DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Travelling :)

Go down 
+15
Daire
theBasemen
andy.mac
Jaywalk
thecosmickid
lynchyeatspizza
tdawg
Forum Owner
kieran
Emyr
simo
ktp
Palmer89
steph
Vibes
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Travelling :) Empty
PostSubject: Travelling :)   Travelling :) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 10:34 am

i just saw, that such an topic didn't exist yet and for i am a person who loves travelling around i thought i just might start a discussion

so, what countries and cities have you been to? which are your favourites and which can you recommend to others?
i am going to start: when i am travelling i expect some kind of perfect mixture of relaxing (going at the beach), culture and adventure and i prefer backpacking because you don't have to spend that much money Wink

i have been to:
- the philippines; my mothers originating from there
- the u.s.; new jersey, new york, massachusetts, florida, maryland
- austria; of course, because i live here
- germany; only bavaria, but munich is a really cool city and i love the "oktoberfest"
- italy; more than 50x, because the borders is only 10 minutes away and the food is the best in the world to me
- slovenia; it's the same with italy, the border is only 10 minutes away from my parents house
- croatia; has the most beautiful coast line i have ever seen
- greece; another beautiful country with lots of amazing beaches
- hungary; like austria land-locked, but the people there are some of the most kind in the world
- the u.k.; of course london, one of the most exciting cities in the world and kent
- france; totally love paris and the food over there
- belgium; the food is bad but the cities and the culture are overwhelming
- netherlands, no mountains, but appreciate the dutch people as the most liberal in the world (in my opinion of course)
- czech republic; wow prague is definitely one of the most exziting cities in the world

countries i soon will be vivisting:
- sweden; a really good friend of mine is goin to be there for one year and i already told him that i wanted to visit him in stockholm
- japan; this year at university we had an exchange student from japan in our flat and we were alle really connecting together so we decided to come and visit her next year during easter
- australia; i decided to study marine biology somewhere over there and now i am planning everything, it's totally my dream country

now some things i have to mention extra, because I think everyone should have seen it:
- tuscany; ok if you are into culture and landscapes, you should totally get there, it's like a huge open air museum
- florence; what can i say, i love that city and have been there three times, the unesco estimates that nearly one tenth of all cultural treasures worth being protected are to find only in florence :O
- pisa; of course have been climpbing on the "pending tower"
- paris; to me shares the titel of "most amzaing city in europe" with london,
- london; i like the multicultural flair and the poeple over there, they are really nice
- new york; that's one stunning city, wow
- croatia; it once again have to mention the coast line down there and the ocean, they are so beautiful, i have worked there two summers now and i love it, only exception is the food, because i am vegeterian and i bet no other people on the world eat that much meat like croatians
- philippines; the only "third world" country i have ever been to, but i feel at home there, because the poeple are that much friendly and open to anyone and the nature is awesome.
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: Travelling :)   Travelling :) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 12:33 pm

My favorite place that I've been in the world is Japan. I went to Toyko for two weeks about three years ago and it changed my life. Such a beautiful place in such a small amount of space. I can't wait to go back.

I really want to go to London and take a look around. There's so much history there, I've got to explore London
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com

PostSubject: Re: Travelling :)   Travelling :) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 2:17 pm

we're going to see tokyo, osaka, kyoto, kobe and ishikawa-prefecture next year and i am already looking forward to it Smile
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Travelling :)   Travelling :) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 2:56 pm

damn, im jealous. i have yet to travel beyond north america. sad in comparison with your list!
Back to top Go down
Palmer89
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Travelling :)   Travelling :) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 2:59 pm

I've been abroad from the Uk once...to Florida...when I was 5.

Not great at all, am now 20, don't even have a passport and the furthest from home i've been is Edinburgh, and that was even with my parents.

Want to get away to mainland europe with the girlfriend after uni finishes this next year for a week or 2, that involves me saving lots and actually getting a passport though.

