DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

3/21 Acoustic Mix - Six Songs from Simo

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

3/21 Acoustic Mix - Six Songs from Simo Empty
PostSubject: 3/21 Acoustic Mix - Six Songs from Simo   3/21 Acoustic Mix - Six Songs from Simo Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 11:33 pm

3/21 Acoustic Mix - Six Songs from Simo 20100321-eehxarsdwx2gi43busss9hcw5

I decided to go all acoustic for my mix, just for something different. I love all these songs and I hope you do too.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mlzyjzgmc3d

1. "Soft and Sweet" - G. Love
This solo acoustic version is a lot better than the studio version. He incorporates some nice slide guitar into a great summery tune.

2. "Radio Campaign" - M. Ward
Part of M. Ward's album, "Transistor Radio," which is about the utopian power of radio. This song is beautiful, and the whole album really. It's one of my favorite albums ever.

3. "Down by the Riverside" - Kelly Latimore
One of the best takes on a traditional I've ever heard. If you like this guy, all of his albums are free. Just google him. I love his stuff.

4. "Dodging the Wind" - Joe Pug
Joe Pug made his name giving away free CDs, and this is off of his free EP, which was still available on his website last time I checked. It's very Dylanesque but not in a copycat way.

5. "Black River Killer" - Blitzen Trapper
An incredible storytelling song. I'd like to hear Brian take on something like this.

6. "Long Shadow" - Joe Strummer
Written on the back of a pizza box, this was Joe's ode to Johnny Cash. Johnny was going to record his own version too, but didn't live long enough. It's one of my favorite Strummer songs. "And somewhere in my soul, there's always rock and roll."
Back to top Go down
colmillionaire
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
colmillionaire

PostSubject: Re: 3/21 Acoustic Mix - Six Songs from Simo   3/21 Acoustic Mix - Six Songs from Simo Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 10:45 am

1. Being from Philly I never understood the whole G. Love thing, well this is the first time actually listening and I'm really digging. Thanks for opening up my horizons!

2. I love this track. In fact you've got me on a huge M. Ward kick as we speak. I remember seeing him 5 years ago and being blown away. Everytime I take a break and come back to him, its always like the first hearing him.

3. I liked it, but almost forgot about the song after I heard. But I remember it being good though, haha.

4. Cool song

5. Love the story, now I know why all of my friends love this band too.

6. Also a cool story. dope track.

Thanks for getting me back into M. Ward and making me realize that G. Love is actually good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Colmillionaire
Ryan
A Contender
A Contender
Ryan

PostSubject: Re: 3/21 Acoustic Mix - Six Songs from Simo   3/21 Acoustic Mix - Six Songs from Simo Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 2:02 pm

1. First time I listened to it I didn't really like it too much. Listened it again at the end though and enjoyed it a little more, must grow on you!

2. Really enjoyed this one, great voice and an addicting tune.

3. Was starting to get into this, then it ended!

4. Was just waiting foir Bruce Springsteen to start singing after the intro. Quite liked it though.

5. Probably my favourite from the 6 of them. Have listened to it a few times since and think I'll look up the rest of their stuff. Great lyrics aswell.

6. I've heard a lot about Joe Strummer particularly on here and this is the first I've actually listened to him. Pretty good will have to listen to some more.

Most of them I didn't really like too much until I listened to them over when writing these comments. Enjoyed them much more the second time round, thanks!
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: 3/21 Acoustic Mix - Six Songs from Simo   3/21 Acoustic Mix - Six Songs from Simo Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 2:13 pm

If you've never listened to the Clash or Strummer, you're seriously missing out. TGA references enough songs in "I'da Called You Woody" to make an entire CD basically.
Back to top Go down
mescalero
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
mescalero

PostSubject: Re: 3/21 Acoustic Mix - Six Songs from Simo   3/21 Acoustic Mix - Six Songs from Simo Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 9:16 pm

i agree with simo, and i know i am prolly pretty biased, but joe strummer is the MAN. i actually got into the clash by checking out joe strummer & the mescaleros first and working my way back (chronologically). if anybody ever gets the chance, check out "Let's Rock Again", a tour documentary w/the mescaleros. it's awesome.

normally, there's not a lot of "acoustic" music that i can really get into, but i really dug the joe pug and blitzen trapper songs. thanks for the mix, great job.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3/21 Acoustic Mix - Six Songs from Simo   3/21 Acoustic Mix - Six Songs from Simo Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

3/21 Acoustic Mix - Six Songs from Simo
Page 1 of 1