Van Ronk isn't too happy about it and prefers that he doesn't because he wants to record it himself for a record. Dylan is silent for a few seconds and then tells him "Oh... well, ehm... I already recorded it actually".

Apparently every time Van Ronk played his own version of the song after Dylan's album got released he got accused of playing Dylan's song. In the interview I saw about it he was laughing about it though, although I can imagine him being a bit less happy with Bob back then =P

And then someone else recorded it and Dylan got accused for riping that person off when Dylan played it Razz
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: House of the rising sun   House of the rising sun Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 3:02 pm

thecosmickid wrote:
loazis wrote:

And then someone else recorded it and Dylan got accused for riping that person off when Dylan played it Razz
Van Ronk laughed his ass off when the Animals released it =P
Back to top Go down
raptorsaurus
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
raptorsaurus

PostSubject: Re: House of the rising sun   House of the rising sun Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 7:03 am

woot! I was there when they played this!!
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
A_Regular

PostSubject: Re: House of the rising sun   House of the rising sun Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 7:29 pm

How do you guys not like this scratch

Classic Brian soul
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: House of the rising sun   House of the rising sun Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

House of the rising sun
Page 1 of 1