DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog in

Patient Ferris Wheel

Go down 
AuthorMessage
char

Patient Ferris Wheel Empty
PostSubject: Patient Ferris Wheel   Patient Ferris Wheel Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 10:10 pm

Hi, all!

I was wondering what peoples interpretation was for Patient Ferris Wheel. I absolutly love the song but I don't know if I feel like it's more about a breakup or about sticking with your significant other during tough times.

Thanks for the help!
Back to top Go down
Charvaga

PostSubject: Re: Patient Ferris Wheel   Patient Ferris Wheel Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 10:41 pm

Pleaseeeee answer I'm dyin' here!
Back to top Go down
LaVidaLoca
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: The patient ferris wheel   Patient Ferris Wheel Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 3:27 am

Hey dudes!
Searching of the meaning of that song.
Ive read smth in the forum but there i couldnt find an answer. What do you think? Its about a break up? Whats the meaningl of the ferris wheel?
Back to top Go down
Rose1991
A Contender
A Contender
Rose1991

PostSubject: Re: Patient Ferris Wheel   Patient Ferris Wheel Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 4:25 am

oh my flipping god I just spent 40 minutes typing what I think the damn song is about and i got an error message saying that the topic doesn't exist, yet here it is. >.< FML
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Patient Ferris Wheel   Patient Ferris Wheel Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 4:30 am

So I went to merge this with the original Patient Ferris Wheel song meaning topic and realized, no one responded to that one either, so here's my interpretation of the song.

With the idea of a ferris wheel I get the feeling of someone who feels like they're just going in circles or like they're moving but not actually getting anywhere. Just in general with the lyrics it seems like this person feels trapped and like they're gonna end up at the same old bar as everyone else who never got out. I think you could also argue that in the beginning of the song, the ferris wheel metaphor is a good thing. Like they just kept moving. And then he/she has realized that if they don't get out of that cycle soon they'll be stuck in this "abyss of just what might have been" aka again, stuck in this place with everyone else who never had their dreams realized where everyone just talks about those dreams but never does anything to achieve them.

I'm less confident about the meaning behind the "standing in the Jersey rain" parts but I take that to be like either a moment of realization about where he/she is at and/or a moment of panic about it. Like the calling an ambulance idea could be like a person freaking out and feeling like they need to call an ambulance to get physical help for what is actually a mental thing, or if you wanna reach a bit more than I have already, maybe the ambulance idea is more of a need to be "rescued" from this place, or this mindset or this never ending cycle.

I don't know how correct any of that is, or if I explained it well but that's basically what I get from it.

Shows I've been to (if anyone actually cares)::

Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Patient Ferris Wheel   Patient Ferris Wheel Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 4:31 am

Rose1991 wrote:
oh my flipping god I just spent 40 minutes typing what I think the damn song is about and i got an error message saying that the topic doesn't exist, yet here it is. >.< FML

Sorry Rose! That was my bad. The topic essentially existed twice so I must've been merging them as you were typing. Hope you didn't forget everything you typed Embarassed

Back to top Go down
LaVidaLoca
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Patient Ferris Wheel   Patient Ferris Wheel Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 4:54 am

I like your Interpretation! May the line "thinking about what on an old man said / what my Mama ones said" might be the parents "warnings" for relationsships... Just like:"son, you'll see when youre old"
Great
Back to top Go down
Rose1991
A Contender
A Contender
Rose1991

PostSubject: Re: Patient Ferris Wheel   Patient Ferris Wheel Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 4:57 am

Oh, it's fine. I usually copy my posts onto the clipboard before I submit them just in case I get an error message, and the one time I neglect to do that is always the one time I get an error. It happens...nothing you can do. *shrug*

Anyway, this is what the songs is about to me: The beginning lyrics of the song seem to indicate that he and his friends are working on some kind of project, and his girlfriend wants him to take a break, but he can't because they're on a roll and have a deadline to make. And then she's mad at him, so he starts waxing poetic about the Ferris wheel and stuff and what it means to him and how going to the boardwalk always made her happy, and he knows that's what she wants to go and do, but right now he has to pour those memories into his project and share them with other people or else he'll lose his chance to make his mark. He doesn't want to become one of those people at the bar who just talk about things and don't ever do anything about them, so he's seizing the opportunity he has right now, and basically I think he's just talking about being at the crossroads of being a regular kid from a beach town and being the great artist he's always dreamed of being. He's taking his memories and making something great and meaningful out of them, but when it's all said and done they're still gonna ride the Ferris wheel and be who they always were. I might be completely off base, but when I listen to the song, that's the story that unravels in my mind.

Also, if you ever get a chance to ride a Ferris wheel at a beach at night, take your iPod with you and listen to this song. You will not regret it.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Patient Ferris Wheel   Patient Ferris Wheel Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 5:51 am

I like your thoughts on this Rose. Particularly the part about having a project with a deadline only I wouldn't go as far as to say like a specific deadline, maybe more like "we've got one shot at this, and we're on a roll right now, we can't stop or they're gonna toss us aside with everyone else who never 'made it'".

