DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Crossroads 2016

Go down 
+7
pwm112
bt211
turnitin2004
mja271
miked331
cmigs
shiftynj
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
shiftynj
A Contender
A Contender
shiftynj

Crossroads 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Crossroads 2016   Crossroads 2016 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2016 11:55 am

Who's going? Which nights? Whatcha wearing? ( Shocked Okay that was awkward)

I'll be there tonight and it looks like Friday, I'll be the old guy in the Asbury Park Football Club t-shirt, probably wear new Scandals shirt Fri.
Back to top Go down
http://vergeofjordan.blogspot.com
cmigs
A Contender
A Contender

Crossroads 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossroads 2016   Crossroads 2016 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2016 4:57 pm

I'll be there tonight, thanks to turnitin. I'll be wearing a Noel Gallagher shirt.
Back to top Go down
miked331
A Contender
A Contender

Crossroads 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossroads 2016   Crossroads 2016 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2016 10:26 am

Who was there? Set list? Review? Heard he started at 10 but how long did he play?
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

Crossroads 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossroads 2016   Crossroads 2016 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2016 11:33 am

I caught some of the show on a periscope stream.  Brian had some good stories about the songs, a lot of insight and his usual goofy/rambling charm.  I heard:

Painkillers
Red Lights
Rosemary
Steve McQueen
The Navesink Banks
A Wonderful Life
Smoke

Obviously there was more but I can confirm those were played.
Back to top Go down
shiftynj
A Contender
A Contender
shiftynj

Crossroads 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossroads 2016   Crossroads 2016 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2016 11:45 am

Add:
National Anthem.

He has a cold and was (by his own admission) cranky but he still did a great set, as did Tim Barry.
Back to top Go down
turnitin2004
A Contender
A Contender

Crossroads 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossroads 2016   Crossroads 2016 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2016 12:02 pm

Excellent show. A lot of talking which was cool, he got on at 10:10, and didnt play his first song till probably 10:20. Lots of stories. I cant say for sure, but I think he only played 11 songs. the setlist on setlist.fm is short. Off top of head remember:

1Painkillers,
2 45,
3 Wonderful Life,
4 The Navesink Banks,
5 Steve McQueen,
6 Smoke,
7 Red Lights,
8 Rosemary,
9 National Anthem,
10. Open All Night
11. The Blues Mary

Maybe missed 1 or 2, but not many.

He wrapped up at 11:55.
Back to top Go down
miked331
A Contender
A Contender

Crossroads 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossroads 2016   Crossroads 2016 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2016 12:10 pm

Thanks

Good too see some TGA songs on there
Back to top Go down
shiftynj
A Contender
A Contender
shiftynj

Crossroads 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossroads 2016   Crossroads 2016 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2016 12:11 pm

turnitin2004 wrote:
Excellent show.  A lot of talking which was cool, he got on at 10:10, and didnt play his first song till probably 10:20.  Lots of stories.  I cant say for sure, but I think he only played 11 songs. the setlist on setlist.fm is short.  Off top of head remember:

1Painkillers,
2 45,
3 Wonderful Life,
4 The Navesink Banks,
5 Steve McQueen,
6 Smoke,
7 Red Lights,
8 Rosemary,
9 National Anthem,
10. Open All Night
11. The Blues Mary

Maybe missed 1 or 2, but not many.

He wrapped up at 11:55.

Thanks I just started setlist.fm based on the thread so i'll edit with your input.
Back to top Go down
cmigs
A Contender
A Contender

Crossroads 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossroads 2016   Crossroads 2016 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2016 2:03 pm

I think the order was something like:

Painkillers
Red Lights
Navesink Banks
Rosemary
Blues, Mary
Steve McQueen
Wonderful Life
Smoke
Open All Night
National Anthem

Super cool evening of music. Really enjoyed Tim Barry, and Brian was really in rare form from a banter perspective. I legit could listen to that guy talk for hours, particularly about the songs.

Also, the show was totally solo - Brian and a guitar, and a couple of Miller Lites.
Back to top Go down
shiftynj
A Contender
A Contender
shiftynj

Crossroads 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossroads 2016   Crossroads 2016 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2016 2:52 pm

Still on a positive buzz from last night. It was really good and we had great friendly people around us. Tim Barry is a class act, too. AND I got my tix for Friday.

Among the things I am grateful for this year (which has been a tough one in many respects) is finding this site and "meeting" you-all.
Back to top Go down
bt211
A Contender
A Contender

Crossroads 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossroads 2016   Crossroads 2016 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2016 5:51 pm

shiftynj wrote:
Add:
National Anthem.

He has a cold and was (by his own admission) cranky but he still did a great set, as did Tim Barry.

I'll pack my cherry Halls - happy to share santa
Back to top Go down
pwm112
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Crossroads 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossroads 2016   Crossroads 2016 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2016 6:09 pm

Going to be completely honest. I can't believe people aren't pissy about that as the show. 11 songs?

Tim Barry was great. He came in an hour late I thought but whatever. He brought it

Brian was just plain rambling. I mean the stories are fine. I don't need them. But for a 38 buck concert ticket I expect you know a concert. There could not have been more than 1:15 of actual music last night. If you were there at 5:30 and left at 11:45 that's not much. At all

Also I just don't think you can do that show in the standing room only venue
Back to top Go down
shiftynj
A Contender
A Contender
shiftynj

Crossroads 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossroads 2016   Crossroads 2016 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2016 6:23 pm

pwm112 wrote:
Going to be completely honest. I can't believe people aren't pissy about that as the show. 11 songs?  

Tim Barry was great. He came in an hour late I thought but whatever. He brought it

Brian was just plain rambling. I mean the stories are fine. I don't need them. But for a 38 buck concert ticket I expect you know a concert. There could not have been more than 1:15 of actual music last night. If you were there at 5:30 and left at 11:45 that's not much. At all

I can understand why you could feel that way. TBH, though, given the way it was billed "The stories and the songs" I kind of anticipated a lot of banter. Given how reticent he is to talk about his personal life I think the small crowd (and the fact that you had to be pretty tuned in to get tickets) made him inclined to "share" a little more than normal.

I was glad to have the wall to lean on by the time it was over, though. Kind of low-energy for standing up that long.
Back to top Go down
shiftynj
A Contender
A Contender
shiftynj

Crossroads 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossroads 2016   Crossroads 2016 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2016 3:22 am

There are tickets on sale again for tonight on Ticketfly. I got a call from the venue before; apparently there was a scalper busted and some tickets were re-released.
Back to top Go down
cmigs
A Contender
A Contender

Crossroads 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossroads 2016   Crossroads 2016 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2016 6:53 am

I do wish this sort of show were at a sit down venue. I think it's an issue of Brian wanting to do the show at that venue specifically and also wanting as many people as possible to get in. You'd lose a lot of capacity in that place with seats.
Back to top Go down
pwm112
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Crossroads 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossroads 2016   Crossroads 2016 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2016 8:19 am

shiftynj wrote:
pwm112 wrote:

I can understand why you could feel that way. TBH, though, given the way it was billed "The stories and the songs" I kind of anticipated a lot of banter. Given how reticent he is to talk about his personal life I think the small crowd (and the fact that you had to be pretty tuned in to get tickets) made him inclined to "share" a little more than normal.  

I was glad to have the wall to lean on by the time it was over, though.  Kind of low-energy for standing up that long.

the way it was billed "The stories and the songs" I kind of anticipated a lot of banter. I thought about that when I bought the ticket and then specifically thought "it can't be that much story telling at that venue and for this price". Whoops

Night 2 was a little better. 12 songs. Some favs. 10min less talk. But honestly I don't remember him really talking about any specific songs last night. Certainly not the way he did night 1
Back to top Go down
cmigs
A Contender
A Contender

Crossroads 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossroads 2016   Crossroads 2016 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2016 8:49 am

pwm112 wrote:
shiftynj wrote:
pwm112 wrote:

I was glad to have the wall to lean on by the time it was over, though.  Kind of low-energy for standing up that long.

the way it was billed "The stories and the songs" I kind of anticipated a lot of banter.  I thought about that when I bought the ticket and then specifically thought "it can't be that much story telling at that venue and for this price". Whoops

Night 2 was a little better. 12 songs. Some favs. 10min less talk. But honestly I don't remember him really talking about any specific songs last night. Certainly not the way he did night 1

Is this setlist correct? http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/brian-fallon/2016/the-crossroads-garwood-nj-63fb167b.html

If so, cool that he played a substantially different set from Night 1 (although he's got enough material where he could do no repeats, especially on a 12 song set).

And I'm not sure where the price comes in. It's a reasonable price for a show that long, and I found Night 1 fascinating and inspiring. You're paying for the intimate experience.
Back to top Go down
pwm112
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Crossroads 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossroads 2016   Crossroads 2016 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2016 9:36 am

Set list is correct and I'm very happy he switched it up. Not for me but one of the complaints about the crossroad show before is he basically played the exact same thing every night

My only thought about the price is if you're planning on playing 11 or 12 songs that's half of a show why are you billing me for a full concert

I of course do realize that the banter doesn't really mean anything to me and it might to other people. Well if you're gonna play a reduced number of songs and charge full price do it with seats or just except that you're going to be able to get less bodies in there

Last edited by pwm112 on Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
miked331
A Contender
A Contender

Crossroads 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossroads 2016   Crossroads 2016 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2016 10:01 am

Almost missed it last night and wound up going solo just as he came on. Thought the show was great. It was exactly as it was billed so I have no complaints.

Thought the version of Rosemary was just incredible.

I may be in the minority but I'm not really a huge fan of when Brian rambles. Thought he did well with that last night and was very funny. Liked how he chimed in on the Hall of Fame/Pearl Jam drummer debate.

Like previous poster said though not much specifically about the songs other than he likes to write from the female perspective and what I thought was a really nice tribute to and explanation of how she wound up on Stray Paper and the genesis of the song.
Back to top Go down
bt211
A Contender
A Contender

Crossroads 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossroads 2016   Crossroads 2016 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2016 10:52 am

I went last night and loved it. These holiday shows have become my favorite holiday tradition.

The poor guy sounded like he was really not feeling well but it didn't take away from any of the set.  Give him extra credit for thinking about how everyone had made plans to come and didn't want to disappoint - feel better, Brian! Nice singalongs from the crowd, which made for the sense of community I enjoy so much at the Crossroad events.

And I  I love you  I love you  I love you  the green and red posters!!!

My only regret - that I couldn't make the Wednesday set.
Back to top Go down
miked331
A Contender
A Contender

Crossroads 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossroads 2016   Crossroads 2016 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2016 12:52 pm

Anyone remember his line about Born to Run being the most Christmas thing ever or something to that effect?
Back to top Go down
shiftynj
A Contender
A Contender
shiftynj

Crossroads 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossroads 2016   Crossroads 2016 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2016 1:25 pm

Unless something changes it looks like I will be solo tonight in case anybody wants to adopt an old guy for the evening (and/or needs another ticket).
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

Crossroads 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossroads 2016   Crossroads 2016 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2016 8:10 pm

The short setlist is because a lot of time is devoted to talking. I love the backstories and anything else Brian wants to say. What I don't care for is giving time to people who want to have a casual conversation about their wife or the RNR Hall of Fame or whatever else they shout at him for selfish reasons. But of course, that is his decision, as he is the one onstage.

Doing the math on how much one is paying per song is something I've never thought of. The ticket prices for bands I like are far above what these shows cost. So consider yourself lucky if this price seems extravagant to you.

Otherwise, he sounded great despite being sick. Rosemary was incredible. Boxer was such a pleasant surprise, as was Stray Paper.

Hope Brian feels better tonight!
Back to top Go down
moosicmaniac
A Contender
A Contender

Crossroads 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossroads 2016   Crossroads 2016 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2016 11:04 pm

miked331 wrote:
Anyone remember his line about Born to Run being the most Christmas thing ever or something to that effect?

Yup, he said that the chime-y sounds at the beginning sound like Christmas lights going off.
Back to top Go down
miked331
A Contender
A Contender

Crossroads 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossroads 2016   Crossroads 2016 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2016 12:45 pm

moosicmaniac wrote:
miked331 wrote:

Yup, he said that the chime-y sounds at the beginning sound like Christmas lights going off.

LOL yes that's if. Thanks.

Anyone have a set list from last night?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Crossroads 2016 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossroads 2016   Crossroads 2016 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Crossroads 2016
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next