DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

mixtape: Not Soo Independent

Go down 
+3
Daire
e7c
JoshRaymond
7 posters
AuthorMessage

mixtape: Not Soo Independent Empty
PostSubject: mixtape: Not Soo Independent   mixtape: Not Soo Independent Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 10:49 pm

Hey guys, This is my very first mix tape. So bear with me. Kinda excited to see what people think about it. I tried to make it as random as I could. Hope at least a few of you enjoy these and hear something new! Feast
your ears upon...

Title: Not Soo Independent

1. I am the Party By Million Dead.

Like many of our members, I am a big Frank Turner. I enjoy his solo stuff but its nothing compared to his old band.
I feel like this song is a perfect way to start the mix, Frank's vocals gnarly and the whole intensity of this songs is amazing.

2. Big Yellow Sky by The Steelwells

Being from Orange County, CA. I decided to add a bunch of 'local' bands. The music scene in OC/LA is pretty amazing.
The Steelwells are probably the best band at the moment in OC. They have nice mi of pop, folk and alternative. They recently released an EP called Shallow on the Draft.

3. Same to You by Chris Wollard and the Ship Thieves.

I have listened to lots of HWM and Chuck Ragan's solo stuff but never realy paid attention to Chris's solo stuff until I saw an interview on youtube where Brian recommends this album. The album is pretty good and goes with my current folk-punk mood. A must listen for any HWM fan.

4. A broken Promise by Sleepercar.

I had no idea who Jim Ward was until I saw him at the Revival Tour this year. He has an amazing voice. He considers his music to me Alternative-Country but I like to simply put it as rockin'.

5. End of an Error by Red Cortez.

Really really good band from LA. They released an EP last year which you can get for six bucks on their website. Highly recommended either purchasing the album or at least down the free songs they are offering. Really excited for they first LP coming out in couple months.

6. Hands of Steel by Moostache

Another band of Orange County. You can download an entire EP for free on their website. Just listen to the singer's voice...its soo unique and wonderful for a 18year old kid.

7. What's It Worth? by Aushua

Another band from Orange County/LA. They released an EP last year. Wasn't a big fan originally but they have grown on me.

8. Retleks Retleh by Venus Infers.

One of my favorite band from Orange County. The song is a beetles cover.
I like how they spelled it backward and their band name is a reference to The Velvet Underground. One of my favorite all time bands.

9. This Ain't a Scene by The Henry Clay People

A band from LA. They played at Lollapalloza and Austin City Limits Music Festival last year. The song kinda summarizes what a bunch of 20year olds think of the LA music scene.

10Stand by Me by Yellow Red Sparks.

Many of you have heard TGA cover this song, its pretty amazing but the Yellow Red Sparks take it another level. The cover the song using a Ukulele. This Orange County band recently opened up for Frank Turner and have also opened up for Chuck Ragan before.

11. Luma Daylight- Live at Red Rocks by Sound Tribe Sector 9

This is the first song I play everyday when I wake up. An amazing Instrumental band with crazy light show.
If you like instrumental music than you are gonna love this band.

Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=W8M11C9A

Enjoy and any feedback would be helpful.

www.last.fm/user/prufrock23
Back to top Go down
JoshRaymond
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JoshRaymond

PostSubject: Re: mixtape: Not Soo Independent   mixtape: Not Soo Independent Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 12:01 am

Awesome I will be downloading when I get home from work
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: mixtape: Not Soo Independent   mixtape: Not Soo Independent Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 12:37 am

I am psyched to listen to this! I will try and find sometime to play this tape during the week and get comments back to you as soon as I can
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: mixtape: Not Soo Independent   mixtape: Not Soo Independent Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 12:55 am

Apart from Chris Wollard I don't think I've even HEAD if any of these artists! I'll deffo download this tomorro or Monday! Seems the right length too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: mixtape: Not Soo Independent   mixtape: Not Soo Independent Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 1:55 am

I tried my best to make sure that none of the songs I put up were on any previous playlist.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: mixtape: Not Soo Independent   mixtape: Not Soo Independent Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 9:22 am

i'm in the right mood for new mixtapes now, so i will be listening to it.

i checked out our last-fm similarity, it's perfect =)
Back to top Go down
WWD4D?
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
WWD4D?

PostSubject: Re: mixtape: Not Soo Independent   mixtape: Not Soo Independent Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 9:35 am

Thanks for putting Sleepercar on this. I'd never heard of them before and I just downloaded the album and so far it's great. Very Tom Petty.
Back to top Go down
blink
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: mixtape: Not Soo Independent   mixtape: Not Soo Independent Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 5:34 pm

Sleepercar is good. I also like the Venus Infers song.

Thanks for putting it up
Back to top Go down
mescalero
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
mescalero

PostSubject: Re: mixtape: Not Soo Independent   mixtape: Not Soo Independent Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 6:12 pm

the henry clay people rule.
Back to top Go down
Stevearm
Wooderson
Wooderson
Stevearm

PostSubject: Re: mixtape: Not Soo Independent   mixtape: Not Soo Independent Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 1:28 am

I'm not really a fan of Million Dead, so I wen't and looked up Frank Turner on youtube and listened to Photosynthesis and really liked it, sounds to me like his folk stuff is better
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/stevearm

PostSubject: Re: mixtape: Not Soo Independent   mixtape: Not Soo Independent Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 5:11 am

I am glad you guys like it.
The whole point of this is to discover new and different music.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mixtape: Not Soo Independent   mixtape: Not Soo Independent Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

mixtape: Not Soo Independent
Page 1 of 1