DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Old Man Shoes?

Go down 
+10
hostutca
tigrr13
talley
steph
LBAZ
e7c
surfNJ
liveit
billy pilgrim
andy.mac
14 posters
AuthorMessage
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

Old Man Shoes? Empty
PostSubject: Old Man Shoes?   Old Man Shoes? Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 12:42 am

Hey,

In either one song or a few (can't remember) I've heard Brian talk about his 'old man shoes'

Just wondering if you guys thought this was his Dad's shoes or like literally 'old man shoes'?

Not a huge deal, just curious.

Last edited by evil_romantic on Mon May 18, 2009 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
billy pilgrim
A Contender
A Contender
billy pilgrim

Old Man Shoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Man Shoes?   Old Man Shoes? Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 12:44 am

I have always wondered this same thing.
Back to top Go down

Old Man Shoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Man Shoes?   Old Man Shoes? Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 5:13 am

It could mean the fact he's following in his father's footsteps. I know in an interview once he mentioned that where he grew up people were expected to whatever their father did. So, for example, if your father worked in a factory, you were expected to go an work in a factory. This seems a plausible explanation to me, so in the sense of your question evil_romantic, it could mean in the sense of following in his father's footsteps.

Alternatively (Gaslight is never straightforward) I have often seen Brian wear a 'classic' (don't know how to describe it) shoe even when he's in jeans and a tshirt, so it could mean this, and the reference be a fashion/style one.

Or he simply could mean both! I'd be interested to see what others make of this though.
Back to top Go down
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

Old Man Shoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Man Shoes?   Old Man Shoes? Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 5:40 am

Yeah. I've got a major hunch about him following in his father's footsteps.

I think remember that interview. Was that the one where he said when he was younger he remembered his Dad smelling like biscuits after he'd finished work?

I mean a pair of an old man shoes might be comfortable and warm in the winter but it's not very rock n roll though.
Back to top Go down

Old Man Shoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Man Shoes?   Old Man Shoes? Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 8:58 am

evil_romantic wrote:
Yeah. I've got a major hunch about him following in his father's footsteps.

I think remember that interview. Was that the one where he said when he was younger he remembered his Dad smelling like biscuits after he'd finished work?

I mean a pair of an old man shoes might be comfortable and warm in the winter but it's not very rock n roll though.

Brian's family history seems all over the place. I've heard him speak about his dad in one interview/while on stage and then in another say he never knew him?!?!

As for 'Old Man Shoes' not being rock and roll, it depends on who you're judgin rock and roll against. One of the more 'classic' rock artists Brian had said he likes (say Tom Waits?) might wear them? Alternatively, he may be saying in the sense of he's his own man; he's saying 'I'm wearing Old Man Shoes, so what?'

All depends on how you interpret it on a personal level really.
Back to top Go down
liveit
A Contender
A Contender

Old Man Shoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Man Shoes?   Old Man Shoes? Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 9:50 am

Tomaldo wrote:
It could mean the fact he's following in his father's footsteps.

I think if you look at it in context, it for sure means this- goes along with the story, and the theme in many of their songs......as far as a Dad, he does have a stepfather, I think that's who he's referring to in interviews etc. Someone who raised you- easy to call them a father/mother, rather than a stepfather/mother.....
Back to top Go down

Old Man Shoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Man Shoes?   Old Man Shoes? Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 10:42 am

liveit wrote:
......as far as a Dad, he does have a stepfather, I think that's who he's referring to in interviews etc. Someone who raised you- easy to call them a father/mother, rather than a stepfather/mother.....

I didn't know that, and good point.

I always thought 'Old Man's Shoes' meant following his fathers footsteps, but I suppose with the Gaslight Anthem you can never be 100% sure!
Back to top Go down
surfNJ
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
surfNJ

Old Man Shoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Man Shoes?   Old Man Shoes? Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 12:39 pm

Ha, I always pictured Brian walking around wearing some old worn in Velcro shoes, but I definitely have to agree with the idea of following in his fathers footsteps.
Back to top Go down
liveit
A Contender
A Contender

Old Man Shoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Man Shoes?   Old Man Shoes? Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 1:51 pm

Ha! You're killing me-in context it has to be following in someone's footsteps......
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

Old Man Shoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Man Shoes?   Old Man Shoes? Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 3:49 pm

Old Man Shoes? Imgp1010

Walking in my old man's shoes, with a smile in my heart
I got a stuff'd bunny and a binky and I cry in the dark
Back to top Go down
LBAZ
A Contender
A Contender
LBAZ

Old Man Shoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Man Shoes?   Old Man Shoes? Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 3:53 pm

liveit wrote:
......as far as a Dad, he does have a stepfather, I think that's who he's referring to in interviews etc. Someone who raised you- easy to call them a father/mother, rather than a stepfather/mother.....