There's SO many places i'd get to if I had the money and time.
Back to top Go down
ktp
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ktp

PostSubject: Re: Travelling :)   Travelling :) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 3:05 pm

i love travelling and it's made a bit easier with the fact that i get sent away with work quite a bit so i get to visit places on expenses and make my trip a bit longer while i'm out there and explore!

pleases i've been are:
- india - i lived in bangalore for a year and have also travelled to mumbai, kerela (beautiful), pondicherry (a mix of india and france!), delhi (grubby but ace!), agra for the taj mahal (wow), rjasthan - jaipur, jodhpur, pushkar, jaislamer (rajasthan is a fantastic state, lovely way to see india), hydrabad & gujarat. I love india so much, it's hard work at first, took me about a month to get into it and get over the culture shock, but after you get over that it ruddy brill!!
- florence - go with work twice a year but beautiful! stunning buildings and scenery
- pisa - only quickly went to see the tower before i flew home
- paris - been for work and pleasure. not my favourite place in the world but it's quite nice. my boyfriend took me for valentines day which was ace and love the moulin rouge.
- berlin - only been once for work but will hopefully go back soon so explore it properly. it looked cool!
- barcelona - i think it had been hyped up a bit too much before i went but it was still really lovely and the weather was great. loved the fact that the beach and centre are so close to each other.
- alicanti - we went as a last minute holiday and wasn't great! never done a beach holiday before and my bloke and i were just bored!
- amsterdam - only been once for work but will definately go back asap! such an ace ace city and such a laugh!
- stockholm - again, only been with work but seemed very clinical and clean! want to visit sweden properly one day cos it's somewhere i don't know much about.
- prague - ace city!
- usa & canda - new york, alaska, toronto, vancouver, oregon, california, texas, pennsylvania, love then all. really like visiting the staes. got some mates out there cos mum & dad did a teacher exchange to oregon so it's always a fun trip going back!

i want to go to:
russia, japan, china, australia, new zealand, hawaii, south america, africa the list is endless!

VIBES - london's ace! been living here 3 years now and it's great! such a cool city, a bit on the expensive side but worth it!

GRAZER - looks like you've got some ace places lined up! Japan and Oz?! I'm jealous, great job opportunity too!

PLAMER & STEPH - plenty of time to travel now. As soon as you get going you'll get bitten by the bug and never look back!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ktpland.blogspot.com
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Travelling :)   Travelling :) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 3:12 pm

ah, the problem with trying to travel now is that im also trying to get through with school. im sick of where i live already, i was trying to move to oregon before fall semester started, but turned out it would have pretty much tripled the cost of school. i should only have two more semesters til i can get my associates degree, then i definitely plan on moving...but for now im unhappily stuck here. cant wait to get through school and be able to move around and travel!
Back to top Go down
Palmer89
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Travelling :)   Travelling :) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 3:30 pm

I've applied for my passport, damn it, at least then I have a chance to go abroad, one of the things stopping me is the whole me not getting a passport.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Travelling :)   Travelling :) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 3:31 pm

I've never left the country although I'm hoping to get a chance to go to the UK (England or Ireland) for a semester in college.

I've been to the following states though:
MO, IL, KY, TN, GA, AL, FL, NY, NJ, PA...I think that's it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Travelling :)   Travelling :) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 3:58 pm

@ steph
i've been 4x times to the us and i love north america, it's sad i didn't yet have the opportunity to go to canada.
and i totally want to go there again, i think the east-coast is rly cool (haven't been to the west-coast yet, but i want to go to washington). my granny and a lot of my relatives emigrated from the philippines to the u.s. and i have spent some months with her in jersey, new york and the east-coast.
but i also want to see aspen, missouri, georgia and some other places...

@ ktp

wow you have also got a little around...
india... that's where i want to get too.

i didn't make a list with the destinations i want to get to, because it would never end.
but some of the places i have never seen yet and i am interested the most are: iceland, bhutan, yemen, uzbekistan, india, indonesia (borobudur), cambodia (angkor wat!!!), uganda, peru and a lot more Smile

but i have to admit it's a lot easier for me to go other places, beacuse austria is such a small country and as i already mentioned, the borders of our neighbour countries aren't really far away and within 5 hours of driving, i could reach 10 different countries.

if someone of you ever decides to come to europe:
1. come visit me in graz (as long as i am still living here i would host you Wink)
2. do interrail (you buy a special train-card and for some time you can use any train in whole europe, it's awesome i did that as graduatian-travel)

