DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Washington DC Review

Go down 
+9
e7c
Maureen973
Vibes
TonyRockyHorror
J_Schooly
Reinvent good times
steady now steady now
ktp
TGAFAN25
13 posters
AuthorMessage
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

Washington DC Review Empty
PostSubject: Washington DC Review   Washington DC Review Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 3:27 am

Tonight was the best night of my life. I'm going to tell the entire story, just so you can understand how great it was and the Gaslight Anthem will be there don't worry, just hang with me...

Left the apartment at 3:30, wearing my blue jeans and white t-shirt.... got a haircut. I asked her to cut it short, I didn't ask her to make me bald. When I say, I mean BALD, we're talking painfully bald, you're gonna get skin cancer on the top of your head bald. Unreal. I'm pissed, I spent 20 bucks to look horrible.

Get on the metro, go to downtown DC (china place and china town) just to bum around.... Buy a starbucks frappucino, end up spilling the entire thing all over my white t-shirt. FUCK. now i have to go buy another white t. head into urban outfitters where i cant find a god damn white t-shirt. im heated. finally, i see a where the wild things are stand, i just saw the movie and absolutely loved it, so i buy a shirt of my favorite character (carol, for those of you who might be wondering)....

Get back on the metro to the U-Street stop where I picked the perfect restaurant that has the "best gumbo" in town... I get there only to find that they took gumbo off their menu, change plans, go to another restaurant...

I order my food and have a vodka and red bull, i finish, have another vodka and red bull and ask for the bill. The douche bag doesn't tell me that he put absolut in the drink, so my two drinks and stir fry run me $45. I'm pissed.

I walk over to the 9:30 club, get there 40 minutes before doors open and am picking up my tickets, I turn around from the wil call booth and see Brian walking outside the front. I walk up to him, thank him for the great music, and he's with one of their buddies who helps them on stage Ian. Ian asks me about my shirt and about the movie, I tell them it's awesome and they ought to see it if they have a chance. I ask Brian how they manage to play 7 nights in a row (tonight is night 2 of 7) and he attributes it to his sobriety and the vitamins he takes. Then we take a picture together and I ask him one last favor- if he could please play 1930.

Brian was incredbily cordial and nice, I've read stories about him being a great guy and I'll completely confirm it. It was almost like talking to somebody I've known for awhile. He doesn't have any of the rock star bravado he could have, especially with the way GA is starting to really take off. It was amazing to meet such a humble and genuinely great person.
Washington DC Review Photo11

Get into the show, up front and pretty much center. GA was incredible. They played pretty much the same set they've played all tour. I've never been to a better concert and I've been to about 100 shows. THe way the band and the crowd connect is unlike anything I've ever seen, the passion from the fans and the band's energy are un-paralled.

Washington DC Review Photo210
Washington DC Review Photo310

Anyways, the show was unbelievable, I had hoped they'd played 1930, but I assumed he'd just forgotten and that was cool, the set was fantastic anyways... So everyone is chanting Gaslight Anthem and the band comes back for their encore!

As soon as Brian thanks the crowd for coming, he goes "Earlier today before the show I met a kid named Ryan out front. He asked if we could play 1930, so this is for him. Do you know where the wild things are? So wherever you are, this one's for you"

They shredded 1930, and during the song, he found me in the front row, smiled and pointed at me. I almost wish I had died right then and there because it was one of the greatest moments of my life. After the show, Ian, Brian's buddy found me as I was amidst the sea of people leaving and told me "The band wanted you to have this" and he gave me their set list.

Washington DC Review Photo411

I cannot thank the Gaslight Anthem enough for their kindness and for what they did for me tonight. It was easily the best night of my life. I've never had an experience like this at a concert and I doubt I ever will. They are the best band in the world because beyond their fantastic, inspirational, deep and emotionally moving music, they're real, genuinely kind people.

THANK YOU GASLIGHT ANTHEM and more specifically Brian and Ian!! you guys are the greatest!

This was literally, the best night of my life. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Back to top Go down
ktp
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ktp

PostSubject: Re: Washington DC Review   Washington DC Review Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 4:35 am

great write up! sounds like you had an ace on &! loving the new t-shirt too! glad a crappy day turned out so much better for you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ktpland.blogspot.com
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Washington DC Review   Washington DC Review Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 4:57 am

great story; great pics (even the blury one's have atmosphere); wild t-shirt !!; always good to get confirmation why I think they are such great guys
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Reinvent good times
A Contender
A Contender
Reinvent good times

PostSubject: Re: Washington DC Review   Washington DC Review Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 12:02 pm

Loved the recap. Great story. It doesn't surprise me at all, from how I perceive Brian in all his interviews. The "I'm just grateful to play in front of people for a living" is totally real and he's not artificial in anyway, and this is a validation of that.

Let's be real--TGA gets 'it'. They are successful b/c of the fans supporting them. They aren't prima donnas or have the rock star bravado, they enjoy music, people and the relationships that intertwine.

Agreed--they are great band, and sounds like great people.
Back to top Go down
J_Schooly
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Washington DC Review   Washington DC Review Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 12:22 pm

Show last night was incredible. Third time seeing them this year, and it bested both Philly in March and Towson in May.

Sound was outstanding, and the band was in top form—Brian's vocals, particularly. They were intense but still having a fun, it seemed.

Show was about 85 minutes, ended just after midnight. In addition to the setlist shown above, they added "Navesink Banks" after "Expectations." Encore was:

"1930"
"Blue Jeans & White T Shirts"
"Trusty Chords" (Hot Water Music cover)
"Say I Won't (Recognize)"

Other notes:
—Brian flubbed the lyrics to "Elvis" midway through and sang the "bah bah bah" part for a few bars before picking it back up again.
—He talked about getting a new tatoo on his leg earlier in the day and wandering around D.C. buying CDs.
—Right before "Recognize" he said: "We'll be back next year … with a new record." He emphasized it will be on SideOne.
—"Drive" was introduced as "The first song we wrote together" (and it KILLED).
—"Angry Johnny" had the "Straight to Hell" tag during the bridge.
—"Recognize" included a tag of The Animals' "House of the Rising Sun."

Awesome, AWESOME show!
Back to top Go down
TonyRockyHorror
A Contender
A Contender
TonyRockyHorror

PostSubject: Re: Washington DC Review   Washington DC Review Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 1:15 pm

Must have died on my way to the show, but it was surely heaven when I got there.

Gaslight playing "Trusty Chors" is one of the greatest things I have EVER seen.
Back to top Go down
http://dclivetracks.com
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: Washington DC Review   Washington DC Review Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 1:39 pm

Hey Tony, how'd the bootleg come out?
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
TonyRockyHorror
A Contender
A Contender
TonyRockyHorror

PostSubject: Re: Washington DC Review   Washington DC Review Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 1:41 pm

Just now sitting down to check it all out. I did get full audio and video(in 3 parts, because the camera can only record so much video at a time; it is a still camera after all, with a video function tacked on.).
Back to top Go down
J_Schooly
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Washington DC Review   Washington DC Review Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 2:49 pm

Washington Post rock blog has a brief review up here that's mostly positive:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postrock/2009/10/the_gaslight_anthem_live_last.html#more
Back to top Go down
TonyRockyHorror
A Contender
A Contender
TonyRockyHorror

PostSubject: Re: Washington DC Review   Washington DC Review Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 3:34 pm

My video came out better than I expected. You do hear me scream my damned-fool head off during and after "Trusty Chords," but I'll make no apologies on that one. I had tears rolling down my face during that one. I was overwhelmed.

Audio came out REALLY well. I just need to tweak my EQ profile a bit. Gimme a few days to get that together, get the tracks cut, and the art made. You won't be disappointed. I promise. Smile

I'll be uploading the videos tonight, though.
Back to top Go down
Maureen973
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Washington DC Review   Washington DC Review Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 4:02 pm

Thats a great story! Thanks for sharing.

Its so nice to see a band that goes above and beyond for their fans. So many bands are unwilling to budge on their setlists. But Gaslight gladly adapts for their fans.

Hearing about all these great shows makes me want to leave my desk and hit the road again!
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Washington DC Review   Washington DC Review Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 5:51 pm

Hey I was at the show too! I saw you a few times... I was the tall guy in the kilt
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: Washington DC Review   Washington DC Review Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 7:19 pm

i missed the kilt, but that's awesome. we're you up front and center?
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Washington DC Review   Washington DC Review Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 7:26 pm

yep, although I did spend a lot of time in the pit. (although I must say moshing to songs from The '59 Sound is a little odd)
Back to top Go down
aceart
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Washington DC Review   Washington DC Review Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 11:53 pm

ok, I'll admit it was my first show ... but what a show. Great, great stuff! I've been playing the heck out of the album for some time now and had the chance to be able to shoot for the band/management that night. I hope I wasn't too much of a pain in the ass to you regulars.

It was a real pleasure to be there for the whole thing. Enjoyed the other bands as well but yeah ... I could have stood another TGA set if they wanted to play a while longer. I'm a local and have memories of 930 F St. so just because it was my first Gaslight show doesn't mean it was my "first" lol.

If anyone is interested, I'll have pics on my website at some point (I'll give you a heads up) I'll post a few here but the bulk is going to management and hopefully on te band's site.

Extremely happy to have gone to the show ... can't wait for the next one!
Back to top Go down
TonyRockyHorror
A Contender
A Contender
TonyRockyHorror

PostSubject: Re: Washington DC Review   Washington DC Review Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 3:24 pm

rkirkpatrick25 wrote:
Tonight was the best night of my life.

You got a shoutout that comes out pretty clear in the recording i made.

Audio posted!

https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com/audio-f6/recording-the-gaslight-anthem-washington-dc-10-22-2009-t1422.htm#18499
Back to top Go down
aceart
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Washington DC Review   Washington DC Review Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 3:57 pm

Tony, thanks loads for this. Nice to have my first TGA show. As soon as I send off some of the things I shot that night I'll post my attempt at cd art, if anyone's interested. Will post a couple of the nice ones here as well as soon as I figure it all out.
Back to top Go down
TonyRockyHorror
A Contender
A Contender
TonyRockyHorror

PostSubject: Re: Washington DC Review   Washington DC Review Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 3:59 pm

aceart wrote:
Tony, thanks loads for this. Nice to have my first TGA show. As soon as I send off some of the things I shot that night I'll post my attempt at cd art, if anyone's interested. Will post a couple of the nice ones here as well as soon as I figure it all out.

That's cool. I do ask that you keep the art I have posted with it embedded in the files and in the zip file, if you pass it along to someone else, though. Up to you, but I would appreciate it. Smile
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: Washington DC Review   Washington DC Review Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 8:34 pm

Love the cover art, will definitely keep it if I make a copy for anyone! Thanks again!!!
Back to top Go down
aceart
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Washington DC Review   Washington DC Review Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 9:06 pm

TonyRockyHorror wrote:
aceart wrote:

That's cool. I do ask that you keep the art I have posted with it embedded in the files and in the zip file, if you pass it along to someone else, though. Up to you, but I would appreciate it. Washington DC Review Icon_smile

No problem, I understand completely ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aceartanddesign/4056414249/
Back to top Go down
xstevenbx
Wooderson
Wooderson
xstevenbx

PostSubject: Re: Washington DC Review   Washington DC Review Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 8:37 pm

Sorry for bumping this, I haven't been here in a while. I thought this write up of the show was really great! I'm glad you ended up having a good time. At least all the shit you went through was worth it in the end.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Washington DC Review   Washington DC Review Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 3:13 pm

nice review. i cant believe they not only played 1930 for you and remembered your name, but also went out of their way to get the set list to you. sounds like an awesome night. minus the haircut lady and the bartender charging you way too much. absolut is their well? otherwise they should have asked, or have no business charging you that much!
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson
tdawg

PostSubject: Re: Washington DC Review   Washington DC Review Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 7:04 pm

What an awesome experience! I can't wait for TGA to swing South again.
Back to top Go down
http://www.utdallas.edu/~dat054000
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Washington DC Review   Washington DC Review Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Washington DC Review
Page 1 of 1