DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bob Marley / Reggae

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

Bob Marley / Reggae Empty
PostSubject: Bob Marley / Reggae   Bob Marley / Reggae Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 6:13 am

I've been listening to a fair bit of reggae lately however my 'fair bit' consists solely of Bob Marley.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few people around here who were into reggae and who could point me in the right direction of some new artists.

I've also heard Damien Marley (his son) and I like that. It's more rap/reggae but it's still all good.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Bob Marley / Reggae   Bob Marley / Reggae Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 7:14 am

andy.mac wrote:
I've been listening to a fair bit of reggae lately however my 'fair bit' consists solely of Bob Marley.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few people around here who were into reggae and who could point me in the right direction of some new artists.

I've also heard Damien Marley (his son) and I like that. It's more rap/reggae but it's still all good.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Bob Marley was, in part, the soundtrack of my very late teens, because he was played so much at my boarding school.

The accoustic version of 'Redemption Song' is still among my all time favouritess.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

PostSubject: Re: Bob Marley / Reggae   Bob Marley / Reggae Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 7:17 am

I've always gotten the impression that Bob was/is huge in the UK.
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: Bob Marley / Reggae   Bob Marley / Reggae Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 8:07 am

My parents brought me up on a staple diet of reggae and soul so Bob featured a lot in our house.

I love Joe Strummers version of redemption song is fucking awesome as well and believe Cash plays guitar on it or something like that.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: Bob Marley / Reggae   Bob Marley / Reggae Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 12:52 pm

I love reggae and Bob Marley. There is a lot of great reggae beyond Marley though. Here are a few of my favorite reggae albums/artists.

Lee Perry and The Upsetters - Super Ape
The Congos - Heart of the Congos
Max Romeo and The Upsetters - War Ina Babylon
Junior Murvin - Police And Thieves (title track was popularized by the Clash)
Toots and The Maytals - Funky Kingston
Desmond Dekker - Anthology
The Heptones - Party Time
Culture - Two Sevens Clash
The Abbyssinians - Satta Massagana
Peter Tosh - Legalize It

and a lot more

for more reggae who play the old Jamaican styles of music
The Slackers
The Aggrolites
Hepcat
King Django
Westbound Train
Dr. Ring Ding
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Bob Marley / Reggae   Bob Marley / Reggae Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 3:40 pm

Check out some Maytals for sure.

Also "Police & Thieves" wasn't really popularized by The Clash. It was a popular song already, and only out for a year, so it took some guts for a punk band to cover that.

Johnny Cash doesn't play guitar on Strummer's version of Redemption Song, although there is a version where Cash and Strummer both sing. It's a great version. I've heard something like Tom Morello plays guitar on that version but I don't know if that was ever confirmed. He played some guitar on other late Johnny Cash songs so it wouldn't be a stretch.

Last edited by simo on Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: Bob Marley / Reggae   Bob Marley / Reggae Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 4:24 pm

Could you upload that version of the song as I bet it sounds amazing!

Prisoner all your recommendations are spot on Bob Marley / Reggae Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Bob Marley / Reggae   Bob Marley / Reggae Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 4:42 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGVSTsgcCvw
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bob Marley / Reggae   Bob Marley / Reggae Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bob Marley / Reggae
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: Other :: Other Bands-
Jump to: