DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Afghan Whigs

Go down 
+2
Shipyards
Reinvent good times
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Reinvent good times
A Contender
A Contender
Reinvent good times

Afghan Whigs Empty
PostSubject: Afghan Whigs   Afghan Whigs Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 2:46 pm

I thought I remember reading in an interview that The Afghan Whigs, "Black Love" was one of Brian's top 5 CD's of all time. I've loved that CD since it came out.

I listened to it again last night--Man is it good! It's easily one of my Top 5 ever. Anyone else enjoy the Whigs like I do??

Their follow up to Black Love, 1965 is very good, but not classic status.
Back to top Go down
Shipyards
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Shipyards

Afghan Whigs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Afghan Whigs   Afghan Whigs Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 7:33 am

"Black Love" is a good album but I rate the two albums that proceeded it higher- "Congregation" (1992, Sub Pop) and "Gentlemen" (1993, Elektra). Can't go wrong with either of them in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Reinvent good times
A Contender
A Contender
Reinvent good times

Afghan Whigs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Afghan Whigs   Afghan Whigs Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 10:58 am

Actually I agree that Gentlemen should be included in there. That's solid writing there. Their whole discography kills it. I've been getting into Dulli's other releases, The Twilight Singers. Pretty good stuff once again. Solid.
Back to top Go down

Afghan Whigs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Afghan Whigs   Afghan Whigs Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 12:02 pm

Question:
'It's become cliché to describe songs as "cinematic," but too bad: That descriptor applies to much of The '59 Sound, including "Miles Davis & the Cool." So you're casting the movie of "Miles Davis & the Cool." Who plays the guy, the girl, and Miles Davis looking down on it all?

Brian Fallon:
I think the guy is Paul Newman. The girl is Grace Kelly. Miles is Greg Dulli from the Afghan Whigs. Ha! I'd pay to see that.'
Back to top Go down

Afghan Whigs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Afghan Whigs   Afghan Whigs Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 11:09 pm

I recently got a copy of 1965 and I've been listening to it off and on a lot lately. Gonna have to check out their other albums!
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

Afghan Whigs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Afghan Whigs   Afghan Whigs Icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 12:21 am

just read that the afghan whigs are getting back together in may. awesome! i've really been getting into Black Love and some of the Twilight Singers albums, especially Blackberry Belle
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

Afghan Whigs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Afghan Whigs   Afghan Whigs Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 10:51 pm

http://www.rollingstone.com/videos/new-and-hot/greg-dulli-sings-leonard-cohens-paper-thin-hotel-20120124

Awesome Leonard Cohen cover. Greg looks like he has lost some weight too. Good stuff all around
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

Afghan Whigs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Afghan Whigs   Afghan Whigs Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 5:53 pm

I just got into these guys. Fucking amazing stuff...you can really see where Brian took inspiration from Dulli for Elsie.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

Afghan Whigs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Afghan Whigs   Afghan Whigs Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 5:08 am

JackStreetcar wrote:
I just got into these guys. Fucking amazing stuff...you can really see where Brian took inspiration from Dulli for Elsie.

nice dude, it's good to hear there is another fan. i can't decide whether i prefer afghan whigs or twilight singers
Back to top Go down
Reinvent good times
A Contender
A Contender
Reinvent good times

Afghan Whigs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Afghan Whigs   Afghan Whigs Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 11:47 am

Good to hear Streetcar....yeah, I agree...It's awesome to share the love of the whigs / twilight with others...

that's a good question--death of the cool--which is better--Whigs or Twilight?

I'd have to say Afghan Whigs, by virtue of their CD Black Love, but only by a hair b/c the songs Teenage Wristband and The Killer off Blackberry Belle are two of my all time faves...

Anyone else?
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

Afghan Whigs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Afghan Whigs   Afghan Whigs Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 3:46 am

Reinvent good times wrote:
Good to hear Streetcar....yeah, I agree...It's awesome to share the love of the whigs / twilight with others...

that's a good question--death of the cool--which is better--Whigs or Twilight?

I'd have to say Afghan Whigs, by virtue of their CD Black Love, but only by a hair b/c the songs Teenage Wristband and The Killer off Blackberry Belle are two of my all time faves...

Anyone else?

