DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

LGBT Fans?

Go down 
+5
The_River
Anya_TGA
Harbortown
steady now steady now
shiftynj
9 posters
AuthorMessage
shiftynj
A Contender
A Contender
shiftynj

LGBT Fans? Empty
PostSubject: LGBT Fans?   LGBT Fans? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2016 12:14 pm

Wondering if there are other LGBT fans here.  I find that most of my queer friends have no idea who TGA are, don't like punk rock, etc. This may be an age thing, but not sure.  I know a lot of the themes are about "cars and girls" but there is plenty that resonates with me.

Also it makes me kind of wary to just start talking to ppl at shows although I have done and generally it's been a good experience and people seem cool.

I was really stoked when Brian spoke out about HB2, North Carolina's draconian new "bathroom law" in an interview (starts at about 7:45). He normally seems averse to talking about politics in interviews (or personal stuff in general) so this was a nice surprise.

Back to top Go down
http://vergeofjordan.blogspot.com
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

LGBT Fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LGBT Fans?   LGBT Fans? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2016 12:40 pm

The thing is, even if Brian's lyrics are about cars and girls, they are above all about feelings and about coping with those feelings. And those feelings are universal, no matter what your sexual orientation or gender identification.

Also, music should never be orientation specific, even if some acts are often associated (not least by the music press) with the 'gay scene' (that sounds so dumb; like there ia a straight scene drunken). People should just be left to get on with whatever.

Last edited by steady now steady now on Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

LGBT Fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LGBT Fans?   LGBT Fans? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2016 3:23 pm

Wow. Best Fallon interview I've ever seen.
Back to top Go down
shiftynj
A Contender
A Contender
shiftynj

LGBT Fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LGBT Fans?   LGBT Fans? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2016 3:28 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Wow. Best Fallon interview I've ever seen.

That's part 2 of 2  Part 1 is here.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

LGBT Fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LGBT Fans?   LGBT Fans? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2016 4:33 pm

Yeah I saw that, I thought I'd watch it later!

I'm really surprised that he took the time to actually speak out on some issues because, from what I can recall, he's not really big on talking politics. It's fantastic that he's defending transgendered people and taking a stand for generous immigration policies.
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

LGBT Fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LGBT Fans?   LGBT Fans? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2016 6:11 pm

I like that interview...I think it is really great to see that he supports these people...tbh I was not aware of that law until I have heard that Bruce canceled his show in North Carolina...

and the funniest thing is I am now taking a class about US cultural critique and we are talking about oppression
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

LGBT Fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LGBT Fans?   LGBT Fans? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2016 6:34 am

He already stood out for Laura Jane Grace when she "came out" as a transgender back then during the handwritten days.
Back to top Go down
shiftynj
A Contender
A Contender
shiftynj

LGBT Fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LGBT Fans?   LGBT Fans? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2016 9:37 am

The_River wrote:
He already stood out for Laura Jane Grace when she "came out" as a transgender back then during the handwritten days.

Cool I did not know that. According to this article Brian was the first to do so. I even saw them on the same bill two years later.
Back to top Go down
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
ivienco

LGBT Fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LGBT Fans?   LGBT Fans? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2016 3:55 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
The thing is, even if Brian's lyrics are about cars and girls, they are above all about feelings and about coping with those feelings. And those feelings are universal, no matter what your sexual orientation or gender identification.

Also, music should never be orientation specific, even if some acts are often associated (not least by the music press) with the 'gay scene' (that sounds so dumb; like there ia a straight scene drunken). People should just be left to get on with whatever.

This. All this. And I loved to hear Brian talk about what his stance on all this is, even if I did know his opinion on Laura Jane Grace and the LGBT community in general. I love the fact that my music heroes support people in the same way I do Smile
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

LGBT Fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LGBT Fans?   LGBT Fans? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2016 6:06 pm

ivienco wrote:
steady now steady now wrote:

This. All this. And I loved to hear Brian talk about what his stance on all this is, even if I did know his opinion on Laura Jane Grace and the LGBT community in general. I love the fact that my music heroes support people in the same way I do Smile

oh yeah me too!
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

LGBT Fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LGBT Fans?   LGBT Fans? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2016 4:43 am

shiftynj wrote:
The_River wrote:

Cool I did not know that. According to this article Brian was the first to do so.  I even saw them on the same bill two years later.

http://thegaslightanthem.tumblr.com/day/2012/05/09

And yes, Against Me! And TGA have common "friends".
Back to top Go down
cowgirlwiththeblues
Wooderson
Wooderson
cowgirlwiththeblues

LGBT Fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LGBT Fans?   LGBT Fans? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2016 3:21 pm

I'm not LGBT, but I have the same thing where none of my friends are into Gaslight (although I keep trying!).  That's why I like this community so much -it's nice to know people with a common interest, and everyone here is really friendly! High Five
Back to top Go down
shiftynj
A Contender
A Contender
shiftynj

LGBT Fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LGBT Fans?   LGBT Fans? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2016 3:48 pm

Even in NJ I am amazed how many people I meet who are like "Who?" Shocked I know if they heard "'59 Sound" or "Old White Lincoln" they would be like "Oh, them!"

cowgirlwiththeblues wrote:
I'm not LGBT, but I have the same thing where none of my friends are into Gaslight (although I keep trying!).  That's why I like this community so much -it's nice to know people with a common interest, and everyone here is really friendly! High Five

I am very grateful for this group, too... I hope to find some fans in NJ/NYC area to put faces to names when Brian/the band play here again.
Back to top Go down
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
ivienco

LGBT Fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LGBT Fans?   LGBT Fans? Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 12:43 am

cowgirlwiththeblues wrote:

Hahah don't worry, I don't have any friends that like TGA either, and I'm not LGBT either but you don't have to be anything but human to understand and support another person's struggles Smile
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

LGBT Fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LGBT Fans?   LGBT Fans? Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2016 3:09 am

I hesitate to respond here, as I am not LGBT & do not want to trample on a sacred, inclusive space; that interview w Brian is probly the best thing I have seen in ages. I just could not agree more w everything he said, and I am so heartened by his remarks
Back to top Go down
flannel
A Contender
A Contender
flannel

LGBT Fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LGBT Fans?   LGBT Fans? Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 12:08 am

hiiiii
Back to top Go down
shiftynj
A Contender
A Contender
shiftynj

LGBT Fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LGBT Fans?   LGBT Fans? Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 11:19 am

flannel wrote:
hiiiii

Hi yourself! We totally should meet up at a Jared Hart show this summer. sunny
Back to top Go down
shiftynj
A Contender
A Contender
shiftynj

LGBT Fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LGBT Fans?   LGBT Fans? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2016 1:53 am

Hope everyone is okay. If anybody sees Brian comment about Orlando please share it here.

Back to top Go down
shiftynj
A Contender
A Contender
shiftynj

LGBT Fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LGBT Fans?   LGBT Fans? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2016 2:35 pm

I was cracking up this weekend because Brian was tweeting about his man-crushes. He talked about this a little bit at the Burlington show, too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

LGBT Fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: LGBT Fans?   LGBT Fans? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LGBT Fans?
Page 1 of 1