Last edited by Grazer on Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Travelling :)   Travelling :) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 4:06 pm

@ ktp

london is a little on the expensvie side? you can totally say that. i once went to harrods beacuse i thought it would be the perfect location to buy something for my parents. i had 40 pounds left over and didn't buy anything, because it wasn't enoug, even though that's a lot of money

but i guess, that wasn't the right place to look for some souvenirs Very Happy

i really like england, except for the fact, that there are no mountains Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Travelling :)   Travelling :) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 6:27 pm

I've been to most places Brits usually go in Western Europe. I want to go all over but finances and lack of someone to viably go with makes it impossible at the moment. All I want to do before I hit 30 is see as much of the world as possible. It must be great being in a band (or to have a job live you've got ktp!!!!!) and getting a record company (or other company!!!) pay for you to go all over the place.
Back to top Go down
ktp
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ktp

PostSubject: Re: Travelling :)   Travelling :) Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 6:57 am

@grazer - if you ever need some handy hints about india drop me a pm and i'll send you a loongs message about info about where to go and what to do etc. i love getting people into india cos they're never disappointed!
Back to top Go down
Emyr
A Contender
A Contender
Emyr

PostSubject: Re: Travelling :)   Travelling :) Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 3:31 pm

I contemplated making a travel thread. Nice to see someone else had the same idea.

However, I can't really add much to the conversation. I have dreams of traveling in the future, infact I definitely intend to. But the only places I've been to outside of Britain are Paris, which was beautiful, and Finland twice - Tampere and Helsinki. I love Finland. It's so clean and green. Smile

I've always wanted to go to Canada.
But mostly I want to go to Japan and China.
And I'd like to go to Moscow and Stockholm.
Back to top Go down
http://emmaprew.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Travelling :)   Travelling :) Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 5:29 pm

@ ktp

if i ever have the chance to go to india, i will definitely write you a pm. but i don't think this is going to happen in near future.
until then i will have to satisfy myself eating indian food Smile

@ emyr
i think it's awesome you've been to finland. my sister has been in norway few weeks ago and she liked it a lot and maybe these two countries share some similiarities...
and i've heard there are no other people in europe that drink that much alcohol than the finnish...

oh yeah canada, i would want to go to nunavut and it's capital iqaluit Smile
my best friend spent 4 months in montreal but i didn't have the time to visit him.
Back to top Go down
Emyr
A Contender
A Contender
Emyr

PostSubject: Re: Travelling :)   Travelling :) Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 4:40 am

I went to a beer festival in Helsinki, I still have a beer mat from it and it has a graph on it which shows the only country which drinks more beer than Finland is Ireland, and the UK is third. Haha.
I'd like to go back there, plus visit other Scandinavian countries too. But then there's places I want to go more, not enough time and money. >.<
Back to top Go down
http://emmaprew.blogspot.com
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: Travelling :)   Travelling :) Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 11:37 am

I have done a fair bit of travelling for a twenty year old or at least I think so. Obviously I have been round a lot of the UK to.

South Africa and Namibia- Did a road trip with my Aunt who lived in cape town up to Namibia and spent time there.

Australia - I took a gap year in 2008 and decided to do a big trip with some money I had left to me from my Grandad and thought he would approve to it made sense. Saw/did some amazing things, met new people, discovered the Gaslight Anthem and really had a amazing time. It was my first time away from home for any extended period of time and I learnt a lot about growing up very quickly. Trips like this defiantly help shape you as a personto an extent. Went to Sydney, Adelaide, Melbourne, Byron Bay, Dawin, Perth and all the smaller places inbetween!

Hong Kong - Spent a week wondering this fantastic city before hitting Australia. New foods, sights smells was quite an attack on the senses.

Japan - Spent a week and a bit in and around Tokyo and what Zack has already said pretty much sums up my experience about the beauty contained in such a small place you head down a backstreet and bam shinto shrine its stunning.

Sweden - I have been on many many trips to Sweden so I wont bore you but its really a cool place very friendly and having friends that live there take you to all the cool little spots is always fun. Beautiful in the summer to especially south Sweden.

Norway - Stunning landscapes what more can be said.

France - Been many a time being English its easy to get to.

Spain - Our very good friends have moved out there so been twice to Badajoz and Olivenza.

Portugal - Our friends in spain are pretty much on the boarder so have spent a lot of time in eastern portugal (Avora, Elvas, Villa Viscosa etc) but have also been to the Algavere which was mostly horrible and full of package holiday tourists.

Germany - My cousin is half german and lives out there so have been to see him a few times.
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: Travelling :)   Travelling :) Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 12:22 pm

Not bad kieran!

Here is a small lis for me:

LONDON, UK - One day, and many, many stopovers!
FRANCE - All over (Paris, Montpellier, Belfort, Grenoble)
SWITZERLAND - Geneva
PAKISTAN - Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad, Peshawar, Haripur Hazara
IRAN - Isfahan, Shiraz, Tehran, Masouleh, Rahst
SAUDI ARABIA - All over
US - Northern, Carolina's, San Fran, Florida
CANADA - All over
OMAN - Muscat
DUBAI
QATAR - All over
BURKINA FASO - Ougadougou, Ouhigouya
ITALY - One day, from France
SPAIN - One day, from France
LEBANON - Beirut, Tripoli
SYRIA - Damascus, Hams, etc.
JORDAN - Passed through quickly
GERMANY - Frankfurt, Tubingen
Back to top Go down
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson
tdawg

PostSubject: Re: Travelling :)   Travelling :) Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 12:30 pm

I haven't been many places. Traveling costs money, something I never really had. Downside to being in the Americas is that you gotta to pay to fly over an ocean to get anywhere that isn't South Smile

Canada - Victoria Island, BC
Japan - Sayama City, Tokyo, Akihabara, Hakone
US - lotsa places

Places I want to go... Mexico (I could practically walk there), Russia, Poland, Vietnam, anyplace I've seen on Rick Steve's Travels in Europe Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.utdallas.edu/~dat054000
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: Travelling :)   Travelling :) Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 12:33 pm

Kropotkin wrote:
Not bad kieran!

Here is a small lis for me:

PAKISTAN - Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad, Peshawar, Haripur Hazara
IRAN - Isfahan, Shiraz, Tehran, Masouleh, Rahst
SAUDI ARABIA - All over
OMAN - Muscat
DUBAI
QATAR - All over

All places I would love to go especially Iran was going to go this summer but luckly I didnt given the current situation unforuntly. It seems whenever you wait to go to these places something happens same with me wanting to go to Israel.
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson
tdawg

PostSubject: Re: Travelling :)   Travelling :) Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 1:28 pm

I never really had a drive to go to Iran, but definitely Iraq. Friggin' cradle of civilization! I'd love to see all the history that's there. Hopefully after the dust settles from all this crap, there'll be some still left.
Back to top Go down
http://www.utdallas.edu/~dat054000

PostSubject: Re: Travelling :)   Travelling :) Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 2:22 pm

@kieran: aroadtrip through south-africa and namibia? sounds awesome
how are the people down there?

@kropotkin: wow that's a list
it's cool you have been to so many arabian countries.
i totally want to see iran, because i think muslim and persian culture and architecture are very interesting. and you can even go skiing there Smile
i'd like to see yemen and syria too.
Back to top Go down
lynchyeatspizza
Wooderson
Wooderson
lynchyeatspizza

PostSubject: Re: Travelling :)   Travelling :) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 5:09 am

I'm off to Syndney tomorrow. (it's not out of the country, but it's still awesome). To run in the City to Surf, the worlds biggest run.with my school. Can't wait! I'll be back on Tuesday. Speak to you all then:P
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lynchy911
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: Travelling :)   Travelling :) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 7:16 am

I was in Germany for awhile and for the past 2 weeks my daughters have been on and off sick and hospitalized ... that's why there is no me around for now!

I will catch up soon - some things don't change though, like, TGA rules!

kropo
Back to top Go down
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com
ktp
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ktp

PostSubject: Re: Travelling :)   Travelling :) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 7:57 am

kroporkin - aw no hope they're better now? welcome back tho!

lynchyeatspizza - good luck with the run and hope you get some time to relax too!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Travelling :)   Travelling :) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Travelling :)
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next