DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

High Lonesome

Go down 
+24
Stevearm
Suitcases
Reinvent good times
steady now steady now
Daire
Vibes
thomas94
liveit
Jukebox Romeo
MANUTDxXx16
Matt Days
ambrose
Forum Owner
Elsa-Whoaa
A_Regular
dandangoose
drunken_third
laurendelore
hyperballad
billy pilgrim
JoshRaymond
PatientFabiWheel
Stalls_Standing
e7c
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

High Lonesome - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Lonesome   High Lonesome - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 9:49 pm

There are also 2 possible references to "I'm On Fire" in "The Patient Ferris Wheel".

-"Not tonight, not tonight, honey I am on fire, I can't feel a single thing but the weight of the wires."

-"Not tonight, not tonight, honey I am on fire, if we don't come through, they're gonna bury us alive."

And that "bury us alive" line might be a reference to "Meeting Across the River", or at least the ideas present in that song.

Also, "Meeting Across the River", "Meet Me By the River's Edge"?
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: High Lonesome   High Lonesome - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 3:14 am

good finds Romeo!
Back to top Go down
rhg5010

PostSubject: Re: High Lonesome   High Lonesome - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 2:55 pm

In "Say I Won't (Recognize)"...

-So come on before we get much older, and that could happen any one of these nights.

From The Who's "Baba O'Reilly"...

-Let's get together, before we get much older... Teenage wasteland.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: High Lonesome   High Lonesome - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 5:19 pm

From "Say I Won't"

"Call up your girlfriends to come out tonight, I'll call up my best friends come out tonight"

"Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)"-Springsteen
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: High Lonesome   High Lonesome - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 5:20 pm

and the carnival mentions in Say I Won't, The Patient Ferris Wheel, and The Backseat probly have something to do with the carnival theme present on Springsteen's first few albums
Back to top Go down
liveit
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: High Lonesome   High Lonesome - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 6:06 pm

I think the carnival mentions have a ton to do with where Brian is from. Growing up in Red Bank and being close to the ocean....near Asbury Park....those places have that carnival sort of thing going on....he said that that's what Senor and The Queen is mainly about, summer time in Jersey, "back then".
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: High Lonesome   High Lonesome - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 8:14 pm

true, and that's probly why Bruce mentioned it so much as well
Back to top Go down
liveit
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: High Lonesome   High Lonesome - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 11:51 pm

Exactly.
Back to top Go down
thomas94
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
thomas94

PostSubject: Re: High Lonesome   High Lonesome - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 12:08 pm

Never seen a band using that many references like Gaslight actually do, especially here.

Last edited by thomas94 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: High Lonesome   High Lonesome - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 1:42 pm

Julianne wrote:
"all hope abandon, ye who enter here"

its also written on some door in the movie, The Boondock Saints

The door actually says "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: High Lonesome   High Lonesome - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 3:32 pm

All hope abandon sounds so much better than abandon all hope!

Funny eh!
Back to top Go down
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: High Lonesome   High Lonesome - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 3:37 pm

my friend thinks that's a dirty line, because he talks about "entering", and the sign is over the bed...

he has issues
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: High Lonesome   High Lonesome - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 4:43 pm

I think that line might come from somewhere else, coz my (old) English teacher used to quote it from time to tim as All Hope abandon ye who enter here. And he doesn't strike me as a Gaslight fan.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: High Lonesome   High Lonesome - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 7:04 pm

Dante's Inferno bro
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: High Lonesome   High Lonesome - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 8:55 am

Jukebox Romeo wrote:
Dante's Inferno bro

It is indeed from the H.F.Cary's English translation of Dante's Divine Comedy. But don't read the passage, if you'be already got the blues.

Through me you pass into the city of woe:
Through me you pass into eternal pain:
Through me among the people lost for aye.

Justice the founder of my fabric mov'd:
To rear me was the task of power divine,
Supremest wisdom, and primeval love.

Before me things create were none, save things
Eternal, and eternal I endure.
All hope abandon ye who enter here.

Such characters in colour dim I mark'd
Over a portal's lofty arch inscrib'd:
Whereat I thus: Master, these words import.

Dorothy L. Sayers translated it as "Lay down all hope, you that go in by me", which doesn't have the same ring, although you can still make it fit the tune.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org

PostSubject: Re: High Lonesome   High Lonesome - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 1:32 pm

To me High Lonesome, although it is my favourite Gaslight song, lacks the 'meaning' of some of the others. Anyone else think the same?

Last edited by Tomaldo on Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: High Lonesome   High Lonesome - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 1:33 pm

I don't think it's nearly as personal but there is meaning. "I always kind of sort of wish I was someone else" says a lot. We've all felt that. If there's one message in the song, that's it, I think.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com

PostSubject: Re: High Lonesome   High Lonesome - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Vibes wrote:
I don't think it's nearly as personal but there is meaning. "I always kind of sort of wish I was someone else" says a lot. We've all felt that. If there's one message in the song, that's it, I think.

Definately. I see that as the underlying meaning of the song. I'm glad it wasn't just me thinking it wasn't as 'personal'. To me it's written as if the protaganist is watching the events, rather than being directly involved and connected to them.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: High Lonesome   High Lonesome - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 1:51 pm

the verses don't have a lot of substance really, but i do love the line: "The pounding in the street was your heart in 4/4 time, and the taste of defeat was never too far from your mind". kinda like Wherefore, this song isn't as much of the storytelling kind as it is about feelings and moods

and it's great live when he sings "At night I wake up with the sheets soaking wet"
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: High Lonesome   High Lonesome - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 4:45 pm

Jukebox Romeo wrote:
and it's great live when he sings "At night I wake up with the sheets soaking wet"

this worked a treat at Hyde Park, especially when he got to "maybe you know the rest"
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: High Lonesome   High Lonesome - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 4:04 am

so, I don't think we've discussed this before, but what do you guys think the "powder on the bar" actually is? based on the context of the rest of verse, I would have to say it refers to cocaine, though this doesn't seem like Brian to write about that or to use cocaine

however, he has said that a lot of songs on '59 aren't necessarily about him, but are about the people he knows and grew up with. also, Brian doesn't drink, but the line right before the "powder on the bar" line talks about "getting drinks for the same boys who once bought you everything," so the whole verse could be about someone else

however, it was just that one time, that one night, and only to get by, so maybe Brian did crack just that one time, that one night, only to get by???
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: High Lonesome   High Lonesome - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 9:30 am

I dunno if it's about him specifically, but I can't think of anything else it could be apart from cocaine.
Back to top Go down
Reinvent good times
A Contender
A Contender
Reinvent good times

PostSubject: Re: High Lonesome   High Lonesome - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 2:38 pm

I've had difficulty figuring out the meaning behind some of their songs, but high and lonesome is easy (I think). It's about a girl who graduated HS and is now bartending in the same town. SHe didn't go away to college or find herself, she's just tending bar. She feels a bit embarassed that she never made anything of herself, esp b/c she was hot in HS, and "gravity came And stole the temple that the schoolboys praised". So in order to get by and desensitize her embarassment b/c former friends / students are there, she'll do cocaine, just this one time. She ends up going home with someone and the uncomfy walk to a one night stand is described as "boots they make a high and lonesome sound".
Feasible, right?
Back to top Go down
Suitcases
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: High Lonesome   High Lonesome - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 3:50 am

Reinvent good times wrote:
I've had difficulty figuring out the meaning behind some of their songs, but high and lonesome is easy (I think). It's about a girl who graduated HS and is now bartending in the same town. SHe didn't go away to college or find herself, she's just tending bar. She feels a bit embarassed that she never made anything of herself, esp b/c she was hot in HS, and "gravity came And stole the temple that the schoolboys praised". So in order to get by and desensitize her embarassment b/c former friends / students are there, she'll do cocaine, just this one time. She ends up going home with someone and the uncomfy walk to a one night stand is described as "boots they make a high and lonesome sound".
Feasible, right?

That's the best explanation I've seen so far...
Back to top Go down
Stevearm
Wooderson
Wooderson
Stevearm

PostSubject: Re: High Lonesome   High Lonesome - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 8:17 pm

hm I always thought it was "patter on the bar" like, when people do little drum beats on a table or something
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/stevearm
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: High Lonesome   High Lonesome - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

High Lonesome
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next