I'd actually amend my original thoughts and say rather than just the ferris wheel thing being positive in only the beginning, maybe it's positive throughout. He's talking about the lights being on, first of all, that's a positive and beautiful sight, second, that could be sort of like that idea of a light bulb representing an idea, you know? And the wheel turning like gears turning, another expression for ideas flowing. That could be a metaphor for ideas just coming to him like crazy and he doesn't want to stop.  You could actually extend that even to the end of the song where he talks about carnival lights, 4th of July, etc. "always made you smile" I'd say that could mean, him having those ideas and getting fired up always made her smile because she appreciates that aspect of him. I'm reaching again, but I think there's a few different ways you could go with this song depending on how far you want to go in the metaphor direction. I just know I get a feeling of excitement and energy that's boardering on madness and maybe that's where the ambulance aspect comes from.

I don't feel like she's mad at him in the beginning though. I think it's more like he's just using that as a way of starting the story like, he's telling her tonight is one of those nights where I am just on a roll. Not tonight could mean literally anything, I think it's just a vehicle to get us to what's going on in his head and in the song.

I'm enjoying this discussion. Believe it or not, I never thought that in depth about this song before.

Back to top Go down
LaVidaLoca
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Patient Ferris Wheel   Patient Ferris Wheel Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 6:08 am

I like that!
This song is full of power and positive energy. The things you wrote will draw a nice picture in my head when i listen to the Song next time! Thank you so much!
Back to top Go down
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
ivienco

PostSubject: Re: Patient Ferris Wheel   Patient Ferris Wheel Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 12:18 pm

I remember reading in another thread about someone who was at a sho and Brian said it is about how dead NJ gets when the tourists are gone and how they all wait for them to come back in the next season.
The thread is the Brian's Explanation Master List (or sth like that)
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Patient Ferris Wheel   Patient Ferris Wheel Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 1:44 pm

If it's literally that simple then there's a whole lot of lyrics that no longer make any sense to me. I tend to take what Brian says at shows regarding song meanings with a grain of salt. He's said some pretty ridiculous stuff before. I wish I could think of an example.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of the meaning though.

Or okay, wait. I could see it if he's talking about how the tourists come and everything seems all fun and dreams are possible when people are in town in the summer but when they leave (essentially escape), the locals are left trapped in this like abyss of just despair and unfulfilled dreams? Although I still feel like the lyrics have more detail than that.

Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Patient Ferris Wheel   Patient Ferris Wheel Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 1:51 pm

ivienco wrote:
I remember reading in another thread about someone who was at a sho and Brian said it is about how dead NJ gets when the tourists are gone and how they all wait for them to come back in the next season.
The thread is the Brian's Explanation Master List (or sth like that)

"We wrote this song in the winter time a couple years ago. It was about just today like just the kinda day where everything down here....

You guys live around, Who lives around here? ..... That's like asking ...Alex watch this.... Who was at our first show?...... That's not true, there was 20 people.
But like asking who lives around here is the same as asking who was at your first show. They all raises their hands. Hey I don't mind cause Its better than nobody raising their hand.

So what happens is when you come
around here in the summer time everything is open, and everything is kinda going around, and people are around. But then the winter time comes, and everybody leaves, and you're kinda left with the locals. Which, give or take, I'm a local.

Then you're left with this imaginary thing that will come back to life next summer. And it's kinda like what ever you're shooting for out there, you know? Everything dies in the winter.

And then you wait, keep it quiet, keep wrapped up. If you're like my friend Matty you don't turn the heat on until after thanksgiving, and I think that's weird, but that's how it is. Matty I've got some oil for you if you need it."

-Brian Fallon, Asbury Park Convention Hall Show, 12/9/11

Ndakasimba kana makisimbawo

Made the list.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Patient Ferris Wheel   Patient Ferris Wheel Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 6:45 pm

Brian's quote:
"Then you're left with this imaginary thing that will come back to life next summer. And it's kinda like what ever you're shooting for out there, you know? Everything dies in the winter."

My comment:
"Or okay, wait. I could see it if he's talking about how the tourists come and everything seems all fun and dreams are possible when people are in town in the summer but when they leave (essentially escape), the locals are left trapped in this like abyss of just despair and unfulfilled dreams? Although I still feel like the lyrics have more detail than that."

I think I was on the right track with this theory then right? I'd still argue that there's more there in the details, but we could continue to debate that for day. It's hard to know without a more detailed explanation of the lyrics from Brian. But some mysteries are fun I suppose!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Patient Ferris Wheel   Patient Ferris Wheel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Patient Ferris Wheel
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: The Gaslight Anthem :: Song Meanings-
Jump to: