DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

bradcooke's Summers Over Mix. Aug 31

Go down 
+2
lynchyeatspizza
bradcooke
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bradcooke
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

bradcooke's Summers Over Mix. Aug 31 Empty
PostSubject: bradcooke's Summers Over Mix. Aug 31   bradcooke's Summers Over Mix. Aug 31 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 8:33 am

http://www.mediafire.com/?m2jd4y4mdnq

Track Listing:

01 - The Offspring - Jennifer Lost The War - I put this in just to piss off all you people that continue to listen to the Offspring. Remember when they used to be good? I had to go back to 1989 too. Haha. They had some potential...

02 - AFI - God Called In Sick Today - This is my favorite song of ALL time. I'd be hard pressed to even admit another song in my top ten just because there could potentially be so many. This however there is no question. It does it for me everytime regardless of my mood, which can be tough these days. The whole Black Sails in the Sunset album is unreal. Even just the title of this song is awesome.

03 - Spinnerette - Valium Knights - Brody Dalle is Amazing. The Disillers were Amazing. And while a bit of a change in style has left us with less of that throaty Brody we have always loved, Spinnerette is definitely worth checking out. This track is on the Ghetto Love EP and for whatever reason didn't make it to the full length, but its my favorite new track of hers thus far. (This also just reminded me that I forgot to put TAT on this mix. I think if you like this and the Distillers sound that you'd like TAT. Especially the track Sympathetic Lies)

04 - Tiger Army - Sea of Fire - My favorite band from the Psycho-billy genre. Although they've started getting away from that sound, I love the direction they've taken things. They're not afraid to slow it down, and at times that stand up bass is just thumping (Thumping maybe not the right word, but you get it)

05 - City and Colour - Sleeping Sickness - This track features Gord Downie from the Tragically Hip. These are two of my favorite Canadian singers and songwriters pretty well hands down. And then to have them on the same track just seems to fit so perfect.

06 - Damian Marley - It Was Written - I've been a Damian Marley fan for awhile now but for whatever reason this CD (Halfway Tree) had eluded me. I just started listening to it and I can't seem to get away from this track.

07 - She Wants Revenge - These Things - This isn't my favorite She Wants song but odds are it will probably be yours. A lot of similarities with Interpol and of course Joy Division. A little bit more of a techno/dance vibe though at times. There's some really clever lyrics with this band and I highly recommend also checking out Tear You Apart, Someone must get hurt, Checking out, and Written in Blood.

08 - Jane Vain and the Dark Matter - C'mon Baby Say Bang Bang - A local band here in Calgary. They won a radio competition in 07 and haven't made it much past that. Reminds me of a Metric/Cranberries kind of track.

09 - Tragically Hip - Opiated - What Canadian mix would leave the Hip off right? This one goes back to 89 and isn't very well known but to this day remains my favorite Hip song.

10 - The Nightwatchmen - Until The End (Live Axis of Justice Concert) - If you didn't know, The Nightwatchmen is Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine. He started the Axis of Justice with Serj Tankian a few years back and this is from the concert they put on. This track appears on his first album One Man Revolution, but i think this version shows the real emotion in the song.

11 - Interpol - Stella Was A Diver and She Was Always Down - Do I need an explanation for this one? Sooooo good.

12 - Gogol Bordello - Super Taranta! - I know someone already put Gogol Bordello in their mix but it had to be done. I thought this song might show a slighlty different, more energized side of the group and give a taste of what you could expect when seeing them live. SEE THEM LIVE!!

13 - Sparta - Tensioning - I really like bands that put a lot of emotion into what they're doing. Often times how you sing things is more important than what you are actually singing about. I love Jim's voice on this track, and the build up "and the sky could fall..." If you liked Sparta you gotta check out Sleepercar too. That's his new soleesque project.

14 - Jaydiohead - Dreaming Up - Yup that's right. Radiohead meets Jay Z. Not much unlike the Grey album from a few years back, but i think Radiohead fits with Jay Z better than the beatles did. Someone put out a whole album of the mashups so if you like either band i'd recommend checking out the whole album.

15 - Women - Black Rice - Another local Calgary band. My friend is actually the drummer. Not sure how popular they are around the world or if anyone's heard of them. It'd be cool if someone had. I belive they've opened for Beck even in the past. They got a weird sound going on, this song doesn't fully give their diversity and their album borders on strange and very strange. Had to put it on though for some exposure for them. Hope you like it.

16 - Blackalicious - Alphabet Aerobics - For all the haters of rap and hip hop. Rap may have some simple concepts in terms of song structure and what not, but this song goes to show that A LOT can be done in a simple concept.

17 - Pennywise - Bro Hymn (Original) - I lied above. This would be top ten for sure. This song means so much and although i've listened to it countless times its still a good reminder of whats important and who's important in life. No matter how bad things get, just remember the people that care about you. An homage to Pennywise as we likely won't see them again after the recent departure of their lead singer.

XX - Bonus Track - Its an 8 minute live track that I didn't want to take up room on this disc, but its DEFINITELY worth checking out. The Nightwatchmen makes an appearance...

Last edited by bradcooke on Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
lynchyeatspizza
Wooderson
Wooderson
lynchyeatspizza

PostSubject: Re: bradcooke's Summers Over Mix. Aug 31   bradcooke's Summers Over Mix. Aug 31 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 3:54 am

Thanks Brad, bout to download now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lynchy911
mescalero
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
mescalero

PostSubject: Re: bradcooke's Summers Over Mix. Aug 31   bradcooke's Summers Over Mix. Aug 31 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 1:43 am

i totally concur on the blackalicious tune. i'm definitely not "into" rap, but especially w/that song, blackalicous kills it. that's real talent.

tiger army is pretty much the same in the rock-a-billy department... can't really say that i like many artists from that genre, but w/ their newer stuff moving towards a different sound, i'm digging it.

i remember being excited about the nightwatchman, but it took a while for him to put that album out, and i wasn't as stoked when it finally did, so i actually haven't heard anything of his until now. i remember being a big audioslave fan back in the day (saw one of their first shows in hollywood and saw them a few years later in long beach, ca, where they played some songs from soundgarden and rage). can't say that i can really get into the acoustic side of mr. morello, if only because he was so original at what he did w/his previous bands.

even though i usually don't really like bands w/female singers, i think that "c'mon baby, say bang bang" will grow on me. good description of that song btw, totally agree.

oh, and yeah... do people still listen to the offspring? i remember them being really "cool" in high school, but it seems like they were getting really gimmicky (e.g. "pretty fly (for a white guy)"). i remember thinking that i liked the "smash" album, though.
Back to top Go down
bradcooke
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: bradcooke's Summers Over Mix. Aug 31   bradcooke's Summers Over Mix. Aug 31 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 2:26 pm

Thanks clashrock for the feedback. I'll admit that the Nightwatchmen won't touch his work with Rage and Audioslave but ya gotta be fair. Both those bands were on some pretty high pedestals. Listen to Lazarus on Down Feat. Serj Tankian. That track shows a lot of potential.
As for the Offspring, apparently people are still listening to them. I really just have no explanation for that though haha.
Back to top Go down
thecosmickid
Wooderson
Wooderson
thecosmickid

PostSubject: Re: bradcooke's Summers Over Mix. Aug 31   bradcooke's Summers Over Mix. Aug 31 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 4:44 pm

You can't really compare nightwatchman with his other work, I really like RATM but nightwatchman is amazing to, his way of being a folk singer seems original too somehow.
Back to top Go down
mescalero
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
mescalero

PostSubject: Re: bradcooke's Summers Over Mix. Aug 31   bradcooke's Summers Over Mix. Aug 31 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 6:56 pm

you're right, morello in rage and audioslave compared to the nightwatchman it is kinda like comparing apples and oranges. although, i do prefer apples to oranges, so i guess that explains my assessment.
Back to top Go down
talley
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: bradcooke's Summers Over Mix. Aug 31   bradcooke's Summers Over Mix. Aug 31 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 12:37 am

Dang it man, I was hopin to bust out The Nightwatchman on my mixtape next week, oh well... pretty good stuff though
Back to top Go down
rivercities
A Contender
A Contender
rivercities

PostSubject: Re: bradcooke's Summers Over Mix. Aug 31   bradcooke's Summers Over Mix. Aug 31 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 2:24 am

city and colour is just great, good mix tape
Back to top Go down
bradcooke
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: bradcooke's Summers Over Mix. Aug 31   bradcooke's Summers Over Mix. Aug 31 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 12:15 pm

talley wrote:
Dang it man, I was hopin to bust out The Nightwatchman on my mixtape next week, oh well... pretty good stuff though

Do it! There's tons that i wanted to put on. Lazarus, lights are on in spidertown, whatever it takes, the road i must travel...

Plenty of room. I technically used him twice Smile
Back to top Go down
talley
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: bradcooke's Summers Over Mix. Aug 31   bradcooke's Summers Over Mix. Aug 31 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 1:44 pm

Oh i used him, dont worry about that, i put maximum firepower and one man revolution on mine
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: bradcooke's Summers Over Mix. Aug 31   bradcooke's Summers Over Mix. Aug 31 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

bradcooke's Summers Over Mix. Aug 31
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: Other :: Mix Tapes-
Jump to: