DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Against Me!

Go down 
+92
OldHaunts
CluckyB
A_Regular
azlisa
Breanne
LuceroDiehard
rumham
AGoodTime
HorribleCrowe
Jack
Grant Michael
enola
BuddyHolly
ThisMachineKillsFascists
AmSlang59
Jerseyrain
Holland
njguy99
StitchesOnTheRadio
TGAFAN25
xstevenbx
dmac
NeverTrustAJunkie
nebraska
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Angry Johnny Revue
Klown
Rob Himself
TGAforLIFE
plugga
n_nicole
eremitapa
Harbortown
Reinvent good times
DeathoftheCool
Bea
Tiffany
kkent16
Sinngh
Ghost To Coast
colmillionaire
verbos
fullcollapse
simo
clashcityrocker
40 Miler
Henriflame
Perka
Ryan
ral
Tim was here
drifter69
ksupilot
kcdc
steph
Johnny99
loazis
DavyGrolton
Jaywalk
Daggar Slade
rivercities
vamike
I Came To Dance
Prisoner
Stevearm
Vibes
JadedGoober7
thecosmickid
andy.mac
Refused
bradcooke
Asleepontheforestfloor
Jjaeger240
stephendgaf
kieran
sonix
laurendelore
ambrose
Forum Owner
Jukebox Romeo
dandangoose
CABBAGEDoVD!
syebot
Suck_It_Trebek
spraypainthero
billy pilgrim
Stalls_Standing
JoshRaymond
e7c
PatientFabiWheel
hyperballad
JakobDoetman
96 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
AuthorMessage
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

Against Me! - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Against Me!   Against Me! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 6:22 pm

Klown wrote:
I'm going to bow out at this point, not through not wanting to discuss what was said more, I would love to, but I only have a very basic knowledge of the man. To be honest, I probably should have not said a word in that regards, but what is there, can't be deleted now.

EDIT : Tom just posted this on his Twitter.

Quote :
Tommy Gabel ‏ @tommygabel
Thank you all so much for the support and love. It's honestly humbling, inspiring and life changing for me.

Razz i'm not saying i'm extremely well-versed when it comes to politics- even in my own country- i basically agree with you, i was just saying why i was surprised that he did in fact, finally come out in favor of gay rights. Smile

i'm going to bow out too, but only cause i'm hungry, and when i'm hungry, i get cranky Mad
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: Against Me!   Against Me! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 8:43 pm

http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/68863697.html?view=11960222929#t11960222929

: )
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Against Me!   Against Me! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 11:30 pm

So, is their new album going to be called Transgender Dysphoria Blues?
All the new songs she's been playing at the Revival Tour have been REALLY good
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Against Me!   Against Me! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 11:39 pm

I don't think many anti-gay rights people would have been voting for Obama anyways.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Against Me!   Against Me! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 1:47 am

oldgospelchoir wrote:
http://www.jbtvonline.com/interviews/against-me-identity-and-concept-albums

Going back and watching that was cool.

Brendan Kelly called it! what a sharp lad
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Against Me!   Against Me! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 5:13 am

simo wrote:
I don't think many anti-gay rights people would have been voting for Obama anyways.

me either...
i guess i just figured that the way politics are these days, you're either gonna choose the far left candidate or the far right candidate, and granted, yes, most people will choose along those lines, but there are plenty of people that are a bit more nuanced, and i just figured Obama might not want to risk losing any potential votes in that way. i like how i use bigger words when i'm drunk, i apologize in advance. hopefully you get what i mean Smile
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Against Me!   Against Me! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 9:42 am

Wow, I somehow completely missed this news all this time. It's great to have the courage to do that.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Against Me!   Against Me! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 1:27 pm

I'm psyched Obama openly supports it. I sincerely do not get people who want to deny anyone marriage because of their romantic preferences. The idea of thinking I have that kind of say over someone's life is completely foreign to me. But not to others apparently.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Against Me!   Against Me! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 3:02 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
I'm psyched Obama openly supports it. I sincerely do not get people who want to deny anyone marriage because of their romantic preferences. The idea of thinking I have that kind of say over someone's life is completely foreign to me. But not to others apparently.

seriously, if people would just let others live their lives the way they wish and focus on themselves instead, the world...would be a better place.

i hesitated, trying to find a less cliche way to end that sentence, but i'm too stupid, so there you go Smile
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Against Me!   Against Me! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 3:06 pm

steph wrote:
NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:

seriously, if people would just let others live their lives the way they wish and focus on themselves instead, the world...would be a better place.