Very true. I call my Stepdad, Dad and call my biological Dad by his first name. Sort of makes it easier to understand although it confuses my friends a lot. Although, my stepdad did not raise myself or my younger brother but I think it comes from being comfortable with that person to consider them a 'father figure' which is view that Brain seems to has developed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/nomies_alien_lover
liveit
A Contender
A Contender

Old Man Shoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Man Shoes?   Old Man Shoes? Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 8:00 pm

That's an awesome picture!! She's happy as can be too, being in those shoes!!! Looks so warm where you are, freezing up here!
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

Old Man Shoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Man Shoes?   Old Man Shoes? Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 10:10 pm

that is such a cute picture
Back to top Go down
talley
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Old Man Shoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Man Shoes?   Old Man Shoes? Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 10:50 pm

So is she askin for the cadillac yet
Back to top Go down
tigrr13
A Contender
A Contender
tigrr13

Old Man Shoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Man Shoes?   Old Man Shoes? Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 1:14 am

awww... adorable!!!
Back to top Go down
hostutca
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Old Man Shoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Man Shoes?   Old Man Shoes? Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 11:03 pm

That picture is great! When I heard this song for the first time I thought he said ... Thinkin about government AND my old man's shoes and how you'd understand that.

The immediate though was that quite often they both stink!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/cnotemu
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

Old Man Shoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Man Shoes?   Old Man Shoes? Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 11:15 pm

i think we're all talking about Wherefore, not Angry Johnny
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

Old Man Shoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Man Shoes?   Old Man Shoes? Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 7:09 am

Tom Waits has a song cald old shoes and Elton John has a song called Into The Old Man Shoes. I don't think Brian listens to Elton John though.

I think he got influenced by the Tom Waits song and made it old man shoes. I agree about the following his father footsteps interpretation.

just like this part from Rivers Edge

We've been burned by all our fears.
Just from growing up around here.
Our father's factories marked our cars.
While Eden burned against the stars.

He also said in an interview that he doesn't wear blue jeans and white t-shirts because of Springsteen, but because his working class dad used to wear that.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

Old Man Shoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Man Shoes?   Old Man Shoes? Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 2:37 pm

i get some of the references that people come up with for gaslight's songs, as in other singers and other lyrics, but sometimes i think it gets taken too far...give the guys some credit for originality.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

Old Man Shoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Man Shoes?   Old Man Shoes? Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 6:44 pm

steph wrote:
i get some of the references that people come up with for gaslight's songs, as in other singers and other lyrics, but sometimes i think it gets taken too far...give the guys some credit for originality.

oh I do I find them very original (they don't really sound like Springsteen, Dylan or Waits), but they also wear their influences on their sleave so that's why it's pointed out so often. and I think their influences and references is what makes them so great
Back to top Go down
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

Old Man Shoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Man Shoes?   Old Man Shoes? Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 7:24 pm

that photo is awesome, it's hilarious how the height of the boot is nearly half her body size, haha.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

Old Man Shoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Man Shoes?   Old Man Shoes? Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 10:03 pm

Prisoner wrote:
steph wrote:

oh I do I find them very original (they don't really sound like Springsteen, Dylan or Waits), but they also wear their influences on their sleave so that's why it's pointed out so often. and I think their influences and references is what makes them so great

i agree... sometimes i think people stretch it too far trying to link one little phrase of brian's lyrics to another artist, thats all. but yeah. i know what you mean.
Back to top Go down

Old Man Shoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Man Shoes?   Old Man Shoes? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 5:15 am

In a kind of continuation from 'Old Man's Shoes', does anyone know if the 'Scientists Heart' that follows it in Wherefore means anything specific?
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

Old Man Shoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Man Shoes?   Old Man Shoes? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 7:33 am

Tomaldo wrote:
In a kind of continuation from 'Old Man's Shoes', does anyone know if the 'Scientists Heart' that follows it in Wherefore means anything specific?

I like to think of it as being a reference to Coldplay's 'The Scientist', although I don't think they were a major influence on the boys haha
Back to top Go down
Jeff
A Contender
A Contender
Jeff

Old Man Shoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Man Shoes?   Old Man Shoes? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 4:15 pm

I always figured "Scientist's heart" just meant that he was very much emotionally cold and detatched, while recently I read an interview with Brian that mentioned how much he liked shoes and how much he wore laceless, slip-on shoes because of his desire to come off as more relaxed and chill than he actually was - I always think of those as shoes that older people wear, so that's what I think of it...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Old Man Shoes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Man Shoes?   Old Man Shoes? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Old Man Shoes?
Page 1 of 1