DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.)

Go down 
+7
steph
Reinvent good times
JadedGoober7
xstevenbx
simo
Holland
Jack
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.) Empty
PostSubject: Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.)   Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.) Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Obviously the boys were influenced by music of the late '50s and early '60s for the '59 Sound. Just wondering if anyone enjoyed listening to stuff from that era. I know I do. I think you have to be in the right frame of mind at times, but when you are it's a very enjoyable simple pleasure.

Whaddaya think?
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.)   Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.) Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 8:25 pm

yeh i agree with that , i like listening to Sam Cooke , Ben E King , Curtis Mayfield and stuff like that but have to be in the right frame of mind , Sunday mornings usually works for me. Its like that with all music i listen to though sometimes you just cant listen to a band and other times its like an obsession.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.)   Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.) Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 8:39 pm

I do enjoy it. But it's not something I can devote all my attention too, but that's just the simplistic nature of most of the lyrics.

However, I have a big playlist of punk songs, and I find it works awesome to dump some soul and reggae in there, and then shuffle it.
Back to top Go down
xstevenbx
Wooderson
Wooderson
xstevenbx

PostSubject: Re: Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.)   Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 2:04 am

i like little richard a lot, i don't know if that counts. but he rules!
Back to top Go down
JadedGoober7
A Contender
A Contender
JadedGoober7

PostSubject: Re: Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.)   Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 4:30 am

Woody Guthrie is well worth a listen, I can listen to him any time of the day or night.
Back to top Go down
Reinvent good times
A Contender
A Contender
Reinvent good times

PostSubject: Re: Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.)   Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 3:48 pm

Does Dylan, Highway 61 revisited count? That's in my rotation.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.)   Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 4:27 pm

Holland wrote:
yeh i agree with that , i like listening to Sam Cooke , Ben E King , Curtis Mayfield and stuff like that but have to be in the right frame of mind , Sunday mornings usually works for me. Its like that with all music i listen to though sometimes you just cant listen to a band and other times its like an obsession.

that's some good music. i agree with it having to be the right mood. im all about the otis redding though!
Back to top Go down
Jay
A Contender
A Contender
Jay

PostSubject: Re: Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.)   Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 6:36 pm

Soul is one of my favorite Genres. Otis Redding is actually one of my favorite musicians ever. His live performances are almost punk-like with the intensity he puts in them.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.)   Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.) Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 8:42 pm

Lately I've been listening to Buddy Holly a lot. Shame that he died so young.
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.)   Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.) Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 10:59 pm

i saw Jersey Boys in Vegas, and have been into 60's pop ever since. if you're in the right frame of mind, it's great stuff.

and also a big fan of classic soul. Sam Cooke, Sam & Dave, Otis Redding, Arthur Conley, Jackie Wilson, etc. Some of the 70's Motown stuff just pisses me off though.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.)   Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.) Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 9:29 pm

I've been binging heavy on soul the past few days.
Back to top Go down
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

PostSubject: Re: Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.)   Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.) Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 8:11 am

I've been hitting the blues pretty hard lately.

Even went as far back as Robert Johnson. That dude recorded his shit in '36 & '37 - how crazy is that?

Eric Clapton and Keith Richards totally stole this dude's style, haha, it's all good.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.)   Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 8:38 pm

This is an ancient thread, but I'm currently listening to the Million Dollar Quartet album and it's blowing my mind. Just four legends in a room laughing and playing some old gospel standards. For those who don't know what the Million Dollar Quartet is, it's an album that was never meant to be an album. Some time after Elvis left Sun for RCA he came back and jammed with Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, and Johnny Cash. Someone was a genius and decided to roll tape. It's not for everyone, but damn, it sure is for me.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.)   Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 11:49 pm

Wow I'm listening to the Million Dollar Quartet album right now! It's great. Just a relaxed jam session among friends. reminds me of the type of thing i'd do with my friends just playin around
EDIT: except i'm not johnny cash, elvis, carl perkins, or jerry lee lewis
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.)   Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 10:50 am

DeathoftheCool wrote:
Wow I'm listening to the Million Dollar Quartet album right now! It's great. Just a relaxed jam session among friends. reminds me of the type of thing i'd do with my friends just playin around
EDIT: except i'm not johnny cash, elvis, carl perkins, or jerry lee lewis
Yeah, it does make me kinda sorta wish I was Elvis.

BA-DUM TISH.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.)   Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Older music (soul, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, etc.)
Page 1 of 1