DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Grammys

Go down 
+4
Johnny99
Jukebox Romeo
Forum Owner
e7c
8 posters
AuthorMessage
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

The Grammys Empty
PostSubject: The Grammys   The Grammys Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 11:26 pm

So tonight my wife and I were watching tv and the Grammys came on. And after watching The Black Eyed Peas sing some god awful crap followed by Jamie Fox auto-tuning some god awful crap (with Slash!) I was left wondering... how in the world have TGA not been nominated or won a Grammy?!?!

ugh...
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

The Grammys Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grammys   The Grammys Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 11:31 pm

I agree, it's a sad sad world!
Back to top Go down
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

The Grammys Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grammys   The Grammys Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 11:40 pm

Yeah, I have it on while I'm doing homework, and I'm just amazed at how awful popular music has become in the last 10 years. There was some incredible music released this year, from lesser-known artists like Lucero and Frank Turner to some big names like Pearl Jam and Bruce Springsteen.

I can see the bands in the first group not getting nominations, but Pearl Jam released a really good album, their best in a long time, and they only received one nomination, and lost to Kings of Leon, who might be the biggest sellouts ever (listen to "Molly's Chambers" or "Four Kicks" from only a few years ago; some solid, roots-rock revival music that sounds and looks lightyears away from how the band sounds and looks today). It's very frustrating.
Back to top Go down
Johnny99
A Contender
A Contender

The Grammys Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grammys   The Grammys Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 12:04 am

never heard them before but that zack brown band performance was pretty awesome.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

The Grammys Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grammys   The Grammys Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 6:10 pm

oh, it's absolutely all crap. there's nothing on the grammys that would interest me. but it goes back to a discussion a few members chimed in on when people were speculating about whether gaslight would tour with green day: you love the band and want them to get enough recognition that they can do this as their day job and make enough money to support themselves but not-so-secretly want them to remain small enough to still feel like they're your secret, like their songs aren't being overplayed on the top 40 radio station and their logos aren't plastered across the shirts of teenagers across the world? admittedly its petty but i think a lot of people feel this way.
i guess that's my long-winded way of saying im fine with the world recognizing the crap music and not prostituting my favorite bands for their tacky awards shows.
(although i did tune in long enough to hear some grammy-person commenting on how unfair it is for people to work hard and create something, only to have people expect it to be given to them for free? a commentary on downloading music for free? that was pretty funny!)
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

The Grammys Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grammys   The Grammys Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 6:41 pm

I find the Grammys nauseating as well. '21st Century Breakdown' best rock album? Give me a break. And 'Working On A Dream' best solo rock voal performance? No way (and I love Bruce).

What really gets me though are the weird categories, like 'best southern Americana rock rap vocal by a classical songwriter duo' and so on.

However, if you were TGA and got a Grammy (or two or three) for 'American Slang', would you have the guts to turn it down on principle?
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
stupendoussven
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
stupendoussven

The Grammys Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grammys   The Grammys Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 7:02 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
I find the Grammys nauseating as well. '21st Century Breakdown' best rock album? Give me a break. And 'Working On A Dream' best solo rock voal performance? No way (and I love Bruce).

What really gets me though are the weird categories, like 'best southern Americana rock rap vocal by a classical songwriter duo' and so on.

However, if you were TGA and got a Grammy (or two or three) for 'American Slang', would you have the guts to turn it down on principle?

It reminds me of when I went to summer camps when I was a kid, they made up all of these categories so no kid was left without a shiny blue ribbon. As for if I was TGA, I probably would accept the award and be courteous about the entire thing, since regardless of my issues with the Grammys its still nice to be recognized.

I only watched the opening for Lady Gaga, I have a soft spot for her sue me. haha
Back to top Go down
http://sirsvenjensen.tumblr.com
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

The Grammys Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grammys   The Grammys Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 7:12 pm

stupendoussven wrote:

I only watched the opening for Lady Gaga, I have a soft spot for her sue me. haha

im not a fan of her music, but i have come around from thinking she was a bit ridiculous to admiring the way she pushes the envelope. i read a quote from her that talked about her sense of fashion and she said something along the lines of viewing it as art and expression rather than just trying to "fit in". so that part i like. i dont like having "bad romance" stuck in my head all day when i never meant to hear it in the first place!
Back to top Go down
xstevenbx
Wooderson
Wooderson
xstevenbx

The Grammys Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grammys   The Grammys Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 9:02 pm

i straight up love lady gaga. her performance at the grammys was awesome. and i think she got robbed on album and record of the year.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Grammys Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grammys   The Grammys Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Grammys
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: Other :: General Chat & Discussions-
Jump to: