DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mix Tape Guidelines

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

Mix Tape Guidelines Empty
PostSubject: Mix Tape Guidelines   Mix Tape Guidelines Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 11:01 am

I have learned about all of my favorite bands through my friends... My best friend Mark got me listening to Rancid 15 years ago, my friend Beau got me in to Against Me! and I learned about The Gaslight Anthem through my buddy Andrew... so to help spread around good music we have decided to start up a mix tape club! Here are the basic guidelines:

1. Make a mix tape of your favorite music... if you like Reggae put some reggae on... if you like punk put some punk on... if you like The Spice Girls then put The Spice Girls on. This is your mix, there is no right or wrong band to put on it.

2. Each tape is just a six song EP, this way people will have the time to listen to your mix... and I you will get more feedback this way.

3. Make sure you label the songs

4. Do a little write up about why you put this album together

5. We are only doing one album per week, this way people get a chance to listen to the music

6. If you want to do a mixtape that is cool, we will choose someone each week to do it; however if you did not write any feedback on the previous tape then don't expect to be choosen.

Last edited by e7c on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed tape length from 74 minutes to 6 songs)
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Mix Tape Guidelines   Mix Tape Guidelines Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 1:16 pm

I have decided to add a poll to each mixtape; however, I will not put the poll up until after the mixtape has been up for a week so people can actually listen to it before voting.

Also, if you post a mix tape and it doesn't score highly, please don't take this personally. Music is very personal and opinionated and while we all love TGA here, we also know that they draw in a very diverse group of fans and don't expect everyone to like what you like.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mix Tape Guidelines   Mix Tape Guidelines Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 6:12 pm

e7c wrote:
I have decided to add a poll to each mixtape; however, I will not put the poll up until after the mixtape has been up for a week so people can actually listen to it before voting.

Also, if you post a mix tape and it doesn't score highly, please don't take this personally. Music is very personal and opinionated and while we all love TGA here, we also know that they draw in a very diverse group of fans and don't expect everyone to like what you like.

This is a good idea, I especially like it now I've seen the descriptions that go with each rating. I am convinced, however, that when it is my turn my mixtape is going to get absolutely slaughtered. I'm not too bothered though 'cos as you said in the second paragraph (which I couldn't have put better myself), it's all personal taste, and not a personal reflection on the person who contributed the tracks!
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Mix Tape Guidelines   Mix Tape Guidelines Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 6:14 pm

i don't think anyone on here's gonna tear you apart. we're all pretty nice, and since you listen to TGA, that means the other stuff you listen to is probly pretty good too
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mix Tape Guidelines   Mix Tape Guidelines Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 9:42 am

Jukebox Romeo wrote:
i don't think anyone on here's gonna tear you apart. we're all pretty nice, and since you listen to TGA, that means the other stuff you listen to is probly pretty good too

We shall see! I wouldn't expect any personal attacks of course, I just think that I listen to besides Gaslight is a bit different from everyone else (judging by the other bands forums- I hadn't heard of Against Me! until I joined up on here)- and I could viably see some tracks on my tape getting hammered (by UK users in particular- outside UK maybe a bit different)!

That's the point of the exercise though really isn't it- trying to get people to listen to stuff they might not normally listen to, so at the end of the day it's all good! Like Brian says- if people like our music, that's cool, and if they don't, that's cool too.
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: Mix Tape Guidelines   Mix Tape Guidelines Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 4:45 am

Tomaldo wrote:
Jukebox Romeo wrote:

I could viably see some tracks on my tape getting hammered (by UK users in particular- outside UK maybe a bit different)!

As long as its not the Ting tings you should be fine Laughing

Im making a similar mix to last time so I doubt people will really dig it but at least they can say they tried something new.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mix Tape Guidelines   Mix Tape Guidelines Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 4:56 am

Don't worry, no Ting Tings.
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: Mix Tape Guidelines   Mix Tape Guidelines Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 4:40 am

Also, no Rapidshare, please!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: Mix Tape Guidelines   Mix Tape Guidelines Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 6:47 am

Just finished sorting the tracks for mine I have everything from African blues music to soul and alternative rock stuff. The responses are going to be intresting to say the least :p
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: Mix Tape Guidelines   Mix Tape Guidelines Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2009 6:04 pm

Here are some tips for people who are meticulous about their iTunes (or whatever program you use) libraries staying in tact. This is specifically so if the person's playlist had the correct album names, you can keep the songs you'd like, keep them organized and get rid of the rest.

1. Create a new playlist entitled "Whoever's Playlist"

2. Drag the songs into that playlist. They will be added to your iTunes library too

3. Listen to all of them, star them from 1-5. I usually keep songs that I've rated 3 stars or higher

4. After you've rated all of the songs, hold Command or Control (depending on if you have a Mac or PC) and click all of the songs that are rated 1 or 2 stars, or ones you want to get rid of.

5. After you've selected the ones that you DON'T want, go up to Edit at the top of your computer screen and edit the information of ALL of the tracks. Change the album name to something you'll remember like CRAP FROM MIXTAPE or something general like that.

6. Go to your iTunes library and search for whatever you just named that new album.

7. Delete all of those tracks and boom, you're clear of the bad tracks with the good tracks' information still in tact.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mix Tape Guidelines   Mix Tape Guidelines Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mix Tape Guidelines
Page 1 of 1