I personally prefer the twilight singers, i agree that those two are some of my favorites. I guess I like more polished and epic songs. Afghan Whigs are definitely more rockin and classic though. It really depends on the mood, the Whigs are more raw and sinister, like black coffee, and the Twilight Singers are sweeter and more lush sounding, but still dark
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

Afghan Whigs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Afghan Whigs   Afghan Whigs Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 9:11 pm

soooooo does anyone have any thoughts on the new album?

it didn't blow me away, but after a few plays i like it. a couple tracks i don't care for. looking forward to sitting down with the lyrics book for this one.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

Afghan Whigs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Afghan Whigs   Afghan Whigs Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 10:02 pm

MKULTRA wrote:

it didn't blow me away, but after a few plays i like it. a couple tracks i don't care for. looking forward to sitting down with the lyrics book for this one.

I completely agree. I am enjoying the middle of the album (It Kills, Algiers, Lost in the Woods, the Lottery) at the moment.
I kinda wish the album was guitar/bass/drums centric or had a little more sonic consistency, but I'm not as attached to the classic Whigs sound as some people must be, not a big deal.

The Whigs albums have really grown on me since I last posted on this thread; Gentlemen and Black Love cannot be fucked with. Those two albums, along with Blackberry Belle and Powder Burns, are Dulli's best IMO

I'm kind of realizing that it doesn't really matter at this point whether it's the Twilight Singers or the Afghan Whigs, they're just pseudonyms for Greg Dulli's music either way
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

Afghan Whigs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Afghan Whigs   Afghan Whigs Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 2:20 am

DeathoftheCool wrote:
MKULTRA wrote:

I completely agree. I am enjoying the middle of the album (It Kills, Algiers, Lost in the Woods, the Lottery) at the moment.
I kinda wish the album was guitar/bass/drums centric or had a little more sonic consistency, but I'm not as attached to the classic Whigs sound as some people must be, not a big deal.

The Whigs albums have really grown on me since I last posted on this thread; Gentlemen and Black Love cannot be fucked with. Those two albums, along with Blackberry Belle and Powder Burns, are Dulli's best IMO

I'm kind of realizing that it doesn't really matter at this point whether it's the Twilight Singers or the Afghan Whigs, they're just pseudonyms for Greg Dulli's music either way

loooove Lost In The Woods. kinda reminds me of Black Love with its vocal melodies and more laid back feel.

Lottery is a good track but for me its kinda similar to On The Corner from Dynamite Steps but less awesome.

there was an article recently where Dulli was saying how all the songs other than the opener and closer are grouped in pairs. so Matamoros (which i am digging btw) and It Kills, Algiers and LITW, and so on. Cool way to think about it and listen to it.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

Afghan Whigs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Afghan Whigs   Afghan Whigs Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 5:44 am

MKULTRA wrote:
DeathoftheCool wrote:
MKULTRA wrote:

loooove Lost In The Woods. kinda reminds me of Black Love with its vocal melodies and more laid back feel.

Lottery is a good track but for me its kinda similar to On The Corner from Dynamite Steps but less awesome.

there was an article recently where Dulli was saying how all the songs other than the opener and closer are grouped in pairs. so Matamoros (which i am digging btw) and It Kills, Algiers and LITW, and so on. Cool way to think about it and listen to it.

That is cool, the partners thing. Gotta relisten. I am also starting to really appreciate the final three songs, especially the transition from Royal Cream to I Am Fire, then These Sticks as this ominous, Street Spirit by Radiohead type closing track.

And oh man, The Lottery I'd put on par with On the Corner, the mix of the groove and melody on the "let it be my lady" part, and then that euphoric chorus with the echoing guitar lines make me really like it.
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

Afghan Whigs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Afghan Whigs   Afghan Whigs Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 11:18 am

I came here looking to see which albums to start on as I've heard a fair bit about this band...I'm guessing its Black Love and Gentlemen then?
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

Afghan Whigs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Afghan Whigs   Afghan Whigs Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 1:13 pm

The Last Jukebox Romeo wrote:
I came here looking to see which albums to start on as I've heard a fair bit about this band...I'm guessing its Black Love and Gentlemen then?

i'd say so. 1965 has some great tracks as well, particularly in the first half. Congregation is great too, but i didn't get into it until a bit later.
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

Afghan Whigs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Afghan Whigs   Afghan Whigs Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 3:46 pm

MKULTRA wrote:
The Last Jukebox Romeo wrote:

i'd say so. 1965 has some great tracks as well, particularly in the  first half. Congregation is great too, but i didn't get into it until a bit later.

alright then cheers...i'll give them a listen tonight.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

Afghan Whigs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Afghan Whigs   Afghan Whigs Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

Never realized the Whigs opened Somethin' Hot with Heaven on Their Minds from Jesus Christ Superstar. That is so perfect
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Afghan Whigs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Afghan Whigs   Afghan Whigs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Afghan Whigs
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: Other :: Other Bands-
Jump to: