DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New York magazine note on American Slang

Go down 
+4
Little Eden
verbos
Jack
steady now steady now
8 posters
AuthorMessage
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

New York magazine note on American Slang Empty
PostSubject: New York magazine note on American Slang   New York magazine note on American Slang Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 2:53 am

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/04/leaked_the_gaslight_anthem_are.html

Leaked: The Gaslight Anthem Are Still Catchy, Still Sad

The Gaslight Anthem, American Slang
Official release date: June 15

The Verdict: A good week for leaks continues today with the Gaslight Anthem’s third studio album, American Slang, hitting the file-sharing circuit. Gaslight fans will find it instantly recognizable, in a good, comforting, big-catchy-cleaned-up-punk-riffs and heartfelt-but-at-times-extremely-corny sing-along choruses kind of way. Everyone else will perhaps soon be forming their own opinions, as we can imagine the push from the Slang press rounds might well shove the New Jersey rockers toward mass exposure. The bad news? We’re a little concerned about front man Brian Fallon: Seemingly more so than ever before, Fallon’s obsessed with regrets, lost friends, broken hearts, missed opportunities, and just the general state of things plum done gone wrong (the chorus on “Old Haunts” goes “don’t sing me your songs about the good times/those days are gone and you should just let them go.”) Cheer up, Brian! You’re a young man who fronts a popular rock band about to release a great new album! Maybe your next album can have a song about how well you’ve stayed in touch with your buddies from grade school or something?
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: New York magazine note on American Slang   New York magazine note on American Slang Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 3:17 am

Thanks for posting. Piece is snarky trash, though.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
verbos
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
verbos

PostSubject: Re: New York magazine note on American Slang   New York magazine note on American Slang Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 3:24 am

Thanks for posting!

Snarky trash is a good way to describe it. "Heartfelt-but-at-times-extremely-corny sing-along choruses"... what? But, opinions are like assholes, right?
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: New York magazine note on American Slang   New York magazine note on American Slang Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 3:27 am

JohnnyC wrote:
Thanks for posting. Piece is snarky trash, though.

that seems to be par for anything from the New York magazine where TGA are concerned
Back to top Go down
Little Eden
Wooderson
Wooderson
Little Eden

PostSubject: Re: New York magazine note on American Slang   New York magazine note on American Slang Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 4:51 am

steady now steady now wrote:
We’re a little concerned about front man Brian Fallon: Seemingly more so than ever before, Fallon’s obsessed with regrets, lost friends, broken hearts, missed opportunities, and just the general state of things plum done gone wrong (the chorus on “Old Haunts” goes “don’t sing me your songs about the good times/those days are gone and you should just let them go.”)

I'm sorry, but is that not life? Do we not all have painful reminders of our past? I for one would like to know what kind of fantasy world this writer lives in that would warrant such a criticsm.

Sorry if I sound ranty, but that line struck me
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: New York magazine note on American Slang   New York magazine note on American Slang Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 4:55 am

for PR purposes, though, the following extract will do nicely:

"a great new album!"
Back to top Go down
RobertODonnell
Wooderson
Wooderson
RobertODonnell

PostSubject: Re: New York magazine note on American Slang   New York magazine note on American Slang Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 9:36 am

Quote :
Seemingly more so than ever before, Fallon’s obsessed with regrets, lost
friends, broken hearts, missed opportunities, and just the general
state of things plum done gone wrong (the chorus on “Old Haunts” goes
“don’t sing me your songs about the good times/those days are gone and
you should just let them go.”)

So .... he's like every punk singer these days then? Except he does it more eloquently and doesn't use the F-word every other line.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: New York magazine note on American Slang   New York magazine note on American Slang Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 12:33 pm

Little Eden wrote:
steady now steady now wrote:
We’re a little concerned about front man Brian Fallon: Seemingly more so than ever before, Fallon’s obsessed with regrets, lost friends, broken hearts, missed opportunities, and just the general state of things plum done gone wrong (the chorus on “Old Haunts” goes “don’t sing me your songs about the good times/those days are gone and you should just let them go.”)

I'm sorry, but is that not life? Do we not all have painful reminders of our past? I for one would like to know what kind of fantasy world this writer lives in that would warrant such a criticsm.

Sorry if I sound ranty, but that line struck me

What the reviewer doesn't get is that the song and the album are actually very life affirming; it's about moving forward, "those days are gone and you should just let them go".
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: New York magazine note on American Slang   New York magazine note on American Slang Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 12:40 pm

Personally I don't see much wrong with the piece. It's a few lines on an album the reviewer has probably only heard once or twice. And everythhing he mentions are big parts of TGA's thing.

I also think the article is written with tongue slightly in cheek.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: New York magazine note on American Slang   New York magazine note on American Slang Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 2:21 pm

Daire wrote:
Personally I don't see much wrong with the piece. It's a few lines on an album the reviewer has probably only heard once or twice. And everythhing he mentions are big parts of TGA's thing.

Well, that's why I said snarky. I can picture the guy writing it with a huge smirk on his face. Obviously we all love the band here, but things like this piece are good exposure for the band if written correctly. I don't think this was.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: New York magazine note on American Slang   New York magazine note on American Slang Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 2:31 pm

JohnnyC wrote:
Well, that's why I said snarky. I can picture the guy writing it with a huge smirk on his face. Obviously we all love the band here, but things like this piece are good exposure for the band if written correctly. I don't think this was.

He wrote "Fallon’s obsessed with regrets, lost friends, broken hearts, missed opportunities [...]".

He could have said "Fallon sings about/reflects on/etc.", but saying "obsessed" is downright negative in my eyes.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: New York magazine note on American Slang   New York magazine note on American Slang Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 3:13 pm

I agree. The whole tone of the thing is negative and the writer comes off as a dick.
Back to top Go down
xstevenbx
Wooderson
Wooderson
xstevenbx

PostSubject: Re: New York magazine note on American Slang   New York magazine note on American Slang Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 4:09 pm

Daire wrote:

Totally agree. I think it's a very funny little article. I mean, the dude likes the record, he just has a few funny (and not completely off base) remarks about it. Overall a very enjoyable read. Kinda wish all reviews were like this.
Back to top Go down
DaveSavedTheDay
A Contender
A Contender
DaveSavedTheDay

PostSubject: Re: New York magazine note on American Slang   New York magazine note on American Slang Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 4:26 pm

I read that way more as a joke like "Hey man, lighten up!" because the author knows that what he writes about is what draws people in.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scheponik.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New York magazine note on American Slang   New York magazine note on American Slang Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New York magazine note on American Slang
Page 1 of 1