i hesitated, trying to find a less cliche way to end that sentence, but i'm too stupid, so there you go Smile

I agree with you, Steph. Who cares how other people live, as long as they aren't hurting themselves or other people. This is supposed to be a free country, so why can't people live their lives free of judgement, prejudice, and ridicule? This is 2012, not 1912. You'd think this country, the world really, would have come farther by now. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

PostSubject: Re: Against Me!   Against Me! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 3:14 pm

Going to miss his voice, since he's going to take hormones his voice will change, i'm going to miss Harsh Realms. Like, bigtime.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Against Me!   Against Me! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 3:15 pm

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:

I agree with you, Steph. Who cares how other people live, as long as they aren't hurting themselves or other people. This is supposed to be a free country, so why can't people live their lives free of judgement, prejudice, and ridicule? This is 2012, not 1912. You'd think this country, the world really, would have come farther by now. Rolling Eyes

on a positive note though, i was quite pleasantly surprised by the overwhelmingly supportive tweets to her Smile sometimes people are awesome!
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: Against Me!   Against Me! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 3:16 pm

HorribleCrowe wrote:
Going to miss his voice, since he's going to take hormones his voice will change, i'm going to miss Harsh Realms. Like, bigtime.

Found this on another forum...dunno how true, or how much it answers questions.

Quote :
Basically MTF TS Hormones wont change the voice of anyone, depending on when the transition occurs because male puberty means the voice breaks lower and cant re break higher. Where as FTM TS people effectively go through puberty again and because originally a women's voice broke higher, it will break lower with the male hormones.

The options for MTF are to have vocal coaching, which takes a long time, to produce a female voice and puts a lot of strain on the voice whilst doing it, but will following vocal exercises and stuff the new voice can be good and can be sung in/with There are a a load of youtube vids from the likes of CandiFla or Finding Your Female Voice which give an idea of how it is done.

There is a Trach shave, which may make the voice higher, but the success rate is low, and the complications can ruin a voice completely, which would be no good for singers as their lively hood would be under thread.

Singers like Dana International and that German lass, Kim Petras (?) transitioned early. Dana International was a drag artiste before she transitioned and would have clearly worked on her voice before changing. Transitioned roughly 18-21, but had identified as TS at 13 or so. Regarding Kim, afaik because she wasnt old enough to change, she had her puberty surpressed with drugs so that the voice wouldn't break and her body wouldn't become more male before changing at 16.

So there are options out there for them both whether they sing in their new voices or revert back to their old one would be up to them, some would not do it as it would be still presenting as male, despite going through the change where as others may still sing in their known voice as that is where the money is. Ive not listened to any Caputo stuff so I dont know which way she's gone with that
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

PostSubject: Re: Against Me!   Against Me! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 3:19 pm

Klown wrote:
HorribleCrowe wrote:

Found this on another forum...dunno how true, or how much it answers questions.

Quote :
Basically MTF TS Hormones wont change the voice of anyone, depending on when the transition occurs because male puberty means the voice breaks lower and cant re break higher. Where as FTM TS people effectively go through puberty again and because originally a women's voice broke higher, it will break lower with the male hormones.

The options for MTF are to have vocal coaching, which takes a long time, to produce a female voice and puts a lot of strain on the voice whilst doing it, but will following vocal exercises and stuff the new voice can be good and can be sung in/with There are a a load of youtube vids from the likes of CandiFla or Finding Your Female Voice which give an idea of how it is done.

There is a Trach shave, which may make the voice higher, but the success rate is low, and the complications can ruin a voice completely, which would be no good for singers as their lively hood would be under thread.

Singers like Dana International and that German lass, Kim Petras (?) transitioned early. Dana International was a drag artiste before she transitioned and would have clearly worked on her voice before changing. Transitioned roughly 18-21, but had identified as TS at 13 or so. Regarding Kim, afaik because she wasnt old enough to change, she had her puberty surpressed with drugs so that the voice wouldn't break and her body wouldn't become more male before changing at 16.

So there are options out there for them both whether they sing in their new voices or revert back to their old one would be up to them, some would not do it as it would be still presenting as male, despite going through the change where as others may still sing in their known voice as that is where the money is. Ive not listened to any Caputo stuff so I dont know which way she's gone with that

We'll just have to see mate!

But i'm so thankfull that his wife stays with him.
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: Against Me!   Against Me! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 3:34 pm

yeah I read that she's not sure about the trach shave so she's just going to have the same voice as before!
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: Against Me!   Against Me! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 7:48 pm

http://www.punknews.org/article/47292
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: Against Me!   Against Me! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 9:28 pm

literally cannot get over how awesome this quote is:

Quote :
“However fierce our band was in the past, imagine me, six-foot-two, in heels, fucking screaming into someone’s face.”
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Against Me!   Against Me! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 1:14 am

plugga wrote:
literally cannot get over how awesome this quote is:

Quote :
“However fierce our band was in the past, imagine me, six-foot-two, in heels, fucking screaming into someone’s face.”

I love her so much.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Against Me!   Against Me! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 1:21 am

I honestly don't think a lot of the mistakes people have already made (people getting on Brian for pronoun usage, etc.) are out of any sort of disrespect. I think a lot of people, myself included, are generally fine with the idea, but it's such a complicated, foreign subject that it's difficult to wrap one's mind around it. It bothered me to read comments bashing Brian's (in my opinion heartfelt) post about Tom/Laura.

The way I would say it is there's a distinct difference between supporting something and fully grasping it. I'm definitely in the former, but I also don't understand the situation and the science behind it at all.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Against Me!   Against Me! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 1:27 am

JohnnyC wrote:
I honestly don't think a lot of the mistakes people have already made (people getting on Brian for pronoun usage, etc.) are out of any sort of disrespect. I think a lot of people, myself included, are generally fine with the idea, but it's such a complicated, foreign subject that it's difficult to wrap one's mind around it. It bothered me to read comments bashing Brian's (in my opinion heartfelt) post about Tom/Laura.

The way I would say it is there's a distinct difference between supporting something and fully grasping it. I'm definitely in the former, but I also don't understand the situation and the science behind it at all.

i agree. based on what some people said, i was almost afraid to read what he wrote. but it was overall positive.

that's the beautiful thing, you don't have to understand it, but to support this, even if, and esp. when, you don't understand it, that's the important shit. that's what everyone, ideally, would do.

and hopefully this situation will enlighten more people and people will become more tolerant and accepting and understanding. i'm pretty in awe of someone coming forward in such a public way to say this. i think only good things can come from it Smile
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Against Me!   Against Me! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:13 am

steph wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:

i agree. based on what some people said, i was almost afraid to read what he wrote. but it was overall positive.

that's the beautiful thing, you don't have to understand it, but to support this, even if, and esp. when, you don't understand it, that's the important shit. that's what everyone, ideally, would do.

and hopefully this situation will enlighten more people and people will become more tolerant and accepting and understanding. i'm pretty in awe of someone coming forward in such a public way to say this. i think only good things can come from it Smile

yeah i mean before this i can honestly say i didnt know anything about transgender people, and kind of viewed them as just strange people since i didn't know of anyone who has been affected by it. but now i think, oh tom gabel has this dilemma, it kind of puts a face to the idea, and so this has challenged me to become more open to transgender people. personally it's changed my viewpoint and it feels good to support her. so in that way i think it's huge that this has happened, definitely a game changer. Smile
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Against Me!   Against Me! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:15 am

i think that is great that you can be honest and admit the way you felt before, due to not having much awareness of the issue. High Five

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Against Me!   Against Me! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 9:08 am

I just have to say that I've never been happier to be a member of this forum. Seriously, everyone here has been nothing but supportive, kind, and understanding with Tom's decision, and I don't think that would happen on many other forums, or most other places on the internet either. Good people around here, that's for sure!
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: Against Me!   Against Me! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 9:43 am

Hug
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Against Me!   Against Me! - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 1:49 pm

steph wrote:

i think that is great that you can be honest and admit the way you felt before, due to not having much awareness of the issue. High Five

Honestly, even though I'm an old lady, I haven't had much experience with this subject beyond Chaz Bono. But I never saw Bono 3x in person before his transition so there wasn't much of a mental adjustment to make. I don't understand only because I can't relate to those feelings that Gabel was having all these years. It's disturbing to think how awful and surreal life must have been until now. Even though i don't fully understand, I want to and I'm supportive of the whole move. Also, even though I'm not super into Against Me! I feel protective of her too. Like, don't you haters make her life miserable or I will kick your ass!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Against Me!   Against Me! - Page 19 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Against Me!
Page 19 of 22Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: Other :: Other Bands-
Jump to: