DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN]

Go down 
+8
Vibes
bradcooke
e7c
koolmcr
tdawg
Jukebox Romeo
Forum Owner
stupendoussven
12 posters

What did you think of stupendoussvens mixtape?
Five Stars: It was a rad collection of bands
stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN] Vote_lcap13%stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN] Vote_rcap
 13% [ 1 ]
Four Stars: Will definitely check out most of the bands
stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN] Vote_lcap13%stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN] Vote_rcap
 13% [ 1 ]
Three Stars: It was ok, I guess
stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN] Vote_lcap63%stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN] Vote_rcap
 63% [ 5 ]
Two Stars: Stupendoussven's stupid mixtape!
 13% [ 1 ]
One Star: Dont quit your day job pal
stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN] Vote_lcap0%stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN] Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

AuthorMessage
stupendoussven
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
stupendoussven

stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN] Empty
PostSubject: stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN]   stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN] Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 2:12 am

Part Uno: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E7DQL0D1
Part Dos: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P2O5LK9Z

Tracklisting:

1)Belt - Say Anything - I honestly believe the Max Bemis is one of the better song writers of this era, he writes these lyrics that are unlike anything I have really heard from an alternative rock band in this day and age.

2)New Eyes Open - The Draft - The lyrics to this song stood out to me, as I interpreted them as describing a broken relationship, being a child of divorce I could relate, but its not sad, its an upbeat punk tune about better tommorows.

3)Hot Soft Light - The Hold Steady - I first heard stuck between stations on the MLB 2k8 soundtrack last year, not kidding, so I went and got Boys and Girls In America and I instantly took a liking to this song. The infectious heavy guitar riffs that it has plus awesome lyrics make for a terrific song.

4)Back To Oregon - Broadway Calls - I saw BC for the first time at Warped last year and they were awesome, they only played to about 20 people, but they gave it their all. This song exemplifies what they do, and that is make honest, good pop punk music.

5)Choice Hops and Bottled Self Esteem - Bayside - If a punk/alternative rock band covered a Smiths/Morrissey song, this is what it would sound like.

6)Hospital Beds - Cold War Kids - The really dark piano chords in the beginning really suck you into this song. Its really lovely how the song equates living your life to being in a hospital bed sometimes.

7)John Wayne Gacy, Jr. - Sufjan Stevens - A hauntingly beautiful song about the life of serial killer John Wayne Gacy Jr.

8)You Really Got A Hold On Me - She & Him - Zooey Deschanel Has an awesome voice and this has to be one of the greatest covers I have ever heard.

9)In The Aeroplane Over The Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel - This song is just wonderful for kicking back on a large field and daydreaming.

10)Rubella - Smoking Popes - Infatuated with someone of the fairer sex? listen to this song and If you have more than one of the symptoms described, congratulations you're in love. I really dug this band primarily because they have this sound which roughly what the Smiths would sound like if they were less new wave and more pop punk

11)Tapin' Up My Heart - Mr. T Experience - I got into this band through a friend, mainly because I thought any band with Mr.T in its name has to make some really kick ass music, as it turns out they did. Making earnest pop punk about girls, relationships and everything else a young me at the time could relate to.

12)I'm a Loner Dottie, a Rebel... - The Get Up Kids - I remember I broke up with this girl when I was about 14 and all I did for the rest of that night was listen to Something To Write Home About on repeat until I fell asleep, ever since then I have been a huge TGUK fan.

13)Consumed By Laziness - Hot Rod Circuit - I was not huge on HRC, although their name being a simpsons reference was part of the draw to them, they played solid indie punk rock for lack of a better term. I happened to catch this being played acoustically on video on YouTube like two years ago. Its a really laid back song about how a relationship just drowned in a sea of apathy.

14)The Science of Selling Yourself Short - Less Than Jake - First LTJ song I ever heard and my introduction to the ska genre as a whole, it was on a mix that my best friend gave me in high school, I instantly fell in love with its reggae feel and those trumpets. gotta love the trumpets.

15)If looks could kill - Camera Obscura - It has a great motown soul vibe to it, and I have a soft spot for that entire genre, so I couldn't leave it off this mix.

16)Fear and Loathing on Long Island - Latterman - Hunter S. Thompson references are always awesome, although not as heralded like say Hot Water Music, Its a great song about the general ups and downs of life and how you just have keep moving ahead

17)A Praise Chorus - Jimmy Eat World - The song I associate with the entire year of 8th grade, it was a good song then, but when I got older and understood the references in the "praise chorus" that made it terrific.

18)Confessions - City & Colour - I remember being not to enthralled by Dallas Greens main band alexisonfire but I was given a copy of Bring Me Your Love, and I was hooked, he has a sound similar to Iron & Wine with a tinge of Clapton.

19)Godspeed - Jenny Lewis - Jenny has a phenomenal voice. A great song about domestic violence and how the victim has to go it alone, I love putting this song on at night and just drifting off to sleep while it softly plays.

20)The Weight - The Band - One of the very first songs I ever heard, I remember listening to this song sitting in the back of my parents car on those long weekend drives. this song got me into music period.

Last edited by stupendoussven on Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://sirsvenjensen.tumblr.com
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN]   stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN] Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 5:19 am

Looks groovy - will start listening now!

Thanks! More soon!

KropO
Back to top Go down
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN]   stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN] Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 5:43 pm

lots of good bands on here and a few i've been meaning to check out. but are Cold War Kids really that good? i listened to Hospital Beds after Brian wore their shirt for the Cleveland show, and it was weird. people rave about them though
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson
tdawg

PostSubject: Re: stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN]   stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN] Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 6:02 pm

Looks good! I've heard some of Cold War Kids' stuff, and I think they're pretty great.
A Praise Chorus... such a great song. That one takes me back a ways! Wasn't it on Bleed American?
Back to top Go down
http://www.utdallas.edu/~dat054000
koolmcr
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
koolmcr

PostSubject: Re: stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN]   stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN] Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 6:22 pm

You Really got a hold on me is great song, She and Him do it perfectly. And Choice hops and Bottled Self Esteem is one of my favorites off The Walking Wounded. I'm liking that Cold War Kids song as well..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN]   stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN] Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 9:02 pm

o gosh

i wanted to put "science of selling yourself short" on my mixtape too Wink
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN]   stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN] Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 9:34 pm

Less Than Jake was the first real concert I ever went to! I have seen them live about 20 times!

The first show was at a place called Planet Nova in northern Virginia... the place was packed... 50 people

oh and there was a girl in the band
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN]   stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN] Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 10:13 pm

that's cool... i've only seen them twice Very Happy
Back to top Go down
stupendoussven
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
stupendoussven

PostSubject: Re: stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN]   stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN] Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 11:02 pm

Jukebox Romeo wrote:
lots of good bands on here and a few i've been meaning to check out. but are Cold War Kids really that good? i listened to Hospital Beds after Brian wore their shirt for the Cleveland show, and it was weird. people rave about them though

Well in my opinion CWK are kind of an acquired taste, they wont draw you in with on the initial listen but after a while you start to get into it and appreciate the music they are making. But Hospital Beds is the exception I got hooked on it almost as soon as I heard it
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN]   stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN] Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 5:02 am

stupendoussven wrote:
14)The Science of Selling Yourself Short - Less Than Jake - First LTJ song I ever heard and my introduction to the ska genre as a whole, it was on a mix that my best friend gave me in high school, I instantly fell in love with its reggae feel and those trumpets. gotta love the trumpets.
jsyk, LTJ features a trombone and a tenor saxophone. no trumpets Wink
Back to top Go down
bradcooke
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN]   stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN] Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 8:25 am

You beat me to City and Colour. I'm from Canada so we hear it tons obviously.
Super chill and you gotta be kinda in the mood for him but he's got an amazing voice. Death of Me and Sleeping Sickness gotta be notables at least on his last album
Back to top Go down
stupendoussven
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
stupendoussven

PostSubject: Re: stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN]   stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN] Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 9:47 am

Jukebox Romeo wrote:
stupendoussven wrote:
jsyk, LTJ features a trombone and a tenor saxophone. no trumpets Wink

Gotta love my instrument fail haha
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN]   stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN] Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 11:39 am

Science of Selling Yourself Short was one of my first LTJ songs too. I loved them for years but recently fell out of love just due to changing musical tastes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN]   stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN] Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 2:07 pm

the tour I first saw LTJ on was when they had just put out Pezcore!

...I'm so old.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN]   stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN] Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 4:18 pm

stupendoussven wrote:
Jukebox Romeo wrote:

Well in my opinion CWK are kind of an acquired taste, they wont draw you in with on the initial listen but after a while you start to get into it and appreciate the music they are making. But Hospital Beds is the exception I got hooked on it almost as soon as I heard it

I've been meaning to check Cold War Kids out too. Hopefully this will give me a reason/chance to.
Back to top Go down
mescalero
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
mescalero

PostSubject: Re: stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN]   stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN] Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 9:31 pm

So cool that someone else is into Smoking Popes. I know they have definite influences from The Smiths, but they still have a very original sound. Cold War Kids are good as well, I checked them out after they put out the Record Store Day exclusive "Live at Fingerprints", which has grown on me.

I can't say that I feel the same about Say Anything, but it seems like everyone who likes them REALLY likes them.

Oh, and She & Him is surprisingly good.
Back to top Go down
colmillionaire
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
colmillionaire

PostSubject: Re: stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN]   stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN] Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 4:12 am

hot water music is a bukowski reference i thought. love seeing broadway calls on here, every show that i went to in portland i always saw the bassist. rad mix!
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Colmillionaire
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN]   stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN] Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 3:50 pm

so im way behind on the mixtapes, but finally got around to downloading and giving them a listen. i love "new eyes open," that song is the ringtone on my phone right now, haha. i like the guitars in the bayside song, but the rest of it is just too pop-punk/hot topic band for me. i like the hold steady song alright, and i can see the cold war kids growing on me, its not something i loved immediately, but yeah. glad you put she&him on here, i heard this song awhile back and liked it, but listening to it again on this mixtape, im liking it even more, and ill give the rest of their music a listen. i also really liked the neutral milk hotel song. i remember hearing the band name a long time ago and thinking "what a stupid band name," and never actually listening to them, so im glad you put this song on the mixtape! i really like the smoking popes song, too, i think the only other song of theirs i know is something from the "clueless" soundtrack, "need you around" was the song. i always liked that song. and jimmy eat world, god, theyre so catchy. are they pretty well known? theyre from the same town as me.
Back to top Go down
lynchyeatspizza
Wooderson
Wooderson
lynchyeatspizza

PostSubject: Re: stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN]   stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN] Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 6:04 am

G'day Mate, Nice mixtape you got there. I won't go into detail in every song but ill mention every one. There's some I love, some that are alright, but none i hate.
There were a fair few songs I already have though.

1)Belt - Say Anything - Absolutely awesome song! THis band's alright, but this is easily my fav song by them Smile

2)New Eyes Open - The Draft - Already heard it, pretty sweeet. Got the album.

3)Hot Soft Light - The Hold Steady - Got the album. One of their best tracks.

(So far, you're mixtape is awesome!, although nothing new to me yet)

4)Back To Oregon - Broadway Calls - A new one! A good song although I dont love his voice, a bit mainstream, but in the prechorus (i think) where you can hear the gruffness on the edges its awesome!

5)Choice Hops and Bottled Self Esteem - Bayside - The voice is a bit poppunky for me, but the guitars are pretty mad (especially the solo!!!!!!), and the chorus reminds me of Nightwish lol.

6)Hospital Beds - Cold War Kids - This was going on my next mixtape Sad lol. I got into them a while back, and there's a few awful songs ont heir two albums, but this, Hang Me Up TO Dry and We Are The Vacation are fuckin brilliant!

7)John Wayne Gacy, Jr. - Sufjan Stevens - WOW. amazing. it's sad, quitet. beautiful. eary. I'm checking this guy out!

8)You Really Got A Hold On Me - She & Him - I didnt love it, mostly because i couldnt get into her voice..

9)In The Aeroplane Over The Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel - heard this song on another Mixtape. It's good, so i'm checkin gout this band.

10)Rubella - Smoking Popes - Alright song, heard of these guys before but havnt had a listen.

11)Tapin' Up My Heart - Mr. T Experience - Again, alright song, didnt love it though.

12)I'm a Loner Dottie, a Rebel... - The Get Up Kids - As above.

13)Consumed By Laziness - Hot Rod Circuit - You're on a roll with these as aboves.

14)The Science of Selling Yourself Short - Less Than Jake - AWESOME SONG! I've loved these guys for years and this is up there with their best. Anthem is one of my favourite summer albums!

15)If looks could kill - Camera Obscura - Nice catchy song. I love the vibe it gives off Smile

16)Fear and Loathing on Long Island - Latterman - I think this song pretty much sums up Latterman, it rocks, the voice is harsh, horse and amazing and

17)A Praise Chorus - Jimmy Eat World - A nice catchy song, pretty good. Favourit album by them is Clarity.

18)Confessions - City & Colour - I love city and colour. I couldnt get into Alexisonfire, but City and Colour just work well. Loved a few songs on thier album, The Girl was my Fav.

19)Godspeed - Jenny Lewis - Pretty amzing song, I love the cover artwork. A nice suprise when i played the song on my ipod! I close my eyes when i listen to this song, its amazing.

20)The Weight - The Band - You've heard Brian's version of this song yeah??? I'm guessin you have, but I was suprised you didnt mention it in this write-up. A nice song, i actually hadnt listened to the original. It's good Smile

Thanks for the Mixtape! Most of the bands I knew, but there were some good new ones! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lynchy911
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN]   stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN] Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2009 6:45 pm

Hey Sven, thanks for putting this together.

My favorite new song on here was from The Draft. Great song, I'll need to check them out.

Broadway Calls is a new favorite as of a few weeks ago. I'm really digging their sound also.

Cold War Kids is a tricky band for me. I loved Hospital Beds but the rest of that album to me was utter crap. Not a fan at all.

Less Than Jake, Anthem was a great album. I had a good long run listening to them but have since moved on. I still love their music from time to time.

I liked the She & Him song, the Latterman song and of course The Band. The Last Waltz is an incredible and a very sad album (considering it was their last show togther)

Thanks for putting this together. I have it three stars. Cheers man.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN]   stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN] Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

stupendoussven's stupendous mixtape 7/13 - 7/18 [POLL NOW OPEN]
Page 1 of 1