DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Line Etiquette?

Go down 
+6
steady now steady now
andy.mac
ral
Tailschao
PFREEZY
IKeeptheDiner
10 posters
AuthorMessage
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
IKeeptheDiner

Line Etiquette? Empty
PostSubject: Line Etiquette?   Line Etiquette? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 3:49 pm

So with the tour approaching and all I was just wondering, how many people actually wait in line for the show throughout the day. If so can we jot down some common sense-respect laws. (ie-waiting for someone else as well,times, etc) If this is a waste of time feel free to delete. I know for one show this summer I'll be waiting in line.
Back to top Go down
PFREEZY
Wooderson
Wooderson

Line Etiquette? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Line Etiquette?   Line Etiquette? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 4:01 pm

I got no patience, and I hate waitin'
Back to top Go down
http://freezy.tumblr.com
Tailschao
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Line Etiquette? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Line Etiquette?   Line Etiquette? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 9:36 pm

How about adopting a european-Springsteen-show style setup?

First person there brings a biro, a small notepad and a marker pen. He's number 1, write a big 1 on his hand and his name and a number 1 in the notepad. As people arrive, they get put down with their name and number of arrival in the notepad and the number put on their hand. At pre-determined times (by the number 1) there are roll calls and anyone not present at any of the roll calls is crossed off the list and their hand-number invalid. 30 mins or an hour before the show everyone lines up in order and number 1 makes sure there are no crossed off people where they shouldn't be.

This gives people time to go and get food and stretch their legs and go to get rid, of, ah... waste products, so on and so forth, without it being a free for all.

Roll call timings usually depend on how far in advance everybody is. Obviously, 4 or 5 days before hand and things are more lax. I'd say maybe, on the day of the show, from 7am to 1pm every two hours, then every hour (on the hour) until, say, 5pm when everyone has to be there, in order, and stay there. At least, that's what I'm gonna try at the Birmingham UK show in a few weeks!

There's always one or two cunts who try to take advantage of course, but it seems to work pretty well. Usually if the venue staff have been there a while before the doors open number 1 can explain the system to them and they are usually fine with it. They may not bother to intervene if there's any disputes, but they generally have no problem with number 1 trying to organise everyone into order.

Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
IKeeptheDiner

Line Etiquette? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Line Etiquette?   Line Etiquette? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 10:16 pm

hah, that sounds intense. all the lines i've waited in never had a roll call. its just the honor system. i was also thinking something along the lines of waiting for other people. if you have work and you are waiting for some friends as well, thats fine if you have no more than 3 or 4. if you have like 13 friends your waiting for, then it gets kind of frustrating.

as for 4 or 5 days? i dont think people will be waiting days for gaslight haha. i know i plan on getting to the release show sometime late morning-early afternoon. gotta get that poster.
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

Line Etiquette? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Line Etiquette?   Line Etiquette? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 10:52 pm

I saw seven shows last year and all that, while well-intended, seems like overkill. Granted, my shows were in the Midwest US, but lines started up a couple hours before the shows and there was no need for a list or any policing. It was just show up, wait, chat with the people around you, then enjoy the show. Maybe I was lucky but there was no line drama.

I'm sure there will be more fans this time around but I can't imagine things changing all that much with when people show up and how many people are willing to put in time waiting. This isn't Springsteen or U2 or Pearl Jam where people spend all day/night in line for a spot on the rail. No one's showing up at 7am for a Gaslight show, at least not yet.
Back to top Go down
Tailschao
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Line Etiquette? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Line Etiquette?   Line Etiquette? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 11:07 pm

Eh, fair enough. I've never been to a straight Gaslight headline show (yet) so I dunno how early people start arriving. Just an idea. It is probably on the upper boundary of necessity, yeah!

It'd work though. Maybe in a few more years or so then Line Etiquette? Icon_tongue
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

Line Etiquette? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Line Etiquette?   Line Etiquette? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 11:10 pm

IKeeptheDiner wrote:
hah, that sounds intense. all the lines i've waited in never had a roll call. its just the honor system. i was also thinking something along the lines of waiting for other people. if you have work and you are waiting for some friends as well, thats fine if you have no more than 3 or 4. if you have like 13 friends your waiting for, then it gets kind of frustrating.

as for 4 or 5 days? i dont think people will be waiting days for gaslight haha. i know i plan on getting to the release show sometime late morning-early afternoon. gotta get that poster.

I wouldn't try to hold a spot for more than 1-2 extra people. This gets dicey as more people show up and the line gets longer. It always looks like people cut and that never goes over well. The best move is to warn the people near you in line early that your friend(s) will be meeting up and try to avoid future headaches. That said, I usually show up early and tell my friends to do the same.
Back to top Go down
Tailschao
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Line Etiquette? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Line Etiquette?   Line Etiquette? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 11:14 pm

ral wrote:
IKeeptheDiner wrote:

I wouldn't try to hold a spot for more than 1-2 extra people. This gets dicey as more people show up and the line gets longer. It always looks like people cut and that never goes over well. The best move is to warn the people near you in line early that your friend(s) will be meeting up and try to avoid future headaches. That said, I usually show up early and tell my friends to do the same.
I'd agree with this TBH. A couple of hours, fine, but any more than that and I'd be a bit pissed if the guy in front of me has 1000 of his friends just randomly show up 10 minutes before the doors open if the rest of us have been there significantly longer. Having to skive the day off work is part of the fun!
Back to top Go down
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
IKeeptheDiner

Line Etiquette? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Line Etiquette?   Line Etiquette? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 11:43 pm

i've never had any line drama either. and i would kinda get a laugh if i showed up to wait in line and someone said they had been there since 7am. that would be funny, but hey i guess its dedication.
Back to top Go down
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

Line Etiquette? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Line Etiquette?   Line Etiquette? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 4:56 am

PFREEZY wrote:
I got no patience, and I hate waitin'

big pimping
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

Line Etiquette? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Line Etiquette?   Line Etiquette? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 5:02 am

Line etiquette is one thing (I know the Springsteen system and I'm glad there is no need for that yet), but getting one's spot at the front/rail back is another matter, like after a toilet break. Does one have to wear a funny hat, just to remind people that one is only making one's way back, rather than pushing in?
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

Line Etiquette? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Line Etiquette?   Line Etiquette? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 5:05 am

Smile big, say excuse me and make sure people see you on your way out, then come back though the same way, people will recognize you and part the seas.... i've never had an issue
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

Line Etiquette? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Line Etiquette?   Line Etiquette? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 6:06 am

I have always found it hard pushed to get back onto the barrier itself but getting back is fine as long as you are polite etc.

Basically dont be a dick!
Back to top Go down
Izzy Eviel
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Line Etiquette? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Line Etiquette?   Line Etiquette? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 8:41 am

I just roll up a few minutes before the main band walk on stage and find gaps on the sides to get pretty close to the stage. You get a better view from the sides, and a lot less idiots.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Izzyeviel
moosicmaniac
A Contender
A Contender

Line Etiquette? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Line Etiquette?   Line Etiquette? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 10:17 am

IKeeptheDiner wrote:
i've never had any line drama either. and i would kinda get a laugh if i showed up to wait in line and someone said they had been there since 7am. that would be funny, but hey i guess its dedication.

I showed up at 1pm to the Boston show last year. I had nothing to do that day, wanted to be on the rail, and figured why not?

The people who worked at the venue thought we were crazy. We heard Gaslight soundchecking and went to the open side-stage doors and eventually Brian invited us to step into the venue a little. Ended up seeing them play Once Upon a Time and a Come Together. By then another few people showed up and Brian said "you've got 1 song, what do you want to hear?" I chose 1930 :-)

So showing up early was definitely worth it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Line Etiquette? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Line Etiquette?   Line Etiquette? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Line Etiquette?
Page 1 of 1