DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Amsterdam, 15 Nov. 2014 (incl. moshing debate and shoe-gate)

Go down 
+11
Spc66
cdala
NeverTrustAJunkie
emenius
Rose1991
StitchesOnTheRadio
TooMuchGaslight
mven
loazis
McPhist0
Anya_TGA
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

Amsterdam, 15 Nov. 2014 (incl. moshing debate and shoe-gate) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amsterdam, 15 Nov. 2014 (incl. moshing debate and shoe-gate)   Amsterdam, 15 Nov. 2014 (incl. moshing debate and shoe-gate) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2014 6:24 pm

I really liked the show... was their anyone else waiting afterwards? I have seen two others...and that's all

I just get an autograph from Alex R. and Benny...but at that time it was 12:30 am and it was very cold...so I left
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: Amsterdam, 15 Nov. 2014 (incl. moshing debate and shoe-gate)   Amsterdam, 15 Nov. 2014 (incl. moshing debate and shoe-gate) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 9:42 am

Anya_TGA wrote:
I really liked the show... was their anyone else waiting afterwards? I have seen two others...and that's all

I just get an autograph from Alex R. and Benny...but at that time it was 12:30 am and it was very cold...so I left
I had to catch the train back home unfortunately, so I didn't stick around too long.

Did you catch the after-party upstairs?
Back to top Go down
GlennR
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Amsterdam, 15 Nov. 2014 (incl. moshing debate and shoe-gate)   Amsterdam, 15 Nov. 2014 (incl. moshing debate and shoe-gate) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 2:24 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
Thanks for that.  At least Brian is always one to talk about a situation with the people causing it and to show them the error of their ways.  I appreciate that about him.

The problem is that people like that don't need to be talked to.  They need to be thrown out of the show, no refund, no exception.  That's the effective deterrent to this behavior at shows.  Talking is for after he's outside the venue and no longer causing a problem for people in the crowd and people on stage.
Back to top Go down
pleasepassthesoup
A Contender
A Contender
pleasepassthesoup

PostSubject: Re: Amsterdam, 15 Nov. 2014 (incl. moshing debate and shoe-gate)   Amsterdam, 15 Nov. 2014 (incl. moshing debate and shoe-gate) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 4:13 pm

loazis wrote:

To be fair, We Came to Dance is not actually about 'dancing', but it's about moshing. That's the joke if I'm not mistaken. It was written to honor those old hardcore shows where everyone just 'danced' like nobody was watching, you know.

Yeah. We Came to Dance specifically references the band Lifetime ("Jersey's Best Dancers" is a great album), who were a staple of the Jersey punk scene along with bands like the Bouncing Souls and the Ergs. There was definitely no shortage of moshing at those shows.

Gaslight started out as a punk band, so it stands to reason that they'd retain some element of a punk concert-going crowd even as their style has shifted. That's especially likely to be true when they're on tour with a veteran punk band like Against Me! who, despite having calmed down a lot themselves over the years, still plays some fairly aggressive music.

That said, I think you tend to run into problems less as a result of punkers who are just enjoying themselves in the pit than from the general fact that the band is more mainstream popular now. When that happens, you get more people who aren't from the scene and don't understand how the crowd dynamics. You get way more frat-bro douches who aren't necessarily big music fans, but heard a song or two on the radio and think every rock concert requires you to act like you're at a Slayer show.

Rise Against is the biggest example I can think of with this. They started out as a post-hardcore band playing really aggressive music and crowds were always super intense, but also fun, respectful, and with a sense of community. As they've gotten older, the music itself has become really watered down and much tamer, but the band has gotten massively popular and the crowds have become super bro-ed out and almost vicious to the point where I don't go see them anymore (it doesn't help that they haven't released a good album since 2006, but still...)

Last edited by pleasepassthesoup on Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
visible_karma
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
visible_karma

PostSubject: Re: Amsterdam, 15 Nov. 2014 (incl. moshing debate and shoe-gate)   Amsterdam, 15 Nov. 2014 (incl. moshing debate and shoe-gate) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 4:20 pm

Anya_TGA wrote:

where did you wait for them? There was no tourbus or anything
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Amsterdam, 15 Nov. 2014 (incl. moshing debate and shoe-gate)   Amsterdam, 15 Nov. 2014 (incl. moshing debate and shoe-gate) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 7:07 pm

pleasepassthesoup wrote:
loazis wrote:

To be fair, We Came to Dance is not actually about 'dancing', but it's about moshing. That's the joke if I'm not mistaken. It was written to honor those old hardcore shows where everyone just 'danced' like nobody was watching, you know.

Yeah. We Came to Dance specifically references the band Lifetime ("Jersey's Best Dancers" is a great album), who were a staple of the Jersey punk scene along with bands like the Bouncing Souls and the Ergs. There was definitely no shortage of moshing at those shows.

Gaslight started out as a punk band, so it stands to reason that they'd retain some element of a punk concert-going crowd even as their style has shifted. That's especially likely to be true when they're on tour with a veteran punk band like Against Me! who, despite having calmed down a lot themselves over the years, still plays some fairly aggressive music.

That said, I think you tend to run into problems less as a result of punkers who are just enjoying themselves in the pit than from the general fact that the band is more mainstream popular now. When that happens, you get more people who aren't from the scene and don't understand how the crowd dynamics. You get way more frat-bro douches who aren't necessarily big music fans, but heard a song or two on the radio and think every rock concert requires you to act like you're at a Slayer show.

Rise Against is the biggest example I can think of with this. They started out as a post-hardcore band playing really aggressive music and crowds were always super intense, but also fun, respectful, and with a sense of community. As they've gotten older, the music itself has become really watered down and much tamer, but the band has gotten massively popular and the crowds have become super bro-ed out and almost vicious to the point where I don't go see them anymore (it doesn't help that they haven't released a good album since 2006, but still...)

Good points Smile
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: Amsterdam, 15 Nov. 2014 (incl. moshing debate and shoe-gate)   Amsterdam, 15 Nov. 2014 (incl. moshing debate and shoe-gate) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 7:11 pm

visible_karma wrote:
Anya_TGA wrote:

where did you wait for them? There was no tourbus or anything

I think it was the ambulance entrance and I think they do not expected fans waiting for them, because Benny and Alex R. were very surprised...

the bus was inside...but Benny and Alex came out and went somewhere else
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Amsterdam, 15 Nov. 2014 (incl. moshing debate and shoe-gate)   Amsterdam, 15 Nov. 2014 (incl. moshing debate and shoe-gate) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Amsterdam, 15 Nov. 2014 (incl. moshing debate and shoe-gate)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2