DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

bonus tracks: love or hate?

Go down 
+8
Jeff
Clementine
Vibes
simo
IKeeptheDiner
Holland
stephendgaf
steady now steady now
12 posters
AuthorMessage
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

bonus tracks: love or hate? Empty
PostSubject: bonus tracks: love or hate?   bonus tracks: love or hate? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 4:16 am

I hate bonus tracks; no, that's too strong; I hate certain kinds of bonus tracks; not the actual tracks themselves, but the whole 'bonus' thing, at least in certain cases; ok, so I 'have a problem' with bonus tracks, rather than 'hating' them (theraphy sure pays off bonus tracks: love or hate? Icon_biggrin).

If a band records studio tracks that aren't good enough to make it onto the album, then why do they offer them straight away as bonus tracks, especially when these are tagged onto the album itself on itunes? Are tracks like that not better kept for a rainy day rarities album? Same goes for tracks that conceptually don't quite fit the style of a particular album. These are better held over for another release.

And don't get me started on country exclusive bonus tracks. Did they do research and decide that particular tracks will only go down well in the UK or in Australia? And what's with Japanese editions?

Live or acoustic bonus tracks are a somewhat different matter. After all, they probably hadn't been recorded at the time the studio album was all wrapped up, so their appearance on CD singles or free cover CDs is fine.

Now, we know that some labels and bands just do it for the money, but why do other bands go along with it?

And yes, I'm such a sucker that I'll still buy every Gaslight Anthem thing with a bonus track on it ...

Last edited by steady now steady now on Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
stephendgaf
Wooderson
Wooderson
stephendgaf

PostSubject: Re: bonus tracks: love or hate?   bonus tracks: love or hate? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 5:47 am

i just don't like it when its either just a vinyl or itunes exclusive.
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: bonus tracks: love or hate?   bonus tracks: love or hate? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 12:51 pm

its an annoying thing, i didnt even know once upon a time existed while i had 59 sound. They should release them as an EP not stick them on the end of albums. The Backseat is clearly the last song on 59sound they shouldnt randomly put other songs at the end.
Back to top Go down
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
IKeeptheDiner

PostSubject: Re: bonus tracks: love or hate?   bonus tracks: love or hate? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 1:28 pm

vinyl exclusives- yeh
itunes-eh
different countries-neh
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: bonus tracks: love or hate?   bonus tracks: love or hate? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 2:06 pm

If they're hidden on the CD, that's fine. iTunes exclusive annoys me.

They're the one thing I don't have a problem pirating. I'm not gonna buy an album a second time for an extra song.
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: bonus tracks: love or hate?   bonus tracks: love or hate? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 3:35 pm

The thing that bugs me about certain bonus tracks is when you get one and say "That should have been over the record." When there's a song that you're not crazy about and a bonus track you are, and you pinpoint where on the record it could have fallen perfectly, that's when I get a little bummed.

As for bonus tracks as a whole? It'll probably be another 2 years before we get another LP from Gaslight. I'll take all of the tracks I can get.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
IKeeptheDiner

PostSubject: Re: bonus tracks: love or hate?   bonus tracks: love or hate? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 4:25 pm

simo-i forgot about those. those are great. i love having those.

anyone making any bigwig joke in this thread yet?
Back to top Go down
Clementine
A Contender
A Contender
Clementine

PostSubject: Re: bonus tracks: love or hate?   bonus tracks: love or hate? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 9:54 pm

'As for bonus tracks as a whole? It'll probably be another 2 years before we get another LP from Gaslight. I'll take all of the tracks I can get.[/quote]

Agreed...
Back to top Go down
Jeff
A Contender
A Contender
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: bonus tracks: love or hate?   bonus tracks: love or hate? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 5:26 pm

Extra songs is a definite yes for me, but the messing with album flow is not. So I figure once I get my hands on 'em, I'll just assemble a playlist of them and any other non-album released songs so I can listen to them as a completely separate entity. *Shrug*
Back to top Go down
SheaPaddyPower
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: bonus tracks: love or hate?   bonus tracks: love or hate? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 9:28 pm

The more tracks of a artist or band I love, the better really. What annoys me is those country-exclusive tracks or the ones where iTunes force you to buy the entire record again for a couple more songs. I think they did that with Springsteen's Seeger Sessions and the American Land edition. That didn't get bought, sorry Boss.
Back to top Go down
Asleepontheforestfloor
Wooderson
Wooderson
Asleepontheforestfloor

PostSubject: Re: bonus tracks: love or hate?   bonus tracks: love or hate? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 9:53 pm

Haha. Dude, with stuff like that I don't even think twice about paying for them. If they wanted me to pay for it, they should have put it on vinyl.
Back to top Go down
SheaPaddyPower
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: bonus tracks: love or hate?   bonus tracks: love or hate? Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 12:43 pm

It just pissses me off when people like Springsteen do it in particular. I love the man, he is my God. But do you REALLY need us to spend another 15 Pound/Euro/Dollar on a couple of songs when you're already far richer than anybody buying the damn record?
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: bonus tracks: love or hate?   bonus tracks: love or hate? Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 1:44 pm

i have no problem with bonus tracks. if the artist has more good songs recorded and ready to go but they don't fit with the creative vision of the actual album, put 'em as bonus tracks. that's fine.

what is frustrating is when bonus track editions are released well after the original release and there's no way you can buy the individual songs. i hate that.
Back to top Go down
WWD4D?
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
WWD4D?

PostSubject: Re: bonus tracks: love or hate?   bonus tracks: love or hate? Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 2:26 pm

Once Upon A Time was available as a single track download so I reckon She Loves You will be too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: bonus tracks: love or hate?   bonus tracks: love or hate? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

bonus tracks: love or hate?
Page 1 of 1